Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.
I'm in.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Does anyone else hate toads? They're like frogs which are pretty cool and kind of cute, but ugly and gross instead.

At least toads are less slimy than frogs. As long as we aren't talking about toad the status effect. I have nightmares about that status effect and the fact that you have to buy bottled kisses to cure it.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

BottleKnight posted:

i feel like this moat/tobbs/stickup shitposting triad has formed without me even noticing

i must create a shitposting triad of my own with which to do battle

i'm openly recruiting, please post a freeform application itt if you are interested

we will call ourselves the wildcats

Or "The Mongooses." That's a cool team name. The Fighting Mongooses!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I spent all of yesterday as the next best thing to dead, and now I have to pull myself together for work. I did one quick read through, I'll do another when I get a break and post actual thoughts then.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I got caught up during the night, and was ready to come in swinging (or at least flailing a little...) but four deaths is making things that much harder to process. Plus D1 was already absurdly dense for being D1. New read occurring now, which will unlock all the secrets of the universe.

(secret of the universe is actually here, under the spoiler: CPig enjoys our suffering)

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I'm having trouble finding a place to dig into this game and make any real solid reads. Semi-stream of conscious reactions as I go through it yet again.

I don't like BK's D1. Even with his 3P claim, it feels like he tried to drag joke phase out longer than anyway, and made weird forays out of it just to later retreat.

BottleKnight posted:

awkward post

next response:

The awkward came across to me as actually trying to make a point, after which BK retreats to jokes for most of the rest of the day.

Getting to the Asiina/KB bits, I can see why things got so heated. Asiina was apparently (we know now) coming from a town viewpoint, but doing a very poor job explaining her point.

Combining "I expect much more out of town KB" with posts like

Asiina posted:

Which part? That there's barely been any content and 150 posts took like 15 minutes to read or that I would have voted for B?
really introduces a disconnect in thought.

BottleKnight posted:

Asiina, Sara, welcome to the wildcats

I'm gonna fite you with my fists scum ##vote trashuno

Joke phase is pretty much over, and here BK is, going strong. Also Kash. I haven't seen Kash try at all so far.

Hold for part 2!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Skipping past most of the rest of the KB/Asiina fight. Asiina looked scummier in that fight to me, and we've already seen her flip, so it's a null read to me.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Is Asiina being stubborn or scummy?

Like, KB is asking her to back up her claims with literally anything at all, and she refuses.

Like, if Asiina is actually scum I can see her going after KB because he is a strong town player.

Like, if it were me I'd say "That was my perception at the time, but KB is clearly putting effort/thought into this exchange and asking for opinions, which is in line with his normal town play."

This comes off odd to me. I've seen the scum cases where you try and pick off a town player with logic, but it's generally not the "strong" town players you would do that to. You pick someone playing erratically, or having an off day, and make that into a scum tell.

But popping into a back and forth like this and trying to make one side look even worse, without making any real hard alignment calls? That is scummy.

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

I have an irrational aversion to people calling things "town slapfights"

I had a town slapfight with Max in ferngully mafia and he won as scum in LYLO.

Yes it was traumatizing. As an aside Asiina is posting and posty Asiina is usually not scum Asiina.

Here Tobbs backs off more. Although he does stay consistent and focus on stick for the rest of the day.

jon joe posted:

Okay let me break this down for you, then.

You see this post you quoted?

Your argument is, "Stick-up all over the place and cares only about how he's perceived."

My argument is, "It's a joke post"

This went on for much much too long. I'm not even sure why.

AnonymousNarcotics posted:

Nextly, I wish people would like... converse about the choices before locking them in. I'm worried if we choose A that we'll get attacked and hurt before getting a chance to respond. I'm thinking B or C might be better. Of course we all know D is the real answer here, but it probably won't help us any in game.

Here, I want to say that last game, CPig did whatever the hell he wanted with the events, to the point where trying to extrapolate or discuss them was fruitless busywork. (Equipment being stored in the kitchen, for example). It's not impossible we might be able to figure something out in this game, but I don't think it's tell/problem to just lock in votes.

Time travel to present:

Absurd Revolver posted:

lot to unpack here

probably put together a solid effort case in the morning, but i for one did not pick up a job on day 1

also lol i can't believe i survived that massacre

Why? Why would you not pick a job? They level just by you having one. This is like choosing to be VT over a power role just because. I really don't like this. I was lurker Mclurky and I picked a job!

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

peramene posted:

I dunno guys, option D seems pretty hot. Like, I don't know about ya'll but...

On second thought, let's come to a consensus about exactly how much cpig is loving with us (always assume maximum X) and punishing us for using the walkthrough (you fools) and then decide together rather than empty voting?

Cpig is loving with us exactly one and a half times as much as the person with the second highest expectation. This leads to a very large and meaningless number.

