Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Dear Viewer,

I'm sorry to say that the television program you are currently considering watching is not going to be pleasant. It will begin to bring the tale of the three unfortunate Baudelaire siblings to the small screen for the first time. Although these children are intelligent and kind, their lives are beset by misfortune. Every episode of this show is filled with one disaster after another, as a sinister plot unfolds around them.

In just this first season, the Baudelaires will be forced to endure such horrors as a poorly acted play, a deadly snake, ravenous leeches, a fearsome villain, and coupons.

I swore long ago to chronicle this sad story, and more recently to bring it to a new audience through Netflix. You however are under no such obligation. I highly recommend that you avoid this show and instead seek out something more cheerful, such as Crazy Ex-Girlfriend or Game of Thrones.

With all due respect,

Lemony Snicket

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 06:27 on Jan 9, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Netflix is releasing Season the First of Lemony Snicket's A Series Of Unfortunate Events in full on Friday the 13th of January, 2017

A Series of Unfortunate Events is a new show on Netflix based on the series of children's books by the same name by Lemony Snicket (the pseudonym of Daniel Handler).. It tells the story of the Baudelaire Orphans who, after the tragic deaths of their parents, find themselves embroiled in misfortune as a terrible villain named Count Olaf does everything he can to get his hands on the fortune their parents left them. A mystery about the truth of their parents lives also hangs over them throughout the series.

The books consist of the 13 main books, and then a number of supplemental books dealing with more in depth backstory and side stories of the world they take place in. This first season of the show will be covering the first four books - The Bad Beginning, The Reptile Room, The Wide Window, and The Miserable Mill. From the trailers it also looks like they are bringing in certain plot elements that only appeared in later books to give the show a more cohesive build up.

These trailers should give you a brief idea of what to expect:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tup-5yOcJuM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DHyxlzHudoU

Cast

The three Baudelaire orphans are the eldest sister Violet Baudelaire (Malina Weissman), the middle brother Klaus Baudelaire (Louis Hynes) and the baby sister Sunny Baudelaire (Presley Smith). The series follows them as they struggle to stay safe and get to the bottom of the many mysteries that surround them.

Mr. Poe (K. Todd Freeman) is the well-meaning but unimaginative banker who for some reason is charged with handling the Baudelaire's transition to a new guardian after their parents' demise. He maybe doesn't do such a great job.

Count Olaf (Neil Patrick Harris) is the new guardian assigned to care for the Baudelaires. He is a highly unpleasant man who assigns the Baudelaires all manner of difficult and tedious chores. However his true motives are mysterious, a word which here means "he wants their money and there is no scheme he will not attempt, no level to which he will not stoop to get his hands on it."

Lemony Snicket (Patrick Warburton) tasked himself with writing down every detail of the Baudelaire's lives. He serves as the narrator of this story, dutifully retelling the sad events that he is powerless to change. Why is he so devoted to this duty?

If you watched the trailers you may have noticed many other familiar faces of well-known actors, but for various reasons I won't be listing them in the OP. You'll find out who they are when they show up.

Spoiler Rules

X-O posted:

:siren: Netflix Rules Update! :siren:

OK, here's what we're going to try as a test. Some people are not happy with the go-wild aspect of the Netflix threads so we're going to try a different approach. If you have general thoughts on the show that's fine. If you are doing specific reactions to episodes they will go into labeled spoiler tags with the episode you are on or have completed for the first 72 hours. If you haven't gotten to that episode then don't click on the spoiler. This is just a trial for Daredevil and if it doesn't work we'll just go back to the old way from now on. And now an example post:

So far the show is good. I enjoy this show so far through episode 10. It is a fine television program.

1x10
The thing that happens in this episode certainly happened. And how it tied back into what they were saying in episode 3 was definitely a cool thing. I think the villain that appeared in this episode and did the villainy thing was bad. He should be punched by the Daredevil and have to go to jail.

The 1x10 is just the episode you're up to. You can write all about episode four if you want, but if you let something slip that came out later and you forget and it maybe happened in episode six that's why you still put episode 10 and not episode 4. Get it? Hope it works. And if not sorry!

