Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
John Quenneville is starting to look like a decent pick. He's near PPG in the AHL and looked promising in his first game against Chicago.

I have no idea on Zacha. I could see him turning into a Draisaitl type or maybe someone like Zubrus, who the gently caress knows.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Which happens to be Crosby's rookie season.

He was calling a lot of penalties that year

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
That was a cool Devils game to go to even though they had no business winning it.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Chad Sexington posted:

Yeah, lots of really lucky bounces. Still nice to have dudes like Cammalleri and Hall out there who can finish dumb chances though.

I kind of startled everyone around me yelling "YEAHHHH!" after the 3rd/4th/5th goals. I always feel bad rooting against Nashville, I kind of prefer going to like MSG or Philly and getting cursed at.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Three defensemen who can skate is one too many for the Flyers.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's too bad Lovejoy didn't torpedo himself ala Neal Little when he was coming to Palmieri's defense

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I remember catching the Devils and Rangers at MSG and the Devils/Penguins at the Meadowlands back to back and the Devils won like 5-2 and 8-1.

oh boy

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The play in is dumb but so is giving the #2 and #3 teams in each division automatic entry into the playoffs.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

ThinkTank posted:

There was nothing wrong with the old system.

Yeah I could stomach automatic entry if it were like division winners (even 6 of them). Maybe the automatic home ice was bothersome when the SE was really lovely but it was better than what it is now.

Not that I'm bitter that the Devils have to chase Washington and Columbus instead of Boston and Ottawa because actually they suck and have been outshot in every game since DeBoer left.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

DJExile posted:

Competition wise, no, but it became a nightmare for TV at times. Pitting Detroit vs. any west coast team in a series was basically guaranteeing you'd only have the home team's audience tuning in to each game.

Could easily go back to it when Vegas comes back in next year.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The whole "Promoting divisional rivalry!" thing is dumb too because they go halfway with it and only have the #2/#3 teams in each division play each other. If it's a 4/4 split the matchups should all stay in the division. It's the most convoluted lovely system.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Thufir posted:

Montreal - Boston (!)
CBJ - Ottawa
Pittsburgh - Philly (!)
Capitals - Rangers

Columbus/Ottawa would probably be a really fun series to watch, but yeah I'm sure NBC would love to confine it to Antartica. Those would be good matchups.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Mind_Taker posted:

lol gently caress that, I'd rather the Capitals lose to the Penguins again than play a loving grindfest against the Rangers yet again (and still lose).

are the Capitals the team turning this into a lovely grindfest in this scenario because the Rangers are like the 70s Canadiens this year

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
here's the full thing (this was the same shift):

https://twitter.com/MarcPDumont/status/808478242164404224

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 02:25 on Dec 13, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
It's too bad Abdelkader wasn't left behind

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
The Presidents Trophy winner still wins more than any other seed.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

triple sulk posted:

watching hockey in 2000 as a child basically made me not watch hockey for ten years

meanwhile I was watching the Devils chase Belfour from three rows back I've already peaked :c00lbert:

e: I still don't really complain about the Devils, I don't think. I mean they haven't won in a while and they've been missing the playoffs but I still got to see a Cup run very recently, Ilya Kovalchuk (strangely still one of my favorite all-time forwards) in his prime on my favorite team, Jagr, Parise, and another Vezina quality goalie and now Hall. Yeah their primes might be wasted but the Devils have had something to watch if you're a fan of them since like 1987.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Dec 15, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Schneider has a .907 :psyduck:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
They're already allowing way more interference on forechecking players to protect d-men from getting car crashed.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

yeah and it's annoying but at least defensemen have to establish some semblance of body position on the forechecker now instead of just checking them into the boards

I saw Trevor Daley stiff arm a dude like 3 times on one forecheck but they let it go because he was in the lane something something, it's really lovely to watch but I guess d-men aren't getting bombed as much

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Zodijackylite posted:

He's still 100% in my fantasies.

for the actual SO stat if your league uses it, he won't get one.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

glynnenstein posted:

If he had the puck, it's legit. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UM9KLOAspZg&t=353s You just can't do that to create space to beat someone to a loose puck.

Why would he have the puck when we're talking about interference? Of course he didn't have the puck. The type of interference we're referring to is the d-man who is playing the puck carrier subtlety (or not subtlety in this case) impeding the forecheck of that player after he has dumped the puck in. Most of the time he's slightly changing his lane or making some contact long after it should be legal to give his partner time not to get creamed. They called this a lot after the first lockout but it's pretty heavily back in the game now.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Dec 16, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bewbies posted:

haha I just looked at the KHL standings

I bet st petersburg would make the NHL playoffs pretty easily

Kovalchuk not playing the NHL really is a shame although I'm not sure that roster is better than what the Devils iced in 12-13 unless that Rangers prospect is really that good in net.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Levitate posted:

He is really good

his backup is playing like Scott Clemmensen though so suspicions aroused

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

the devils are 3-9-3 in their last 15 games. they've been outscored 58-34 in that time frame.

they have one regulation win in that timeframe. it came against the canucks.

turns out that without Schneider putting up a .930 they may in fact be bad

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

corn on the cop posted:

I'm not even sure how much I can blame him with the perfect screens the Devils defense are setting in front of him every game. At least Hynes decided to mix it up by playing Gadzic.

I missed the game last night but I heard he chased Reaves around for a shift or two then got pined

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I don't know if I'd call a Perry a lock, certainly not at the level of those others. I'd rate Getzlaf and Eric Staal (if you put Perry on those Carolina teams after 06 he wouldn't put up the numbers Staal put up) over him for sure career wise. Nicklas Backstrom too -- definitely Kopitar.

