Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

hifi posted:

crosby is good

Spring Break My Heart posted:

I think all 3 of those guys are good myself.

both true imo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

speaking of high powered teams with bad PPs, the Pens reaaaaaaaaally need to figure their poo poo out. IIRC the PP is under Tocchet's purview and my guess is that he's buddy buddy with Mario so probably isn't going anywhere, but it would be really nice if Sullivan stepped in and figured things out a bit

the first thing I'd like to see is actually more of a chip n chase zone entry strategy. right now, almost every time, one of the pens stars will basically try to carry the puck through the neutral zone singlehandedly, while the other 4 guys stand still on the blueline. it's way too easy for the D to break up this type of entry by just putting a lot of pressure on the blueline, and lo and behold, the pens are doing a poo poo job at getting possession in the offensive zone on the PP

i know chip n chase is kind of anathema around here, but i think it's a necessary adjustment when the D is clogging up the neutral zone to prevent controlled entries. the key is that you need 2-3 guys skating hard into the offensive zone to actually retrieve the puck instead of just standing at the blue line. the pens have scored sooooo many ES goals from aggressive forechecks causing turnovers, i don't see why they couldn't do it on the PP too. and once they've deployed this entry strategy a bit, it will back the D up and open more room in the neutral zone, and they can go back to trying more controlled entries

i don't know, this feels like zone entry 101, and i'm probably waaaaaaaay oversimplifying the types of offensive systems they try to run on a PP, but the pens PP has been an area that has been pretty consistently mediocre through the johnston-sullivan regime change, so they need to adjust SOMETHING

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Miruvor posted:

Not sure if this was posted yet, but, the only good thing to come out of that Jets-Oilers game:

https://streamable.com/4ktk

i can't tell what he's saying :shobon:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

double post but i just watched the highlights of the pens stars game

man, i really feel like this is some of crosby's best hockey in his career. really incredible to watch. with how mcdavid has been playing it wouldn't be hard to say there's a new #1 and maybe this is the homer talking, but i really think crosby is clinging onto the title

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Ginette Reno posted:

Well Crosby still has a narrowly higher PPG, so clearly he's still the king.

i obviously checked that before i posted ;o) the king stay the king

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Look Around You posted:

why is fleury starting tonight

why

bc detroit sucks

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

So with that game last now, Fleury finds himself at 38th out of all goalies with more than 8 starts, with a whopping .904 save percentage. He "won" with a .903
Murray, currently rocking a .929, sits for that headcase because the guys really like him.

Hey, JR and Mike Sullivan - this is not a 1a/1b platoon situation. Sit Fleury, and if he complains tell him to waive his NTC.

While I'm totally on board with Murray being the #1, I actually do think that MAF has been off to a somewhat unlucky start. Bad numbers, yeah, and a fair number of stinkers that he should have had, but he's also been in games where he hasn't gotten much help. All signs point to Murray being the real deal, but I don't mind having a bit of a platoon situation given how Murray still doesn't have a big book of experience.

If I'm wrong and MAF doesn't bounce back at all, then I'll eat my words, but for right now I think the Pens should stick with a 1a/1b strategy so long as Murray is the 1a that they play in the big games. Which it kind of seems like they're doing...

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Rusty with a hat trick, so good

Also that Malkin goal was fuckin hilarious

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Any one of Chicago, St.Louis or Minnesota would roll over any team in the Metro. :colbert:

nah not really

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Furnaceface posted:

Any one of Chicago, St.Louis or Minnesota would roll over for any team in the Metro. :colbert:

If Nashville could un-break Rinne Id add them as well.

oh man don't know how I missed this golden opportunity before, but....

FTFY :smuggo:

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

i now understand why letang has looked so healthy -- kessel really phils a hole in my heart, must be the same for kris!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

I think we all know who's winning the Jack Adams this year

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

just stuffed the ballot box with 10 phil votes

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Kris Letang is injured and out for a few weeks, which is only fair after he tried to elbow Pastrnak in the face.

hear that? it's the sound of the pens winning streak fizzling out

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

I thought Pouliot was decent and considered a good prospect, and that Pens fans liked him.

He's gotten a few looks over the past couple years, and I've never been very impressed. Probably partly because he was over-hyped as the next Letang or something like that during the Shero years. But also the Pens just don't have much more room on the roster to shelter another D.

That said, he's only 22 so I don't think he's a bust yet.

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

My favorite GDT happening was "Waive my loving dick off after I gently caress your dog, ref"

Haha GDTs own

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

sedative posted:

https://twitter.com/myregularface/status/809578610394742784

He's back in net. NHL Wheel of Justice says 1 game.

good lord

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

fateo's got goalie issues lol

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Friendly Lurker posted:

I was going to get all defensive but maybe you're right, he could have gone in front of the net too. This is why I try not to post very often :hurr:

drat, that's one Friendly Lurker!

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

https://instagram.com/p/BOI-QDeDjF-/

lmao

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

maf is such a goon

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

quotin myself bc I think this got overlooked but it's real funny

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

waffles & pancakes and their ilk are for the weak minded and pot bellied

which i would've thought was a bad thing before the pens got kessel, but now i'm pretty much on board

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

Rotten Cookies posted:

Also Merry Christmas to all the cool NHLSASers.

thank u

Furnaceface posted:

Merry Christmas my hockey friends.

Even you, PAS.

thank u

and to all a good night!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sharks Eat Bear
Dec 25, 2004

man i'm glad the pens had a hot start to this season bc i have a feeling the next few weeks are gonna be ruff

• Locked thread