Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Who could be scared of a Jeffrey?
There's a ton more people on Legends, but I just started playing on Restoration, I haven't yet given the CU combat emu servers a shot. I figure I might as well. Legends seems to have a lot more support for the client with UI mods to help with resolution issues and the like, however.

Using the same as my username in game or noisecomplaint on Discord if anyone's around on Restoration. I might be convinced to play on Legends if there's a group starting there, though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

After spending a few days on Restoration, I have to say that it really is the most fun version of SWG for me. A lot of quality of life stuff, tons of quest lines, collections to do, combat actually has buttons to press. It still has the full sandbox but with fully implemented GCW stuff. The Restoration guys are actively doing passes on the classes as well. Smuggler is about to get a bit of an overhaul according to their devs on Discord.

I joined some tiny guild that's barely online, but I'm going to talk to another one tonight and see if I can get in. The server is decently populated at all hours, but small enough that even 4-5 very active players in a guild could be a powerhouse.

The game actually looks pretty drat good still with the various hi-res texture packs/mods, reshade, and some tweaks to make the UI work at high resolutions.

I'm doing the Legacy quest chain right now and it starts you off with a speeder, some weapons, and massive amounts of experience for doing the quest chain. It's actually very fun instead of grinding animal nests for hours.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah I wound up on Legends just because of the player base and it's been incredible. The combat is extremely not that bad and the sheer amount of content is wild.

The big thing is that the server isn't filled with only die hard SWG people. There's a pretty vibrant community of folks just doing their thing decorating houses, having RP events, Entertainer-playing lifers, etc. Which is what made SWG so great.

They implemented all the late game live stuff along with their own content including hard mode instances, the home brewed Bespin expansion is wild, and with the ILM and other high res client mods the game even looks pretty good. Especially after you change up a system variable to allow the SWG client to use the proper amount of RAM.

I'm definitely going to be sticking with Legends for a long time.

My combat character is Noise Complaint in game, I found a very large guild of pubbies that's extremely chill with no racism or slurs or weird fascist roleplaying in Crusaders of Rejects.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I still haven't had time to play on Legends, but its the SWG with the combat revamp right with only like 9 classes? I really like the original combat and skill system of SWG, but might be worth it to play on Legends to see the other combat system.

It's NGE as it was when they shut down the servers plus years of adding onto by the Legends staff. The combat has been improved substantially from the garbage at launch and I would even argue that at this point, it's good. The important thing is you have to assign a button to toggle auto attack and turn on firing abilities from the hotbar, and it plays like any other game's combat system. You target, turn on auto attack, and press abilities on your bar.

The classes are there, but are flexible, with the "missing" classes from launch added back in, or baked in to every class. For example, you can spend points in creature handler and bio engineer on any class. Entertainer has a melee combat tree, trader can use droids and items to do combat, etc.

Once you level a combat class to max, you can switch freely between classes at the respec vendor for a bit of cash. Combat, entertainer, and trader levels are all separate, so you can level all 3 on the same class, and that doesn't go away when you respec, so you can level a class to max in combat, trader, and entertainer and freely spec between. You also get 5 character slots with 3 being allowed to be on at the same time.

The Legends team added their own expansion pack and planet in Bespin which uses more modern textures and looks incredible, also hard mode dungeon.

Legends also works with a series of mods called ILM, which I can post the link to if interested, which upscales quite a few textures in the game. People on their discord have been working hard upscaling textures, models, effects, and updating the UI.

This is what mine looks like with some updated terminal and shuttle textures with the ILM UI. (linked for huge)

https://i.imgur.com/NhXRB7N.jpg

I was vehemently against the NGE game since it came out, but the Legends community sucked me in and I've never had so much fun playing SWG. There's *years* of content and entire planets to catch up on, and theres legit thousands of people on at any given time, it's more active than live SWG servers were.

Last night I was watching a guy in my guild go on a hard mode dungeon run with another guy that decided he was going to be a combat crafter. The guy was kitted out like SWG batman, with cybernetic prosthetics, a completely capped out kimogila pet, special items, throwable weapons, battle rez gloves, etc. The skill trees might not be there, but you can still do whatever the hell you want. Also, you never have to look at another mission terminal again if you don't want to.

If interested, I'd be willing to make a new thread since this one is mostly dead with an effortpost about Legends.

