Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Boy, you gotta carry that weight
Carry that weight a long time

We Need to go Deeper is a 2-4 player cooperative submarine rogue-like set in a Verne-inspired undersea universe.

$9.99 $7.99 until Feb. 14th!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KweMxLcL414

Designed with human interaction in mind, We Need to Go Deeper was created under the mindset of having friends scream at each other.

Random levels, enemies, biomes, and expeditions. Utilizing roguelike elements, We Need to Go Deeper rests under the control of a reactive difficulty system we call the "AI Dungeon Master."

Repair leaks, load torpedos and route power to Shields, Lights, Weapons, and the Engine as you and your friends dash around the submarine on its voyage into the deep.

Leave the safety of your submarine to explore undersea caves, ruins, shipwrecks and more to find treasure, artifacts, and even underwater civilizations.

Choose from a variety of era-specific outfits from the 19th century to spruce up your adventurer! Non-gender-specific mustaches included.

From repair wrenches to guns, to fish-mincing meat cleavers, a variety of tools and weapons for helping your teammates is waiting to be discovered!

We Need to go Deeper is a simple, indie, rogue-like, ftl-like cooperative submarine simulator in early access. One player pilots the ship, one player mans the torpedoes. A third player can be a dedicated torpedo-reloader, and a fourth can micro-manage engineering and respond to leaks or boarders. This game plays very well with three or four players, and communication is key, so bring your friends and your voip software.

Can you beat our depth?

Or do you Need to go Deeper?

Frida Call Me fucked around with this message at 03:28 on Feb 13, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TacMan
Aug 8, 2002

Vert used Hyperbeam,
It's super effective!

:steam: El Mole :steam:
The trick is to go as fast as possible without heed to danger, and hopefully you can fix the inside of the ship fast enough. Game can become intense very quickly but is quite fun for groups.

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
Looks cool and co-op can make even mediocre games fun.

I Will Try This Video Game

YoungSexualNorton
Aug 8, 2004
These are good for the children's brains.
This is a fun game for $7. It is definitely rough in many areas but the core gameplay is fun if you have voice chat and people to play it with. I'll definitely put in enough time to justify the expense and it's cool to see more co-op indie games.

Best -
1 - trying to cooperate with multiple people to deal with all of the on-ship catastrophes. this is obviously meant to be the core of the game and it's got a lot more polish to it than some other parts.
2 - the roguelike lite approach - permadeath but with accumulating gold and unlocked items strikes a good balance
3 - aesthetic/flavor - the writing and art style are well done without being heavy handed. apart from the menus and transitions being clunky, which I'd expect in a beta, everything looks cool

Worst
1 - melee combat feels very floaty without much sense of impact, not much finesse to to the mechanics. Mainly walk backwards and attack until X is dead.
2 - caves having no time limit or anything else pushing you forward lets you play very carelessly and simply return back to the ship to rest up ad nauseum if you get injured.
3 - there seems to be no advantage to 2 or 3 player teams. It just makes the game harder. That's ok I guess but it'd be nice not to feel like the game is less accessible if you can't round up 3 other people.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

100% agreed with your best and worst - I was thinking they could expand the caves to include oxygen meters to limit your exploration, and maybe include some bosses in caves. They'd need to refine the combat system however to make a boss fight entertaining, something closer to Risk of Rain maybe?

It seems like with less than 4 people you get less thrown at you while exploring, but yeah with two people the game does become kinda a chore. Since there's no built in VOIP it's also very difficult to coordinate in a public game.

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Features

- Password protected lobbies! For lovers in need of a little more...privacy.

- Lobby chat! Because people in healthy relationships communicate.

Content

- The Rose Item: Show everyone how much your love is worth by sinking a fortune on this beautiful flower!

- New hats to showcase your romantic side: Romeo, Juliet, and Saint Valentine hats now available in the Catalog.

- An additional hat to show off your Goat side: Our Goat Lord has been rewarded for his hat suggestion. His followers will be most pleased.

- Lover's Tragedy Elixir: A new mysterious Elixir has found its way into the caves... drink it and be with your loved ones for all eternity.