This is why D is very tempting to me. But with four A's already locked in, that's a pretty likely winner.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

KB: I am a protective role, and I think optimal play is to tell everyone that.

First off, even if you're telling the truth, being a protective role doesn't make you town. Why? Because potentially every player can have a night kill. If scum doesn't have a doctor then they could be in trouble.

You know how this post reads to me?

"I'm a scum player who doesn't want to be targeted by a town vig, so I'm going to claim a protective role."

Does anyone else think a town protective role would never, ever do this?

I agree here. Having a protective ability in no way means town in this game. And revealing that a role provides protection doesn't mean anything either. Scum know that already, and town can probably guess it (when a job says "White Mage" it isn't hard to draw conclusions).

Claiming that a job provides a protective ability as a an attempt to garner town cred is a weak, shifty play in this game.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kashuno posted:

is anyone else level 3 because I didn't receive a PM saying that

I had to ask CPig, and he confirmed it. If you class changed D1 and used your class ability N1, you're skill level 3 now.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

If you do I would suggest not claiming it lol, it will look bad. Just say x number of kills must have been blocked N2 and you withheld your night action.

Promoting lies? I do not like this tobbs.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

You are missing that we're talking snarkily about him murdering me.

(I hope it's snarky don't kill me)

I misread a quote and thought he was threatening to off someone else, and you were telling him to lie about that. My mistake.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

this is a stickup posted:

don't worry tobbs you're safe from me tonight

I don't like stickups little deflections, and constant focus on tobbs without pulling the trigger.

That said, I think we have better choices today.

Tobbs I was reading as quite scummy until this post:

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

Of yesterday's lynch candidates I am leaning more towards Moat (ILU MOTE) being scum. I was really, really hoping that the vote would swing back towards him, but that didn't happen.

In fact, KB tossed out the vote putting IS two votes ahead of Moat (instead of tying them). I know, making alignment calls on unflipped players is atrocious, but KB's vote stood out to me for a couple reasons.

So, what did Asiina say about claiming?

She was for it, and KB was agreeing with her. Now, we know that Asiina was town, but I think her view on claiming is either misguided, or she really, really didn't like whatever the Red Mage did and that was coloring her opinion.

However, KB keeps up with the suggestion that we claim, as he decided to claim protective role D2, possibly to start a chain of claims?

Moat is also very pro-claiming. I don't like it. It stinks. I feel like KB and Moat should know better, and while KB is trying to be subtle and Moat is being bold, the end result is that these guys want all the info out there so that scum can target town effectively.

I would be comfortable voting KB or Moat today, though I'd like to hear their responses first. KB mentioned he'd only be able to post in the evenings for the next 3 days, and I imagine Moat will respond eventually.

I do think as town we need to share information (not necessarily mass claim, but share something), especially since the ability to use the abilities of previous jobs means you can reveal some abilities without revealing your full suite of powers. And since we can change each day, and it seems like level 1 powers are fairly strong to begin with...

However, starting with this post Tobbs starts making a coherent case (if an overly bold one). I think Tobbs has picked the wrong hill to die on, but he's done it as town.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Kashuno has made two alignment calls:

Kashuno posted:

##vote asiina scum

Kashuno posted:

This is a scum post if I have ever seen one. Like..you're legit telling me DAY 2 after FOUR TOWN DIE we should mass claim? Christ it's so bad you have me agreeing with Tobbs.
(this is quoting Moat)

Two hours later:

Kashuno posted:

I think Moat is town because he is really not being careful with his words

Moat had two posts in the interim, and one was a stupid gif, the other was this

Moatillata posted:

Really my main issue is we have two people jump up and claim the kills

We have 2 unclaimed. This does not sit well with me. I explained this after I was trying to get everyone's opinion on claiming

I am seeing your KB idea but really you're barking up the wrong tree with me

I'm not sure how that one post switched Kash from a scum read to a town read. I don't see it. I like Kash as scum.

##vote Kashuno

I also looked over IS, and I read him as legitimately frustrated with the setup. If he stays disengaged through deadline, I'd be happy to revisit him.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I think A is the way to go too

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

A

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Tobbs Gnawed posted:

This case from KB is about the worst I've ever seen from him. Asiina is one of the people voting IS who was killed...by you. Yet instead of casing you for killing Asiina, he uses your kill as evidence that IS is scum. He also throws Gulag in there as someone willing to lynch IS to avoid a no-lynch? The other bit of evidence from his case is that stickup killed Inf, but again, he's voting me, not stickup (despite agreeing with me that stickup's kill is odd).

This is scum KB. He's voting me because I've called him out on his scummy behavior, not because he thinks I'm scum. He apparently feels that IS, Kash, and stickup are scum due to flips and claimed night kills, and he's casing IS based on stickup/Kash's alignments.