Edit: Also the Staff runs live events like SOE used to, today was Order Fishy Fish, a monthly fishing competition at the Lake Retreat in Naboo.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Jul 9, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

bird food bathtub posted:

Does it have the old school crafting and gathering? I really loved SWG's resource/mining/crafting system and it was a good 80-90% of why I quit when they went pants-on-head stupid "We'll be the WoW killer! ......by copying WoW but doing everything worse."

Yes, the crafting and gathering are in, you can pick between domestics, engineer, munitions, and structures with each trader class speccing into different types of items. The Legends server even has a substantial amount of crafting only players/RP'ers that fund them making outfits, houses, cantinas, droids, etc. Crafting cities with active malls, etc.

I said come in! posted:

I am having trouble with the Legends Launcher working, it's not wanting to do anything when I run it either with or without as admin, and Windows Security isn't giving me any false positives about it being a threat.

Get the DVD Iso from here (r/swg's sidebar link, it's the last DVD they launched and the install from when it went free on Steam.) Install it, drop the legends launcher into the SWG folder and run as admin.

As far as account approvals go, they do it to make sure people aren't creating multiple accounts, if you go onto their discord (https://discord.com/invite/swg-legends) and ask in the CSR Helpdesk, their team is super active and will manually approve you.

A couple things that are an absolute must.

Do not use your 90 boost on a crafter or entertainer, these are easily leveled to max. Entertainer can be leveled entirely afk with a /flourish macro. Trader can be leveled to max with a 400k credit pack, you should level trader as structures and respec after. I can help with crafting materials or you can buy a structure grinding pack from someone selling on on their vendor.

Turn off the god awful NGE controls and put the game back to how it originally played. This is a *must*

For controls. Make sure you check Actions can be Fired from Toolbar.

In the target tab bind Set Intended Target to your left click.

in UI set Select Target and Summon Radial Menu to right click.

and bind Toggle Repeat Auto Attack to a key!

This gets rid of 99% of the complaints about NGE combat and makes it play much more like the original game. You can turn on your auto attack by double clicking or pressing the hotkey, otherwise you have to aim your weapon and it is terrible.

If you are not boosting or starting off fresh you might want to start doing the Legacy quest chain. You also get a free fast speeder once by typing /flash.

If you boost a 90 you will want to do your Katarn armor quest to get your first set of armor. I can write up a little more later, but the Friday Features are a good place to start for information:

https://swglegends.com/forums/showthread.php?20665-*Friday-Features-The-Complete-Collection*

If you're looking for a guild I found a pubbie guild that has some great people and are not tryhard nazis, they have ~5 cities, both factions, new folks and vets, and can set you up with a house. That guild is Crusaders of Rejects [CoRs]

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 00:14 on Jul 10, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Once again, Noise Complaint is a legend. I was able to fix my install with your help.

I started playing like just over a week ago and had to go through all of this pain on multiple computers, including all the graphical updates I wanted so I made sure to make notes in case it turned out to be good.

After a week of putting in quite a few hours, I'd probably say that Legends might be the last spark of the old-style MMO.

It's SWG, but with massive quest chains, QOL mechanics like instant travel items, a ton of more housing/cosmetic items, graphical updates available, ongoing actual GCW stuff that people participate in, the hourly city invasions have things to do for crafters, entertainers, and combat classes, and you don't have to flag for PVP to participate. In fact, I prefer doing them on my crafting character with my beefy battle droid body guard.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I thought I'd make a post on the graphic updates/mods, but there's a great thread about them here, even if it's a bit dated. On the Legends discord there is a game-mods channel with pinned things there.
Nicodemus is the r/swg mod and has a MASSIVE repository of information/files/guides on his google drive.

The things I run, most of which are in that thread or Nicodemus's Drive are:

ILM: Massive Overhaul of space textures/effects, some ground textures, sounds, starports. Cuts out all the NGE garbage from the UI as well. It's no longer maintained but you can still get it at Nicodemus's link. This one involves editing your custom.cfg or dropping in his custom.cfg as it loads its files from SWG's tre file format.
Borrie's Better Skies: Skybox overhaul.
SW Legends Login Screen
Better Rain Textures
Mustafar Lava Retexture
Movie Lightsabers
HD Weapon Textures
Mando armor retexture
HQ Eyes
Better animations
HD Terrain Pack

and I have ReShade running with various filters, CMAA, texture sharpening to get it to look right.

Modding isn't for everyone, but I find that at least getting ILM installed brings the game up to date.

