Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Original Post | First Quarter | Second Quarter | Third Quarter | Year End

Retirement Savings Goals
  • My Roth IRA: $5,500 (stretch goal: $5,500)
  • Her Roth IRA: $5,500 (stretch goal: $5,500)
  • My 457(b): $18,000 (stretch goal: $18,000)
  • Her TSP: $18,000 (stretch goal: $18,000)

Progress: Everything is maxed :toot:

File my taxes by April 15th
For the past few years, I have always been ready to file by the end of March except for the K-1 I needed for the family partnership I was a part of. My aunt is a terrible person, and doubly terrible about finances, so I never received this form before like April 12th every year. Stressful!

This past year, my family miraculously (if acrimoniously) charted a path out of the partnership, selling our shares to my aunt. There is one final hurdle to clear: receiving the final K-1. Will my aunt get this to us in a timely fashion? Will she vindictively delay the release of the form, forcing us all to go through the headache of filing for an extension? I sure hope not! Timely filing this year will feel wonderful and will snip the last financial tie I have with my aunt. :pray:

Progress: Getting close to filing. Didn't get the tax forms til June, right before my big trip abroad. Should hopefully finish this weekend, although I'm sure this will generate an audit at some point :smith:

Get my parents to update their will
My one failed goal from 2016. My folks are in great shape, thank goodness. Nevertheless, they are approaching 60. They have not updated their wills since before my brother--a sophomore in college (!)--was born. The goal for this area is to get my parents to update their will.

Progress: Largely done without any prodding from me, but I should do a final check.

Don't apply for any credit cards until July at the earliest
I've posted a little bit about how my wife and I have aggressively applied for credit cards such that we will be taking a trip around Asia with nearly free first class airfare on some great airlines (ANA, Korean, Cathay Pacific) this summer. We stopped applying to credit cards on June 1st, 2016 in advance of applying for a mortgage later in the year. We got our mortgage and bought the house a couple weeks ago, so technically we're clear to start applying again. Nevertheless, I would like to wait til at least July so that we have a year between apps. Credit card issuers are tightening up rules on churners and we already still have a surplus of points, so waiting is no big deal.

Stretch goal: Don't apply for any credit cards in 2016. We'll see about this one. Depends on what offerings are out there.

Progress: I've applied for two and she's applied for one. Whoops. Gotta take your shots when the good ones appear.

Use the home gym!
We are in the process of building a gym in the basement of our new house. It's relatively inexpensive. Nevertheless, I don't want that money to go to waste. The goal for this area is to workout in the home gym at least 90 times in 2017. The stretch goal is to workout in the home gym at least 120 times in 2017.

Progress: We've been doing most of our workouts outside since the weather got nice, so this goal is kind of derailed.

Track home purchase expenses
Before we purchased our home, we set aside $60,000 for the down payment, furniture, and moving expenses. I have already been tracking every house-related purchase so far and plan to continue doing so in 2017. The stretch goal is to stay within that $60,000, which I think we'll be able to do fairly easily, but it's good to write it here to hold me to it.

Progress: Doing well so far and still have a few thousand left in the budget.

Sell my co-op
My co-op is a pretty cheap place to live, so I'm under no immediate pressure to sell it. Nevertheless, the sooner it's sold, the better. There are some minor repairs to do before listing, but I would like to get it sold sometime before the end of the year. The stretch goals are to list it by the end of March and sell it by the end of June.

Progress: Been listed for ~45 days. Some decent visitation but no offers yet.

Make a plan for when we're going to have our first kid
My wife and I both turn 30 this year. We know we want kids, although it still hasn't been "the right time" (whatever that means) yet. Sometime this year, we need to have at least one serious conversation about when exactly we want to start trying for a family. The clock is ticking!

Progress: Uhhhhhh tbd

Fence the backyard
The new house has a great backyard, but it's only partially fenced in. This year I want to finish the fence so the dog has a nice place to play.

Progress: Done as of this afternoon! Took longer and cost more than the contractor projected though :argh:

Expand the driveway to create a turning pad for the car
One of the biggest knocks on the new house is that the detached garage is not only very narrow, but also slightly offset from the driveway. The result is that backing out is difficult and I keep putting the front right tire in the landscaping when I back out. At some point this year, I want to rip out the area of the landscaping that's at risk and widen the paved area so that I can back out more easily.

Progress: Removed from goals as we have decided to not park the car in the garage.

