Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sundae
Dec 1, 2005
Haven't updated in several months, but here we go:

Goals for 2017 posted:

Habit oriented
1 - My wife and I are going to start using YNAB and regularly track our expenses actively instead of passively with Mint after the fact. By end of January, build the habit to religiously record everything we spend.
2 - My wife and I need to better structure our outside-of-work businesses. By end of January, build a schedule for our at-home projects that we can adhere to at 50%. By end of March, 80% adherence. Stick at 80% average level from March to December.
3 - I need to get more structured with my workouts and not go from great performance to weeks of lovely adherence. By end of January, build a workout schedule I can adhere to at 50%. By end of February, 80%. Stick at 80% average level from February to December.

Expense oriented for both Sundae and Wife
1 - Right now, life is great because my company is paying most of my rent in the Bay Area. In June 2018, that subsidy supposedly ends. GOAL: Put aside $2,500 a month in savings each month in 2017 to simulate ability to live within budget in bay area without the rent subsidy.
2 - Limit our at-home alcohol purchases to $30 per month. (2 bottles of wine per month, basically.)
3 - Limit eating out (including lunch and dinner) to $148 a month. ($100 dinner, $48 lunch)
4 - Greed Limit (ooh shiny purchases): $200 for both per month.
5 - Glutton Limit (ooh tasty purchases): $100 for both per month.

Business Oriented
1 - Publish three new stories per month, minimum. Wife will assist.
2 - Publish two new novels in 2017, minimum.
3 - Grow short story author mailing list by 500 names in 2017.
4 - Grow novel author mailing list by 500 names in 2017.
5 - Put aside all non-tax and non-expense income from side business as savings. (AKA, live entirely within the bounds of the day job salary.)

Lifestyle Oriented
1 - Lose 12 pounds at minimum. If I fail at this, I loving suck. 12 pounds should be so goddamned easy that it's shameful. Stretch Goal: Lose 24 pounds.
2 - By end of February, schedule and attend a meeting with my day job company's financial advisor to determine how much, exactly, I'm allowed to put away for retirement in each eligible type. (I have a fairly complicated income package, with salary, self-employed income, RSUs and SARs. I'm maxing my 401(k) and putting some into a Roth IRA, but I want to figure out what I'm eligible to do and max things appropriately. I'm not using his suggestions, but I want dollar amounts.)
3 - STRETCH GOAL: If applicable from #2, increase my retirement contributions by no less than 5% to eligible non-401(k) sources in 2017.

Habits:
1 - Complete failure. It just didn't loving stick. We're writing the spending on a calendar instead because we're dinosaurs who love pencils and paper, but we're bad at keeping up with it. Serious criticism of self: If I didn't make a fuckload of money, I'd be in a lot of trouble with my inability to maintain a solid budget / stick to spending targets. I have to get better about this.
2 - We're doing okay here. I think we're set on structure for businesses.
3 - I'm doing okay here. 3 days per week, every week.

Expense-Oriented:
1 - We haven't been good about this for the last two months because we had to replace our car. I bought a used Prius for $7K, paid cash, and then spent the next two months recovering the safety balances using that $2,500 instead of setting it into the regular savings area. We'll be fine on this starting this month I think.
2 - We're doing fine on this because we're only allowing ourselves to drink one drink a week, each.
3 - Doing okay here.
4 - I have to review this one and honestly don't know how we're doing because of the complete failure to use YNAB. I suspect that we failed.
5 - I have to review this one and honestly don't know how we're doing because of the complete failure to use YNAB. I suspect that we succeeded because ongoing diets.

Business Oriented
1-4: Entire goal is on-hold because my wife has picked up a fairly large contract for her art and I'm working on a separate project. This isn't a failure as much as it is a complete change of priorities. Goal canceled except for #5.
5 - We're still putting aside all of our royalties from existing works. Ongoing and still doing fine.

