Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Our favourite game starring everyone's favourite green soldier.

Yoshi's Story is the 2nd game in the Yoshi series that sees players directly taking control of everyone's favourite green dinosaur. Released in 1998 for the Nintendo 64 , developed by Nintendo EAD and published by Nintendo.

The story of the game is, ironically, very simple. The island that the Yoshi's live on (a "Yoshi's Island", if you will) has been turned into a story book by Baby Bowser who has also stolen The Super Happy Tree, the source of all happiness on the island. Luckily some Yoshi's that were unhatched before their island was turned into a pop-up book are born into the world and are not effected by the appearance of their surroundings because this is all they have known since birth and it is likely going to be really weird for them when everything goes back to normal.

Yoshi's Story has always felt a bit like a sleeper hit or a cult classic or whatever you want to call a piece of media that didn't get the recognition you think it deserved at the time. It came out in the same year that saw the release of Banjo-Kazooie, Ocarina of Time and F-Zero X to name a few of the bigger titles that would accompany it on the system within the span of a few months. Though despite being released fairly early in the year it never seemed to garner much attention. Though it's predecessor, Yoshi's Island, is often talked about and almost revered by some, I don't often see its quite frankly ridiculously adorable follow up talked about very much, and have yet to see a long thinkpiece about the psychology of Yoshi's Story. Though admittedly I have yet to see a similar article about Yoshi's Island either but I'm sure it exists somewhere.

The absence of an incessant baby's cry, lovingly rendered by the Super FX Chip, every time you took damage was a welcome addition to this game, and the most recent addition to the series, Yoshi's Wooly World, feels more like it's paying homage to this game than Yoshi's Island which Nintendo have attempted to re-capture the magic of twice and neither attempt went very well in my opinion. Regardless of the highly subjective topic of what does or does not improve a game however, I'm not here to try and pit Yoshi's Island and Yoshi's Story against each other, honestly I love both games but I have a lot more familiarity with the latter and think it would be nice to shine the spotlight on one of the lesser talked about Yoshi games.

In summary: Nobody talks about this game and that's criminal because it's super fun and adorable, So me and my good buddy Gertrude Perkins are gonna make some videos together that you can watch. thank you.

Videos!
Yoshi's Story: Intro - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 1: Beginning Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 2: Beginning Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 3: Cavern Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 4: Cavern Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 5: Summit Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 6: Summit Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 7: Jungle Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 8: Jungle Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 9: Ocean Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 10: Ocean Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]
Yoshi's Story Part 11: Finale Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01 fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Apr 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

The Yoshi's have conquered their first hurdles and head underground in their continued search for The Super Happy Tree! It's dark and scary but Yoshi's are brave and strong and also my friend

also we find a Hidden Secret!

Yoshi's Story Part 3: Cavern Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

The Yoshi's head depper into the Cavern and finally make it out safely! Also we say the phrase Game Theory at least twice and are not even slightly sorry about it

Yoshi's Story Part 4: Cavern Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

The Yoshi's head into the clouds, now accompanied by a 7th extra Yoshi! Wow! We face off against a couple of bosses and make some jokes about Denim

Yoshi's Story Part 5: Summit Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

The Yoshi's make their way off the Summit! We do a poor job of remembering what any enemy in a Yoshi game is called and one of the bosses shouts his OKCupid profile at us.

Yoshi's Story Part 6: Summit Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

The Yoshi's venture into the Jungle where the music is strange and Big Bertha is now called: "Blurp"

Yoshi's Story Part 7: Jungle Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

We finish off the latter half of the Jungle which is full of flying Piranha Plants that chew you up and spit you out, Neurons, and a sudden realisation of why I disliked this world so much

Yoshi's Story Part 8: Jungle Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

We head to The Ocean and witness something incredible: Swimming levels from a late 90s platformer that aren't awful!

Yoshi's Story Part 9: Ocean Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

We finish off the last of the Ocean levels which strangely take place on dry land but there is a pirate ship so that makes it OK

Yoshi's Story Part 10: Ocean Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

This video shows that I have the capacity to be a Speed Runner but also that neither of us remember how many SNES games used Mode 7

Yoshi's Story Part 11: Finale Levels 1 & 2 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dex01
Apr 9, 2012

Update!

And so our journey comes to a close as we take on Baby Bowser and bring peace to all Yoshi's but not before Gertrude unleashes the Pun Eggstravaganza

Yoshi's Story Part 12: Finale Levels 3 & 4 - [YouTube]/[Polsy]

• Locked thread