This is a very good case, independent of the massive mass claim or don't argument. I would vote KB today.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

this is a stickup posted:

here is an important question for the town

how hard should I make a margarita right now

if you are scum, do NOT answer

How hard are margaritas normally?

My usual mixed drink strategy is as much alcohol as mixer, but I'm a large man

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Game related note, still not sold on town KB. Can't articulate it well, plus phone posting. We'll see between now and deadline.

Feeling a bit better about Kash. He's engaged more and shown his work. ##unvote

Basically feeling lost in general. This game is rough.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I'm hereish. I thought deadline was a little earlier and mistimed my break, so it'll be iffy.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

##vote Moatillata

Just in case I don't make it for deadline, at least I won't contribute to another no lynch

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

The chaos thing doesn't make any sense to me.

Pera, you claimed thief right? Is there anything about your role that lets you bypass things to steal?

I will out myself as having been a thief at one point to answer this question. The steal ability didn't say anything about bypassing/ignoring abilities or anything like that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I feel pretty safe revealing d1 jobs level 1 abilities, we have come far enough into the game that it leaves a comfortable number of possibilities for scum to have to guess at.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

I did not have an action take effect last night.

On thief talk, I was a thief n1 and tried to yoink from BK, who never reported a theft. I didn't think anything of it until it came up again today. I did recieve CP.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

peramene posted:

just for shiggles why'd you go thief, Mith?

Because it was the only agility wind job, I anticipated wanting to go magical later, and I figured we'd have a lot of black mages (and boy did we).

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Back to this real quick

did someone on D2 come in say they were roleblocked but still double leveled? I don't remember that but TBF I skimmed a lot of d2 from being on the road

Yes, people have claimed they failed their action, but it was still used up and they still got a skill level for it

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

chaoslord posted:

Do you happen to remember who did it d2? Want to go read their posts but on mobile and :effort:

I misremembered. Mr F claimed his action was RB, and he was stolen from, but didn't actually say he'd leveled.

Fun fact: Mr. F is playing in this game.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

B? I like B.

A and C I rate about the same.

D would be hilarious, but probably isn't the right answer. (on the other hand... CPig...).

I think B though.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Bifauxnen posted:

this whole game is just CPig trying to get us to pick D

You are so correct here I just had to reiterate.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

peramene posted:

Bif, if you're scum, you've played a hell of a game. ##vote jon joe.

I've gone back and forth on Bif, mentally, a few times. Lots of setup spec, but I remember the same from the last game, and too many of the questions seemed like actual questions, not like a scum asking questions they already knew they answer to (since excessive job knowledge would be a scum tell). I even was about 90% sure I saw a scum tell, but after thinking and rereading I decided it was just an awkward question. We haven't seen a lot of big casing, but we have seen plenty of alignment calls and solid opinions.

Bif is town. Jon Joe I could see as scum.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

B

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

jon joe posted:

Okay, I'm going to ask you to back this one up

Not ignoring you, I was headed out the door to work when you posted. Currently phone posting from a walk in fridge. Tonight when I get home I'll do a case.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

jon joe posted:

Okay, I'm going to ask you to back this one up

Why I think Jon Joe could be scum, because he asked:

Day 2:

jon joe posted:

This reads to me as fake outrage.

The "to be honest" is what sells it.

##vote IS

jon joe posted:

Would also vote Bif

jon joe posted:

vote people who make scummy posts imo

jon joe posted:

IS > Moat > Bif

This is it, this is his day 2, as far as content goes. We get two opinions (Is is scum because he said to be honest, bif is scum because reasons, and Moat worked his way into the middle of that list apparently as a holdout from d1). Also stickup isn't scum is in there, but it isn't a particularly quotable post, so I didn't copy it. There's no content to dig into, no reasons given. It's the simplest, bare bones of opinions, that gives nobody else anything to base an opinion on. We can disagree with his alignment calls, but with no reasons, we can't look for missteps in logic that allow one to scum hunt. This is how you give opinions while keeping secret knowledge secret.

Day 3:

jon joe posted:

IS and yourself

Who do you think is scum?
(Response to Bif) At least we have consistence of opinion

jon joe posted:

I am physically incapable of reading peramene's posts this game. Something about their very form prevents both lingering sight and comprehension.

