Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

from reddit, more Phil love:

https://gfycat.com/LinearBetterCoqui

How many "fucks" can you lip read?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Another pro click:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXOPpLZVQ4c

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Best part is Matthew getting deflated when Toews nailed the crossbar. Kid may be hot but so are some other dudes. :v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

By my count it is Chicago's turn to win the cup again so it's nice that everyone is cooperating with that endeavor.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DirectTV's online only offerings just added a bunch of NHL teams (plus NFL/NBA but who cares about them) for people looking to cord cut:

http://arstechnica.com/gadgets/2016/12/directv-online-only-plan-has-many-of-your-local-sports-teams-covered/

quote:

Anaheim Ducks
Arizona Coyotes
Carolina Hurricanes
Chicago Blackhawks
Columbus Blue Jackets
Dallas Stars
Detroit Red Wings
Florida Panthers
Los Angeles Kings
Minnesota Wild
Nashville Predators
San Jose Sharks
St. Louis Blues
Tampa Bay Lightning
Washington Capitals

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

It involves ice and hitting things, seems to pass muster.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So basically Bettman will have presided over not just one full season of lost games, but two. And a halfsie. And the 100 days back in the 90's.

Bettman actually hates hockey I think.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

What the gently caress is up with Crawford and December? First he falls down some stairs at a concert, now his appendix? Dude should live in a bubble from thanksgiving to christmas.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Sharks Eat Bear posted:

bc detroit sucks

Not zetterberg's backhand though.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

JollyPubJerk posted:

nice job missing reality. refs actually get papers from the league on how to gently caress teams over but I'm sure you want to ignore all of that.

Gonna need to see one of these papers.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

bewbies posted:

If this somehow made it into the blues social media community I would imagine most blues fans would think it authentic

Nah, because Chicago is on the list too and everyone knows when the Blues and Blackhawks face off, it's the hawks that get the ref favoritism.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

So when does the NHL get this. :effort:

https://gfycat.com/AstonishingScentedAsiaticgreaterfreshwaterclam

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

So change to a bright green puck. That's what tennis did.

Tradition. :qq:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We live in a world where cars can drive themselves, rockets can land on a barge in the ocean, and 3d scenes can be built from 2d video.

Precisely tracking a hockey puck should not be that loving hard.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Spelling Mitsake posted:

Is it really that important though? I mean yeah, it could affect a goal call and maybe the outcome of a game, but in an 82 game season and 7 game playoff series does it really make a difference?

In a game where one goal is often the difference between victory and loss, yeah, it's kind of a big deal to know if the puck actually crossed the goal line.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We'll stop teasing Flyers about that goal when Pronger gives us the puck.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

He should pay someone who did go to school to type up his public statements.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

We need that asian youtube channel to do up a video of scott suplexing bettman.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Waiting for the announcement of the John Scott School for Adults That Can't Play Hockey Good and Want to do Other Stuff Good Too.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Don't forget Scott's other highlight, getting Kessel suspended for three games.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zxxpfIQ7n6s

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Knights Formerly Gold But Are Now Shiny Yellow.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Can't wait until 2050 when they do the Jagr episode, got it marked on my calendar.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Why does that announcer sound like someone slowed his audio down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Kilza posted:

Habs have now given up 10 goals in a game and scored 10 goals in a game in the same season. A bit more than a month between those games, too.

:staredog:

Last time that happened was 05-06 Sabres.

Previous was 95-96 Sharks, and 95-96 Pens.

So it's more or less a once a decade event? Hire Therrien!!

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

You either retire a hero, or coach long enough to become the villain.

And soothe yourself until death on the giant pile of money you earned.

Coaching is a pretty good gig as long as you don't give a poo poo what fans think about you.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Crosby is 29 now which is ancient in hockey terms so the pens should put him out to pasture asap on some random salary floor team.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Wasn't there a money issue with Raanta? Chicago's always hard up against the cap and I seem to recall Raanta wanted more than could be afforded.

Darling is a hometown kid too which probably got him some extra credit.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I enjoy how coaching tactics used on 10 year olds continue to work when they're in their 30s.

Except in your 30's you're secretly thinking "I don't have to work and will still get paid? oh gently caress yeah, time to catch up on my steam backlog."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Since everyone knows that playoff hockey is the best hockey, so drop it to a 40 game season to set up seeds, then everyone gets into the playoffs in January and the next six months are 7 game elimination series.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Aphrodite posted:

I like the system that punishes Washington the most.

Don't they do that just fine on their own? NHL has no need to intervene.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Uncle Sam should move to filling positions with a draft. You don't meet your contract obligations you get sent back to the minors.

Don't know how we'd fill the GM roles though. I hate when analogies break down.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Is there any correlation at all between performance in a season series and a playoff series between the same two teams?

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

You know it's a good game because you can score on a slap shot from the low slot.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"The game between the Nordiques and the Blues resulted in a blood bath and the Nordiques forfeited the game."

:v:

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Just keep in mind it looks like it's local multiplayer only. Which is still good enough but I think most people assume out the gate that everything these days has online play.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

i am the bird posted:

Do we think that Torts actually listened to world cup criticism?

Like, where is any of this coming from?

It's easy to act benevolent when your team is playing well.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

DJExile posted:

The Biebs joined in a beer league game in LA

It went as well as you expect it did.

I wouldn't say anyone "held him back" from fighting but considering the site that posted it I guess it's a totally predictable headline.

It was a pretty lovely slash too.

He subbed on a different team recently and was supposedly pretty chill:

https://www.reddit.com/r/hockeyplayers/comments/5hco1m/justin_bieber_becomes_a_borrachoscores_4_goals_2/

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

"I don't want to compare what we do to the military, but here let me do it anyway."

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

LmaoTheKid posted:

Mods, namechange to Baby Backes Bitch pls

I prefer brent burned ends.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

Chicago's 26 "no regulation loss" streak or whatever it ended up being resulted in them winning a cup. :colbert:

• Locked thread