Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
I wanted to make it end with "Rock, Country, and Chance the Rapper," but it wouldn't fit :saddowns:

For this month, we actually know the guests before the first episode! And thus I am finally able to make use of the Druk font graphics I'd painstakingly created at the start of the season.

This will be Emma Stone's third time hosting, having previously hosted shows around this time of year in 2011 and 2010. She also made a guest appearance in a Roseanne Roseannadanna tribute on the 40th Anniversary Special early last year. SNL kindly created a sizzle reel of highlights from these episodes:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JIcCG2sHSLg

And just because I like it and it's nicely done:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QrWLxSyHo6Y

Suffice to say, expect good things tonight from Stone. She's funny and wicked game for anything.

Shawn Mendes is a Canadian singer-songwriter. His latest album, Illuminate, was released September 23rd, and the latest single, "Mercy," was released October 18th.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KkGVmN68ByU

Like most 30-something men, I am unfamiliar with this young man, though I understand the kids these days fancy him. Listening to "Mercy" right now, I hear nothing that interests me. Ergo I stop writing.

--------

John Cena is a wrestle man with muscles who does rapping and acting, and comedy. I don't follow wrassle time so that's out of my purview. He is popular with Goons though so I'm sure he'll be well-received here. The little I've seen on him acting, in the Amy Schumer film Trainwreck, was definitely funny. Check out the bonus footage from the film if you can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZDbhvMyusZ8

Maren Morris is a country singer who, though she's been performing and releasing albums for over a decade, only recently got signed to a major label last year after he self-titled EP became a sensation. Her fourth studio album and first major label release, Hero, was released in June, and the two lead singles, "My Church" and "80s Mercedes," were released in January and June, respectively.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m9md97nN_SQ

As far as modern pop-country is concerned, I've heard worse. These two singles are pretty old by now, so there's every chance she'll use her SNL spotlight to debut a new single.

--------

Casey Affleck, better known as Ben Affleck's brother, is an actor. Nothing about him seems outstanding to me, dunno why they're giving him the Christmas show (last year hosted by Tina Fey and Amy Poehler.) Whatever. Every time I try to read about him my eyes just glaze over and I can't concentrate.

Chance the Rapper is a, erm, rapper, whose latest mixtape, Coloring Book, was released in May. His latest single, "Summer Friends," was released in August.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rT4wUByldo4

Like the aforementioned Morris, that's basically an eternity ago, so expect new stuff and enjoy if Chance the Rapper is your bag.

--------

SNL Vintage is off for the rest of December, except the 10th. There will the annual SNL Christmas special on Wednesday, December 14th, at 9/8c, and again the following Saturday night, the 17th, 9/8c. NBC's coverage of Christmas Mass at the Vatican and New Year's Eve pre-empts repeats on the 24th and 31st, respectively. There will be a repeat on January 7th. SNL returns live on January 14th, 2017.

--------

Here's a nice little piece on Vanessa Bayer, who was a Make-A-Wish recipient in 1999.

quote:

When Vanessa Bayer was just freshman in high school, she was diagnosed with leukemia. While the news was a shock for her and her family, Bayer says her cancer battle ultimately led her to a career in comedy.

“I wasn’t really that scared,” Bayer says in the latest issue of PEOPLE. “My dad is a really funny guy, and we would make jokes about my leukemia. When my friends would come over we would joke about it too. It’s sort of messed up out of context, but it put everybody at ease. Being sick is the reason I went into comedy.”

After her diagnosis Bayer began an intense treatment program that included chemotherapy and radiation, which forced her to miss the end of ninth grade. In 1999 Make-A-Wish contacted her family and granted Bayer’s wish to take her family on a trip to Hawaii.

“It was amazing,” she says. “They took care of everything.” While staying in the presidential suite, “I remember my brother and I put all the robes on because it was just so fancy and fun.”

After she was hired [at SNL,] Bayer got the chance to work with the Make-A-Wish foundation again, this time granting children who are battling life threatening illness their own wishes to visit the set in New York City.

“It’s very emotional and full-circle for me,” says Bayer. “I’ve gotten to meet so many kids and their parents. When I tell them that I’m a ‘Wish kid’ too, it’s just so cool to see.”

--------

By the way, longtime forums member ArtVandelay will be at tonight's LIVE show--

ArtVandelay posted:

I've applied to the SNL lottery for 3 years now, and I never really expected to get tickets. Just got an email from NBC, i'm going to the December 3rd taping!

ArtVandelay posted:

Heading to NYC in the morning, i'll post whatever pictures i'm allowed to take. Probably won't be able to take any of the studio. To counteract, i'll take as many pictures of the screaming 16 year old girls in the standby line waiting to catch a glimpse of Shawn Mendes

I'm going to try to leave the studio when he's singing :v:
Enjoy the show tonight, and report back!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'm sick of this portrayal of Kellyanne Conway as a helpless foil in DJT's admin. SNL usually is on point with nailing the personalities of politicos, but they're way off the mark here. She's as culpable as Bannon for the mess we're in now.

