Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

sportsgenius86 posted:

I loved everything but the cold open. It came off as self-indulgent to the point that it almost felt like a parody of reactions to the election.

I can see why people liked it and I may have if she wasn't in the Hillary outfit but the outfit was too on the nose.

I could see why people liked it if they didn't have trump loving host the show a year ago. You don't get to sell out for ratings and then pull this faux poignant poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Propaganda Machine
Jan 2, 2005

Truthiness!

sportsgenius86 posted:

I loved everything but the cold open. It came off as self-indulgent to the point that it almost felt like a parody of reactions to the election.

I can see why people liked it and I may have if she wasn't in the Hillary outfit but the outfit was too on the nose.

Nah, I think it was an acknowledgement that they, too, hosed up. Also read that AV Club link. The review is almost better than the episode itself.

Celery Jello
Mar 21, 2005
Slippery Tilde

Enderzero posted:

I could see why people liked it if they didn't have trump loving host the show a year ago. You don't get to sell out for ratings and then pull this faux poignant poo poo.

AV Club's SNL reviewer spotted.

The worst thing about a Trump presidency is going four years of links to that one episode review.

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

sportsgenius86 posted:

It seemed to me like a decent way to have a swan song for KMK's Hillary character and a tribute to Cohen at the same time. I might be biased because she is one of my favorite current cast members though.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.

raditts posted:

It seemed to me like a decent way to have a swan song for KMK's Hillary character and a tribute to Cohen at the same time. I might be biased because she is one of my favorite current cast members though.

Probably because she's the best one. Well, tied with Kenan.

CobiWann
Oct 21, 2009

Have fun!
I wouldn't have minded it so much if the previous "somber" cold opens that I can recall hadn't been after events like 9/11 and Sandy Hook.

I wouldn't have minded it so much if it had just been Kate's Hillary Clinton doing a poignant monologue (especially since, as raditts said, she's one of my favorite current cast members)

I wouldn't have minded it so much if it had just been Kate (or another cast member) singing that beautiful, haunting song.

Putting all three together however struck me as overreacting and overcompensating/overcorrecting. Everything else was amazing. Dave’s monologue, Weekend Update, A Tribe Called Quest…but I was honestly ready to check out after the cold open because I was afraid the whole show was going to be in the same vein.

pwn
May 27, 2004

This Christmas get "Shoes"

:pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn: :pwn:
It has to suck to feel physical pain where others feel emotions.

I noticed the feeling of post-national tragedy in all the late night shows last week. If you think it's overreacting, I envy your optimism.

pwn fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Nov 15, 2016

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
It was just simply good television. Like it didn't hit me as hard as it did for others, or really at all, but like it was very much a "moment"

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

I don't think McKinnon has the voice for that song, so it lost a bit as a tribute.

MC Fruit Stripe
Nov 26, 2002

around and around we go
If anything I was happy to hear someone without the voice for it, which is to say, that's one of a handful of songs that reality show contestants try to use to get a record deal or a concert tour offer, by stuffing every melismatic run they can think of into the tune and saying "look at me!", and it's just exhausting to listen to a lot of the time.

Enderzero
Jun 19, 2001

The snowflake button makes it
cold cold cold
Set temperature makes it
hold hold hold

Celery Jello posted:

AV Club's SNL reviewer spotted.

The worst thing about a Trump presidency is going four years of links to that one episode review.

Never read that. Is this not an extremely common complaint, It's seems pretty obvious to me.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Propaganda Machine posted:

Nah, I think it was an acknowledgement that they, too, hosed up. Also read that AV Club link. The review is almost better than the episode itself.

But to be honest the behavior of NBC during the whole campaign (firing him from Apprentice very early on as a gesture of standing up for Latinos, and then making more money from the news programs highlighting him than they ever did from Apprentice) is one of the most shameful media displays. Right up there with Discovery's support for their gay staffers crumbling under the pressure of angry Duck Dynasty fans. SNL was just a 90 minute part of some 20 months of "TRUMP!!!!" holding up the news division.

That said pulling out your national tragedy overtones for a loving election result is overwrought as all hell.

Craptacular! fucked around with this message at 03:04 on Nov 16, 2016

Alfred P. Pseudonym
May 29, 2006

And when you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss goes 8-8

Craptacular! posted:

But to be honest the behavior of NBC during the whole campaign (firing him from Apprentice very early on as a gesture of standing up for Latinos, and then making more money from the news programs highlighting him than they ever did from Apprentice) is one of the most shameful media displays. Right up there with Discovery's support for their gay staffers crumbling under the pressure of angry Duck Dynasty fans. SNL was just a 90 minute part of some 20 months of "TRUMP!!!!" holding up the news division.