Get an annual physical and go to the dentist
This is a goal for both my wife and me. Neither of us did either of these things in 2016. Gotta do better.

Progress: We've both made it to the dentist already this year! Next up is a physical for each of us.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
End of Q2 update:

Goals for 2017:
Max out HSA contributions of $3,400
On track. Right now I'm contributing post-tax with an automatic transfer every 2 weeks when I get paid, but I'll probably switch over to payroll deductions next year. Either way, I'm maxing out my contributions for 2017

Max out Roth IRA contributions of $5,000
On track. Contributions are split up into monthly recurring transfers to hit the max amount by the end of the year.

Dedicated house emergency fund of $2,500 because old houses could literally blow up at any second.
Done, $2,500 chillin' in an Ally account collecting interest

Dedicated personal emergency fund of $10,000 because being homeless would suck if I lose my job
Done, $10,000 chillin' in an Ally account collecting interest

Up 401(k) contribution percentage from 10% to 15% by end of the year (probably after tax time)
Compromise! 12.5% puts me at my savings goal of 30% of net pay, so thats where it will stay for now.

Spend tax return on hookers and blow in Vegas
Fail. I bought lame house poo poo and saved the rest

Vacation to a continent that isn't North America
Weihnachten in Berlin! Christkindlmarkt und Glühwein für alle!

Sell my current motorcycle
So much fail. Not only did I not sell my first one, I bought another one.

Rocks
Dec 30, 2011

i don't really know where else to post this, but my wife and I have been using YNAB for a couple years now and it's changed our lives for the better... just such a game changer. Was able to put away almost $4k/mo while all our friends blew their wad on drinking and going out, while we just bought a baller house!

It was a really tough go for the last little while (making money while not being able to spend it), but looking out at my super sweet ocean view right now i think we made the right choices. cheers goons :3:

edit: oh and here's a snippet from a check i wrote, one i'll definitely never forget

Rocks fucked around with this message at 07:01 on Jul 7, 2017

pig slut lisa
Mar 5, 2012

irl is good

Rocks posted:

i don't really know where else to post this, but my wife and I have been using YNAB for a couple years now and it's changed our lives for the better... just such a game changer. Was able to put away almost $4k/mo while all our friends blew their wad on drinking and going out, while we just bought a baller house!

It was a really tough go for the last little while (making money while not being able to spend it), but looking out at my super sweet ocean view right now i think we made the right choices. cheers goons :3:

edit: oh and here's a snippet from a check i wrote, one i'll definitely never forget

Congrats! Delayed gratification is extra sweet.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer

Rocks posted:

How much horse equity is that?

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Q2!

Potrzebie posted:

Goals
Keep savings as % of income at or above 25%
Starting this month I'm on paternity leave for the rest of the year. I already managed to mess up my application for what I only assume is the Swedish flavour of social security payments the first month. It's going to be alright but the money will have to be very tight the rest of the year for this goal to be met.

Open a tax-advantaged account for baby, buy index funds monthly
completed! Did not scream. Saving $50 monthly for babys future.

No more online gambling
I have no time or energy left for this nonsense, so half fail, half success.

Learn a thing; see if thing can be used to create side income
Proud owner of an ukulele. This will not generate any income, but it is fun.

Start to transition portfolio from individual stock to index funds
No progress. This is not a good time to transition the stock I have. Later will be better! :ohdear:

Get wet and cold
Still no progress! I've been taking half day long walks with the stroller though.

Other stuff
Have a nice vacation
Been a great success thus far. Going to France in two weeks! :woop:

Sleep
YES! Baby is on a sleeping schedule from 8.30pm to 6am with a few waking sessions, so I get to sleep fairly OK by non-baby-having standards.

Go debt free
Did some thinking; so long as we can do deductions on cost of interest it makes zero sense to be debt free.

Make baby 2
Baby 1 needs sibling to boss around. No progress yet.

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

BAE OF PIGS posted:

Current figures: 30 y/o making $45,000 a year. A little over 10k in student loan debt, no other debt. About $16,000 in retirement currently, and need to start aggressively contributing to it in the next few years. Currently focused on getting rid of student loan debt however.