I was going to put this in the OP but I thought I'd give them a chance to correct course.

pwn
May 27, 2004

showgirls, lincoln, llama

pwn
May 27, 2004

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

i dont know what you're talking about those are the only monologues
There's also the taking questions from the audience, popular in the 90s

pwn
May 27, 2004

You're in our thoughts and prayers right now ArtVandelay

pwn
May 27, 2004

You familiar with that look, Che?

pwn
May 27, 2004

it's like his heart's not even in it anymore

pwn
May 27, 2004

I'm the band miscue

pwn
May 27, 2004

Was that the same one backstage in the monologue?

Also I can't imagine there's time for another bit. Just gonna be a band shot.

Yep

pwn
May 27, 2004

Oh my god Gena Rositano's death stare at the dude who walked off stage early.

pwn
May 27, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

Well that was quite an experience I was sitting 5 feet from Paul feig and questlove the whole show.
:)

Here's a bunch of bumper photos

And two other screens for fun

pwn
May 27, 2004

If you're interested in classic (if not sorta square) sketch comedy...

quote:

Here comes the judge! Decades excitedly announces the addition of Rowan & Martin’s Laugh-In to our schedule. This groundbreaking ensemble comedy is a wild and funny portal back to psychedelic 1960s. Its of-the-moment catchphrases, unique sketches and topical humor, the influential series continues to live on in hosted comedy and variety shows today.

Laugh-In joins the Decades programming lineup beginning Monday, December 5, airing weekdays at 6pm/ET and again at 12am/ET. Find out where to watch in your area. The show was the most-watched program in America from 1968-70, and continually fed pop culture with hip catchphrases over its six seasons. "You bet your sweet bippy!” “Sock it to me!” “Very interesting.”

The sharp and sassy comedy debuted in January of 1968, setting the stage for many of the comedy, sketch and variety series that followed. The show’s regular cast included hosts Dan Rowan and Dick Martin, as well as Ruth Buzzi, Arte Johnson, Lily Tomlin, Goldie Hawn, Jo Anne Worley, Henry Gibson, Richard Dawson and featured guest performers such as Flip Wilson, Jack Benny, Zsa Zsa Gabor, Johnny Carson, Sammy Davis Jr., Tiny Tim, Bob Hope and John Wayne.

Produced by George Schlatter and Ed Friendly, Laugh-In featured a number of talented comedy writers including a young Lorne Michaels, who famously went on to create Saturday Night Live. In a prelude to future elections, presidential candidate Richard Nixon dropped in for an unexpected comedy cameo. Tune in for humor that remains as side-splitting and relevant as it was nearly four decades ago.
There were 140 episodes of the weekly show, so even if it runs just 5 nights a week, you could, theoretically, have the series finished by July.

To provide some backstory on the show, its original editor Art Schneider, and a couple of very cool videos, please enjoy this piece, shamelessly ripped off from Bobby Ellerbee's EyesOfAGeneration.com Facebook page, which should be followed if you've any interest at all in television history and production.

quote:

"Rowan & Martin's Laugh In"...Three Backstories Rolled Into One

(1) Fun (2) Editing on film and videotape (3) The Editor, Art "Jump Cut" Schneider

There is not a better way to illustrate how "Laugh In" was done than to start with this embedded blooper reel, which will be fun and instructive at the same time. As you watch these outtakes, notice the man in the at 1:25 mark with Marcel Marceau (the pantomime king) is the show's creator George Schlatter.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=98TMYHvR6kM

Believe it or not, the show was simultaneously recorded on black and white kinescope film and color video tape. Using the kinescope footage, Art Schneider (the videotape editor) and George Schlatter cut the show together the way they wanted it to be seen on the air. Only when that process was complete could Art begin to edit the color videotape.

With an average of 400 edits per episode, which no other show had ever attempted, editing "Laugh In" was in a league by itself...as was the editor. As a matter of fact, when Art left NBC after the second year of the show, it took 7 editors to replace him.

To give you and idea how hard it was to edit videotape in those days, here is Art Schneider editing with a Smith Block at NBC. The video will start at the part that features Art, but the whole thing is very good.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SzZ4S2gkxaI

Below is a 1989 article from "WRAP Magazine" on Art...

For Art Schneider, A.C.E., it was one of the most memorable moments in his life. Bob Hope was taping a 1965 comedy special
at NBC and Schneider, Hope's videotape editor since the late 1950s, was standing offstage when Hope called him out. "Most of you don't know what goes on behind the scenes during the editing of our show," began Hope. "We have a man in the basement ... who fixes all our mistakes, and we'd like to honor him tonight with the annual Bob Hope Show Crossed Scissors Award for Jump Cutting Above and Beyond the Call of Duty".

