Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Alexander DeLarge posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kzyb6o8j6LA

It's NGE as it was when the game went down using the leaked source code but it'll do, most promising SWG-related project in the foreseeable future by far. Server goes live on December 16th (five years to the day of the :soe: shutdown).

All aboard the space yacht, it has Jump To Lightspeed and 8 years of content. It may be the piece of poo poo that the NGE was but it's the closest you'll get for the next five years until the emulator is done and Suncrusher launches.

https://forums.stellabellum.net/

The cool thing about this is that Stellabellum accepts bitcoin.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Okay, that's true. Good point, Marquess. Point for you. But you get a point taken away for being a dick. So, back to zero.

Bloodplay it again posted:

I've been playing this over the last week, mainly solo, and it has been a pretty fun experience. My only other time with SWG was in late 2004 where, paired with an Athlon XP 2000+, 512MB of RAM, and a Radeon 8500 LE, I was still dealing with 5-6 minute loading screens between planetary shuttles. I would often have to wait in line for 30+ minutes to get buffs on Coronet and my internet connection would drop out on the reg. I even had to take a 128MB flash drive to school every week to grab the patch files from SOE's servers (if you knew the direct URL, you could grab the file from a web browser) or else a new update would come out by the time I was able to download the previous one. Unsurprisingly, I only got to play for a month or two. I believe the death bunker was released right around the time I stopped playing.

As far as Restoration 3 goes, I can't really complain about anything. The mission terminals didn't work up until last night, so Bounty Hunter was impossible to master, but any server downtime is usually 30-45 min and related to patches or the chat server. After a couple of hours of playing, there is a chance that you can't hop on/in mounts again for some reason (you can recall and store, but enter/exit mount does nothing) until you go back to char select and relog. The only major bug I have run into is that I got straight-up killed without being incapacitated first by a peko peko albatross outside Theed while taking 2 sec to relog to fix mount issues. Somehow, my character must have kept traveling while I was on char select and ran right up to the creature ~40 levels higher than me. Maybe I got incapped at the char select screen. Not entirely sure.

The server has 5x XP, so if you have any clue what you're doing or join a spin group, you can max out whatever combat profession in no time. I've been doing legacy quest stuff primarily with a bit of JTL sprinkled in here and there. I would estimate probably 20-25% of the active players are bots (most of whom are surveying in Mos Eisley) at any given time, but I have run into other players during nearly every other step of the legacy quest. Because it has you revisit a lot of the same areas during different stages of the quest, it's pretty easy to run into someone so the dungeons aren't slogs. I usually can't even invite someone to a group before they've already sent me an invite. I thought once I got off of Tattooine the population was gonna die down, but there're a good mix of people playing everywhere and I haven't run into a single jerk yet. There're a lot of people roleplaying, which makes waiting for buffs in the cantinas significantly more entertaining.

I don't really understand how buffs work. Master Doctor buffs last about 40 minutes instead of several hours and are nice, but even with modern technology like solid state drives, I usually only have 15-20 min left on the buff by the time I've gotten to a mission waypoint so I just stopped messing with them altogether. Entertainer buffs are even more confusing because I can watch someone until "max duration" floating text appears, but I've never actually seen a buff icon after I stop watching. It used to be required to get doc + ent buffs before doing missions from the terminal, but I really appreciate that I can just rail through quests until I need to do some inventory management. Wounds suck (drat squills), but I would much rather have to deal with lower max health than health, stamina, and mind damage individually.

Economy seems fine from what I can tell. I am not crafting with my character (went TKA/TKM), so I don't really know what that looks like. I think one of the key points of the server is that you can take any piece of armor or weapon and craft it to max level, so you're not really limited by what is usually known as end-game gear. If you wanna craft a basic E-11 and make it suitable for combat level 80 usage, you can do so. I haven't had too much trouble selling ship parts looted from space, either.

