Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xalidur
Jun 4, 2012

While it's a bit of a shame that my only true "blind" playthrough won't be on an appropriately challenging PotD, I still think focusing on bugs was the correct choice. I remember that the first game started out pretty great, but got Ridiculously Better as time and balance patches progressed (adding immunities was the most significant). I have over 400 hours in the first game on PotD, so there will be plenty of time for me to get my face smashed as mechanics are adjusted.

That being said... Since we have to wait for Real PotD... Maybe they can throw us blind-wanters a bone and add an option to randomize loot placement? Because that would remove the biggest advantage of experience.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorelab
Dec 26, 2006

ProfessorCirno posted:

Pillars having a weird reverse difficulty curve or frontloading the difficulty just makes it a D&D-based RPG, sorry, hth.

My personal preference for difficulty in Pillars 1 remains Hard. You still gotta pay at least some attention (at least until the end thanks to RPG difficulty curves), but you can get weird with your characters.

It's not even just D&D RPGs it just seems to be in general that a lot of RPGs have you gain more and more options for dealing with poo poo as you level so eventually you go from having only a few ways to fight back to having a tool for everything. I know SMT games in general tend toward being hard once you get past the very beginning then suddenly getting easier around the mid point just because you can fuse whatever.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Two Weapon Style works with Spiritshift right?

Roobanguy
May 31, 2011

I Want To Play The Game.

frajaq
Jan 30, 2009

#acolyte GM of 2014

Roobanguy posted:

I Want To Play The Game.

just be a streamer my dude :carol:

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

How do i switch to turn-based in the demo?

CFox
Nov 9, 2005
How big is the download size?

Raygereio
Nov 12, 2012

CFox posted:

How big is the download size?
Preload is 16.9 gigs.

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Are there any juicy plot spoilers in the preload? Hell I'll check it myself when it's done

Firstborn
Oct 14, 2012

i'm the heckin best
yeah
yeah
yeah
frig all the rest
I'm a fan of POE I and CR, so I'm psyched

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

frajaq posted:

just be a streamer my dude :carol:

All the time i've spent developing my e-celebrity, all for naught

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Played normal in the first game and it was a non-effort by halfway through in most cases, so I'll probably do whatever is between that and Path of the Damned for my first go and see how I handle it. Also want to try BW/Soul Blade Inquisitor as a front line DPS and I'm not sure how effective a mix that will be.

I'M STOKED

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer

ProfessorCirno posted:

Pillars having a weird reverse difficulty curve or frontloading the difficulty just makes it a D&D-based RPG, sorry, hth.

My personal preference for difficulty in Pillars 1 remains Hard. You still gotta pay at least some attention (at least until the end thanks to RPG difficulty curves), but you can get weird with your characters.

Hard is about the best difficulty, but it did get way too easy by the end to the point where I was often only bringing 4five guys along to keep the challenge up.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I hope we get to keep Concelhaut's skull if we held on to it from the first game, I loved that thing.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!

Firstborn posted:

I'm a fan of POE I and CR, so I'm psyched

I want to hear those VM voice packs so hard

also: my computer's pretty old. are the PoE2 graphic changes enough that that's going to be a problem? I'm assuming no because it['s more of the main system and there's no way it can be more intensive than the highest end game I run which is like FFXIV

2house2fly
Nov 14, 2012

You did a super job wrapping things up! And I'm not just saying that because I have to!
Apparently it runs about the same as the first game. My computer is pretty old as well so I'm biting my nails

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Min specs on Steam just say it needs directx 11 compatibility, so doesn't sound like it's taxing at all, just a matter of features.

Scorchy
Jul 15, 2006

Smug Statement: Elementary, my dear meatbag.
For what it's worth I run the POE2 beta at 20-25 fps on my surface pro laptop with onboard graphics and it's fine.

I think everyone will be pleasantly surprised by the load times this time.

