Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
this gam eis real cool it';s like if Amped 2 continued on being serious instead of a joke fest that is amped 3 but open world.

i dont understand the structure of the game though it's confusing, the open world is fun though and loads of customization so you can make the qtpie you want

buy it goons

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Womyn Capote
Jul 5, 2004

game is fun but the multiplayer aspect is real wonky. theres like no real reason to group with randos, if anyone even accepts your invite... and you cant otherwise use voice chat unless your grouped so all these people on the route youre on might as well be bots or timestamps or whatever... tp me the biggest dissapointment because i dont wanna deal with people on a friends list

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I really want to like/buy this game but it sounds like it's exactly like the alpha/beta and they were boring with bad controls and "feel."

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i dunno its fun in a cruise around a mountain set your own goals kind of way and it nails that "sliding on top of the snow" feeling of skiing. the jumping is kind of wonky though.

it controls like 1080 did to me so ymmv

Noun Verber
Oct 12, 2006

Cool party, guys.
SNOW is free and pretty neat.

Dog Fat Man Chaser
Jan 13, 2009

maybe being miserable
is not unpredictable
maybe that's
the problem
with me
I thought SNOW was really bad and not worth playing even free. :shrug:

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Game looks interesting, but not $79.99 on steam interesting.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

They went for the "simulation" angle yet allow poo poo like this

https://gfycat.com/DelightfulGrouchyHen

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
i've seen some things like that yeah but you can ignore any tricking if you want.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.
downloaded this when it was in open beta.

"Installing uplay..."

alt-f4

nope.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Empress Brosephine posted:

i dunno its fun in a cruise around a mountain set your own goals kind of way and it nails that "sliding on top of the snow" feeling of skiing. the jumping is kind of wonky though.

it controls like 1080 did to me so ymmv

It's very much a "make your own fun" style game, in that the tools are built in to the game to share and compete lines anywhere on the mountains. I spent most of yesterday just doing runs and trying to beat gold scores on the pre-made challenges with some friends. It really helps to have friends to play with, no question, because the visceral thrill of beating your friend's time on a tough wingsuit challenge by three hundredths of a second on his very first try while making fun of them on voice about how you're absolutely about to do that...not that I am bitter.

You can stop and spectate anyone you're grouped with at any time, so it's fun to compare techniques and talk shop while looking at what they're doing. There's also essentially no load times. Reset your run and you're there instantly. Pick someplace else on the mountain? You're just there, and can get moving immediately. That's awesome.

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah its quite a technological marvel.

The game captures that "let me hike up again and try this line out again" feeling of real snowboarding. it's cool.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I can get it for $50 Cdn ($30 off) on ps4 but I still keep waffling. But I'm thinking about it so much that I figure at this point I need to try it myself even if there's a chance I won't have long term fun with it.

edit: is the guy who talks to you the same guy as the radio dj in The Division? Sure sounds like it.

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Dec 4, 2016

Caufman
May 7, 2007

Noun Verber posted:

SNOW is free and pretty neat.

SkiFree, too!

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

UnfortunateSexFart posted:

I can get it for $50 Cdn ($30 off) on ps4 but I still keep waffling. But I'm thinking about it so much that I figure at this point I need to try it myself even if there's a chance I won't have long term fun with it.

edit: is the guy who talks to you the same guy as the radio dj in The Division? Sure sounds like it.

I think it's a cool game. If you're lookin for a SSX tricck fest you won't like it, but it's like a comfortable mix between Amped 2 and 1080 Snowboarding. I like it. :shrug:

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I think it's a cool game. If you're lookin for a SSX tricck fest you won't like it, but it's like a comfortable mix between Amped 2 and 1080 Snowboarding. I like it. :shrug:

Never played Amped 2 but 3 was my fav snowboarding game over SSX (never played its sequels though). It was pretty arcade/silly.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aP29qq9dQeI&t=130s

Seems like Steep could've used some silliness beyond the costumes.

Gay Horney
Feb 10, 2013

by Reene
Has there ever been a snowboarding game as good as SSX Tricky?

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Gay Horney posted:

Has there ever been a snowboarding game as good as SSX Tricky?

SSX3 is the best snowboarding game of all time IMHO. Tricky was too unrelaistic for me (same with why I don't like Amped 3).

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.

SSX3 is the best snowboarding game of all time IMHO.