If you want to watch a pleasant British fellow with some informational videos on the server Napyet has you covered. This is probably a much better explanation than I can give.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=miae17AJAaM

One neat thing to note is that while medics do the classic doctors buffs, and are AFK in medical centers, you just have to stand in front of them, Entertainers are the ones that provide the extremely powerful buffs that last for hours. This is not done AFK, Entertainers have to be at the keyboard and custom tailor your buffs to you. So you have to go watch them and talk to them to get your buffs. You can use this website for ease. This creates social hubs naturally wherever the entertainers are. I've been playing mine quite a bit,, and it's been a blast. Entertainer allows you to go bio engineer, has an unarmed combat tree, and makes pretty good money from tips, as well. It's completely viable to play one if that's your thing, but you will have to do work to stand out or find your clients. Entertainers can give you XP buffs, crafting buffs, and major combat buffs. Here's my totally-not-a-Ferengi. Latnium Bill, Personal Trainer.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Jul 10, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Is there a way to download the necessary patches manually? The launcher is having a real rough time getting all of the patches, the download progress just stalls after one or two patches and I have to restart the launcher, but there are 336 patches to grab so this isn't doable.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16RYF-i9NNtooZT2TDUpGVum0I3_Nt7aO/view?usp=drive_link

This guy, Nicodemus, has a slightly different way to install it with a download link with the full game that's updated up to April. This might be preferable. You might just try running the Legends launcher outside of the SWG folder and see if it pulls everything down, I already had SWG installed, but I've been told you might not need to install the ISO anymore.

Either way I haven't had issues with running it, are you sure you've got it running as admin?

Edit: I'm cleaning up my directory of any account info and zipping up my install which includes ILM/Texture upscales and a functional UI that works on higher resolution monitors as well as the vulkan renderer which improves performance and I'll put up a link. You can give that a shot or you can strip the patch files from it.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 03:00 on Jul 10, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Here's the link to the ILM update that works with the current version. I've already done the work creating the custom.cfg file so this just has to be dropped into the base SWG folder.

https://1drv.ms/u/s!AsCjhaPd5kMMiI53AzheNPpkZNlvKw?e=AVXS8A

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Frog Act posted:

Oh hell yeah thanks I wasn’t about to do any .cfg updating but I will absolutely drop a file in a folder. Gonna message for approval and do that tomorrow, give legends the old college try

Yeah it used to install with the Legends installer, but the guy who maintained it stopped playing/working on it so they pulled it in case it breaks. Most of the other mods are just dropping some stuff in a textures or ui folder because the game looks for and will use files in the game directory before it goes for the ones in the archive. People have been upscaling stuff like crazy.

Honestly my favorites have been HD textures for paintings, crafting stations, and all the terminals you find in the game.

https://modthegalaxy.com/index.php?resources/hd-swg-textures-paintings.90/

https://modthegalaxy.com/index.php?resources/hd-swg-textures-crafting-stations.92/

https://modthegalaxy.com/index.php?resources/hd-swg-textures-terminals.91/

It seems little, but you'd be surprised how many of the little terminal screens there are everywhere.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Mos Eisley Cantina/Starport is probably the biggest crossroads for people getting buffs and stims, but also individual player cities have activity. There's an event list on the official discord for things like pub crawls to the different active guild cities and the galactic homeshow event.

Quite a few people are in Corellia for the Empire Day events as well.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Jul 10, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

Okay I am liking Legends way more than Restoration and have decided to play just Legends.

If you need anything let me know, I have house deeds, I can toss you one and maintenance money if you want. My main is Noise Complaint, or noisecomplaint on discord.

At 10? days, you get your Mustafarian bunker, so save 5 lots for that on a character.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I said come in! posted:

I lucked out in that I discovered I actually had an account and character from years ago. It looks like I only played it for like two hours and then for whatever reason I stopped. So I have all of the account rewards. But I have a level 90 character that is decked out in level 80 gear, so now its just a matter of saving up for level 90 gear and being able to do that end game content.

That level 80 gear from a profession is absolute garbage, but there's a quest that gets you acceptable starting armor in an old Clone Trooper set, the Katarn armor chain.

The quest chain is called Avenging Mort and they did a Friday Feature about it. None of the mobs deathblow so you can get through it on pretty much anything.

https://swglegends.com/forums/showthread.php?32233-*Friday-Feature-Katarn-Armor*

Full sets of Primus capped armor with a chest mod baked in are usually about 1mil-1.25mil.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Yeah I can not express enough how much switching the controls back to normal helps. It's a completely different game.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Legends is probably the closest to a retail product you're going to get these days. It's actively been updated with new content, the entire space game is working, and it has a large population.