Pay off my two smallest student loans (~$1250 and ~$1800), leaving me with just two other student loans (currently at ~$3800 and ~$3400). Look into refinancing remaining student loans. Get my emergency fund to $7500 (currently at $6500).
Two smallest loans currently standing at ~900 each. Other two at ~$2400 and ~$2900. Emergency fund currently at $7700

Work as much overtime as possible until I get a raise in Aprll (boss is saying he'll put in for a big one because of my job performance), at which point I'll probably be moved back to salary (got bumped to hourly/non-exempt in November).
Got a 6% raise in April and turned it down because it would have moved me back to salary and I was making more getting overtime. Regional manager found out about it and gave me an 11.1% raise to $50,000. I did get moved back to salary, but with my new position the workload is much less and I wouldn't have been able to rack up the same amount of overtime anyway.

Take the bus to work more, avoiding expensive downtown parking. I should be transferring to a new location in April/May for work so I won't be working downtown anymore after that and the new location will have actual employee parking, so at that point I won't even need to include parking in my budget, but my fuel budget will have to increase, though not by as much as my parking budget will decrease. Don't use the bus any more, but still don't use much fuel either. It's the 15th of July and I still haven't put any gas in my car this month.

Put myself into position to be completely debt free at some point in 2018.
On track. Girlfriend moved in with me and bills/rent have been cut in half and grocery spending has gone up, but since we split it my portion has gone down.

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
2017 Goals

1) Max 401k - On track
2) Max both IRAs - On track
3) Purchase disability/life insurance for me - Done
4) Install solar panels (10k-15k estimate) - Probably going to do this in 2018 instead and do the kitchen this year since I'm currently working from home
5) Get mortgage down to 75k (95k starting / 80k currently) - On track
6) Take at least a week's vacation - Scheduled for August

Stretch

1) Update kitchen (15k max) - I started taking bids on this and it's going to be more like 25k to get it done... :(
2) Help brother-in-law buy a newer car (3k max) - Done. Contributed 1.7k to buying him a safe, modern car

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

Proposition Castle posted:

Down to $47,700 and my discipline is cracking real bad. Also I hate my job and am really close to walking out.

Finished. Just submitted my last payment and have had the opposite of a panic attack for the last 20 minutes. Gonna play my trombone now so there's at least some sort of fanfare.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Early July update. Unless a meltdown happens it won't make a huge difference anyways.

Guest2553 posted:

Increase family net worth to 220K from 180K Done! I had maybe $500 of unexpected costs (bicycle and car maintenance) but it was more than offset thanks to a lucky windfall. I'm currently at about 236k and could crack 250k by EOY :toot: I might take another couple hundred to ball out on something dumb like a rifle scope, idk.

Stretch goal is to develop some sort of side hustle. For the moment I'm focusing efforts on setting myself up for a promotion at work. It would allow me to meet some personal/professional goals and comes with a pay increase of about 16%, giving my financial plans a lot of extra buffer room.

Non-financial goal 1) regularly work out to get (back) in shape Going through another short term surge at the cost of my health, but the end is in sight. Now that my bike is fixed I plan to start cycling to work next week. Still down a couple pounds from Jan though

Non financial goal 2) maintain some semblance of work/life balance. Better than it used to be. Gonna try and take some parental leave this year.

Bonus financial goal: open a 529 for my babbys.

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

Proposition Castle posted:

Finished. Just submitted my last payment and have had the opposite of a panic attack for the last 20 minutes. Gonna play my trombone now so there's at least some sort of fanfare.

You killed $47K of loans in like five months? That's seriously impressive.

Proposition Castle
Aug 9, 2004
Witty message goes here.

IllegallySober posted:

You killed $47K of loans in like five months? That's seriously impressive.

I worked a ton of overtime and had a good quarterly bonus put me over the top.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

End of July Update!

1. Increase net worth from 72k to 94k. Currently 87.5k.
2. Increase emergency fund from 5.5k to 7.5k. Currently 7k.
3. Increase house fund from 2.5k to 11k. Currently 8k.
4. Go on a fun (overseas?) trip this summer. Spending Limit: 3k. Trip cancelled.
5. Contribute a minimum of $2400 to my Roth IRA. $1400.
6. Stay debt free. Yup.

Not a Children
Oct 9, 2012

Don't need a holster if you never stop shooting.

End of July Update

2017 Financial Goals
- Max 401k Check!
- Max ROTH IRA Check!
- Keep video game spending to less than $40/mo Failed, looking more like $70/mo. I blame the Switch.
- Keep at-home alcohol spending to under $40/mo Failed, miserably. More like $80/mo
- Take a vacation without feeling guilty. Not yet. Saving this for after prof. exam.