Agreed. I want to buy Steep because it seemed like for a fleeting moment it might be like SSX3, but alas I think it's just going to be a big pile of poo poo.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

givepatajob posted:

Agreed. I want to buy Steep because it seemed like for a fleeting moment it might be like SSX3, but alas I think it's just going to be a big pile of poo poo.
It's like SSX3 but more so. Fewer Uber tricks though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O8jIy_5gcNQ

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
I am absolutely in love with this game. Theres a few bugs to work out to be sure and I hope they improve how the mountains are populated but as far as a massive open extreme skiing/snowboarding sim in the Alps its pretty much heaven. The world is gorgeous, and absolutely massive (i've had runs that have lasted 20+ minutes, this world is deceptively large, and i frequently find myself overestimating how far down i've gone when looking at the map) . Skiing the summit of Mont Blanc in this game is just amazing. And yeah this is pretty much a "make your own fun" game, and I especially like that it automatically traces every single run you make, and you can make your own races or checkpoint races from your runs. The controls are smooth and satisfying, and I love that the music rises in intensity as your multiplier goes up, the ambient music in this game is fantastic. This is pretty much just a chill out game - if the idea of exploring around just enjoying going down mountains however you like while enjoying the scenery the whole way appeals to you I don't see how you wouldn't love this game.

Phyein fucked around with this message at 00:04 on Dec 5, 2016

Empress Brosephine
Mar 31, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Yeah I wouldn't call it poo poo at all and i'll give it props, it definitely feels loving steep as poo poo at times and it nails that feeling, plus even the first person skiing and nsowboarding feels amazing at times.

The thing that amazes me the most if they nail the feeling of skiing, that's so cool.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
This game really really needs three things:

1. A list of all challenges and spots.

2. A button mapped to toggle between walking and on board/skis.

3. Skate style camera positioning and transition style for replays.

Aside from those two minor complaints, this game is dope and is 100% the spiritual sequel to amped 2/3 with a bit of skate mixed in. The world is beautiful and you can really get sucked in to landing the perfect line when you find a nice set of cliffs or jumps or whatever. Even just trying to go to some random peak and see if you can make it down is great. The game really captures the feeling of no control when you're going really fast on a snowboard as well as the sense of height when you're up on a mountain trail.

I'm not sure it's worth 60 though. I'm happy with my purchase because snowboarding and skateboarding games that attempt some sort of simulation are a relatively niche genre I enjoy. I haven't unlocked the whole map yet and while it's all pretty, I wish certain areas felt more distinct. It seems like a lot of the map sticks to the Alps theme but I wish they went a little more fantastical and made sort of a zoned/themed style map - as is now, it feels like a good 1/3 of the map is gently caress off glacial ice fields.

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Did they add some sort of Hud /on/off feature for release? That was one of the few things that stuck out in the beta.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

causticBeet posted:

It seems like a lot of the map sticks to the Alps theme but I wish they went a little more fantastical and made sort of a zoned/themed style map - as is now, it feels like a good 1/3 of the map is gently caress off glacial ice fields.
This being the Alps map that almost seems appropriate. When the Alaska map comes (they say "post-release") I imagine there'll be some slight differences.

You can turn the hud off in spectate and replays, but in the main game I haven't found that option yet.

Joakim Brecht
Aug 20, 2013
I love the concept and I had some fun times messing around with a friend, but the basic gameplay just felt too janky for me.

Konstantin
Jun 20, 2005
And the Lord said, "Look, they are one people, and they have all one language; and this is only the beginning of what they will do; nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
I've watched a bit of it on Twitch, and I don't think a full price game should have this much gratuitous advertising. The game may as well be called Steep: brought to you by GoPro. It's a shame because it looks fun, and I may pick it up once it hits the bargain bin.

ambient oatmeal
Jun 23, 2012

This game is Art

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZKIaikeSn3Q

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Casnorf posted:

This being the Alps map that almost seems appropriate. When the Alaska map comes (they say "post-release") I imagine there'll be some slight differences.

You can turn the hud off in spectate and replays, but in the main game I haven't found that option yet.

One of the international Amazons leaked that there will be Japan and Norway mountains too. Might be fake but that would probably mean Mt Fuji style volcano and uh... fjords?

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

Just got my copy. Looks and runs better on PS4 Pro with a 4k tv, but tricks and jumping are still pretty bad and the clipping on cabin roofs etc seems to suggest they don't want you doing anything remotely "wacky."

Hoping they fix it up like Ubi did with RS Siege and others. I don't hate it but it is not reaching its potential. I like how much variety they squeezed out of a basic realistic mountain.

edit: IGN finally posted their review:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UM-4TOGSyI

UnfortunateSexFart fucked around with this message at 12:42 on Dec 8, 2016

Au Revoir Shosanna
Feb 17, 2011

i support this government and/or service
Game is pretty cool, super chill. I'm enjoying myself so far. Controls can be a little janky, especially around tricks and the camera but it absolutely nails the sliding down a hill aspect. Sound design is on point, too.