Lifestyle Oriented
1 - I am down 16 pounds. Probably not hitting the 24# mark, but I'm trying.
2 - Complete.
3 - Not applicable. I'm maxing everything I'm eligible for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Omne
Jul 12, 2003

Orangedude Forever

Omne posted:

Omne's 2017 Financial Goals!
1. No. New. Debt.
2. Increase 401k contributions to 12% (from 10%)
3. Pay off remainder of furniture loan ($1488)
4. Build emergency fund to $12,500 (from $8,200)
5. Lower the 6.8% student loan to $7,500 (from $11,600)

Stretches:
6. Lower the student loan to $5,000
7. Build medium-term savings fund to $2,000

There are two potential events that could upend these, but I'm sticking to them for now!

Oh boy.

1. Technical Failure. Moving expenses went on my credit card, and although I'll get reimbursed for most of it ($5k out of $6200), it has to float for a month so I'll be paying interest for the first time in six years.
2. Still on track. I set up my 401k at the new job to start at 12%
3. Done in Q1
4. Right now it actually dropped to $7500 due to some expenses in getting the house ready for the market
5. Still on track.

We have an offer on our house in Memphis, which if it goes through will allow us to pay off all moving debt right away, get our emergency fund WAY above $12,500 AND have some left over. We are hoping it doesn't get blown up. Closing scheduled for 10/25

nikosoft
Dec 17, 2011

ghost in the shell, but somehow much worse
College Slice
2017 Goals

1) Max 401k - On track
2) Max both IRAs - On track
3) Purchase disability/life insurance for me - Done
4) Update kitchen (15k max) - This will be ~30k including appliances - demo starts in a month! I was way off in my estimate of how much this would cost and that became very apparent once I started taking bids. I also thought I would have nervous breakdown over spending this much money, but I am actually having zero issues with it; my chosen contractor is very professional and reliable and there's a huge peace of mind in knowing everything will be done correctly. Also, not only is this something that we need to do, it's something that I want to do and I think that matters a lot. I'm really excited, guys! :3:
5) Get mortgage down to 75k (95k starting / 75k currently) - Done
6) Take at least a week's vacation - Done

Stretch

1) Install solar panels (10k-15k estimate) - Swapped w/ kitchen remodel goal, this won't happen until 2018
2) Help brother-in-law buy a newer car (3k max) - Done. Contributed 1.7k to buying him a safe, modern car

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Did this in 2016 then failed in 2017.

Context. New job with another on the horizon and just bought a new house. Entering into the cleared debt, max savings, decent income phase of my life.

Goals for Q4.
Max out isa (UK tax advantaged investment/savings vehicle c. 15k GBP per year). Resets each April.

Stretch goal for q1 2018. Save enough to max this on April 1st for first time ever.

Work out new budget with new home. It's a big house so all the bills and taxes are different. Must continue to add 22% of gross to retirement account and save enough to max isa each year. Also have to figure out a way to pay for home improvements and a plan for paying down this mortgage as it's set to run till I'm in my 60s and I want to retire free and clear long before then. In early 30s now.

Side goal. Increase income by 50% (finally started taking career seriously about 5 years ago, have been lucky but it's paying dividends)

Edit - These threads are good. Don't even care if people read my post but it's a form of public commitment and that helps people stick to goals. I'm more comfortable sharing even the little above with internet strangers than people close to me (apart from my wife of course).

Cast_No_Shadow fucked around with this message at 10:00 on Oct 8, 2017

The Big Jesus
Oct 29, 2007

#essereFerrari

The Big Jesus posted:

I didn't make any goals for last year but still managed to get decent things done. Hopefully I can do better with some goals!

