Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poolside toaster
Jul 12, 2008
Hi GWS, I'm on a very limited diet (I'm recovering from surgery and can't eat a lot of things) and am going bonkers from boredom. Meals right now for me pretty much have to be 90% soft protein (no beef, pork, or lamb), so I've been doing lots of tofu and chicken.

So far I've just been cutting the tofu into strips or squares, and sautéing them in hot chili sesame oil with some spices (such as pepper, red pepper flakes, paprika, etc.) and maybe some stock. Once cooked, I'll toss in some soy sauce, shaved parmesan, or a bit of spicy mustard and that's it. I'm not much of a cook - I'm more of a baker (breads, cookies, cakes), so I'm a bit lost.

Any suggestions for interesting preparations would be appreciated. I can take heat with no problems, and I love Indian food, but I have no clue where to even begin with that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Molten Llama
Sep 20, 2006
You can do all of the things to tofu, so being more of a baker shouldn't be too much of a hindrance. Broil, sautee, bake, sear, grill, fry, simmer... You've got options. Hell, you can throw it in a blender and consume it as a smoothie or soup if you so desire. For the most part, you can swap tofu into any recipe and get something that's at least edible if not also palatable. The trick is that you're generally adding the tofu later if you'd otherwise be working with raw meat, since it doesn't need to be cooked and will fall apart if cooked too long or too vigorously.

Since you love Indian, any of your favorite paneer dishes can be made with tofu instead of or in addition to paneer. Flavor's not exactly the same, but you still get white chunks of things, and extra-firm tofu is a similar-ish texture.

And if heat's your jam, Korean sundubu is tasty and can be as blazing hot as you like. (And comes in convenient kit form at your local Asian grocer if you want to be extra lazy.)

Really, though, "tofu in sauce" is a staple of tofu-eating countries, and conveniently the world is full of "food in sauce" staples. Pick a sauce you like, pick a preparation, and you've got a world of variety open to you for your recovery. Fresh ma-po tofu? Grilled tofu chimichurri? Tofu tikka masala? Baked tofu picatta?

• Locked thread