2017 Career Goals
- Finish Masters on-time w/associated raise Got masters.... but no raise. Not thrilled.
- Pass PE exam on first attempt Preparations have begun. The realness is slowly setting in.
- Uh... don't get fired, I guess? Check

2017 Stretch goals
- Save $10k beyond 401k/IRA Check!
- Help my siblings organize their finances for their budding careers Check...ish. I need to have a powwow with them soon.

Pretty good, all-in-all. Haven't hit my frugality goals, but honestly, I'm socking away about 60% of my take-home in retirement/house savings so I'm not too upset.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Not a Children posted:

- Pass PE exam on first attempt Preparations have begun. The realness is slowly setting in.

I hope that works out. Where I live it's more interview, project design and paperwork based. Different but it's a good achievement.

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

2017 Goals (July update):

quote:

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet
- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA on track
- meet company match on 401k on track
- 50/month in daughter's 529 on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary Took a cruise. Saw 5 different countries. Read a lot of books. Ate a lot of food. Left the kid at home. It was glorious.
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250)
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash
- Decide on having baby number 2 (more budget re-assessment)
- Help my wife make money with her business idea (gotta start small)
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this)

We took a vacation. Staying the course until Fall, since everyone decides Summer is when they want to have parties, so I have no free time to do anything around the house.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

July update inline. 2 major things happened in the last couple of weeks, the first of which caused my late update here.

First, we completed goal 8, and took our vacation to Cuenca Ecuador. It was absolutely fantastic. A great BFC vacation. Pretty cheap (we went a little over budget, but it was due to helping out my cousins we were visiting), great adventures and sights. Cajas National Park, Turi overlook, and the Cuenca zoo were highlights. I've attached a picture of the city from the Zoo.

Secondly, I'm taking action on goal 2 - Evaluate career change. I have been contacted to take over for my old boss at my previous employer. I'm strongly considering it, both because I really like my previous employer, and because it would be a clear step forward in my career (the position would be the lead of a software QA department, with reports and such). The only hesitation is that for the last several months, I've been working towards becoming a developer, and have a possible opportunity in that direction, as well as another possible opportunity to interview for a Sr release management position. A good problem to have. Hopefully more updates to come next month!

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (*with a "perfect house and down payment is in order" exception). No cars, no house* - On track
2) Evaluate career change - I'm actively exploring several opportunities, including a lead position in my current field (Software QA), or moving to a different field (software development or release management/devops)
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage - Done!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $3700/$5.5k added so far. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $6412/$11000. On track
6) Continue funding 401ks at 10% each - On track
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - $25452/$40000. On track
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month to finish with the 12/1 paycheck - On track
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - Done!
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - On track. At 127k this month
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Weight lost, still on track keeping it off
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year. - Just got back from vacation, so regained a little, but still 2 lbs lost for the stretch goal

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - On track

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Aug 8, 2017

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

That's a seriously cool picture. Nice work!

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

END OF JULY (DELAYED) UPDATE!

By end of Q3:
- Savings to 50k. Unexpected floor bill delayed us one month. Should hit this by end of September.
- Wife private student loan retired. Raise put this back on the table, will probably hit October 1.

By end of Q4:
- MBA Tuition paid in full Now on track for end of Q1 2018.
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. On track!

Yearly Goals:
- No new household debt. Failed, bought a new car two months ago but the old one died so... not too bad. No further debt.
- Be promoted to clinical assistant professor (slight pay raise). Success! New salary structure began with August's paycheck. Raise was more extreme than anticipated as I also obtained a medical directorship.

Things we will not try to do:
- Pay anything beyond the minimum on our awful student loans - we are both eligible for PSLF in less than 5 years, so will be aiming to stick to this payment schedule, which this year accelerates to 10 year basic repayment. Success, we'll see whether this program still exists.

Stretch Goals
- “second mortgage” retired ($28,000 balance starting) I actually have this scheduled to be completed by Q1 2018, but if we get back on track with the student loan, we be able to move things forward. It remains near the top of our list of goals. Unlikely to be accomplished before Q1 2018.
- 457 plan launched at work (I have requested this, CEO on board and benefits officer looking into cost/benefits), fully funded by both wife and I The pay raise would cover this completely, but have had no additional movement from benefits as far as creating this.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

End of August Update!