1) Max Roth IRA
2) Max HSA
3) Put enough in 401(k) for company match
4) Get emergency fund to $7500
5) Figure out where I should put my emergency fund.
6a) Get into an MBA program
6b) Get a couple roommates
7) Get down to 175 lbs before my buddy's wedding at the end of May. Slim fit suit here I come... (Literal stretch goal: before my brother's wedding at the end of April)

Done all of em. New goal: stay under 185 through school and the holidays.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

CALL OF DUTY! :rock:
Grimey Drawer
End of Q3 updates

DJCobol posted:

Max out HSA contributions of $3,400 - On track with monthly contributions. Right now I'm contributing post tax and taking the deduction on my taxes, next year it will be pre-tax payroll deductions.
Max out Roth IRA contributions of $5,500 - On track with bi-weekly transfers to match my pay periods from work.
Dedicated house emergency fund of $2,500 because old houses could literally blow up at any second - Completed earlier this year.
Dedicated personal emergency fund of $10,000 because being homeless would suck if I lose my job - Completed earlier this year.
Up 401(k) contribution percentage from 10% to 15% by end of the year (probably after tax time) - Halfway there, upped it to 12.5% after I got my tax return back. Planning on upping it to fully max out my 401(k) next year.
Spend tax return on hookers and blow in Vegas - Fail. Bought stupid house stuff
Vacation to a continent that isn't North America - On track. Berlin is still booked for Christmas, and Dubai is suddenly in play as well.
Sell my current motorcycle - Fail. loving motorcycles.

One extra bit to add:
Bought a new-ish car. The transmission on my old one was on its way out, and I had gotten way more out of it than what I originally paid for it, so I picked up a 2015 Ford Edge Sport. Between my trade in and a cash down payment, my monthly payments are still totally within a reasonable amount for my 50-30-20 budget, and my insurance actually went down. Came with a 5 year/100k MaxCare warranty so for the next 5 years I only have to worry about gas, oil changes, and tires. :feelsgood:

Edit: Roth contribution limit is $5,500 not $5,000. Still on track with bi-weekly transfers.

DJCobol fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 11, 2017

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
Not keeping up with regularly updates, but here's as ad-hoc:

2017 Goals
Increase Emergency Fund to 1 month after-tax income - Up to 25%. Balancing paying down some debt and building this up.
Increase Monthly Savings rate to $250/mo (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects) - At 3% of take-home. Getting to 4% will hit this goal. Each month I'm ratcheting it up while we tighten the budget
Increase 401k Contribution to 3% by year-end - Completed. Like the savings, ratcheting this up each month.
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $250/mo in income - Pause on this. Work is all encompassing right now.
Pay down all variable interest debt (HELOC: ~$6K) - On track, will be down to $1K at the end of the month and should be able to knock it out before year end

Stretch Goals
Increase Monthly Savings rate to 5% (based on 2 paycheck months, leave 2 'extra' paychecks for savings/projects) -
Increase 401k contribution to 5% by year-end -
Begin Side Hustle to generate at least $500/mo in income -
Increase Emergency Fund to 2 month income - $12K -

Wife and I got really serious about making inroads on our savings/goals. Have a lot of momentum right now.

Potrzebie
Apr 6, 2010

I may not know what I'm talking about, but I sure love cops! ^^ Boy, but that boot is just yummy!
Lipstick Apathy
Yesterday we closed on a house. This is a good financial idea, no?

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Evil Red Wings Owner Wario Lemieux Steals Stanley Cup
Commentary on me being Bad With Money is welcome and any suggestions on how to eliminate this poo poo quicker too

Late 2016: increased gross income from 35,000 to 48,250
At 25, 5 years ago: bought a house with ex-fiance
Shortly thereafter: she left and took her poo poo, which left me with an empty house and poor self-control
My mid-to-late-20's: racked up absurd credit card debts with hobbies such as PC gaming, watches, cigars, movies, and dating

I have been budgeting and have consistently paid down some accounts. Moving in my girlfriend of a year last month and sharing living expenses has my 2018 budget showing 4 accounts I pay monthly on now to be paid off by end of March. Having her around has helped me be more disciplined on spending as well.

Debt totals:

- HOUSE $78,514
78%= $70,122 ($85/month PMI will drop off when this is hit)
- Card 1 $4,990
- Card 2 $4,925
- Card 3 $4,354
- Card 4 $5,411
- Card 5 $3,850
- Card 6 $700
- School $1,300
- Card 7 $717
- Card 8 $825
- Card 9 $870
- Card 10 $980
- Card 11 $1,080

Current budget will have card 7 paid off by November, school loans paid by end of January, and cards 8 and 9 paid by end of March (three paychecks that month).