Finally, considering that this show is based on a series of books that completed years ago, the whole story and the answers to many questions that pop up along the way are already out there. I kind of doubt this show and thread will be popular enough to warrant a separate spoiler thread so I'd just like to request that people avoid talking too much about book spoilers. Maybe when the season is out there we can discuss adaptation differences with the first four books, but otherwise let's let newcomers experience this story blind.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Jan 9, 2017

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

A small personal note for anyone who’s interested – these books played a very significant role in my formative years. Something about them inspired and excited teenage me more than any other. They’ve been over for a long time now (though a handful of spinoff books just finished coming out in 2015) but they still hold a very special place in my heart. I, like many others, was disappointed by the 2004 movie adaptation that covered only the first 3 books. With more time to spend on each book, with Daniel Handler more directly involved, and from what I’ve seen in the trailers, my hopes for this Netflix series are much higher. I hope we all enjoy it whether you are a fan of the books or know nothing about them.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Regy Rusty posted:

A small personal note for anyone who’s interested – these books played a very significant role in my formative years. Something about them inspired and excited teenage me more than any other. They’ve been over for a long time now (though a handful of spinoff books just finished coming out in 2015) but they still hold a very special place in my heart. I, like many others, was disappointed by the 2004 movie adaptation that covered only the first 3 books. With more time to spend on each book, with Daniel Handler more directly involved, and from what I’ve seen in the trailers, my hopes for this Netflix series are much higher. I hope we all enjoy it whether you are a fan of the books or know nothing about them.

I agree with all of this especially the first part

DangerDummy!
Jul 7, 2009

My 9 year old just finished the books a few months ago and has watched the movie more than I care to think about. We're resubscribing to Netflix just for this, so I hope it lives up to her expectations. Pretty good cast, from what I've seen, though.

If there's one thing I really do appreciate about the Lemony Snickett books is how well they acknowledge just how morbid the sense of humor the average child possesses. Kids are really loving weird and focus on some unsettling poo poo sometimes, and I feel like adults are loath to admit that for the most part. God knows no one was willing to cater to that when I was a kid.

DangerDummy! fucked around with this message at 07:12 on Jan 7, 2017

Accordion Man
Nov 7, 2012

Buglord
It's actually rather smart to divide each season into four books. I was thinking that they would end at every third book because each one sort of ends on a turning point for the series and/or has a big cliffhanger, but four still works like that. And then this way they can just do The End as like a finale movie or something.

Accordion Man fucked around with this message at 08:40 on Jan 7, 2017

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Hmm. By the title I thought this might be a documentary about 2016 that got a quick turnaround.

Seriously though I've never heard of this property before and know nothing beyond what I've seen in the trailers and it seems interesting. I'll definitely give it a watch.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013
It might just be me seeing things, but is that a cameo by Will Arnett and Tina Fey, in the picture at 1:17 into this trailer? They're the third and fourth from the left, respectively.

Accordion Man posted:

It's actually rather smart to divide each season into four books. I was thinking that they would end at every third book because each one sort of ends on a turning point for the series and/or has a big cliffhanger, but four still works like that. And then this way they can just do The End as like a finale movie or something.

The intention is to do five books for season 2, and then the final four books for the show's third season.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

Open Source Idiom posted:

It might just be me seeing things, but is that a cameo by Will Arnett and Tina Fey, in the picture at 1:17 into this trailer? They're the third and fourth from the left, respectively.

Definitely Will Arnett. Doesn't look like Tina Fey. A quick Google search seems to indicate it's Cobie Smulders.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

X-O posted:

Definitely Will Arnett. Doesn't look like Tina Fey. A quick Google search seems to indicate it's Cobie Smulders.

Ah. So presumably they'll be the Squalors. Not who I'd have picked. but I'm interested to see what they'll do with the pair.

Zaggitz
Jun 18, 2009

My urges are becoming...

UNCONTROLLABLE

Never read the books but the talent they have on board for this thing is kind of insane. Definitely looking forward to checking the show out on that basis alone.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I, Giorno Giovanna, have a dream!

I've been looking forward to this ever since they announced it... last year? Or was it late 2015?

