Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Rams are really, really bad and made the Patriots defense look like, I dunno, the Vikings defense or something.

Ah well, Tom Brady got his 201st win, and the Patriots have 10 wins. Not much to take away from this game beyond that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

I still don't know if the Chiefs are any good or not.

Like, you can't keep winning games this way forever, you just can't.

9 Wins, and host the Raiders, Titans and Broncos the next three weeks before ending at the Chargers.

They could easily win three of those games and end up with a playoff bye.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

purkey posted:

Anyone have a semi-reliable source for career pick 6s thrown? I want to see how Bortles stacks up.

No, we don't. Play by play data exists only back to 1999, 1960-1998 is somewhat reliable, but not 100%, and prior to that is a god damned mess.

Chase Stewart wrote about it here and crunched the numbers as of 3 years ago: http://www.footballperspective.com/most-pick-sixes-thrown-in-nfl-history/

Favre is the leader there, with 35, ahead of Dan Marino with 30. (Partial pick-6's are due to old games where multiple qb's threw passes where they don't know which one thew the pick-6)

Bortles would probably be super near the top on a per pass basis though. Most of the guys with 10+ played for *forever*

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Grittybeard posted:

No coach is going to look good in this type of comparison but at least everyone else would have done it in less years:

https://twitter.com/RamsPodcast/status/805478762733125632/photo/1?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

e: Fisher and his $7 million salary ranks fourth behind only Sean Payton, Pete Carroll and Bill Belichick.

I like how slightly hidden in there is the two years worth of games extra Belichick has played due to the playoff appearances

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

bvlah posted:

Jameis Winston is one slippery motherfucker.

Are the chargers mathematically eliminated from the playoffs yet?

Nope, they just need to win out and have the Broncos stumble and the Dolphins/Bills/2nd place AFC North team all gently caress around.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

a patagonian cavy posted:

Every single week that goes by, the 28-0 shithousing in week 1 becomes even more mysterious

'Cause there's bad and there's "Matt Barkley is successfully throwing the ball all over the field on you in a snowstorm" bad

I'd say the 49ers checked out for the winter, but they almost beat the Dolphins last week and played the Patriots tough for a half.

Though those same Dolphins just got sodomized by the Ravens, so maybe those oline injuries ended them...

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

I'm a little miffed on the military thing after Ron "American ooo rah" Rivera decided the thing missing from the panthers this year was a randomly enforced dress code.

Particularly on the day where the NFL was jerking itself off about letting players have the tiniest bit of individuality.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

FizFashizzle posted:

It was a well worn joke on here that Gruden could not draft for poo poo.

Or that year he had like 6 QB's in camp and couldn't decide what the gently caress to do with the position.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

fsif posted:

The real reason people clamor for Gruden is because he has a great brand. He's charismatic, won a Super Bowl, and has spent the last few years very visibly projecting himself as a real football guy's football guy without having to actually win a game each week.

I'm not trying to hate. Gruden is fantastic on MNF.

and tonight's Jets - Colts game is Gruden's biggest challenge since starting QB: Brian Griese.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

bad boy in the boy band posted:

I can see maybe "Don't wear dirty, stained sweatpants when you're performing a team function" or something, but anything more than that is just "rules for the sake of rules" bullshit.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

mcmagic posted:

I didn't get a chance to see this game or any highlights but how does it happen that a QB gets yanked after only 5 pass attempts?

Apparently that was into the third quarter, and he also took like 5 sacks and was just a nightmare.

Kaepernick has played well in inclement weather before, so who knows, but he apparently looked like he was horrified at the concept of wind and snow yesterday.

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Blarfk posted:

I think that everything they wear has to be ~*~Official NFL Gear~*~ with the idea being that people watching the game will get excited with the chance to buy their coach's hat or whatever.

I might be misremembering here, but I think Belichick started wearing the grey hoodie as a gently caress you to the league because it was the cheapest, cruddiest sweatshirt available for sale

Pretty much. Also why he mutilates them with scissors for gameday.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Intruder posted:

Wasn't Brissett playing with a broken thumb against the Bills? The deck was about as stacked against the Pats in that one as it possibly could be

They almost had Edelman playing QB

Yep.

Real talk, Gronk allows the Patriots to do absurd things because he can line up anywhere and is a mismatch against anyone. Without him, the Patriots don't have the sheer escape clause where he can just beat up on anyone and make a play. Their offense can still function well, but it relies more on their rub and option routes beating man coverage or isolating linebackers on their wide receivers. They'll also probably rely on Dion Lewis more, because he can beat linebackers all day in a way White can't. Bennett has also been an injured mess for a month, so hopefully he gets healthier as they approach the playoffs.

Luckily Malcolm Mitchell has been coming on and looks like an actual real NFL receiver, and if he can be a decent classic possession guy, they've got another option who can catch those 10 yard safety beaters all day, they'll be able to keep things going.

Their defense is by far their biggest issue, stomping the poo poo out of a terrible Rams offense notwithstanding.

The Pats could lose to the Ravens, but their offense has looked godawful outside until Sunday, and the Ravens stellar run defense isn't a strength the Patriots care much about.

• Locked thread