By Spring, with those four smaller accounts gone and the balances on the other small ones lowered, I figure I'll be able to move away from putting minimum payments on the big fuckers and charging small amounts to top em out again, to putting larger payments on them, keeping cash on the side as to not use them further, and finally start the grind to move away from being charged hundreds a month in interest as I slowly pay them down.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

Potrzebie posted:

Yesterday we closed on a house. This is a good financial idea, no?

It's always difficult to say until you have the benefit of hindsight. My house value went up by about $170k in the two years after I bought it and is still at that value. Turns out it was a good idea.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

metallicaeg posted:

Commentary on me being Bad With Money is welcome and any suggestions on how to eliminate this poo poo quicker too

Late 2016: increased gross income from 35,000 to 48,250
At 25, 5 years ago: bought a house with ex-fiance
Shortly thereafter: she left and took her poo poo, which left me with an empty house and poor self-control
My mid-to-late-20's: racked up absurd credit card debts with hobbies such as PC gaming, watches, cigars, movies, and dating

I have been budgeting and have consistently paid down some accounts. Moving in my girlfriend of a year last month and sharing living expenses has my 2018 budget showing 4 accounts I pay monthly on now to be paid off by end of March. Having her around has helped me be more disciplined on spending as well.

Debt totals:

Current budget will have card 7 paid off by November, school loans paid by end of January, and cards 8 and 9 paid by end of March (three paychecks that month).

By Spring, with those four smaller accounts gone and the balances on the other small ones lowered, I figure I'll be able to move away from putting minimum payments on the big fuckers and charging small amounts to top em out again, to putting larger payments on them, keeping cash on the side as to not use them further, and finally start the grind to move away from being charged hundreds a month in interest as I slowly pay them down.

Apologies for the double post but I though this would be clearer as a separate post.

I'm assuming you are in the US so you do not have the same banking flexibility otherwise I'd suggest moving some of the debts to an overdraft/revolving credit (HELOC) against the house. Looking at your credit cards and school loan you seem to be a in a cash flow bind. I'd say just proceed with what you are a currently doing. What you are proposing to do is effectively shift some of the debt to lower interest cards. I think that is your best option now that you are moving away from only being able to pay minimum payments each month.

Do stick with it as it's a painfully slow seeming process at the start. However if you keep this up your debts will look a lot better in a few years time. Sometimes I would suggest paying off the lowest balances first (snowball repayment) but you seem to be able to handle the administration of all of these debts. Along with the four small ones being repaid early next year anyway it's a moot point.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

Yeah we have loans and/or credit that can be taken against home equity, but in my case I bought a cheap house with little down and even after 5 years in this house I only have about 10k in equity.

Devian666
Aug 20, 2008

Take some advice Chris.

Fun Shoe

metallicaeg posted:

Yeah we have loans and/or credit that can be taken against home equity, but in my case I bought a cheap house with little down and even after 5 years in this house I only have about 10k in equity.

It takes a long time to get any significant equity on 30 year mortgages. There's not much you can do other than what you're planning already as the sum of your minimum payments must be considerable.

spinst
Jul 14, 2012

October was a good month:

1. Increase net worth from 72k to 94k. Currently 97k. Done!
2. Increase emergency fund from 5.5k to 7.5k. Currently 7.5k. Done!
3. Increase house fund from 2.5k to 11k. Currently 9.5k.
4. Go on a fun (overseas?) trip this summer. Spending Limit: 3k. Trip cancelled.
5. Contribute a minimum of $2400 to my Roth IRA. $2000.
6. Stay debt free. Yup.

On track to meet or exceed all of my goals! Feels good - especially since I decided to go back to school, again, and have been paying cash for it.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

Runner-up, TRP Sack Race 2021/22
Trying to make this "paying for grad school without taking loans" thing work without compromising other things. We are having a really good year at work so this should be OK.