1. Increase net worth from 72k to 94k. Currently 89.7k.
2. Increase emergency fund from 5.5k to 7.5k. Currently 7.1k.
3. Increase house fund from 2.5k to 11k. Currently 8.1k.
4. Go on a fun (overseas?) trip this summer. Spending Limit: 3k. Trip cancelled.
5. Contribute a minimum of $2400 to my Roth IRA. $1600.
6. Stay debt free. Yup.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Thread is dead but gently caress it I'm still going monthly!

My wife had a windfall month related to taking some extra shifts so things have marched forward very slightly for the better -

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

END OF JULY (DELAYED) UPDATE!

By end of Q3:
- Savings to 50k. Officially done with this one, emergency fund now in place for emergencies.
- Wife private student loans totally retired. Might actually be able to get that done this month.

By end of Q4:
- MBA Tuition paid in full Now on track for end of Q1 2018.

Yearly Goals:
- No new household debt. Failed, bought a new car two months ago but the old one died so... not too bad. No further debt.
- Be promoted to clinical assistant professor (slight pay raise). Success! New salary structure began with August's paycheck. Wife also received raise, promotion. My raise was more extreme than anticipated as I also obtained a medical directorship.

Things we will not try to do:
- Pay anything beyond the minimum on our awful student loans - we are both eligible for PSLF in less than 5 years, so will be aiming to stick to this payment schedule, which this year accelerates to 10 year basic repayment. Success, we'll see whether this program still exists, my suspicions grow.

Stretch Goals
- “second mortgage” retired ($28,000 balance starting) I actually have this scheduled to be completed in Q1 2018, but if we get back on track with the student loan, we be able to move things forward. It remains near the top of our list of goals. Unlikely to be accomplished before Q1 2018.
- 457 plan launched at work (I have requested this, CEO on board and benefits officer looking into cost/benefits), fully funded by both wife and I The pay raise would cover this completely, but have had no additional movement from benefits as far as creating this, and it sounds like unfortunately our state government is entering somewhat dire financial straits.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

August update, gently caress the haters

Guest2553 posted:

Increase family net worth to 220K from 180K Done! Sitting at 240k despite some pretty sideways market activity. Didn't meet savings goal this month because we elected to splurge on a much needed getaway weekend and replace some kitchen stuff. No regerts.

Stretch goal is to develop some sort of side hustle. Primarily focusing efforts to get a promotion at work right now. Also evaluating on whether or not it's worth it to cross train into a related but more marketable career stream - doing the training would probably knock me back 2+ years in seniority and I'd have to change employers/lose out on some sweet benefits if I wanted to see a salary increase, so it would be a long con.

Non-financial goal 1) regularly work out to get (back) in shape Plateaued this past month after doing nothing towards it. Oh well :v:

Non financial goal 2) maintain some semblance of work/life balance. Scheduled a month of parental leave in Oct to spend time with my babbys. Thanks, socialism! :canada:

Bonus financial goal: open a 529 for my babbys. Done and funded :toot:

e. the D matters (e2::parrot:), babby leave has already been scheduled.

vvv: goddamn, 1k/month difference is huge. Congrats on that and keeping the babby alive!

Guest2553 fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Sep 4, 2017

moana
Jun 18, 2005

one of the more intellectual satire communities on the web
Whatever, congrats to everyone on track with their goals!

I've spent a whole year keeping a baby alive, and it's been pretty great! I'm only about a third of the way through the novel I'm writing for my MIL, going to ramp that up this month and next to try and get er dun before Christmas. The one major thing I got done: switching health insurance, which ended up saving us $1k a month (now that we don't have very much income). Woo!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (August update):

At the end of the month, we were informed that our company lost its funding and was shutting down. I was part of a sizable layoff (40 people), so I'm currently on the hunt for a new job. This has impacted the budget a bit.

quote:

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet
- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA Surprisingly, I hit this with my last paycheck. I was going to re-assess if I wanted to over-fund my goal. I guess I won't be.
- meet company match on 401k I met this. Assuming whatever job I find has a 401k match, I will continue it.
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250)
- Help my wife make money on Etsy
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this)

Looking over this, I suppose my job loss hasn't impacted our goals too much. Most of the stuff is budgeted and allocated, and we have a 5-month emergency fund to cover a major occurrence like this. The thing that has surprised me (and wasn't included in my initial emergency fund budget) is the cost of COBRA continuation coverage or insurance on the Health Exchange. After I get a new job, a new goal will be to replenish the emergency fund with the healthcare stuff in mind.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

August update inline. Nothing too exciting, except I talked to the company who was looking at me for a QA lead position, and I told them of my developer ambitions. I have history with them, and they really liked me, so they're seriously considering taking me on. They've given me a take home project, since my dev portfolio is so slim. If this works out, it'd be really exciting!

