Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007
I wish meat screamed as I ate it.
Problem description: Many moons ago I purchased a Netgear R6300v2 and an A6210 USB 3.0 wifi adapter. They worked great in tandem for my Steam Link when I used the AC band for internal bandwidth to stream from my office box upstairs to the living room. A few weeks ago, however, the network adapter stopped being able to detect the 5GHz signal at all if I put the channel any higher than 2 digits; 44 was detectable, but was slow and unreliable, rendering in-home streaming impossible (channels 149-17X recommended). I reverted to the 2.4GHz signal and have used it since. My tablet and phone detect the a/c signal just fine from my office, but even with a new PCI-e TP-Link T8E network card, my computer cannot detect it.

Attempted fixes: I have rolled back the drivers on the A6210 adapter to when it worked. I have rolled back the drivers on the router. I have used both Windows and Netgear's wifi configuration software. I have uninstalled and reinstalled the hardware and software for the A6210. I have attempted to install firmware from the Chinese chip manufacturer per extensive research and googling when it appeared that a firmware update from Netgear made the A6210 unable to use American signal channels or something to that effect. I have changed the properties of the A6210 to only read 5GHz bands, which it would not detect if set to a 3-digit number as recommended and as it used to work. I have installed a PCI-e TP-Link T8E dual-band a/c compliant network adapter and used both Windows and TP-Link's software. I have moved the router closer to my office upstairs.

Recent changes: Trouble happened suddenly, likely after a driver/firmware update for the A6210; but now that I've changed to a PCI-e TP-Link adapter, it still can't detect the 5GHz signal from my router--though it does detect one from my neighbor.

--

Operating system: Windows 7 Pro 64-bit

System specs: i5-3350 quad-core @3.1GHz, 8GB RAM, Nvidia GTX 970, G-skill Sniper DDR3-1666 RAM 2x4GB, ASRock Z75 Pro 3 mobo, Thermaltake TR2 500W PS, Samsung EVO-800 250GB, EVO-800 500GB, Seagate 3TB HDD.

I have Googled and read the FAQ: Yes, extensively.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Dec 5, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slayerjerman
Nov 27, 2005

by sebmojo
Maybe just save yourself the hassle and buy a different wifi adapter, ideally a different maker/model? Sounds defective rather than anything you did directly.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Slayerjerman posted:

Maybe just save yourself the hassle and buy a different wifi adapter, ideally a different maker/model? Sounds defective rather than anything you did directly.

I did; I switched from the USB3 A6210 to a PCIe TP-Link a/c compatible adapter. Just this morning it's picking up a 5GHz signal next door, but not the one just beneath me. My devices pick up my own 5/AC signal just fine.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice
Have you tried setting your router back to automatically select a channel rather than trying to force non-standard ones?

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Alereon posted:

Have you tried setting your router back to automatically select a channel rather than trying to force non-standard ones?

Channel on the 2.4GHz can be set to auto and is, but the 5GHz signal can't be--just has 36, 40, 44, 48, 149, 153, 157, and 161. This is on the router, not the adapter.

AFAIK those are standard American channels, but people reported that an update set their A2610s to Asian channel standards and couldn't be changed with the new drivers--I thought to circumvent that entirely with a new wireless receiver that apparently reads other signals like a goddamned boss provided they aren't mine.

Proletariat Beowulf fucked around with this message at 15:23 on Dec 7, 2016

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
Have you ever updated the firmware on your router? What you're describing is extremely weird and I am wondering if it is still running some ancient firmware from before the 5Ghz channels were standardized by the FCC.

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Alereon posted:

Have you ever updated the firmware on your router? What you're describing is extremely weird and I am wondering if it is still running some ancient firmware from before the 5Ghz channels were standardized by the FCC.

Thanks for the suggestions, all.

Yeah, I updated the router's firmware to the most recent. As it happens, the card failed after that happened, but my devices pick up the 5GHz signal just fine. I have since rolled the router drivers back when I installed the TP-Link adapter, but that hasn't solved the problem on my computer.

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

College Slice
And you did do a total factory reset on the router? It's weird because the channel selections you're reporting aren't matching the Netgear documentation or what you should be seeing in the US. It's as if your router pre-dates all the DFS technology, which is specifically mentioned as being supported with the channels being selectable in the settings.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Proletariat Beowulf
Jan 7, 2007

Alereon posted:

And you did do a total factory reset on the router? It's weird because the channel selections you're reporting aren't matching the Netgear documentation or what you should be seeing in the US. It's as if your router pre-dates all the DFS technology, which is specifically mentioned as being supported with the channels being selectable in the settings.

Think I'll try that out when my wife isn't home sucking up bandwidth. Thanks!

• Locked thread