2017 Goals:
Save $2,000/mo towards house downpayment fund - on track
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving Done! About $500/mo net effect
Max 401K on track
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage On track
Max IRA On track
Net worth goal: $225,000 Beat this one, currently $247,800
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000 On track, currently $247,800, due to some advanced bonus payments

Random poo poo:
Ditched cable, now we pay $40/mo flat for internet. Feels good man.

Non monetary:
Get engaged woo got engaged woo
Plan wedding substantive stuff is done
go on a cool vacation went to CA in June which was nice. Have scheduled a few days off to bum around the house in October Partial failure, my "time off" in October was actually spent working

Stretch goal:
If I move somewhere with a garage and if I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3. On track for this; have received target bonus as advanced payments

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

Non monetary:

Congrats!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

Congrats!

thanks! planning a wedding: it is so much work why

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Do you think I've got the goods Bubblegum? Cuz I am INTO this stuff!

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

thanks! planning a wedding: it is so much work why

The trick is to not have family or friends. Then, it's super easy. :) But yeah, wedding planning is the worst.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Oct update

Guest2553 posted:

Increase family net worth to 220K from 180K Done! Challenge mode - 250k NW by EOY. Technically done - sitting at 257k, most of which is due to FX changes in my mostly international portfolio. I didn't manage to save anything this month due to a reduced paycheck while on parental leave, having to buy winter gear for growing childrens, and overpriced duct cleaning for a house that has never had its ducts cleaned in a town where there is only one provider.

Stretch goal is to develop some sort of side hustle. On hold while I'm trying to get a promotion at work. I recently received a very favorable review this year so I have a realistic shot at getting selected in the next year or two.

Non-financial goal 1) regularly work out to get (back) in shape :negative:

Non financial goal 2) maintain some semblance of work/life balance. I'm in the process of handing over a major project but also picking up two others so net loss :smith:

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

2017 Goals (October update):

I started my new job towards the middle of this month. The pay schedule is a bit weird, so I won't get my first paycheck until next week. But being employed is a good thing!

quote:

- My wife will be quitting her job next year (was a goal for last year, but we pushed it back). Need to re-assess budget before that happens. Back of the napkin says we'll be more than fine, but I want hard numbers in a spreadsheet
- 6000 in Roth IRAs
- 2000 in HSA
- meet company match on 401k Setup my new 401k to meet the potential match (the wording around it is very much "we may or may not match due to whatever business reasons").
- 50/month in daughter's 529 on track
- Go somewhere nice for our 5 year anniversary
- Get some storage for the basement and clean it up a bit (spend less than $250) This could happen before the end of the year depending if we can arrange a weekend at my parents for our daughter.
- Buy a new vehicle with more than 75% cash My wife is really ready for this. It's budgeted, but I'm not a fan of negotiating, so I've been pushing off going dealer shopping.
- Decide on having baby number 2 (more budget re-assessment)
- Help my wife make money on Etsy She has her store page setup. I'm trying to encourage her to get a single item listed, but she's 3 months pregnant and very tired most days.
- Run some new electrical and Ethernet drops all over my house (need to figure out a budget for this) This isn't going to happen.

I've been reading a lot of Early Retirement Now recently. He makes a solid argument against having an emergency fund that I'm going to mull over a bit more. I'll make re-arranging that part of next year's goals, but it's food for thought.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007
I am a giant assfuck who needs to harden the fuck up.

October mini-update inline. Swamped with house projects, but so far all have been minor and fun. Now that I've said that, I assume the sewer is overflowing into my basement right now.

Got a minor raise (4%). In line for a promotion in 6 months, which will come with a still minor, but less minor raise. Not 100% sure I'll still be working here in 6 months, but if I am, that'll be nice.

