Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Nelson Rodriguez: "More GAM for the GAM god!"

I'm sad to see Johnson go after he's done such a great job on so many awful Fire teams throughout the years. He probably deserves better than this poo poo.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 17:44 on Dec 11, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

With the Johnson trade, not a single player who was on Chicago's roster in 2014 is still there (contingent on Razvan Cocis not re-signing for a lower amount, which seems unlikely).

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Apparently Chicago had offers from both Atlanta and NYCFC for Johnson, but chose to take Atlanta's lower offer so that Johnson could go home to Georgia.

Atlanta promptly turned around and took NYCFC's offer.

:bravo:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

I hear they were going to keep him but signed Guzan and dealt him for GAM and TAM.

Either way, it reflects pretty badly on the Fire FO.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Dallan Invictus posted:

Eh. He's looked serviceable but maybe I'm biased because I've only seen him play against Canadian/CONCACAF minnows. I'd say he's no worse than, say, Brad Knighton, who landed pretty firmly in NE before Shuttleworth displaced him.

Tornaghi was quite good in a few games with a very bad Chicago team. I was kind of surprised that we shipped him out.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

whypick1 posted:

Yet another draft today, this time Re-Entry.

Round 1
Houston - Dylan Remick (SEA)
Orlando - Patrick McClain (ORL)
Seattle - Brian Meredith (SJ)

That's McLain. And he had been with Chicago.

Eric Wynalda is claiming the Fire are up for sale. That could be a good thing. On the other hand, it's Wynalda, so I'm not holding my breath.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Chicago Fire sign Legia Warsaw striker Nemanja Nikolic.

This may be the first Fire signing in a while actually worth getting excited over.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Yeah, it's an allocation order switch, Garberbux, and a second ground draft pick.

The move is pretty out of the blue for Chicago, I hadn't heard any rumors at all before it happened.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Apparently Landon Donovan has been offered DP contracts at RSL and an unnamed Eastern Conference team.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Rumors out of Spain say that Villarreal RB Antonio Rukavina is coming to Chicago. The Fire are also set to sign Indiana University's own Grant Lillard to a Homegrown contract. Making moves.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Chicago Fire sign a 35-year-old Uruguayan goalkeeper I've never heard of. I desperately hope he's not the prospective starter.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Giovanni_Sinclair posted:

If I remember right he was alright in Liga MX, but that was a few years ago. I hope he's a back up since having a 35 year old goalie isn't the smartest thing.

He also once punched a police officer in the face, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=deeBUsLKh-o

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

I'd be fairly happy with this move, if it's true.

E: just confirmed by the Fire. Our midfield is looking significantly better than last year.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 01:47 on Jan 17, 2017

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

joshtothemaxx posted:

Who is more likely to play in the MLS this year, Schweinsteiger or Carrick?

It seems pretty clear from recent acquisitions that the Fire aren't pursuing Schweinsteiger anymore.

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

all-Rush mixtape posted:

MLS is making an announcement in Chicago today, which probably means they're getting the All-Star Game.

Yeah, that's been the rumor for a few weeks. I wonder if anyone from the Fire will even be there. :sigh:

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

B.B. Rodriguez posted:

With their incredibly lovely deal with their stadium, I wouldn't be surprised if they legally aren't allowed to go to Soldier Field for an MLS event without paying Bridgeview some sort of fee.

It's bizarre to me how many Fire fans won't admit that Toyota Park/Bridgeview are a huge albatross around the team's neck. The deal sucks, the location sucks, the whole situation just sucks. But I guess the team didn't have much of a choice at the time.

E: Re: All-Star Game. I guess it's nice that MLS is throwing the market a bone and trying to jump-start soccer in Chicago again. But, A. it's sad that it's come to this point in the first place, and B. it's not going to be enough unless we make the playoffs this year.

E2:

This image is horrifying.

Hello Towel fucked around with this message at 05:32 on Feb 1, 2017

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

Okay, the new Fire jersey is pretty cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hello Towel
Aug 9, 2010

This Dax/Juninho thing is actually looking pretty good for Chicago so far. Another year of experience for De Leeuw and Accam + bringing in Nikolic, and the Fire attack is starting to look solid (for the first time in years).

• Locked thread