This isn't a case, or a mafia post. This is just insulting someone. Ad hominem is a fallacy for a reason.

jon joe posted:

how does one human produce that much bullshit?

you want activity, you got it buddy boy

your case consists of a cart of constructed caca, literally unable to handle my supreme ownage of you

the so-called content you seem so proud to push is actually you just feeding into the rancid miasma of class chat that covers this fetid game

every time that becomes a focus pose of discussion, I die a little inside; it's not helpful and prevents any actual content

what isn't that, is just lazy lurker call-outs, the easiest scum position to hold

stop farting and making GBS threads in this game, bifauxnen

##vote Bif

stop farting and making GBS threads

Once you dig through the thesaurus, there's a real, valid point in here (Bif is scum because most of her content is setup spec, not casing). It's funny how he mentions lazy lurker call-outs as the easiest scum position to hold, seeing as caseless opinions are the second easiest scum position to hold (assuming we're ignoring actual lurking), which was his game up until this point.

Jon Joe isn't my number one scum pick, but he's on my watch list for sure.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

King Burgundy posted:

Who is your #1?

What do you think of Mr.F?

Mr. F is a straight lurker vote, and I would happily remove him from this game. He hasn't posted in three real days, and his last content of any sort was a response to gulag's only case from the day before.

I guess "not my first pick" isn't quite accurate. I don't have any scum picks that I would term as first, just a rough grouping. Up until chaos claimed he was high on my list. Up until you really engaged and we got past the argument with Tobbs I was feeling you were scum.

Right now I don't really believe BK's claim, and even if it's true, there's no reason to keep him alive, as he isn't participating anyway. An active claimed 3p is one thing, a lurking one is another.
Even allowing for the fact he just replaced in, Grandicap isn't wowing me. I think he could be using the "I'm a fresh sub" to vote ways in events he thinks would help himself aka the scum team
AR has very little case work, and while he has been sharing information, it's job information that presumably scum have.
Jon Joe I just cased.
And Mr. F! could be scum, how would we know? he might as well not exist

Those would be my strongest leanings, and many/most of them are from a lack of information, rather than an actual case. Stickup I really need to reread but haven't yet, same with IS and pera. Kash I have read and am neutral/slightly town on. Tobbs, Bif, and yourself are on my cautiously town list.

I am planning to dig into the thread tomorrow morning and do a good read through again, hopefully firm up one or two "This is a scum, get them" But I would vote any of the five on that short list with no qualms right now.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

peramene posted:

The first sentence here is true. Jon Joe said I was difficult to read, Bif said I was frustrating, I think Kash had an adhom too. On this point at least, Jon Joe is right, and I would like to ask Mithross to respond, not that it's enough to move my vote (tho this is a solid play JJ drat -- especially if both of you are scum) because it occurs to me that realizing the second thief never claimed and then claiming it (knowing they were dead now especially?) would be a great way to get me to empathize with you which is exactly what I did. I know that trick. Not necessarily convinced that's what you did, but let's talk about it because this is definitely at the very least an in for JJ to get at your credibility (or pretend to).

I never said he was using it to call you scum, just that it was a useless adhom attack, in the middle of a weak post history.

As for the second thief thing, the only death we've had since n1 was Moat, who claimed monk d1. And the n1 deaths had their current job, which also would have been their only job.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

peramene posted:

Solid - I actually had a (Moat??) in my first draft, then removed it, wondering if you'd point it out. Thanks Mith.

The first two sentences are also obviously true, but "useless adhom attacks" are just... I mean, how should I phrase this...

"Welcome to SA Mafia. Hope you like miasma! adhom attacks!"

Even if it is a filthy militarist ploy to demean the rightful authority of the people :helladid:

Well, I'd say there are useful adhom attacks in a game like mafia. Pissing off the scum until they slip is a thing, or pissing off town until it looks like they slipped. We just get... overenthusiastic with them sometimes, here at SA.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

jon joe posted:

C

Mithross is pretty clearly just flinging to see what sticks, while opening up the opportunity to vote me.

You asked me to case you.
You did.
I said I could see you as scum. Not you were scum. You wanted it expanded out into a case.
Now you say I made a case without presenting a concrete opinion.
Which I did.
Because you asked me.
I even said I would happily vote you.

This isn't me posting a lot of work with no conclusion out of the blue.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

jon joe posted:

??? I asked you to back it up. If you're town you have a reason for your opinion. Typically speaking, that reason isn't supposed to be cherry picked garbage if you aren't scum.

But this is the disconnect. You say I have bad reasons. Then you say I'm just hedging. So should I declare you are 100% scum for those "bad" reasons? Or should I declare you to be town because I haven't found enough evidence to be sure you are scum?

You want it to be both things at once. I'm hedging, and throwing things to see what sticks, and I don't have anything, and I should have drawn a concrete answer from all of that.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

##vote Mr. F!

Should be here for deadline, but if not this is a vote I'm OK with.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Thief 1 - Yoink, take 5 CP from another player
Thief 3 - 1-shot Nexus
Geomancer - one shot terrain (random effect as AR described, chance to backfire). Gain another shot at 3, as well as increasing the number of different random effects possible. Another shot and more possible effects at 5.

• Locked thread