Was SWG ever newbie friendly? Probably not. Is it satisfying when you start learning to play in the sandbox? Absolutely.

The crafting is incredibly complicated, but well documented with tools like https://swgaide.com/ to help you with resource spawns and what you need for schematics.

It's paced more for going on an adventure than it is quick content, it takes 15 minutes to get your stims from an Officer, get your doctor buffs, and get your Entertainer buff from watching/listening to them in the cantina, and if you die you lose them all and have to go back to Mos Eisley or wherever your buffers are and get them again. There's a tool to help you tell your entertainer what to give you: http://entbuff.sipherius.net/legends/. However, you're not required to rush through any content, and some of the adventures come with great stories to tell. The other day I did my first Lost Star Destroyer heroic encounter, which involves a smuggler player flying you in their ship onto a stolen Star Destroyer which you fight your way through, and that was incredible.

There's a lot of learning on your own that you have to do, but between the Legends wiki, Discord and guild communities, all the tools are there.

There's a few youtube videos of people encountering the game in 2023:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSOP-gIJTcU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NJE3VR66SHM

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 19:11 on Jul 14, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

There's two major community events today on Legends, the first, in 30 minutes, is a cantina crawl across the galaxy

The second is "Execute Order 66 Again." Which is a bit of a mystery

https://swglegends.com/forums/showthread.php?64023-*Execute-Order-66-Again!*

Personally I'm hoping they auto-flag all Jedi on the server as free-for-all PVP. It should be fun.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

SimonChris posted:

Is there any stormtrooper RP on any of the servers? The most fun I ever had in an MMO was being in a stormtrooper RP guild in Galaxies. We all wore full stormtrooper armor at all times, refused to break character under any circumstances, and would march through cities asking players about stolen droids until we invariably got killed by some random rebel because stormtrooper armor was terrible. It was the best of times.

Edit: Old recruitment video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykrbEd_SDbA

Yes there's several different levels of Imperial RP guild depending on how serious you want to be. I see a Stormtrooper guild running about all with "TK-<whatever>" names. The game also has a number of different *trooper armor sets including Snowtrooper armor.

Edit: Cantina Crawl is hoppin'

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 20:44 on Jul 15, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

An excellent addition to the game.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

If you're one of the people that's new to the game come see my entertainer in the Eisley cantina and I'll hook you up with buffs and you don't have to worry about tipping. I usually leave it on my 2nd monitor.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Commando is the standard choice, like Lurken said. It'd be like a warrior in any other game. Pretty straightforward and a good class to start farming to fund other characters with.

If there's something combat-wise you *really* like the flavor of, though, I would suggest just going for it, there's nothing that's outright terrible or can't level. Even Medic and Officer (Space Bard) do good damage.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

I did a little testing today and spent my play time doing the Bespin repeatable entertainer quest to buff players in Mos Eisley and wound up with 4.2m from 4 hours in the Cantina actively interacting with players and not being passive about it.

That's more than my combat character makes in the same period of time without a lucky drop and I had a ton of fun interacting with people. We even had a guy DJ live on Twitch for part of the time.

Being an entertainer main is not only possible its extremely profitable and fun.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Shart Carbuncle posted:

The only thing I've found tough so far about Entertaining for cash is knowing where to be when. Mos Eisley cantina is great for finding people in general, but that also means there tend to be other entertainers already set up, and I feel like a jerk swooping in on their hustle. Even going back to the original game, I always preferred finding a more remote spot, where I'd catch people who are off on adventures, but I don't know what normal players are up to or where they're headed.

Legends doesn't seem so populated that you can just set up shop in any old cantina.

It's an interesting flip side to the NGE entertainment situation: it's more interactive, which is cool, but that also makes it more competitive. No more giant supergroups.

As long as you can suss out the simple etiquette it's perfectly fine, in fact encouraged, as entertainer players are there to socialize and they can get quickly overwhelmed when waves of people come in.

Basically: Don't crowd or block people, make sure other players have access to the other entertainers and don't spam. Then it's just a game of who can attract more customers. There's such a wide variety of outfits, effects, props, instruments, and social engineering to get people to come to you it becomes its own thing.

I have a pretty loud outfit, play the ommni box which makes me look like I'm a DJ that's spinning, and I set my holograms to have an instrument combination I think sounds good. I also run an R2 droid named Dancetromech that has various special effects. Yesterday I had it spraying foam all over the floor along with several other entertainer's droids and played along that they were cleaning up the place.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

If you're working on your Bespin stuff, know that you can get the quest to entertain players, and drop it and re-pick it up until you get the Eisley cantina, then when you get there as long as you don't stop playing the quest will complete and you immediately get it again so you can get enough tibanna to turn in for your jewlery.

