Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tomarse
Mar 7, 2001

Grr

kastein posted:

This is what a multimeter or even plugging in a table lamp is for... :haw:

Until that time when you are using your lovely Chinese multimeter that doesn't really comply with any of the CAT ratings and you forget that you had the probe plugged Into the current measuring socket not the voltage measuring one....

After that you put all your computers on UPS's and start switching off the main breaker for all works (and buy a real multimeter)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spog
Aug 7, 2004

It's your own bloody fault.

kastein posted:

Well that explains it a bit. I figured it would sort of go away in new construction within a decade or so of the end of the shortage, but I forgot about traditions.

I've oft been curious as to how the American system works.

What do you call it, so I can look it up?

Somewhat Heroic
Oct 11, 2007

(Insert Mad Max related text)

Bollocks, an idea I had for my AISS isn't available in the way I was wanting. Had some good time to stalk lurk so I think I've got a decent idea on the direction I'm going to take it. Hopefully have it in the mail next week.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

spog posted:

I've oft been curious as to how the American system works.

What do you call it, so I can look it up?

I went with "united states residential electrical system"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electrical_wiring_in_North_America
http://hyperphysics.phy-astr.gsu.edu/hbase/electric/hsehld.html

angryrobots
Mar 31, 2005

Fermented Tinal posted:

I almost never turn off branch circuits, but it's not something I'd tell other people to do.
Did your theory courses ever cover arc flash? Because you can get pretty amazing levels of fault current when breakers do not operate as designed.

I had a #16 awg copper wire rub and short on a yard light I was working on (feeding right off xfmr), and even that small size of wire put off enough arc flash in the split second before it burned clear, to pit my safety glasses and burn a hole in my FR shirt.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

kastein posted:

This is what a multimeter or even plugging in a table lamp is for... :haw:
Well hello Mr Fancy Pants.

The gods gave you two hands, and you use them both for your weapon to gently caress up whatever project you're working on.

spog posted:

I got one of those proximity-sensing multimeters that you wave near a wire and it tells you if it is live.
They're called "apprentices".

cakesmith handyman posted:

It's no glenmorangie but white label jim bean isn't the worst thing I've drinken by a long shot.
TBH as much as I like a good, pretentious single malt, I find I gravitate toward Jack Daniels and Johnnie Walker Double Black a lot, not least because because they're both really good value at Costco.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

kastein posted:

You really should. It takes 30 seconds and has no real downsides.

My current house has a fusebox, which in and of itself isn't a problem (my insurance company doesn't care). Fuses are actually just as safe as breakers when installed and used properly, unfortunately this is not the case in my house.

I am generally loathe to touch anything in and around this. The most I've done is fix the double-taps and replace all the fuses (only one of those 20s is correct in the picture). That's not just PO fuckery, this place has changed hands about 8 times in the last 30 years, that's PPO, PPPO, PPPPO...

Literally getting a quote from an electrician next week on a panel replacement because the fusebox is woefully undersized and I want to upgrade to 200A service from 100A. I could do it myself, but fused shutoffs are not kosher with breaker panels here and getting Hydro One to shut your power off requires a reason and they won't do it if they think you're mucking about with something that requires inspection from an electrician. I'm not scared of the feed from the meter being live and removing the fused shutoff, but it's essentially illegal (when selling a home) and the fines and inevitable re-replacement and risk of electrocution just make it not worth doing.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

InitialDave posted:

They're called "apprentices".

Giggled.

quote:

TBH as much as I like a good, pretentious single malt, I find I gravitate toward Jack Daniels and Johnnie Walker Double Black a lot, not least because because they're both really good value at Costco.

You know I genuinely think you and I would get along.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
I'm so glad my home has a general breaker box, easier for me to modify and maintain.

InitialDave
Jun 14, 2007

I Want To Believe.

cakesmith handyman posted:

You know I genuinely think you and I would get along.
"Oh no, I've fallen over"
"Oh no, so have I"

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg
:colbert:

I suspect I am in a small minority here, but the only grain I like in my whisky is rye. Any other grain or especially corn in any significant amount just me go yuck.

stump
Jan 19, 2006

I love whisky (preferably not too peaty, but I'll never turn a dram down), but I just discovered how delicious a Negroni is. Only problem is how easily you will get utterly shitfaced on them.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

slidebite posted:

I suspect I am in a small minority here, but the only grain I like in my whisky is rye. Any other grain or especially corn in any significant amount just me go yuck.

I love rye, but bourbon is loving delicious. And shine is of course amazing.

Scotch is still the best drink there is, however. The more peat the better.

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014

CharlesM posted:

New Rx7 revealed

Hot.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

slidebite posted:

I agree with you that bourbon is yuck, but I cannot abide by barley hate.

Motronic
Nov 6, 2009

Fermented Tinal posted:

Fuses are actually just as safe as breakers

Fuses are actually still faster than even the best modern breakers and you'll find them in a lot of industrial applications.

iwentdoodie posted:

Scotch is still the best drink there is, however. The more peat the better.

Islay supremacy.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

Motronic posted:

Fuses are actually still faster than even the best modern breakers and you'll find them in a lot of industrial applications.