To many in the industry, Schneider has always been known as "Jump Cut," the editor's editor, racking up screen credits and awards almost since the beginning of television. As an NBC staff engineer from 1951 to 1968, Schneider edited over 500 variety shows, documentaries, music specials, series and news programs, winning four Emmys in the process. His work helped define the medium.

From the start, Schneider's modus operandi has been to edit quickly, efficiently and seamlessly. To improve video editing in the '50s-a cumbersome process, which involved the hand-splicing of tape, he worked with his colleagues at NBC to develop the first offline editing process as well as an early time-code system. As chief editor of the network's "Rowan and Martin's Laugh In" in the late '60s, he was notorious for his organization and imagination.

"To edit 'Laugh In', we had to adapt the technology to our concepts and not vice versa," says Creator and Producer George Schlatter. "At the time, video editing was primitive and considered a technician's job. Art helped change that. It became an artistic job."

Schneider's ambitions once lay elsewhere. When he was 18 and a model-airplane enthusiast, he entered the University of Southern California with the goal of becoming an aeronautical engineer. He explains, however, that he couldn't master the math required for the field. "I changed my major three times before I finally settled on cinema studies," he recalls. "There's not much math in that."

Schneider soon found he had a knack for cutting film, and it was during his senior year that a professor introduced him to an NBC executive searching for a film editor. "The job they offered was simple-editing leaders onto kinescopes, but they didn't want to spend the time training beginners how to edit," recalls Schneider. "They wanted someone who already knew how to do it."

A four-hour job interview led to what would be a 17-year career at the network. Although eventually he became the network's supervising editor, he began as a "Group 2 Engineer", hand splicing videotape and film, and operating kinescope machines and cameras because the term "editor" was not officially sanctioned by NBC until the '60s.

Schneider worked constantly, averaging 40 to 50 shows a year and racking up such credits as 51 Bob Hope shows, three critically acclaimed Fred Astaire programs, and specials starring Judy Garland, Pat Boone, Milton Berle and Jack Benny. "My USC training in cinema really helped," he says-particularly for specials, "which were tricky. You couldn't just grind them out like you might on a series. The star wanted to put the best foot forward."

In 1967, Schlatter, a former colleague from NBC's Colgate Comedy Hour, approached him with the 'Laugh In' pilot. "I thought it had a funny name and a pretty thick script," Schneider recalls, "but I said, 'Fine, I'll do it.' " The script was four inches thick, to be exact, and, at a time when 80 edits an hour for video was considered excessively complicated, Laugh-in weighed in at about 400. "It was a gargantuan task," says Schlatter, "and 'Laugh In' may have been the first show on TV whose editor was recognized for the contribution he brought to the whole."

With its quick blackouts, short sketches and zany music pieces, Laugh-in was an editor's nightmare. Schneider, with Schlatter at his side, spent three weeks of 20-hour-a-day edits to produce the pilot. "At the end of the first assembly [which took five days], George didn't like what he saw. He sat back and cried, 'What have I wrought?' " recalls Schneider, who wound up recutting the program five times. "After the fifth, George was satisfied, but I was still bothered by something that didn't quite click. I couldn't sleep, thinking about it." Then, as he lay in bed, he had an inspiration:

He would add a tag scene after the closing credits...a discarded piece of footage of Arte Johnson as a Nazi saying, "Verrrry interesting." Not only did Schlatter love the touch, the bit became a catchphrase of the series.

In 1968, Schneider left NBC to form, with Schlatter, Burbank Film Editing (where he continued to work on 'Laugh In'). Schneider left in 1970 to work at CFI, where he stayed until 1976 and helped develop the first CMX 300 on-line editing system. From there he freelanced on a variety of projects, including off-net hours for syndication and documentaries on pollution. In addition, he served on the board of the Academy of Television Arts and Sciences; became a member of the SMPTE education committee; and began writing (over 50 articles) and lecturing on his profession.

"To be successful," Schneider concludes, "you have to be very, very dedicated. And you have to work your butt off."

Enjoy and share! -Bobby Ellerbee
They say that when the original edited 2-inch videotape, replete with hundreds of taped splices, was played back in the Ampex machine, the thing sounded like a machine gun from all the edits.

Laugh-In begins airing on Decades starting Monday December 5 every night at 6/5c and again at 12/11c. Many cable and satellite systems do not carry subchannels like Decades, so you may have to get out your antenna.

pwn
May 27, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dHlTofir2H0

pwn
May 27, 2004

The Muppets On PCP posted:

snl's live mixing was pretty decent up until the early 2000s
My memory may be faulty, but I think the exact line of demarcation is 2005, when they started doing 5.1 mixing.

