Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

There, now I can tell when you're posting.

-- A friend :)
I weep for there are no more worlds left to conquer.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Jack2142 posted:

CONCAF and Club World Cup

Its Audi Sponsorship garbage, although Frei is a golden god.

Oh right. And the vaunted triple and so on... :yum:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Simone Poodoin posted:

So unprotected players can just be picked by the expansion teams? Then how do the other teams "refill" their squads?

There's basically three drafts this year, and then your normal summer winter silly season. This first one is taking away from the old teams. The next one will be picking up players waived by other teams. Then there will be the one of new players from college (and lower league teams?). After that it's the normal constantly changing MLS acquisition rules.

All of it is kind of a relic of American sports, honestly. Mostly trading around marginal players (but honestly some of your hardest working guys, just not that good in an improving league). For the expansion teams, it's at least something to start out with, but in general, it's just maybe filling out some depth. It'd honestly be better for the expansion teams to be thrown a bunch of money or a relaxed salary cap, probably.

e: Oh, missed the re-entry draft for returning players, which includes those not picked up in the waiver draft.

whypick1 posted:

Not really surprised at Seattle's choices.

I actually really am sad to see Mears and Gomez unprotected, but that's just because I like the cut of their jibs.

foobardog fucked around with this message at 21:19 on Dec 12, 2016

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Dadgum Seattle liberals and their hatred for cops! :bahgawd:

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

highme posted:

In other off season minutiae, Diego Valeri is on loan to my garbage rear end D5 coed futsal team.

That's one thing I hope never goes away about this league. The players are so much more willing to do this than say, NFL players. We had Taylor Graham show up at the ECS Sunday League a couple of weeks ago, but I missed it. :(

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

highme posted:

I read an article on Deadspin in the past couple of weeks that was about Cam Newton's habit of joining in random pick up games of any sport. It made me like him even more.

Do you guys have any coed teams?

Cam... :unsmith:

We do! That Sunday league (Pub League) is coed. We basically first made a coed beginner team and academy, but then found that there are a lot of assholes even at low-level rec soccer, so we started organizing our own. It's my go-to recommendation for people who are interested in playing, because since it's sort of a "everyone is really on the same team" mindset since teams are changed every season, everyone tends to be friendly and not aiming to kill you.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

How many people did you have who only joined to look like Messi or Ronaldo compared to the beginners? Because that's what happens every time I find a chill league or pick up.

We do the same as joshtothemaxx posted. If you're too good, we'll refund your money, but try to get you on one of our competitive teams.

The fact I've never been too good tells you how lovely a player I am.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I think they are still part of the re-entry draft, which generally covers anyone "coming back" to MLS. Basically, it makes no sense to take them in the waiver draft because I think you have to take them at the same salary and contract. You can renegotiate through the re-entry draft.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Oh yeah, I'm wrong. The whole point is they're not eligible for the re-entry draft:

http://www.mlssoccer.com/post/2016/12/15/no-selections-made-2016-mls-waiver-draft

MLS posted:

The Waiver Draft consisted of players who had been waived by their clubs but didn't meet the minimum years of service requirement for the Re-Entry Draft or Free Agency

Under-contract players who were selected in the Waiver Draft would've been automatically added to the drafting club’s roster. Clubs that claimed out-of-contract players would've had to issue a genuine offer to the selected player.

The players not selected are now free to sign with the team of their choice.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

Xylorjax posted:

Well poo poo. Dempsey's not called in. That's not a good sign.

Also, I love me some Chad Marshall at the MLS level, but what's he doing in Camp Cupcake? Isn't he like 2 steps too slow?

I'm pretty certain Dempsey is done, they might get him out for a retirement game sometime this season, but I think that's it.

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

I still can't believe that the temporary USSF D2 was probably the most stable one that should have been kept long term.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

foobardog
Apr 19, 2007

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

Get on our level other non-handsome teams.

Everyone knows you put all the traditionally handsome people on the evil team while the good team has your weird handsome guy who originally played another sport, a woman player in disguise, the weird foreigner, and the fat kid.

Seltzer posted:

Byzantium the league

Things like this make me wonder if the things we think are Calvinball are really above board, it's just an insane collection of trades and conditions.

• Locked thread