Islay supremacy.

Even knob and tube is still used in some industrial applications, for safety reasons!

Islay 4 lyfe.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

I just never got a taste for a smokey, peaty scotch. Maybe it's just because what I've always tried is poo poo. What is an AI recommendation for a "not going to break you but literally everyone agrees this is pretty good and if you don't like it there is something wrong with you" scotch?

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

slidebite posted:

I just never got a taste for a smokey, peaty scotch. Maybe it's just because what I've always tried is poo poo. What is an AI recommendation for a "not going to break you but literally everyone agrees this is pretty good and if you don't like it there is something wrong with you" scotch?

Laphroaig quarter cask.

Fermented Tinal
Aug 25, 2005

by Pragmatica

iwentdoodie posted:

Laphroaig quarter cask.

Pretty much this.

slidebite
Nov 6, 2005

Good egg

That sounds like a made up name and if I go to a liquor store they'll laugh at me if I ask for it. :colbert:

If that's the hive mind judgment, I'm not against buying a bottle.

iwentdoodie
Apr 29, 2005

🤗YOU'RE WELCOME🤗

slidebite posted:

That sounds like a made up name and if I go to a liquor store they'll laugh at me if I ask for it. :colbert:

Very definitely not made up. It's my go to for getting people to like scotch.

If you don't like that then they just aren't for you, and you're a horrible shell of a person.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

keykey posted:

Oh poo poo, you actually.. aaaah Watch? Doug DeMuro videos? Dang.. I'll pour one out for you tonight.

I've been following his Viper ownership videos just because the car interests me. The Nissan S-Cargo he bought is pretty neat too.

Dude does come off as sort of smug. I remember one of his older videos was something like "The Worst Things About Owning a Ferrari" and IIRC his number one complaint was ":qq: People look at me and talk to me and ask questions about my bright red Ferrari. :qq:"

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Guys, guys, it's winter.

It's time to put away the whiskeys and pull out the gins and the brandies. I've got a lovely bottle of young genever that's going to be finished off tonight

Seat Safety Switch
May 27, 2008

MY RELIGION IS THE SMALL BLOCK V8 AND COMMANDMENTS ONE THROUGH TEN ARE NEVER LIFT.

Pillbug

iwentdoodie posted:

Laphroaig quarter cask.

It's good stuff.

Previa_fun
Nov 10, 2004

The Door Frame posted:

Guys, guys, it's winter.

It's time to put away the whiskeys and pull out the gins and the brandies. I've got a lovely bottle of young genever that's going to be finished off tonight

I've never really been able to get into gin outside of G&Ts and extremely dirty martinis.

Brandy though is good poo poo and I'd love to hear your recommendations.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
Yes I want to drink a pine tree, more gin please.

A vodka martini should be vodka shaken over ice, and... that's it. Maybe some olive water.

I'm too poor to buy anything but plastic-bottle scotch, so that's probably the source of my general "meh"-ness towards it. Always willing to try new things, though.

A good brandy is to die for. A real applejack is to murder for.

Elmnt80
Dec 30, 2012

iwentdoodie posted:

Laphroaig quarter cask.

It tastes like drinking a wooden ash tray. Try a speyside scotch from the south of scotland instead. Balvenie Doublewood is a really smooth speyside with kind of a fruity whisky taste up front with a little smokey peaty aftertaste. Around the same price as the Laphroaig, but much better tasting if you don't like the super smokey peaty islay scotches.

Edit: The balvenie is finished in a sherry cask and isn't malted over a peat fire for anywhere near as long, so it'll still have those smokey scotch tastes, but blended with nice fruity sherry tastes and vanilla from the bourbon barrels.

Elmnt80 fucked around with this message at 03:12 on Dec 3, 2016

keykey
Mar 28, 2003

The Door Frame posted:

Guys, guys, it's winter.

It's never time to put away any of the whiskeys. Hell, in that vein gins and brandies should never be put away either. Drink all the alcohol things!

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I don't know man everytime I go to the gym here there are like two huge dudes with raging high and tights snorting Nitro-tech off of each other's rock hard abs.
Gin's like a christmas tree in a bottle, tinsel, ornaments, and all.
It's been a while since I've had a good, traditional brandy in my low price range, but I've really been into La Caravedo pisco ever since I had it on Memorial Day. It's a white brandy made in the Peruvian Andes, and it's great

keykey posted:

It's never time to put away any of the whiskeys. Hell, in that vein gins and brandies should never be put away either. Drink all the alcohol things!

Truth... I do have a bottle of delicious liquor made out of distilled mead that I've been saving for a special occasion. However, my lady's dog just got diagnosed with bone cancer today, so I'll need something sweet and not oak-y on hand for when the poor dog has to be put down. This is her 3rd purebred golden, and the 3rd that has died before 8 from horrible genetic diseases

INCHI DICKARI
Aug 23, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
God loving drat does the singer of Arch Enemy get me hard

Alarbus
Mar 31, 2010

stump posted:

I love whisky (preferably not too peaty, but I'll never turn a dram down), but I just discovered how delicious a Negroni is. Only problem is how easily you will get utterly shitfaced on them.