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT (*with a "perfect house and down payment is in order" exception). No cars, no house* - On track
2) Evaluate career change - See above - Working on a take home project for a chance to get a developer job at a company I really enjoyed working for!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $4200/$5.5k added so far. On track
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $7328/$11000. On track
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - $29088/$40000. On track
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month to finish with the 12/1 paycheck - On track
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - So close to the NW goal! $134k this month. Obviously the savings rate goal is more important (and less prone to stock market whims). Still trucking on the savings rate.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Weight lost, still on track keeping it off
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year. - I got really sick, which sort of messed with this, but I also got sloppy with my eating. Gained 1 pound for a total of 21 lost this year, 1/10 lost for the stretch.

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - On track

BAE OF PIGS
Nov 28, 2016

Tup

Good-Natured Filth posted:

2017 Goals (August update):

At the end of the month, we were informed that our company lost its funding and was shutting down. I was part of a sizable layoff (40 people), so I'm currently on the hunt for a new job. This has impacted the budget a bit.

Looking over this, I suppose my job loss hasn't impacted our goals too much. Most of the stuff is budgeted and allocated, and we have a 5-month emergency fund to cover a major occurrence like this. The thing that has surprised me (and wasn't included in my initial emergency fund budget) is the cost of COBRA continuation coverage or insurance on the Health Exchange. After I get a new job, a new goal will be to replenish the emergency fund with the healthcare stuff in mind.

Sorry to hear about your job, and I never thought about the cost of COBRA or buying a plan on the Health Exchange. I should probably recalculate what I need for my emergency fund...

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
More updates:

A bit of a change. My fiancee got in to a very good graduate program with decent financial assistance, but since even Stafford rates on loans for terminal masters degrees are like 5.8% we've decided to pay the rest in cash, at least for this year. The stretch net worth goals and car goals might be a bit harder as a result but we are still gonna try. I may reduce my taxable brokerage contributions in order to throw money at school.

2017 Goals:
Save $2,000/mo towards house downpayment fund - on track
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving As of Aug 15, in a new place for $350/mo less, but also including utilities, so it's probably about $500/mo net effect
Max 401K on track
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage On track
Max IRA On track
Net worth goal: $225,000 currently $221,000, no change from last month due to some cash out for school and we also moved which was somewhat not cheap, although budgeted for
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000 currently $221,000, not so on track

Random poo poo:
Ditched cable, now we pay $40/mo flat for internet. Feels good man.

Non monetary:
Get engaged woo got engaged woo
Plan wedding holy poo poo this is so much work
go on a cool vacation went to CA in June which was nice. Have scheduled a few days off to bum around the house in October

Stretch goal:
If I move somewhere with a garage and if I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3. On track for this, but a bit dependent on the school thing.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Congrats everyone on accomplishing so much this year to date.

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Omne's 2017 Financial Goals!
1. No. New. Debt.
2. Increase 401k contributions to 12% (from 10%)
3. Pay off remainder of furniture loan ($1488)
4. Build emergency fund to $12,500 (from $8,200)
5. Lower the 6.8% student loan to $7,500 (from $11,600)

Stretches:
6. Lower the student loan to $5,000
7. Build medium-term savings fund to $2,000

There are two potential events that could upend these, but I'm sticking to them for now!

Oops. One of the two potential events actually happened! I got a new job (increasing my income 10%) that requires a move out of state. SO fixing up the house, packing and moving, and getting set up will definitely impact my remaining goals. #2 and #3 were already complete and will remain so. #4 and #5 likely won't happen unless we get a decent chunk in the sale of our home.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Good luck, moving friend. Sounds like the move is paying off at least on the top line.

balancedbias
May 2, 2009
$$$$$$$$$

balancedbias posted:

Awesome, I welcome the new thread, and the hopes for a new year!

Honestly, the list is usually boring because I do so much on autopilot, but there is a bit of drama to start the year that (for once) has nothing to do with my family.
I'm going to make more money and be miserable for Q1! How does that happen? I'm doing double the work, but I get paid extra to do so!