My biggest issues come from the game engine. For example, in-game AA is busted (I don't believe it actually functions, despite there being a checkbox), but you can force it in your GPU's control panel, along with 16x anisotropic filtering. This makes the game's textures and geometry look infinitely better, but then fuzzes up the text. You can increase the chat text size until it is large enough to not be blurry, but all other text from tooltips, floating text, journal, UI, etc. will have AA applied to it. If you're playing at 1080 or lower, I can't imagine it's really an issue, but given how small the text is at higher resolutions, you have to pick either readable text or sharper graphics. I'm trying to play at 2560x1440 on a 144 Hz display and, despite choosing 144 Hz in SwgClientSetup_r.exe, I think it is capped at 60 FPS still. Cranking up the in-game graphics settings to max still results in cities dipping down into the teens/20s on an i7-6700k with a 3080. Lowering graphics settings to minimum won't fix those drops, either. There's still an incredible amount of pop-in. Volumetric shadows are really only useful for screenshots or dungeons outside of cities. They're too janky in cities and you will have player/building shadows flickering on/off as people move about.

Anyway, I think it's pretty decent overall and I've had a good time running through the legacy quest. It's been nice to experience some JTL content, since I never got to check that out, and the short loading times are great. I wish I had gotten to experience this stuff back in the day, but it's really cool that I can experience it now. 5x XP is a godsend for my casual self and the community seems super accomodating.

Is this server still in alpha/beta or did they wipe and go live yet?

I looked into this server a while ago but never checked up on it.

Also the game engine is garbage. So is the janky/clunky/lol-what? combat. Its something you have to get use to i suppose.

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Yeah it has been live for a little over a week. No more wipes.

I think in regards to the frame rate, I was surprised to see 2560x1440@144 supported, but the game itself is capped to 60 FPS. There are mods that work on a per-server basis, but nothing for R3 that I am aware of.

I have completed the original NGE legacy quest and moved onto Corellia. Hit enough XP for TKA Master a handful of missions after leaving Naboo. I think it is safe to say I have gotten further in a week than I did in three months on dial-up.

I believe Stars Wars: Legends has a mod that breaks the 60 fps cap.

60 fps isn't all that bad considering the engine.

Is there still a way to macro/afk kill spots?
Like outside of Mos Eisley, just set up camp and macro to get exp?
Or did they take that out?

Did alot of that on SW: Legends.

Edit: Just my luck, installed game, and now stuck at connecting to login server... :o

FreeWifi!! fucked around with this message at 21:50 on Jun 8, 2021

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

You can, but I think it is frowned upon, especially if you're doing it in an area where other players might have quest objectives. I was at the rogue CorSec base on Corellia trying to do a mission last night and had two CL70+ AFK players that kept killing my objective, named enemies, necessitating a 5 min wait for them to respawn. Then again, Mos Eisley is filled with 100+ people surveying while AFK so I doubt you'd get in trouble unless you were actively griefing people.

The login server was down for 15 min last night to fix chat and I'll bet you just so happened to try at the same time. The biggest issue at the moment seems to be that the chat/mail server goes down once a day and it requires a restart.

edit: Looks like they also had a version that was available for a super short period of time in which the IP address in login.cfg wasn't updated before it was pushed out. If you're still stuck the next time you try, go to login.cfg in the Configs\RestorationIII folder and change the IP address to 144.217.75.199 .

I got in, ty!

FreeWifi!!
Oct 11, 2013

Burt posted:

So I think Resto is pretty dead at the momnet so I tried Legends and crikey, 1100 people online!
Made a couple of dudes to try out medic and BH but the first thing I noticed is the inflation! Went to buy a L90 gun and they started at like 100k and went up from there. Someone was spamming local with "capped" POB ships for 40 million!

How to I make money on Legends please? Either that or send Anyhoo or Burtressa any spare bazzilions you have laid about!

I think a little under half of that population on legends are bots.

Pretty sure..