I probably only started reading the books towards the end of their run, but I'm sure I enjoyed them as much as anyone else here. I love Snicket's narrative voice especially, and that's played a major influence on how I write.

also op I can't believe you missed the opportunity to do this

Regy Rusty posted:

Count Olaf (Neil Patrick Harris) is the new guardian assigned to care for the Baudelaires. He is a highly unpleasant man who assigns the Baudelaires all manner of difficult and tedious chores. However his true motives are mysterious, a word which here means "he wants their money and there is no scheme he will not attempt, no level to which he will not stoop to get his hands on it."

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

keen for this

i seem to have been invited to two binge parties and will probably attend both

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

fractalairduct posted:

I've been looking forward to this ever since they announced it... last year? Or was it late 2015?

I probably only started reading the books towards the end of their run, but I'm sure I enjoyed them as much as anyone else here. I love Snicket's narrative voice especially, and that's played a major influence on how I write.

also op I can't believe you missed the opportunity to do this

You're right that was an egregious error on my part. I'll rectify it immediately.

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I'm another poster whose childhood heavily included this series, and I'm very excited for this show. I loved the 2004 film as well, and just from the trailers it seems that this adaptation's not brushing it under the rug; the shot of Stephano jamming his knife into the door, Captain Sham's outfit, the designs of Olaf and Aunt Josephine's houses, Barry Sonnenfeld's involvement, not to mention how uncanny a dead ringer for Emily Browning Melina Weissman is.

On the casting for this show that we can see in the trailers: I'm very happy to see Rhys Darby as Charles, especially since he pops up again in the later books. I also think Aasif Mandvi and Alfre Woodard are smart casting for Uncle Monty and Aunt Josephine; beyond being two great actors, they destroy any pretense that they're actually the Baudelaires' relations. I think this fits well with the VFD plot being pushed into the earlier books' stories.

Ah. So presumably they'll be the Squalors. Not who I'd have picked. but I'm interested to see what they'll do with the pair.

Oh, I hope so. Esme Squalor was one of my favourite book characters.

Mameluke fucked around with this message at 17:51 on Jan 8, 2017

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I wish they went with my idea of doing a mini-season for each book (4-5 episodes depending on book length) and releasing them every few months (obviously this wouldn't work for TV logistics reasons). The problem the movie had was trying to cram multiple stories into a single product, and putting multiple books into a single season could easily come with the same pacing and narrative issues.

Tentatively excited. I do wish they'd stop casting relatively young comedians as Olaf though. I always pictured him older with more of a dry humour. Both Carrey and NPH have the over the top villainy and bad-disguise-haver elements down, but they both lack the faux-distinguished nature that comes with the whole 'Count' thing. I say this but I've never once been able to come up with someone that should play him.

stev fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Jan 8, 2017

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
I've been really looking forward to this as well. I loved the way the narrative unfurled in a way that was consistent with the idea that Lemony was following any leads he could find, although I won't elaborate due to spoilers. I also liked the twists in the jokes that were used, like in the first book he uses a big word and, in the "____, which is a word which here means ______" format, defines it. On the third time the joke appears he inverts it - he uses a fairly simple term then overcomplicates it with Jargon. An made up example of the inversion - "The Baudelaires were able to forsee the events about to unfurl, which is a phrase that here means Prognosticated."

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Steve2911 posted:

Tentatively excited. I do wish they'd stop casting relatively young comedians as Olaf though. I always pictured him older with more of a dry humour. Both Carrey and NPH have the over the top villainy and bad-disguise-haver elements down, but they both lack the faux-distinguished nature that comes with the whole 'Count' thing. I say this but I've never once been able to come up with someone that should play him.

Peter Cushing's been digitally resurrected once already this year, why not?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

https://twitter.com/netflix/status/818257241358774273

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been really looking forward to this as well. I loved the way the narrative unfurled in a way that was consistent with the idea that Lemony was following any leads he could find, although I won't elaborate due to spoilers. I also liked the twists in the jokes that were used, like in the first book he uses a big word and, in the "____, which is a word which here means ______" format, defines it. On the third time the joke appears he inverts it - he uses a fairly simple term then overcomplicates it with Jargon. An made up example of the inversion - "The Baudelaires were able to forsee the events about to unfurl, which is a phrase that here means Prognosticated."

the best ones are later on when he starts giving definitions that accurately describe the situation the Bauldelaires are in, but have nothing to do with the actual meaning of the word.