Grumpwagon posted:

2017 Goals
1) NO NEW DEBT. No cars, no debt for house projects - On track. Spent a poo poo-ton of money last month, but none of it was debt, and all was planned.
2) Evaluate career change - Done!
3) Consolidate last remaining solo accounts from before marriage - Done!
4) Bring emergency fund up to $12k - $5200/$5.5k added. Final payment set for 12/1!
5) Max out Roth IRAs for both of us - $9160/$11000. On track, final payment set for 1/1!
6) Continue funding 401ks at 10% each - On track
7) Save $40k for a down payment for a house by 1/1/18 - Done![/s]
7 Stretch) Save $3636 a month - Done!
8) Take a vacation (~$3k) - Done!
9) Increase NW to $135k/Continue ~60% savings rate - Done
10) Lose 20 pounds and keep it off - Unsure, scale is packed still, but should be good
10 Stretch) Lose an additional 10 pounds, for 30 on the year

Misc goals
Stay current on YNAB, stay current on birth control (i.e. no kids please), keep learning in and out of my career, and (stretch) keep an eye open for a good side gig that won't make me crazy. - On track

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

:hampants::hampants::hampants:

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Lots of movement to the good:

By end of Q4:
- MBA Tuition paid in full. One semester short, it'll be paid next semester when the degree is awarded. I will be able to do this on February 1!
- Our 403 (b)s fully funded. On track! This one will be a success! 52k each in mixture of pre and post-tax income.
- Pay off our "second mortgage" - this will put us well above 10% equity in our home, which is very exciting! I will be able to do this on January 1!

Yearly Goals:

- No new household debt. Failed, bought a new car two months ago but the old one died so... not too bad. No further debt. In fact, our credit has been frozen since August!
- Be promoted. Success! It was accompanied with a juicy, 15% raise.

Things we will try to do:
- Watch for PSLF to see whether this program evaporates. So far, no news is good news.

Stretch Goals
- “second mortgage” retired ($28,000 balance starting) I actually had this to happen in Q1 but I think it's a more worthwhile target to do now than would be finishing my tuition payment! So it's on the list to finish for Q4!
- 457 plan launched at work. Finally reached out in desperation to the President of our University. He emailed back immediately and said he would work on it, and "didn't know why we didn't have it already." Seems promising.

Is it about time to start thinking about next year's goals? The 2017 thread has been great, and it's hella fun to watch the numbers go up!

Happiness Commando
Feb 1, 2002
$$ joy at gunpoint $$

Happiness Commando posted:

I'm quitting my job that I've outgrown for a GWL 6 month travel opportunity.

2017 Goals
* Return to Colorado after travelling and find a good and affordable shared house to live in
* Get new IT job paying at least 65K + benefits that is interesting and challenging with room to grow
* Get back into rock climbing after 6+ months off, return to old level of skill by years end for future growth in 2018

I did all these things

* I am back in CO, living in the same shared house that I moved out of back in March. Rent is incrementally more expensive, since we went from a 4-way split to a 3-way split, but still eminently affordable
* I got a ~30% raise to be the #1 IT guy at a new business and will be taking on management responsibilities as the business grows
* I am climbing again more or less at my old skill level.

I win!

Stretch goal: Fully funded 2017 and 2018 IRA by January 1, 2018. Can I come up with $11K in 6 weeks?

Happiness Commando fucked around with this message at 17:04 on Nov 16, 2017

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

2017 Goals:
Save $2,000/mo towards house downpayment fund - on track
Move to a place with same or lower rent wherever I end up moving Done! About $500/mo net effect
Max 401K on track
Save $500/mo in taxable brokerage On track
Max IRA On track
Net worth goal: $225,000 Beat this one, currently $247,800
Net worth stretch goal: $250,000 On track, currently $247,800, due to some advanced bonus payments

Non monetary:
go on a cool vacation good enough I guess, will do better next year

Stretch goal:
If I receive a higher than expected bonus in 2017 ($60k target), and if I have met all my other goals, set aside $20,000 for the acquisition of a Serie 1 Lancia Fulvia 1.3. got the bonus figures last week, had a really excellent year and was compensated for it, the car search begins!

edit: I support the creation of a 2018 financial goals thread

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

KYOON GRIFFEY JR posted:

edit: I support the creation of a 2018 financial goals thread

Congratulations on your upcoming matrimony!

Also, I support the creation of a 2018 financial goals thread.