Actually if we go to active ~in other leagues~ Kovalchuk is/was a better player than Perry. Like I could still see him getting in, but that's the tier he belongs in, not with guys like Crosby/Kane/Ovechkin/Malkin/etc.

Keith is a lock, Karlsson is pretty much a lock. Doughty will get in. Luongo should, but the Hall is weird about goalies. In the entirety of the 90s they took what 3? Hasek/Roy/Belfour?

Also this is a reminder that Sergei Zubov isn't in the Hall and would win like four Norris Trophies in the New NHL.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Dec 21, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I wouldn't call them locks but they have a good chance. I'd put them in over say Perry.

If they get in and Elias doesn't though that's Canadian market bullshit :colbert:

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

fits posted:

luu also tied sawchuck for 5th in career wins, its entirely possibly that he passes sawchuck the same game jagr passes messier

Yeah but Curtis Joseph still isn't in (although he probably will get in eventually). He should get in and get in fairly quickly, but the Hall is weird about goalies.

this is also an excuse for me to post one of my favorite goalie looks ever:

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 07:46 on Dec 21, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Spring Break My Heart posted:

The bias has been against non NHL guys, like the former Soviet league stars who didnt stick around into the 90's (and even includes North American WHA heavy guys). I don't know of any anti-Swede bias. All the major candidates got in ASAP which leaves a lot of hand wringing over Kent Nilsson, I guess. Or leaving off Zubov and Gonchar when those are borderline guys (borderline out if my opinion counts) who haven't yet waited too long. Oh Europeans who played predominantly in the NHL who do you think got screwed in Hall of Fame voting? And was it an actual European based thing?

There's no argument for Zubov not being in when Rob Blake is in, Zubov was a way better player by any real metric. Zubov compares favorably to Niedermayer even quite frankly.

e: Check out his prime through the dead puck era, look at the kind of minutes he was logging as the best player on a Cup contending and winning team: he was brilliant.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 16:02 on Dec 21, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

bewbies posted:

I don't disagree necessarily but I'm curious the basis for this statement.

Well if you ignore the TRIPLE GOLD ! ! ! (Zubov did win two cups though):

I think this dude is wrong to compare him to Pronger, if you get into Pronger's advanced stats there's a case to be made that he was perhaps as valuable as Lidstrom, and one of the best d-men of all-time, but certainly I'd put Zubov right with Niedermayer.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

Aphrodite posted:

2010 Dino Ciccarelli RW Canada
2010 Angela James C Canada
2010 Cammi Granato C United States
2010 Jim Devellano
2010 Daryl Seaman

The Sedins would definitely make it into the HHOF in 2010.

I dunno they already took Cammi Granato that year

Spring Break My Heart posted:

Zubov was certainly underappreciated during his Dallas run but him being ahead of Blake certainly wasn't what people thought at the time, since Blake had a much better Norris voting record than Zubov and that's really what the Hall is going to look at.

Yeah it's no secret that the Hall and hockey writers then and now are a bunch of idiots and he may never get in, but there's no real argument that Zubov isn't better than Blake or on par with Niedermayer. Blake threw a lot of hip checks so people thought he was good at defense, but the fact is Zubov, through his skating and vision, had a far greater effect on driving positive play. These are the same kind of arguments people use against guys like Karlsson/Subban/Letang etc and they were just as wrong then as they are today.

e: Also putting Hatcher on Zubov's level is cringeworthy. You can say "most people" but those most people are idiots. Modano and Belfour (two Hall of Famers by the way) are at least comparable but I'd take Zubov over the both of them if I was starting a team.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 19:40 on Dec 21, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Unfortunately Hatcher was good in his prime -- Zubov/Sydor and Hatcher/Matvichuk were a really good top 4 (and Hatcher/Zubov were dominant when together), but Zubov was on a whole different level.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
If Burns wins the Norris and puts up another 2-3 years of what he's doing now I wonder how he'll be looked at, he's had such a weird career trajectory

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Patrice Bergeron, too. If Eric Staal doesn't get in that Carolina team will end up with 1 HoFer (Recchi), which has to be the least of all-time, at least in the post original six era. The Bruins will end up, with what, two? (Recchi/Chara), possibly three with Bergeron? Thomas had a HoF peak, well possibly one of the greatest non Hasek peaks ever, but he won't get in.

e: for the record I think Bergeron *should* get in as a Bob Gainey case, and that's he's probably the best defensive forward ever, especially if (lol) any of the HoF voters take a passing glance at advanced stats.

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 21:25 on Dec 21, 2016

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
wait I forgot Mark Recchi still isn't in the Hall for ~reasons~

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

LmaoTheKid posted:

I just went to the NHL store in Manhattan and holy hell its bad. How can you not have snap backs?

that's a shame. The US Hockey store in Lake Placid is actually pretty cool. Overpriced as expected but their inventory is sweet -- they actually had a lot of cool Soviet/old international stuff as well as a good NHL selection.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
I dunno about Thomas. Five or six great seasons is pushing it even by the Lindros/Neely/Bure standard. If you add in the off ice stuff I dunno, I don't think it will be a sure thing. I would probably put him in, because his peak was so great, but yeah.

Kopitar is a lock.

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Gainey didn't even end up with a .5 ppg, although he did win 5 cups. If Bergeron gets another Selke, which he probably will, with the Olympic stuff I think he matches up very favorably, and the Hall loves guys who have a good defensive reputation.

e: Also I got to browsing the HHOF web site and I thought this was kind of interesting in light of Jagr's insane training video

quote:

Jacques Lemaire developed his hard slapshot as a youth by working with a heavy steel puck and his shot was rated second only to Bobby Hull for speed and accuracy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?

slearch posted:

the joke is that the Sedins are women right

good one dude

http://www.theonion.com/article/tony-romo-practicing-for-first-time-since-surgery--33253

• Locked thread