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
They should have kept Jude Law as Lemony to create the conceit that there's one true Lemony Snicket doing various retellings of the Baudelaires' story. Also, Patrick Warburton is cool but based on the Netflix trailers, Jude Law's sounds sadder, which is how I imagined Lemony to sound. Still excited though!

BioEnchanted posted:

I've been really looking forward to this as well. I loved the way the narrative unfurled in a way that was consistent with the idea that Lemony was following any leads he could find, although I won't elaborate due to spoilers.

I don't know if they can convey this in the show, but I loved how Lemony wrote as if he was getting into all sorts of sad adventures of his own on his quest to figure out what happened to the Baudelaires. For instance, in one book he just inserts a letter to Beatrice or something like that right into the middle of the narrative, saying that he knew if he hid it there, nobody else would ever see it because the story of the Baudelaires is just too sad for anyone to get through. Also wasn't there one time that he was writing while tied to a deathtrap of some sort?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
^ I believe Lemony Snicket would insist on having different actors play him in every adaptation of the medium, so as to confuse and frustrate his enemies.

OP did you get that first post from a place or did you write that yourself? If the latter, well done, that sounds exactly like a Snicket passage.

I'm pretty excited for this show, I loved the books. I kind of hope that the television run gives the story an actual ending though

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

8-Bit Scholar posted:

OP did you get that first post from a place or did you write that yourself? If the latter, well done, that sounds exactly like a Snicket passage.

I wrote it myself! I did my best to emulate the style from the backs of the books without stealing directly from them (though I couldn't resist using the coupons joke).

Fritz Coldcockin
Nov 7, 2005
They had me at "Neil Patrick Harris". He has a bizarre ability to completely run away with whatever show they put him in. Hell, he's the reason that the last couple of seasons of "How I Met Your Mother" were watchable.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

8-Bit Scholar posted:

I'm pretty excited for this show, I loved the books. I kind of hope that the television run gives the story an actual ending though

Woah woah woah. The books ended beautifully.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.

Argue posted:

They should have kept Jude Law as Lemony to create the conceit that there's one true Lemony Snicket doing various retellings of the Baudelaires' story. Also, Patrick Warburton is cool but based on the Netflix trailers, Jude Law's sounds sadder, which is how I imagined Lemony to sound. Still excited though!

I don't know if they can convey this in the show, but I loved how Lemony wrote as if he was getting into all sorts of sad adventures of his own on his quest to figure out what happened to the Baudelaires. For instance, in one book he just inserts a letter to Beatrice or something like that right into the middle of the narrative, saying that he knew if he hid it there, nobody else would ever see it because the story of the Baudelaires is just too sad for anyone to get through. Also wasn't there one time that he was writing while tied to a deathtrap of some sort?

I think my favourite parts wre when he'd get emotional and accidentally leak info about his adventures. Like if discussing important objects that are otherwise overlooked the examples would be a map of an unrelated area in an unusual place, a small shoe left at the scene of a robbery, or A sugar bowl, foolishly stolen from a fateful dinner party. I also loved that he refused to talk about himself due to him being without hope, so when the Baudelaires find something of him, like a photo in which he appears, he describes a sad, gaunt little writer, lurking at the back of the photo as it is irrelevant to him that he is that writer. It really sells the air of hopelessness.

A cool new trailer! https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wHgq9BgJ9L4. Love the mention of Various Frequent Disasters :3:

BioEnchanted fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Jan 9, 2017

teacup
Dec 20, 2006

= M I L K E R S =
I wasn't the right age to be interested in these books, and the movie bored me. But I loved Roald Dahl books when I was growing up and this gave me those kind of vibes. Am I destined to just hate this series or should I give it a shot?

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

teacup posted:

I wasn't the right age to be interested in these books, and the movie bored me. But I loved Roald Dahl books when I was growing up and this gave me those kind of vibes. Am I destined to just hate this series or should I give it a shot?