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

Yeah when you look at the linux min specs instead of windows it says a 9600 GT can run it. And that's a card from 2008. You should be fine.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Are there still load times for small rooms? I run most stuff on a SSD so it's almost a non issue but still annoying especially in a city area

WhiskeyWhiskers
Oct 14, 2013

About 6 seconds of black screen each interior transition on the stream.

chaosapiant
Oct 10, 2012

White Line Fever

It’s still surprising to me how long the load times are in the first game even on an SSD.

Captain Scandinaiva
Mar 29, 2010

Looked at some of that stream posted earlier, game looking very good and polished. Tried to avoid the story but what I saw looked interesting.

I had forgotten how advanced stealth has become, I very rarely use that in these types of games but I might now since my first character to import is a rogue.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Yeah stealth was good for... Scouting... And... Uh... Trap detection in poe 1. Im glad theyre doing something with it.

The Crotch
Oct 16, 2012

by Nyc_Tattoo
It was good for talking to the Iron Flail guy without slaughtering his whole army.

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist

bongwizzard posted:

Smaller party size and ability lists are both really lame and only multiclassing saves things. Single class builds seem dull as gently caress right now.
I found multiclass characters more boring than single class builds in a lot of cases because you need to use the few ability points you get to cover at least two class resources, so you end up with very few abilities for both. My multiclassed Monks frequently had nothing but Swift Strikes to spend Mortification on. Single class Monks at least got to decide between upkeeping Swift Strikes forever or upkeeping it for most of the fight and using Stunning Blow at some point. I don't even want to know what a Chanter/Monk that has to cover Mortification, Wounds, Phrases and Invocations looks like.
But at least Druids and Priests had their blandness addressed in the beta, and Wizards were cool as well once more Grimoires got added. So there is hope at least.
Of course, any attempt to make non-casters not boring would be met by a crescendo of grognard screeching and wailing. So maybe it'll take mods.

Anyway, yeah, I often got bored of my parties over the course of the beta, which is mildly concerning considering it covers maybe 5% of the full game or something.
I'm still excited to finally get to play Deadfire, but it's more because the beta looked pretty and the writing was a lot better than in PoE1, and I think the writing in PoE1 was solid already.

Impermanent posted:

Has anyone had any experience making cipher multiclasses in the beta? None of the l8 or l9 cipher abilities seem like must-haves so I'm looking at trying to get my voodoo sharpshooter down with either beguiler/ranger (sharpshooter?) or beguiler / rogue (assassin?)
Not a lot but I did use a Beguiler/Rogue twice. It's unsurprisingly good,there's a lot of obvious synergy between the two classes.
Ciphers pair well with martial classes anyway since there are a lot of decent powers that only take half a second to cast, so they don't have to worry about interrupts. These powers do have 4 seconds base recovery, though, so you want to be in light armor if possible. A ranged character doesn't have to worry as much about interrupts, of course, which opens up power selection a little more.
You won't have a lot of powers to choose from in any given fight because you just don't get a lot of ability points to put into them.

I haven't played a Cipher/Ranger of any kind but it seems like very much the same thing, just worse because the animal companion does nothing for the Cipher half of the class combination.

Pwnstar
Dec 9, 2007

Who wants some waffles?

The Crotch posted:

It was good for talking to the Iron Flail guy without slaughtering his whole army.

Lmao if you don't blow open the gates with cannons, murder all his soldiers then march into his tent saying "I come in peace"

Oo Koo
Nov 19, 2012

Scorchy posted:

I guess, but most offensive invocations are 2.5m range, that's pike distance to me, not blunderbluss.

18 Int increases the range on those 2.5m invocations to pretty close to the blunderbusses 4m. And what kind of chanter doesn't max out Int?

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

I don't really like where rangers seem to be at now. Twinned arrow got nerfed hard, half of their abilities are devoted to making your pet not suck instead of just making pets not suck to begin with... Whirling strikes looks nice expect when I make a ranger I want them to be ranged. Think their high level ability should have been some kind of rain of arrows, not invisibility.

One niche I sort of see for them is ranged interrupts, maybe.