That said pulling out your national tragedy overtones for a loving election result is overwrought as all hell.

I thought NBC let him go from Apprentice to avoid a conflict of interest with election coverage.

Craptacular!
Jul 9, 2001

Fuck the DH

Alfred P. Pseudonym posted:

I thought NBC let him go from Apprentice to avoid a conflict of interest with election coverage.

"Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump," NBC said in a statement, adding, "At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values."

blunt
Jul 7, 2005

Craptacular! posted:

"Due to the recent derogatory statements by Donald Trump regarding immigrants, NBCUniversal is ending its business relationship with Mr. Trump," NBC said in a statement, adding, "At NBC, respect and dignity for all people are cornerstones of our values."

C'mon man, the next sentence was literally:

quote:

"To that end, the annual Miss USA and Miss Universe Pageants, which are part of a joint venture between NBC and Trump, will no longer air on NBC."

http://www.nbcuniversal.com/press-release/nbc-statement-regarding-donald-trump

They had already let him go from The Apprentice to prevent a conflict, as Alfred P. Pseudonym said.

pwn
May 27, 2004

More Chappelle SNL? What a bonus!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4jz1OqnQe5Q

And a cute promo for this week's show.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ozmR5_df_c

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

I've applied to the SNL lottery for 3 years now, and I never really expected to get tickets. Just got an email from NBC, i'm going to the December 3rd taping!

pwn
May 27, 2004

ArtVandelay posted:

I've applied to the SNL lottery for 3 years now, and I never really expected to get tickets. Just got an email from NBC, i'm going to the December 3rd taping!
Nice! Dress or air?

ArtVandelay
Jul 13, 2004

pwn posted:

Nice! Dress or air?

Air. Now let's hope it's not a terrible host/musical guest.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Nice! I entered for the first time this year, doubt I'd be able to make a show anyway but you gotta be in it to win it.

pwn
May 27, 2004

Kristen Wiig is back for her second time hosting, after her 2013 turn. Her last film, Masterminds, a Lorne Michaels joint, came out in September to lukewarm reception. I guess she's just hosting for shits and giggles. Also Alec Baldwin will return tonight, though he's indicated that he doesn't intend to continue playing Trump much longer.

The xx are an indie pop band from England. They have songs and albums to their credit. Their new album, I See You, comes out in January; the first single was dropped last week.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1_oA9UmRd4I

TONIGHT THE VINTAGE IS ANOTHER REAL CLASSIC OLD EPISODE. MATTHEW MCCONAUGHEY WITH ADELE FROM 2015 WOW MUCH VINTAGE

Wednesday at 9/8c is this year's Thanksgiving special. Next week is a repeat. SNL returns live December 3rd with B1A4 and MAMAMOO... wait, no, that's SNL Korea. SNL Trumpmerica TBA, expect it to be announced live on-air tonight.

pwn fucked around with this message at 03:11 on Nov 20, 2016

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

This is terrible.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
I heard you saw Hamilton how was that?

It was good, I got a free lecture.

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy

sportsgenius86 posted:

This is terrible.

i like that they made pence just a little gay

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

The Muppets On PCP posted:

i like that they made pence just a little gay

The pence part was funny but the rest of it must have been written in 5 minutes because it was every bad and tired Trump joke.

Iowa Snow King
Jan 5, 2008
Kristen Wiig singing some doofy song?

Whaaat

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
This is 100% accurate.

Edit: I'M FORTIN SO HARD RIGHT NOW

Push El Burrito fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Nov 20, 2016

The Muppets On PCP
Nov 13, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
man just have will forte host

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
She looks like Emily Blunt with that haircut

pwn
May 27, 2004

that mcsweeney's joke

JazzFlight
Apr 29, 2006

Oooooooooooh!

That Bubble skit actually felt more like a skit from the stupid "Half hour New Hour" conservative show that was on Fox News briefly. Seemed a bit punching down when something like Portlandia lampoons liberals in a funnier way.

Like it was a bit "both sides are intolerant and close-minded" when objective reality shows otherwise.

Push El Burrito
May 9, 2006

Soiled Meat
lol she's gonna say the word.

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

pwn posted:

that mcsweeney's joke

That was perfect

pwn
May 27, 2004

Very forward-thinking of the Secret Word producers to shoot the show in color widescreen high definition 52 years ago

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Hello Cecily...

pwn
May 27, 2004

BROCK LESBIAN posted:

lol she's gonna say the word.
HOW DID YOU KNOW, SOOTHSAYER

Shneak
Mar 6, 2015