Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Rotten Cookies posted:

My card information was stolen and someone spent a couple hundred of my dollars in a Nordstrom's in Cedar Rapids. This year's Islanders leave me feeling poorer than that fiasco.

I have had ~2 weeks worth of work dumped on me yesterday at work, to be done by Wednesday. The Islanders have me pulling my hair out more than the work does.

My latest fart smelled like someone made hazelnut coffee using dumpster juice as the water, added some spices, dropped a cube of meat in, and left it for a week. The Islanders employing Jack Capuano still? That disgusts me more than that fart.

Surely the Capper bought himself some more time with that clutch win over the Champs last night

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ImplicitAssembler posted:

The Canucks are only 3 points out from a wild card spot. Benning will keep benninging.

The West is kinda poo poo. Pretty sure Chicago is going to sleepwalk their way to the finals and probably ruin the dreams of Ovechkin or Lundqvist. Or hilariously beat Tampa again.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

double post but i just watched the highlights of the pens stars game

man, i really feel like this is some of crosby's best hockey in his career. really incredible to watch. with how mcdavid has been playing it wouldn't be hard to say there's a new #1 and maybe this is the homer talking, but i really think crosby is clinging onto the title

Well Crosby still has a narrowly higher PPG, so clearly he's still the king.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Furnaceface posted:

McDavid/Laine have done a good job so far this season showing that they are ready to replace Crosby/Ovechkin. The next generation is starting and we are all old farts now, remembering the good old days.

Laine is bizarre. His possession stats are pretty terrible, but he's still scoring a gently caress ton of goals.

e: McDavid on the other hand is outrageously good in every way you can quantify a player

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

cenotaph posted:

Every Penguin had a shot on goal last night except Matt Cullen, who scored a goal due to a trip on an empty net breakaway.

I'm pretty sure he's still supposed to get a SOG for that.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

While I'm totally on board with Murray being the #1, I actually do think that MAF has been off to a somewhat unlucky start. Bad numbers, yeah, and a fair number of stinkers that he should have had, but he's also been in games where he hasn't gotten much help. All signs point to Murray being the real deal, but I don't mind having a bit of a platoon situation given how Murray still doesn't have a big book of experience.

If I'm wrong and MAF doesn't bounce back at all, then I'll eat my words, but for right now I think the Pens should stick with a 1a/1b strategy so long as Murray is the 1a that they play in the big games. Which it kind of seems like they're doing...

A lot of those games where he doesn't get much help he lets up a bad goal or two early and then the Pens are chasing the game and getting trapped. His horrible rebound control and inability to smother pucks also leads to a lot of zone time for opponents against the Pens. These things don't happen with Murray in net because he controls his rebounds and is able to get stoppages.

That said I don't object too much to having started him two games in a row. MM had a few stinkers and Maf did play well against Dallas, so starting him against Detroit was not a huge stretch.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

Blashill has been a great coach at every level and has pretty frequently gotten his teams to play above their talent. I don't really think he's the problem and I'm actually worried that he'll miss the playoffs, get run out of town because he's saddled with a crap roster full of Holland's 3rd liner pet projects, and catch on elsewhere and do a pretty good job while the Wings go through the Dave Lewis 2.0 era.

He could also just not be a good coach, but it's almost impossible to evaluate him properly considering the circumstances

Yeah I mean it's a common refrain to call your coach a piece of poo poo when your team sucks but Detroit doesn't have a roster that should be good. It's not terrible but it's a mediocre roster. I'd say they're right about where they should be in the standings.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Maf is starting his third game in a row. Why ya gotta do this to me Sully.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Teemu Pokemon posted:

kenholland.txt

By the way, while we're piling on Blashill, the 3rd guy on that line last game was Dylan Larkin and that's a loving living nightmare.

Maybe that's Blashill's way of telling Larkin to just try to go end to end all game and do it all himself.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

grack posted:

Apparently Connor McDavid is bitching about the concussion spotter having him pulled from the game last night after he hit his head on the ice. Hockey players really are too stupid to take care of themselves at times.

Maybe he should phone Sid up and ask him how it felt to miss a poo poo ton of games because they didn't shut him down after the winter classic

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
Mark Borowiecki had 14 hits which is apparently an NHL record. He was also horrendously bad.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Man, Crosby is on another level this year in terms of goal scoring. I was gonna continue to brag about Pasta, and him having 15 goals in 21 games, but Sid is at 17 in 20.

I can't remember too many lucky ones either. They've been snipes and ridiculous deflections.

He's only 7 points back of Connor too :getin:.