Only one way to find out. Try it.

Victorkm
Nov 25, 2001

I've been looking forward to this since I first saw the trailer posted on Facebook in November or so. I never finished reading the books, but I enjoyed what I got up to (The Ersatz Elevator I think)

landgrabber
Sep 13, 2015

Steve2911 posted:

I wish they went with my idea of doing a mini-season for each book (4-5 episodes depending on book length) and releasing them every few months (obviously this wouldn't work for TV logistics reasons). The problem the movie had was trying to cram multiple stories into a single product, and putting multiple books into a single season could easily come with the same pacing and narrative issues.

I seem to be the one person on Earth who actually thought Jim Carrey was a good Olaf. I thought the cruel-ly parading around loudly and menacingly thing fit that character really well. Especially with how condescending he is to people that don't realize it's him in disguise later in the books. I'unno.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

An aspect that I liked was that Olaf started out bad at disguises but by the second and third he had started getting better at covering his tracks. For example, Stefano has the eye tattoo visible as he didn't consider it, but Captain Sham has hidden it in a false peg-leg and Shirley onwards cover it with either high-topped shoes or stage makeup.

fractalairduct
Sep 26, 2015

I think the problem with Jim Carrey's Olaf, as well as the little we've seen so far of NPH, is that they try to make him funny. He has funny moments, sure, but he should come across as more terrifying than humorous.

achillesforever6
Apr 23, 2012

psst you wanna do a communism?

fractalairduct posted:

I think the problem with Jim Carrey's Olaf, as well as the little we've seen so far of NPH, is that they try to make him funny. He has funny moments, sure, but he should come across as more terrifying than humorous.
Which is why Tim Curry in his prime would be the perfect Olaf

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

fractalairduct posted:

I'm not sure I agree. I always found the character about as funny as he was threatening. Perhaps that's a consequence of the age at which I was reading the books. I was twelve or so, and the scariest thing in them, by far, was just how consistently unfair and untrusting every single other adult was. No matter how many times Klaus or Violet proved that they were right to Poe, or their Guardians showed themselves to be supportive and accommodating people, they'd just absolutely refuse to take the children or their warnings seriously. The complete, systemic failure of adults to accommodate for the children in their care, when those adults weren't actively villainous themselves, allowed them to be exploited and often killed by a man who couldn't have been more like an enormous cartoon rat come to life had he been drawn by Walt Disney himself.

So, in moments like Sunny's attack on Justice Strauss, or the kids attacking Hal are so conflicting -- those people are the real problem here, but they're also essentially good people who constantly show the capacity for change. But, at that moment of crisis, that's far too little, and it's far too late.

Mostly at this stage I prefer Jim Carrey, because I can't quite get over a blue eyed Olaf. The eyebrow ridges on the costuming don't look quite right either, but these are all -- literally -- cosmetic issues.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

I was twelve or so, and the scariest thing in them, by far, was just how consistently unfair and untrusting every single other adult was. No matter how many times Klaus or Violet proved that they were right to Poe, or their Guardians showed themselves to be supportive and accommodating people, they'd just absolutely refuse to take the children or their warnings seriously. The complete, systemic failure of adults to accommodate for the children in their care, when those adults weren't actively villainous themselves, allowed them to be exploited and often killed by a man who couldn't have been more like an enormous cartoon rat come to life had he been drawn by Walt Disney himself.

So, in moments like Sunny's attack on Justice Strauss, or the kids attacking Hal are so conflicting -- those people are the real problem here, but they're also essentially good people who constantly show the capacity for change. But, at that moment of crisis, that's far too little, and it's far too late.
This is why Trump happened.

Ohtsam
Feb 5, 2010

Not this shit again.
Look away!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0GeCPanRHU0

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

Neat (though silly).

I really hope they find a way to work this in somewhere:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB4G5hzDqeE

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

It's up!

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

achillesforever6 posted:

Which is why Tim Curry in his prime would be the perfect Olaf

He reads the audio-books for the series.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BSam
Nov 24, 2012

episode 1
holy poo poo that's not who they are at all!

• Locked thread