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Also, I support the creation of a 2018 financial goals thread.

I'll try to put one together tonight.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

Sheesh, you guys are worse than the Christmas music before Thanksgiving people! It's still November! 2017!

(I also support a 2018 thread, I just probably won't post in it until then)

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

you gotta have goals to paper at least a month out so you can EXECUTE

EAT FASTER!!!!!! posted:

Congratulations on your upcoming matrimony!

thanks friend, it is a wild ride!!

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer

Grumpwagon posted:

Sheesh, you guys are worse than the Christmas music before Thanksgiving people! It's still November! 2017!

(I also support a 2018 thread, I just probably won't post in it until then)

I've been listening to Christmas music for over a week now, and my tree has been up since last weekend.

Grumpwagon
May 6, 2007

DJCobol posted:

I've been listening to Christmas music for over a week now, and my tree has been up since last weekend.

:getout:

spwrozek
Sep 4, 2006

Sail when it's windy

KYOON GRIFFEY JR
Apr 12, 2010

DJCobol posted:

You monster

DJCobol
May 16, 2003

Grimey Drawer
Deck the halls motherfuckers. Get in that Christmas spirit!

Good-Natured Filth
Jun 8, 2008

Someone started playing Christmas music at work yesterday, and I threw their computer in the garbage.

TraderStav
May 19, 2006

It feels like I was standing my entire life and I just sat down
I'm ready for the 2018 goals thread. I sketched mine out during a meeting the other day and very happy that they're building on my 2017 goals instead of starting from scratch. What a good feeling to have the visible improvement YoY!

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

My posts in the 2018 thread will p much be "still broke, still comically in debt, but hopefully a little less so as the year moves along"

Referee
Aug 25, 2004

"Winning is great, sure, but if you are really going to do something in life, the secret is learning how to lose. Nobody goes undefeated all the time. If you can pick up after a crushing defeat, and go on to win again, you are going to be a champion someday."
(Wilma Rudolph)

metallicaeg posted:

My posts in the 2018 thread will p much be "still broke, still comically in debt, but hopefully a little less so as the year moves along"

I'm sorta in this boat too but want to keep accountable. I need to post a 2017 progress report in here soon, too.

metallicaeg
Nov 28, 2005

metallicaeg posted:

- HOUSE $78,514
78%= $70,122 ($85/month PMI will drop off when this is hit)
- Card 1 $4,990
- Card 2 $4,925
- Card 3 $4,354
- Card 4 $5,411
- Card 5 $3,850
- Card 6 $700
- School $1,300
- Card 7 $717
- Card 8 $825
- Card 9 $870
- Card 10 $980
- Card 11 $1,080
I'm probably gonna post every month with my new totals:

- HOUSE $78,185
- Card 1 $4,946
- Card 2 $4,933
- Card 3 $4,272
- Card 4 $5,484
- Card 5 $3,878
- Card 6 $1183
- School $802
- Card 7 $2780
- Card 8 $750
- Card 9 $750
- Card 10 $885
- Card 11 $1,090

Went too hard with Christmas shopping. Also getting a new bed, though I'll have $700 coming in from my SO when she pays her half of it soon. Still on track to pay off school loan by end of January and cards 8 and 9 by end of March.

EAT FASTER!!!!!!
Sep 21, 2002

Legendary.

metallicaeg posted:

I'm probably gonna post every month with my new totals:

- HOUSE $78,185
- Card 1 $4,946
- Card 2 $4,933
- Card 3 $4,272
- Card 4 $5,484
- Card 5 $3,878
- Card 6 $1183
- School $802
- Card 7 $2780
- Card 8 $750
- Card 9 $750
- Card 10 $885
- Card 11 $1,090

Went too hard with Christmas shopping. Also getting a new bed, though I'll have $700 coming in from my SO when she pays her half of it soon. Still on track to pay off school loan by end of January and cards 8 and 9 by end of March.

You're another $2,000 in debt. What?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

zaurg
Mar 1, 2004
I'm gonna thrown down on that 2018 thread.

• Locked thread