Mind_Taker posted:

While Sam Gagner is killing it in Columbus, Washington's 2 "big" acquisitions (Brett Connolly and Lars Eller) each have 3 points. And Tom Wilson, who inexplicably was expected to become a top 9 player, has 1 whole point in 24 games.

I really thought Eller would fit better there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

eXXon posted:

Who's going to trade a decent D prospect for Fleury?

If he hadn't poo poo the bed so badly this year then Dallas maybe. Or Buffalo. Or Calgary if/when Johnson comes back to earth.

Despite how lovely he has been this year I do still think he's a starting goalie that could help some team. He's just a below average to maybe average at best one, but still think he's better than some of the starters out there. He's been absolutely horrendous this year but he is coming off two good seasons in a row and is historically a 915-918ish goalie which is not great but is decent enough that some team would want him.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

Nah. Better goalies than Fleury have been traded for peanuts in the recent past.

You're probably right. I do think someone would want him though if he was made available.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

LumpyGumby posted:

N: Avs have lost six straight and are dead last in the league.

V: You guys seriously couldn't have tanked last year and gotten Matthews? This stupid team.

Nolan Patrick looks like he's gonna be pretty good too

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The Las Vegas Mighty Golden Knights of Nevada

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

revtoiletduck posted:

I agree, and yet they keep winning.

They're 28th in corsi close lol. Their PDO isn't abnormally high though. I have no idea how they're winning.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Suspicious posted:

What's their corsi when Borowiecki is off the ice?

His WOWYs actually aren't the horror show I expected them to be: http://stats.hockeyanalysis.com/showplayer.php?pid=1611&withagainst=true&season=2016-17&sit=5v5

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

yellowcar posted:

Carey realizing he probably has to carry the D all by himself for the rest of the season takes out his frustration on some poor Devils player:
https://streamable.com/rwdu

Coach Therrien is going to guide them to the playoffs....and himself to a rightly earned Jack Adams.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
The top 4 scoring teams in the league in goals/game are the Rangers, Pens, Flyers, and Jackets.

Metro gonna score all the goals.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I find him very annoying (albeit undeniably talented), but I think that has a lot to do with the fact that he plays for the Oilers. Put him on Arizona or the Islanders and I'm sure I'd be singing his praises.

With that said, he spent an entire game going after Manning for an accidental injury that occurred a year ago. Cmon man, get over it, you just look like a dink.

How is he supposed to be Sid's heir if he can't piss off fans everywhere?

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Well they have to save at least a few crumbs for Tavares

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Mind_Taker posted:

haha like Tavares is going to stay around for that poo poo show. He's gonna be a Penguin in 2018.

That is not a bad idea...

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

mentholmoose posted:

https://twitter.com/NHL/status/807572618564005889

Simple and bold. Letters could probably be a bit easier to read, but overall I like them.

What is with the obsession with loving black for jerseys? You've got a great color scheme with the orange and you throw it all away to pick a jersey that looks like a practice jersey.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
20 goals in 22 games for Sid :stare:. What a guy.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

My favorite thing about him is that he seems to randomly pick different parts of the game to be the best at each season.

Yeah there isn't a part of his game that hasn't evolved over the years. Pretty ridiculous how he's done that.

This is probably the best hockey he's ever played. I even think he's playing better than the 25 game point streak season right now.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Aphrodite posted:

I enjoy how coaching tactics used on 10 year olds continue to work when they're in their 30s.

"It's a performance based business" *splits starts between a 930 goalie and a 900 goalie*

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

In his first 44 pro games he had 45 pts. He good.

Sucks he got sent down but Hagelin-Malkin-Kessel is an awesome line and Sheary-Crosby-Hornqvist is as well. Guentzel isn't the type of player I'd want in a third or fourth line role.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

nature6pk posted:

And let's not kid ourselves, Sutter will be protected

Doesn't he have a NMC? That would mean he has to be protected

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I remember when Backstrom put it in his own net in the last minute to give the Pens a win. I like Ovechkin's reaction: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QS2K2-WSMWo

Laine's is a bit more inexplicable just because of how far away from his own net he is. Backstrom at least had the excuse of it being a rebound right in front of the net.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

I mean that was clearly the direction the team should've taken after the loss to Calgary (maybe even before then), but when has Benning done anything that's obvious? He took over a team that finished 26th overall with a bunch of tradeable assets (Kesler, Garrison, other remnants of the 2011 team) and turned it into a team that is currently 28th overall and has no worthwhile pieces to move. Getting nothing for Hamhuis and Vrbata was a joke, and you know they'll do the same with Burrows, Hansen, etc. in April.