And they posted this right after I made my last post--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bopDFdlxodg

pwn
May 27, 2004

Tonight's first and only Vintage for December once again comes from the recent past: Tina Fey and Amy Poehler with Bruce Springsteen and the E-Street Band from last Christmas.

pwn
May 27, 2004

The whole episode was great, but yes, Your Next Wife was the standout

One more from John Cena

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AIgJjO-Iko4

pwn
May 27, 2004

Wow, that was a primo fuckup

pwn
May 27, 2004

Fresh Like Zafo posted:

What the hell was that early cut to commercial? Weird.
Maybe they went to play back Hammond's recorded announcement and hit the wrong thing

pwn
May 27, 2004

What the hell, why are they using Villasenor

For real though I felt bad because it took me 5 seconds to figure out who it was. Season's half over and she's been in nothing :(

pwn
May 27, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

I remember like 10 years ago when the entire nation pretended to be upset that Ashley Simpson was lip syncing and now it's like 6 times per season and we all pretend not to notice.
Yeah but she walked off the stage in shame

pwn
May 27, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

I didn't even bother asking Melissa for a picture after the show. I think she was hanging out next to the audience leaving hoping to get noticed and no one cared.
That's depressing, but also, why not get her picture, geez

pwn
May 27, 2004

Bump

Bonus tweet

pwn
May 27, 2004

Have some holiday cheer, you Scrooges.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C4q7ctf8ic

And don't forget: SNL Christmas is tonight at 9/8c.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZihMSH14HS4

pwn
May 27, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

Look I'm not trying to be a dick or split hairs but he has been in the credits for over a decade and his name is Kenan. I wouldn't have said anything but like five different people got it wrong. Also he is great.
Thank you

pwn
May 27, 2004

This is the third time in three seasons they've done this sketch

pwn
May 27, 2004

his brother, Greg the Drummer

Shneak posted:

When? I only remember the alien one w/ Gosling.
That was the first one, the second was near-death experience with Alison Brie

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8nAz-vVYeNA

And I guess the first one was a year ago, so three times in two seasons.

tarlibone posted:

But mainly, we have to talk about how SNL managed to book Fiery Mario to be the musical guest.
Oh cool, I wasn't the only one

pwn
May 27, 2004

That was great

But, uh, NBC has Christmas Eve Mass scheduled for next week?

pwn
May 27, 2004

I like the roving SNL Snowglobe the past few weeks.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Aphrodite posted:

How is a sketch like this shown to the audience? On monitors?
yes

SpiderHyphenMan posted:

maybe. maybe...

oh my god. it's a miracle. i came back to last year.

i can save the world. oh god, i can save the world.
lol

pwn
May 27, 2004

Not from the week ArtVandelay was there, but here's a video of the setup between cold open and monologue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=04kop3CvE_s

pwn
May 27, 2004

I forgot to do this last week. Enjoy bumpers

And here's the full list of reasons to not cast your electoral vote for Trump.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This week's rerun will air after the Carson Daly New Year's Eve XXXtravaganza Countdown to Browntown, at 1:30/12:30c. It will be the Benedict Cumberbatch / Solange ep.

...so why was a repeat of Dave Chappelle / ATCQ teased to run on Christmas Eve? NBC has been pre-empting regular programming on Christmas Eve for Mass from the Vatican for all my life, at least. I thought it may have been a technical error, that it was supposed to read "December 31," but that doesn't appear to be the case.

Still haven't heard who the guests will be on January 21st.

pwn
May 27, 2004

pwn posted:

Still haven't heard who the guests will be on January 21st.
https://twitter.com/nbcsnl/status/818866739958124544

pwn
May 27, 2004

MC Fruit Stripe posted:

"Who cares" about what? It's a great clip and a great testament to their crew. They may have felt a slight tinge of defensiveness and needing to explain why a crew member was clearly visible on the live broadcast, feeling like they wanted to show why he was there, but I think that probably pales when compared to their earnest pride in what they do. It's just a quick peek at a great crew.
"Who cares" about the reply being a couple weeks late.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Timby posted:

So is the 12:55 sketch pre-taped, then? I didn't realize the studio was that small (I figured the opening sketch was done on a side stage or something), there's no way that the host and cast can get out of costume in the four seconds between the end of the last sketch and the hugathon to close the show.
If it's presented as live (that is, it's not obviously a filmed piece,) then it's live

Funny you bring this up. Until 1998, the last internal break (the one you're talking about, between the last sketch and the goodnights,) was 2 minutes. In 1998 it was shortened to 1:30, and with the start of the this season, it's been further shortened to 1:15.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pwn
May 27, 2004

January thread

• Locked thread