Seems like there's a lot of potential for it to grow and improve with new mountains and such. Devs seems passionate about it, hopefully they support it for a while and don't just abandon it once the first round of DLC is out the door.

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Au Revoir Shosanna posted:

hopefully they support it for a while and don't just abandon it once the first round of DLC is out the door.

It's looking more and more like ubi is discovering the some success with long-tail games. I'm optimistic, cautiously.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

I want to enjoy this and the "go fast downhill" stuff feels pretty good, but it sort of suffers a bit when you go airborne. Like, you can't prewind spins and flips, so you have to move the stick as you leave the ground and not necessarily when you release the trigger. And there are still times when the game doesn't realize I've jumped off a ledge or ramp and I'll get magnetized back to the ground, though that generally happens on the sort of natural ramps like rocks. Plus, landing is kind of rough and if you take too many large jumps in a row, your character eventually just falls from the stress.

I'm enjoying it now for just cruising around, but I don't know how long it'll hold me. In fact, it kind of just makes me sad there aren't really any more ssx games.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU

Poops Mcgoots posted:

I want to enjoy this and the "go fast downhill" stuff feels pretty good, but it sort of suffers a bit when you go airborne. Like, you can't prewind spins and flips, so you have to move the stick as you leave the ground and not necessarily when you release the trigger. And there are still times when the game doesn't realize I've jumped off a ledge or ramp and I'll get magnetized back to the ground, though that generally happens on the sort of natural ramps like rocks. Plus, landing is kind of rough and if you take too many large jumps in a row, your character eventually just falls from the stress.

I'm enjoying it now for just cruising around, but I don't know how long it'll hold me. In fact, it kind of just makes me sad there aren't really any more ssx games.

How you're spinning and when you let go of a grab have huge huge effects on how you land big jumps. I think the lack of a pre spin makes sense because they're definitely going for more of a skate vibe than an ssx vibe.

This game is still fun and I enjoy it, but it will definitely be a hosed moment when they decide to charge 15 dollars for some DLC. This game is a stretch but acceptable at 60$, but an absolute joke value wise above that. I hope they mock the siege model where actual content is free or achievable without spending actual dollars.

Phyein
Jun 19, 2009

~Sucka Tried To Play Me
But You Never Paid Me, Never, Oh No You Didn't~
~Pay Back Is A Comin, You Will Be Runnin Forever~
Ok so it seems a good chunk of the complaints are that people are trying to do tricks like they would in SSX despite this game amazingly enough not being SSX sounds about right

I think they need a bit more of a tutorial. This isnt a jump in place 6 feet straight in the air game, and the control scheme is not copy pasted from SSX. I think people would appreciate it more if they took some time to learn what you can and cant do, personally I like simpler and more precise tricking here than the "spasms in the air"

Though really the downhill and exploration is what this game is truly about at its core and I love that

Phyein fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Dec 10, 2016

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Phyein posted:

not being SSX

This does appear to be the game's cardinal sin.

I'm playing it in shorter bursts, having a lot of fun with the score attack challenges and occasionally paragliding into a drop zone I spotted on a free descent. It's chill when I want it to be and super intense when I want that. I spent an hour just watching a friend try to make Daily #1 on Golden Glacier, just talking shop and trying to plan a better route.

UnfortunateSexFart
May 18, 2008

𒃻 𒌓𒁉𒋫 𒆷𒁀𒅅𒆷
𒆠𒂖 𒌉 𒌫 𒁮𒈠𒈾𒅗 𒂉 𒉡𒌒𒂉𒊑

I keep coming back to this game over all the other AAA releases which is really weird. I still find tricks frustrating but the rest of the game is great, even paragliding doesn't suck. Almost at the max level of 25 and thinking about holding onto it rather than selling quickly as usual. Curious to see how different Alaska is.

I can't do any of the hard wingsuit missions though, basically impossible. And I hate how much UI poo poo obscures my vision.

causticBeet
Mar 2, 2010

BIG VINCE COMIN FOR YOU
Apparently you can jump off the top of the air balloons - https://youtu.be/cuPUENn3bFE

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Ugh I want to like this game so bad but the momentum and speed feels so off. I feel like when I am not actively holding forward on the stick I just slow to a drat crawl

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AndrewP
Apr 21, 2010

Eh I kinda figured it out. Game is pretty fun and chill

• Locked thread