I'd argue that outside of a couple minor signings and one or two draft picks, every major decision Benning and Linden have made has been the wrong one (and obviously so at the time too).

If they do it'll probably be next summer but I doubt they will. Benning said they won't ask any player with an NTC/NMC to waive it which is depressing. Linden also made a bunch of waves in Vancouver recently by saying that a rebuild is unfair on the Sedins because apparently they'd prefer to play with a bunch of AHLers and has beens and still finish dead last in the league or something.

The team has shifted to the narrative that this is the rebuild. Like that it's done somehow because we have Stecher and Tryamkin on the roster? I dunno, this team bores and depresses me.

It feels like a lot of teams out there are in love with the idea of rebuilding on the fly rather than a true rebuild. You can rebuild on the fly and change up a lot of pieces when you have Crosby and Malkin or Toews/Kane as your core. You can't do that when you have mid 30s Sedins.

The good news is Benning has been such a disaster that the Canucks are still getting decently high firsts out of his tenure. If they're lucky his drafting won't also be a disaster. It's pretty hard to gently caress up back to back top 5 picks.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ThinkTank posted:

There was nothing wrong with the old system.

Just get rid of divisions entirely because honestly who cares. Do everything by points.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

RC Cola posted:

I want the jackets or cats to win the east and hawks/preds or sharks in the west. Is that so much to ask?

The Hawks already have an easy route to the finals since they're in that poo poo heap of a conference. You don't get to have an easy Cup finals matchup on top of that :colbert:

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Levitate posted:

The Rangers play lovely grindy hockey because by the time the playoffs roll around, all the other teams have watched the Rangers playing fast transition hockey all season long and go "gently caress that we need to shut that poo poo down" and so play conservatively especially through the neutral zone to try to prevent that transition game and then collapse around the front of their net to block shots (this is like the strategy of every single team in the NHL these days and it loving sucks) and you're left with a grindy game because the Rangers can't use their transition speed and have to rely on chip and chase and then try to up their defensive game to compensate as well and it's just not as fun.

The Pitts series 2 years ago with a huge example of this where Pittsburgh was just playing very conservatively because they didn't have the roster that year to do anything but hope to limit chances against.

e: The Tampa series 2 years ago was a weird mishmash of both teams playing balls out hockey and scoring tons of goals, and then both teams shutting it down and playing lovely low scoring games

The Pens didn't change their strategy at all in the playoffs last year and continued to play fast and aggressive.

If anything I think you run into problems when you say welp the other team is playing defensive so we gotta :grind:. You have to succeed with what got you there.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

xzzy posted:

Is there any correlation at all between performance in a season series and a playoff series between the same two teams?

I seem to remember the Pens going 3-1 vs the Bruins in the regular season a few years ago then getting promptly swept by them so I kinda doubt it

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Phil Kessel back checking really hard surprised the hell out of me too, Ron.

Seriously though that sucks. 61 seems too young to be having a stroke.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

I was so happy when Sutter was gone. He is a blackhole of possession yet he can fool teams into thinking he's a good player because he's got the hands and shot to pot 15-20 goals a season so you're like huh this guy is pretty good. Then you realize that when he's not scoring the occasional rush goal he's spending the rest of his time pinned in his own end for minutes a time and negatively affecting any linemates he has.

e: David Backes is still upset about Kessel mocking team USA for leaving him off in favor of Justin Abdelkader or whoever the gently caress:

quote:

"As a fellow countryman, and I don't want to parallel it to the military because what we do is not even close to their sacrifice, but those guys that aren't selected for a mission still support their fellow comrades and wish them the best, and aren't going to sling mud if things aren't going well," Backes said.

"We made a lot of parallels to the military during the World Cup, and just in my mind it was something that if I'm not selected for the next Olympics, or the next international event, I'll still be wearing red, white and blue at home and cheering those guys on and wishing them the best. That's my nature. If there's a little comedy that comes out of it on [Kessel's] side, when in reality we had a mission and we failed."

Ginette Reno fucked around with this message at 20:41 on Dec 14, 2016

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

I think that's still a fair analogy given the state of team USA for the world cup.

something something joke about Maf and playoffs

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Jordan7hm posted:

The Sidney Crosby effect.

To a degree I'm sure but Sheary is a pretty good player in his own right. His production is pretty impressive considering no #1 pp time.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

ElwoodCuse posted:

A 10 game winning streak is fun but remember when the Capitals won like 13 in February or when the Penguins had an undefeated March, didn't help them any in the playoffs

They didn't have super long win streaks that I can remember but I'm pretty sure the Pens were quite dominant in March in both 09 and last year.

• Locked thread