Can I interest you in the Boulevardier?

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
There was a "bring your dog shopping" thing today and now I need a pupper.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.

Metal Geir Skogul posted:

A good brandy is to die for. A real applejack is to murder for.

I never really got into brandy or applejack. What would you recommend from each category?

Magnus Praeda
Jul 18, 2003
The largess in the land.
Ooh, scotch chat! I'm currently drinking a glass of The Glenlivet Founder's Reserve (the new cheap one, not the old expensive one). It's quite good for an entry level scotch, if a bit on the sweet side. My favorites, though, are Caol Ila and Talisker.

I'm just a fan of whisk(e)y in general, though. We have a local distillery (Montgomery Distillery) that just released its first single malt whiskey and promptly sold out that I managed to get a bottle of and quite like.

Edit: VVVV That kind of super-limited release stuff usually isn't my bag, either, but thankfully this is only limited based on how much they bottle in a year--they'll release another batch next year--and the rest of their products are usually available any time. They have an Aquavit that's loving delicious.

Magnus Praeda fucked around with this message at 07:02 on Dec 3, 2016

The Door Frame
Dec 5, 2011

I have a local distillery (Quincy Street) that only has one still. They make amazing booze, but every bottle has the same impurities and it kind of kills it for me. And they do extremely limited runs of everything, so by the time I want a second bottle, they don't have any more

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
For something like a full decade, the only applejacks that existed were Laird's, and local-only ones. Laird's is very good, but being the only one you could buy in a store without moving to W VA (shudder), it was unchallenged.

Early 2015 I guess real applejacks (not apple brandy, different process) became the hot, new Indie Liquor Battleground, and there's a few available.

Captain Apple Jack is gasoline-flavored trash. Black Dirt NY Applejack is cool and good. Cornelius Applejack is more of a whiskey, but is also good, if you can find it.

True applejack is freeze-distilled, but that's rare. IIRC even Laird's is only 35% applejack, the rest are apple bourbon spirits.

If I can get Black Dirt for less than $45, I do it. Otherwise, Laird's for $25. I usually ice and water it, or even a splash of diet sprite, just to be So Fancy. But straight is good, too.

For brandy, there are probably more qualified people to answer. But I know a good one when I have it, however pretentious that sounds.

Queen_Combat fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Dec 3, 2016

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

Seminal Flu posted:

Even without that, what was really done? Carrier kept 1000 jobs in the US, in exchange for HUGE tax rebates and other incentives. So, as a company, they are going to make a LOT more profit. What do the 1000 workers get? Do they get to benefit from the major profit bump that the company got? Nope, they get to keep their jobs. No pay increase, although the company is hugely profiting from their presence. Just another instance of the system being primarily hosed.

As I've said before, capitalism requires a moral core (for it to be actually functional for all). That moral core is sorely lacking in the US, being supplanted by money-hungry hogs. Having three billionaires in the President and Cabinet does nothing to assuage that.
The company was going to make more profit whether they moved to mexico or got tax breaks. This way the US workers get to keep their loving jobs.

slidebite posted:

Its real. And on my list to try.
http://www.totalwine.com/p/103349750

ilkhan fucked around with this message at 07:27 on Dec 3, 2016

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Yeah but for how long? as if that's going to be written into the tax code changes

it's meaningless

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Geoj posted:

Don't forget at least 25% of that is commercials instead of programming. If you're paying upwards of $100 (or more, I know my parents' DirecTV package is nearly $130) per month you shouldn't have to watch ads.

The Door Frame posted:

That's why I won't ever do Hulu. There was a time (might still be a time) when the paid version had less ads than the free version. Unless they're also streaming without me needing an ISP to connect to the Internet, they can gently caress right off

Yeah, gently caress paying for commercials. That aspect really peeves me.

Liquid Communism posted:

It is a sad, laughable alternative to flight, which is why I find spending billions on infrastructure to just replicate it with self-driving RV's hilarious.

Ah, I see, I think. You're not saying rail is better, but that the self-driving RV is essentially replicating it, making the self-driving RV all the sillier.

Yu-Gi-Ho! posted:

TWC was upfront with me about the 12 month pricing long before there was any talk about Spectrum/Charter/etc (a couple of years ago) - they said every item would go up by :10bux:/month after 12 months. I don't know how much it'll change now that it's Spectrum.

Since I only have internet, I assume it'd go up by $10.

TWC was upfront that the cost would go up after 12 months, yes, and that it would go up again after the next 12 months to the "current full retail" price. What they would not tell you was the actual, full, retail, non-discounted price, even if you asked. Checked on the web when I was looking at switching months ago, before the sale to Charter.

CharlesM posted:

New Rx7 revealed

Sleek styling.

Saw this as a pre-roll to something today:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IV_tdJRGgzo

That's a pretty mean-sounding V6 you got there, Alfa. Cute commercial, too : "you don't need this car."

edit: I drink alcohol. I like stuff that tastes good. I assume really expensive stuff tastes good. But I will settle for cheaper stuff that doesn't taste bad, and still makes me a bit fuzzy around the edges.

• Locked thread