I've been hanging out with the Mos Eisley crew for like a week now and they're all super fun to chat with.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

For the hell of it I specced Latinum Bill to Combat Entertainer which has some of the old Teras Kasi elements in it. Pretty much nobody plays it because its really not that great, but it's hilarious. I went half into the combat tree and half into the beast master/creature handler tree and picked up and leveled a giant monkey I named Latinum Ted.

I did some PVP on him today and even got some kills.

Next step is convincing some poor group to bring me through the heroic dungeons. I did all the quests leading up to them.

So hopefully updates incoming on:

https://i.imgur.com/g1VR1J6.mp4

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Just wanted to plug Legends again. It's been almost 3 months for me now and I've stopped hopping MMO's.

I recently finished the Bespin quest chain on my Commando and got a neat Ralph McQuarrie inspired speeder. The planet is gorgeous for a volunteer fan made expansion with a ton of content.

Also the game works wonderfully with the DXVK Vulkan wrapper instead of using DX9. I get 144 fps except in large scale PVP, can force some better AA/Anisotropy than the NVIDIA/AMD control panel allows, etc.

A couple friends and some randoms we picked up last night spent a few hours in a gunboat in turrets just shredding waves of ships coming in and shooting the poo poo. I went to a beach party a couple weeks ago with a live DJ, have been working on a Jedi character and all the extra content that entails, and have been diving into the Legends only Jedi Theme Park, which is an end game, partially open world, partially instanced raid that gives me serious old school EQ vibes.

The upgraded NGE combat is really truly good as at this point it's been improved over and over again, it's no longer the garbage it was at launch. The bio-engineering/creature handling stuff is insanely complicated and a hell of a rabbit hole to dive into as well.

Highly recommend if you're looking for that old-school feel with massive amounts of content to explore, or even just do some old school grinding.

Should probably mention that they added Gas Giant space content with Bespin as well Complete with Weird Gas Creatures:

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 21:33 on Sep 11, 2023

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Levarris posted:

I can't recommend Legends. It may be populous, but it's an illusion. The vast majority of it's online characters are AFK, the community is either incredibly toxic, or incredibly thin skinned, there's not much in-between. Couple that with admins that actively abuse their power and clandestinely profit off of the server via RMT transactions and you just have a bad mix.

Stardust is where it's at.

I would love to play on Stardust if it A.) Had functioning JTL, and B.) Had content.

Myself and a few other goons are in a very non-toxic guild on Legends and it's populous enough on a daily basis that we can get dungeon runs at any hour of the day.

I really, in 2023, do not want to do mission terminals all day every day.

I won't argue with the admins/csr's being garbage and there being a subset of very loud assholes on Legends, but you'd have to convince me that there's things to do on Stardust.

Slogging through the pre-CU combat in 2023 is honestly tedious, and I've played on and off since 2003. On Legends, I can get my group together, go do the dungeons, Jedi theme park, work on the Bespin quests, and do a ton of space content with a pretty large pool of people to play with.

Why would I go to Stardust? What would I do after speccing into the same builds I have since 2003? Grind Krayts?

It's a tough sell.

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Not gonna lie man that just looks like pre-CU combat queues with a slap of paint over them. No JTL is no dice for me as well.

Also didn't you just have a server wipe because you lost the backups?

If you wanted a different combat system, why not do what Resto3 did, use the NGE client with your own skill system (with auto attack working please.) so you'd have JTL.

Legends has made huge nerfs to AFK farming in the last few months while buffing the credits you make at the keyboard.

Edit: Also dont get me wrong, I'll give it a shot before giving it a full judgement, but the lack of JTL hurts since it's available elsewhere. I'm glad to completely eat crow if I like it.

Noise Complaint fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Sep 23, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Noise Complaint
Sep 27, 2004

Disparition posted:

First time player here, is it possible to team up right from the start? (Legends)

You can absolutely go through the legacy quest content/do space content in a group from the start, but some quest objectives can be a little buggy and might need to be picked up/activated for each person in the group.

Howard Beale posted:

I logged into Legends to find they're doing a sweep of abandoned player structures, so it's a good time to pop in and run some duty missions or whatever to re-up your large Naboo castles full of bobbleheads and droids

All the abandoned housing was destroyed within like 3 days of that event starting, people were incredibly crazy about it because you got wild furniture rewards like emperor's thrones.