1 - Max the 401k and 457

2 - Max the IRAs

3 - MAX THE HSA! I have access to an HSA! Finally! (Nobody at work really knows why this made me so excited during open enrollment)

4 - Continue funding 529 at 250/month

5 - STRETCH - pay off that ~20K car loan. I'm taking this one back on myself; based on family dynamics, getting rid of this by the end of next year will recreate the type of cash flow that will allow a bit more breathing room and use as an unofficial family emergency fund. I don't think Trump got my letter to get an exemption from economic policy and outsource my parents/siblings/in-laws.

1 - Ahead. Thanks to a brutal schedule (we're shot one staff member) that "extra work" has continued for much of the year. This also has meant more pay for me, and subsequently I should have both maxed at the next paycheck.
Some of you savvy folks may say "but won't that mean you're losing out on some of your match?" Nope! My company has done an excellent job reconciling the match at the end of the year no matte what!

2 - has been done

3 - Finally have the money set aside, and I chose a company, so I'm all set! (Note: my company doesn't automatically contribute or match an HSA, so my "benefit" comes at tax time).

4 - smooth sailing.

5 - My wife comes up to me about 2 weeks ago: "Well, I saved some extra money, because I know you want that loan paid off."
Me: How much?
Wife: about $15000
Me: :wtf: :circlefap:
So this is DONE AS OF THIS MONTH!

I'm beside myself. I really didn't think this would get done because of so much family drama, and I didn't think my wife cared about debt as much as I did. I consider this year a financial success, and then some. Now for some big audacious goals next year. I won't post them yet though (because I haven't quite figured them out yet).

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

Still doin' them monthly updates! September:

1. Increase net worth from 72k to 94k. Currently 92.4k.
2. Increase emergency fund from 5.5k to 7.5k. Currently 7.2k.
3. Increase house fund from 2.5k to 11k. Currently 9k.
5. Contribute a minimum of $2400 to my Roth IRA. $1800.
6. Stay debt free. Yup.

On track to meet or exceed all of my goals! Feels good - especially since I decided to go back to school, again, and have been paying cash for it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

September progress

Guest2553 posted:

Increase family net worth to 220K from 180K Done! Challenge mode - 250k NW by EOY. Met savings goal this month even after a bit of frivolous spending on hobbies and unexpected expenditure for car maintenance. Income will be down next month while I'm on babby leave

Stretch goal is to develop some sort of side hustle. On hold while I'm trying to get a promotion at work.

Non-financial goal 1) regularly work out to get (back) in shape Started working out again while on baby leave. Still rocking a muffin top but still have a good decent okay base of fitness to (re)start from

Non financial goal 2) maintain some semblance of work/life balance. Currently on babby leave. Feels good, man.

Bonus financial goal: open a 529 for my babbys. Completed in Aug

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Q3!

Potrzebie posted:

Goals
Keep savings as % of income at or above 25%
37.2 with one quarter to go.

Open a tax-advantaged account for baby, buy index funds monthly
done. Saving ~$70 per month

No more online gambling
Fail. But net plus.

Learn a thing; see if thing can be used to create side income
It's me, the dad who figured that the "leave" part of parental leave ment I'd have free time :downs:

Start to transition portfolio from individual stock to index funds
No. Maybe next year.

Get wet and cold
Impractical with toddler. Fail.

Other stuff
Have a nice vacation
Hade several nice vacations, with ten days in France being the big one.!

Sleep
Sleeping like a baby :tootzzz:

Go debt free
Looking at purchasing a house... :stonk:

Make baby 2
Baby made. Now we wait.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

September update here and inline. It's a big one!

First off, in the last update, I was talking to an ex-employer about getting a developer job there (switching from QA, which would be the culmination of goal 2). They were encouraged by my work, but thought I was a bit too green for the position they had in mind (true!). However, they gave me a list of stuff to improve and told me to check back in, in a way that I really believe wasn't a brushoff. As such, I'm calling goal 2 complete. I will be working on skills, and a goal for early next year will be to change fields, hopefully with this company, but elsewhere if that doesn't work out.

Secondly, we bought a house! This means there will be big changes to goals 1, and 7. Our down payment was in order, and this is the exact scenario I was envisioning when I put the exception for goal 1 in, so I'm not calling it failed, and will just adjust the goal to be no car, no debt for house projects. I'm considering goal 7 done. We'll be using the saved money as a down payment, and some of the money going forward for house projects & furniture.

Third, we finally sold the car that constituted a (half) failed goal from 2016. I finally got off my rear end and did the repairs needed, and listed it. It sold, so we're back down to 1 car, as it should be.

