Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost
The last 48 hours have been... chaotic.

We have a 4-year old female calico-coloured Persian. Yesterday morning my wife noticed that she suddenly had gasping, laboured breathing. We thought it was an asthma attack (she is prone to these), so we administered her inhaler. But it didn't help. It was a really sudden change- she went from happy and eating to desperately gasping for air within a matter of minutes.

We immediately brought her to our regular vet and upon examining her the vet noticed that the soft tissue beneath my cat's tongue swelled up significantly, and that's what was causing the breathing obstruction. But he remarked that he had never seen a cat's mouth swell up so much so quickly. Her lungs were fine, but her mouth was seriously swelled up. He referred us to a local emergency 24/7 vet since they'd be able to get blood work and comprehensive testing done much faster.

Our cat's breathing was obstructed for about ~5 hours. But as she stayed at the emergency vet, her swelling started to slowly subside on its own.

The emergency vet ran a number of tests, and had the following results:
  • Her respiratory system was fine (ie. no signs of an asthma attack, no illness present in lungs)
  • No evidence of a bacteria or viral infection
  • Her teeth and dental health is perfectly fine (also confirmed by our regular vet last week during a checkup), so this wasn't caused by an abscess or dental issue

The emergency vet did notice a small, red lesion on her gums when they had initially examined her. But that red spot disappeared after she spent the night at the emergency vet. Even they seemed a bit stumped as to what could've caused this. Their theory: an insect stung or bit her in her mouth, and it caused this massive swelling. They didn't treat her with any antibiotics, and saw no reason to do so after releasing her to our care. In the doctor's words, "Time seemed to have fixed the swelling."

Our cat is now back home with us and healthy again, but any thoughts as to what could have caused this? We didn't introduce any new food into her diet. We don't even use strong cleaning products in the house due to our cats' asthma. We really want to avoid having her go through this, again. It even left vets from more than one clinic/hospital scratching their heads.

melon cat fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

take me to the beaver
Mar 28, 2010
Is there any way she could have been stung by a bee?

My husband's family's cat took down a bee which stung her in the throat. They couldn't find her despite several hours of calling her in and found her the next morning semi-conscious hiding in the bushes. A trip to the vet later and she was fine. Idiot cat still goes after bees.

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

take me to the beaver posted:

Is there any way she could have been stung by a bee?

My husband's family's cat took down a bee which stung her in the throat. They couldn't find her despite several hours of calling her in and found her the next morning semi-conscious hiding in the bushes. A trip to the vet later and she was fine. Idiot cat still goes after bees.
I thought the same, but really can't see how she could've encountered something like a bee. We live in Ontario Canada, so it's freezing cold and snowing outside. Most summer bugs have all died off and gone into hiding. And our cats are kept indoors. This is why we're losing our minds figuring out what could've caused the swelling.

Chaosfeather
Nov 4, 2008

I used to have a cat who would play with spiders, get bitten on the paw and then proceed to limp around for the next few days melodramatically because of the small spider bite. It would leave next to no mark if we didn't catch it almost immediately. However, I know for a fact that I personally have had some spider bites that caused a great amount of pain and swelling. Is it possible she ate a spider and it bit her on the way down - something more venomous than your average house spider?

kaworu
Jul 23, 2004

Chaosfeather posted:

I used to have a cat who would play with spiders, get bitten on the paw and then proceed to limp around for the next few days melodramatically because of the small spider bite. It would leave next to no mark if we didn't catch it almost immediately. However, I know for a fact that I personally have had some spider bites that caused a great amount of pain and swelling. Is it possible she ate a spider and it bit her on the way down - something more venomous than your average house spider?

We don't really *get* spiders that venomous that far north, at least, I live in Maine and in general it's cold for any particularly scary bugs to survive, especially by this time of the year.

I do think it's possible your cat night have had an allergic reaction to something it consumed, though. Once you've ruled out abscess/infection I'm not sure what else it could be!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

melon cat
Jan 21, 2010

Nap Ghost

Chaosfeather posted:

That's possible. But like kaworu said- we don't get funky, venomous spiders like that here in Ontario.

kaworu posted:

I do think it's possible your cat night have had an allergic reaction to something it consumed, though. Once you've ruled out abscess/infection I'm not sure what else it could be!
An allergic reaction is also a possibility, but we haven't introduced any new foods, substances, or materials into the house lately. The only thing that "happened" was when I caught my cat chewing on some plastic packaging from an Amazon package that I received the day before. I shoo'ed her away from it was I caught her doing that, and the swelling happened the next morning. Maybe the packaging contained an allergen, or something? :confused:

melon cat fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Dec 11, 2016

• Locked thread