Tenacious J
Nov 20, 2002

I want to play PoE 1 now, but I can’t seem to enjoy RPGs with groups of characters. I searched and it sounds like it’s very possible to play through with a solo character. Any advice on builds, approaches, anything?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Tenacious J posted:

I want to play PoE 1 now, but I can’t seem to enjoy RPGs with groups of characters. I searched and it sounds like it’s very possible to play through with a solo character. Any advice on builds, approaches, anything?

Weeeeeell, 'very possible' is technically true, but

Play on story mode and you should be (mostly) fine.

(But actually play with a full party it's more fun there's banter and good times and you'll get pummeled less thoroughly.)

GrandpaPants
Feb 13, 2006

Free to roam the heavens in man's noble quest to investigate the weirdness of the universe!

Turning invisible is totally comparable to *checks notes* summoning a dragon.

Edit: Actual question, I backed the Fig campaign at the game + DLC level, should my Steam DLC list have like a Season Pass thing (it already has the Scavenger Hunt DLC) or is it too early? I also don't see the Captain's Footlocker.

Also aw man we could have had crew management, sea monsters and Ydwin as a full companion :(

GrandpaPants fucked around with this message at 10:22 on May 5, 2018

Lt. Danger
Dec 22, 2006

jolly good chaps we sure showed the hun

Gorelab posted:

It's not even just D&D RPGs it just seems to be in general that a lot of RPGs have you gain more and more options for dealing with poo poo as you level so eventually you go from having only a few ways to fight back to having a tool for everything. I know SMT games in general tend toward being hard once you get past the very beginning then suddenly getting easier around the mid point just because you can fuse whatever.

I'm gonna go even wider again and say the snowball effect is a general strategy game problem

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Given that PotD is apparently 'too easy' right now and won't be later, (in Deadfire) I feel like people like me who are kinda too lazy to do an immense amount of theorycrafting should probably get the solo triple crown run out of the way early.

With a chanter and his pet dragon.

Mashed Potato
Aug 29, 2008
The Assassin subclass gets a bonus on attacks made from stealth - does this apply to attacks made from invisibility (e.g. smoke veil, shadowing beyond) too?

Octo1
May 7, 2009

Mashed Potato posted:

The Assassin subclass gets a bonus on attacks made from stealth - does this apply to attacks made from invisibility (e.g. smoke veil, shadowing beyond) too?

Yes

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
What's the answer for what I want to play if I want to shoot people in Deadfire? Still Rogue?

Chairchucker
Nov 14, 2006

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Blockhouse posted:

What's the answer for what I want to play if I want to shoot people in Deadfire? Still Rogue?

Well I mean, there are rangers too.

stev
Jan 22, 2013

Please be excited.

PoE is one of those games that I really loved for a few hours then got horrifically burned out on and put it on the 'come back to it later' pile. Given how horrendously long it is, am I likely to gently caress myself story-wise if I don't go back and finish it before playing Deadfire?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wizard Styles
Aug 6, 2014

level 15 disillusionist
No, although I'm not sure why you'd even want to play Deadfire if you got burned out on the first one.

Avalerion posted:

I don't really like where rangers seem to be at now. Twinned arrow got nerfed hard, half of their abilities are devoted to making your pet not suck instead of just making pets not suck to begin with... Whirling strikes looks nice expect when I make a ranger I want them to be ranged. Think their high level ability should have been some kind of rain of arrows, not invisibility.

One niche I sort of see for them is ranged interrupts, maybe.
Rangers always did well for me in the beta at least, with the usual caveat that it's impossible to tell how much damage your animal companion is actually doing.
But yeah, the first two ability picks are Vicious and Resilient Companion. Ranger ability design has always felt pretty uninspired to me to be honest. They're all about the bond between Ranger and AC but the majority of their abilities affect only one of the two.

Also, Concussive Shot with a blunderbuss is nice for guaranteed interrupts even through multiple instances of Concentration.

• Locked thread