Lastly, I'm in line for a raise and possible promotion at work. This isn't really goal related, but my boss is forgetful, so I'm putting this here to remind myself to remind him if this doesn't happen.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT. No cars, no debt for house projects - Bought a house! See above for modifications to this goal
2) Evaluate career change - See above, will be learning in Q4 and applying in 2018. Done!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $4700/$5.5k added so far. On track. This will need to come up more with a house, but that's a 2018 goal!
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $8244/$11000. On track
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - Down payment used on a house! Done!
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month to finish with the 12/1 paycheck
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - At $135k+ now! Going to consider this done, and re-calibrate the savings rate. Should still be high, but calculating this with mortgage payments and house projects is going to get confusing.
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - On track for keeping it off
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year. - No excuses here, only lost an additional 1 pound for stretch for a total of 22 lost this year, 2 out of 10 lost for the stretch.

Misc goals

Grumpwagon fucked around with this message at 17:36 on Nov 8, 2017

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

Lots of movement to the good:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

QUARTER THREE IS IN THE BOOKS!

By end of Q3:
- Savings to 50k. Officially done with this one, emergency fund now in place for emergencies.
- Wife private student loans totally retired. Officially done!

By end of Q4:
- MBA Tuition paid in full. One semester short, it'll be paid next semester when the degree is awarded!
- Pay off our "second mortgage" - this will put us well above 10% equity in our home, which is very exciting!

Yearly Goals:
- Be promoted. Success!

Things we will try to do:
- Watch for PSLF to see whether this program evaporates.

Stretch Goals
- “second mortgage” retired ($28,000 balance starting) I actually had this to happen in Q1 but I think it's a more worthwhile target to do now than would be finishing my tuition payment! So it's on the list to finish for Q4!
- 457 plan launched at work No movement.

howdoesishotweb
Nov 21, 2002

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Lots of movement to the good:

Why carry a 28k second mortgage with 50k savings? Low interest rate?

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

howdoesishotweb posted:

Why carry a 28k second mortgage with 50k savings? Low interest rate?

The 50k is our emergency fund. Previously we had literally zero money in our savings. We actually bought our house with truly 0 down. The second mortgage was originated at time of purchase in October 2016 and will be paid in full by December 2017. Good question, though, but I didn't want to scalp our emergency fund to pay the mortgage, given that the emergency fund has to cover several months of all of our other expenses.

Just a preference thing, but our family went from not making very much money to making very much money in about 2 months, so things are a little... fucky?

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (September update):

Currently still unemployed, but I have an offer on the table with one or two more coming in by the end of the week. I should have a job by the end of the month (with a >10% salary increase :woop:). On a political side note - the social safety net in the US is hosed up. I feel very bad for people that can't afford to save an emergency fund because being unemployed here is not a great experience.

quote:

- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA
- meet company match on 401k The companies I'm getting offers from all have 401k matches, so I'll definitely start this again.
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary
- Help my wife make money on Etsy

Most of my free time has been spent on job hunting, interviews, or doing unproductive activities. I'll get back on some of those goals shortly, but I'd wager a few of them will not be achieved this year.

Good-Natured Filth fucked around with this message at 20:00 on Oct 5, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rick Rickshaw
Feb 21, 2007

I am not disappointed I lost the PGA Championship. Nope, I am not.
It's been a while since my last update!

Rick Rickshaw posted:

Current Figures:
Retirement Funds: $114k
House Equity: $41k
Non-Mortgage Debt: $0
Net Worth: $155k

2017 Goals:
1. Increase net worth to 210k. (This seems insane, but this is just what my spreadsheet tells me should happen. Depends on 10% stock market gain).
Just finally crossed $200k! Might fall short of the $210k mark though.
2. Max RRSP & TFSA again
Maxed TFSA. Waiting until year end to max RRSP. In my last update I mentioned I threw some money at crypto and weed stocks. Those are actually doing fairly well. Yay.
3. Start brewing beer again, allowing for cheap fun with friends
I am primed to start this up again once my renovation is done.
4. Maybe buy one more bike @ -$1000~ and sell two others (+$400). Ideally this will be my only non-regular purchase aside from gifts and some home reno supplies...nothing major, hopefully.
Have mostly kept bike and reno expenses under control, thankfully.
5. Gain 10 pounds. Currently 142.
I gained 25 lbs, which was clearly not all muscle. I cut back down to 152 now. I figure I have indeed gained at least 10 pounds of muscle this year, maybe more. I'd like to lean down a bit more while still building muscle.

• Locked thread