Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
In Training
Jun 28, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QvF2FZZftY

This film is an incredible piece of Pre-Code Hollywood filmmaking, even if stylistically it is very plain and slavish to the classic continuity editing of the era. I Am a Fugitive of a Chain Gang tells the gripping story of James Allen (based on the autobiographical representation of Robert Burns), a WWI vet you is sentenced to life on the chain gangs of the South, and escapes to tell his story and reclaim a position in high society. The reason this movie sticks out so much in my mind over other Pre-Code thrillers is both the performance of Paul Muni and the final scene, where his character is completely resigned to his fate as a criminal, a situation forced on him by the very system that was designed to "cure" criminal behavoir. It's also notable as a piece of publicity for the author; although much of his story was questioned by authorities and scholars for its truth, the book and movie shone a very public spotlight on the gross practices of the chain gang system and people rallied behind Burns and after a decade of living in legal limbo he was pardoned in 1943, although chain gangs continue to exist to this day.

The final scene of the movie is probably my favorite in film, and I thought it would be nice to highlight this movie for those who havent seen it. You can watch it on YouTube for 3 dollars or illegally download it because it should be in the public domain anyway if Walt Disney wasn't a fascist. Here's the final few shots of the movie if you want to see them: https://my.mixtape.moe/smeumg.webm

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chwoka
Jan 27, 2008

I'm Abed, and I never watch TV.

what a coincidence op, i am also a fugitive from a chain gang (1932)

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

SpaceAceJase
Nov 8, 2008

and you
have proved
to be...

a real shitty poster,
and a real james
is this what 12 years a slave was based on?

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Fisting Amy
Oct 6, 2008

I went to work and the office girls were all burning their poetry
I liked this movie and I'm glad it is more available now than it was back when I had to specially record it off AMC. There was always a chance when you recorded stuff that instead of the last or first 20 minutes of your movie you'd get a series of weird musical shorts.

• Locked thread