Balance

- Increasing power to the cannon increases its rotation speed! Aiming with 3 power to weapons is 25% faster than aiming with 1 power to weapons.

- The AIDM is better at predicting the amount of rest time needed after an onslaught of enemies.

-The AIDM can now spawn enemies down on you if you sit too long with shields off mid-level.

-The gold multiplier which increases every time your water type changes is now capped at 4.

Stability

- Better error reporting and status reporting when creating and joining online games.

- Better error handling in crash-prone pieces of the game's internal restart.

Also a quick hotfix to solve some issues with LAN lobbies.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Shucks folks, I'm speechless. Hawf Hawf Hawf!
Whoa! Hey! I was just about to start a thread but didn't notice one got posted! Thanks for putting this up Frida Call Me!

A quick introduction - but uh, hi! I'm one of the developers for this game. Specifically I do all the art and contribute to design stuff and occasionally get in there and do some nitty gritty proc-gen code. I frequent SA on like a daily basis so it's super cool to see you guys beat me to the punch with this thread. Thanks for the kind words and feedback thus far! I plan on popping by here whenever I can to chat up about game stuff. Though if I can, can I request we change the name of this thread to something a little more descriptive? Maybe something like We Need to Go Deeper - 20,000 Leagues with Friends or something goofy? Funny thread titles are a time honored tradition after all.

Anyway, thanks again for putting up the thread! I'll be in and out to answer any questions anyone might have! Though I'll go ahead and nip this in the bud real quick and say that if you have a bug report you're best off reporting it on our Bug Forums here since it's more likely to be seen by one of our two programmers there: http://steamcommunity.com/app/307110/discussions/3/

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Hey, no problem! I noticed this game on steam spy, saw it was co-op, cheap and had great reviews and grabbed it on a whim. Kudos to you guys so far, I'm eager to see what additions you can make before release!

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Where do I look up how many people play the game?

damnfan
Jun 1, 2012
I've only played for 1.5hrs so far but my friends and I are having a blast just trying to coordinate everything. One thing I've noticed is in the game start where you choose your loadout, it would always say 'character name' for us instead of our character names.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Where do I look up how many people play the game?

Steam spy is traditionally a good place to find stats like this but on average we get maybe around 160-200 folks playing at once. It's nothing crazy but I haven't had much trouble finding a game with randoms myself. Obviously the hope is to keep raising that number over time of course :v:

Pablo Nergigante
Apr 16, 2002

That's what she said. Lmfao

Frida Call Me
Sep 28, 2001

Oh man, is that our crew with the depth record on the splash screen? It is! I feel so suave!

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Oh shoot haha yeah it is but that's because it's showing your local record- guess I should have known that putting it on the main menu would make people think it's the global record. Whoops! I'll make that clearer - though a global depth record ain't a bad idea!

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Today's a big day for us - our first content update released! :dance: Boy did getting this out in time nearly murder us but by golly here we are:

You can read the full deets here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/680446582231613922

But here's a summary of some of the big stuff in this update:

:siren:The Volcanic Depths Biome!:siren: - The hot, dangerous, and jungle-like Volcanic Depths are now here for your crew to explore! A variety of new dangers await in this new dark third layer - from Gigantic Armored Tortoises to Nefarious Sea Monkeys, to Gaseous Vents that litter the walls and the very water itself which will boil you alive if you let too much of it in your vessel. This new biome will show your crew the meaning of pain.

New Universal Enemies! - These are enemies that will catch you off guard no matter what biome you may be in, in order to keep some of the more experienced crews on their toes. From Ensaring Bubbles to Sneaky Hermit Crabs, players navigating any area should be at the ready.

The Rivet Gun! - An all-new tool has been added to the roster in the form of this state-of-the-art Rivet Gun: An Engineer's Best Friend! This bulky fella can repair leaks and dents from a distance, and a good one at that - though it's not advised for use in combat - the rivets it fires are known to mostly annoy enemies more than it harms them.

A Loop-Exclusive Enemy! - For those skilled enough to make it to the time portal, a nasty surprise awaits you and your crew in the form of a monstrous new enemy type!

New Customization Items! - A variety of new hats and costumes have been added to the game; many of which have been fan requests! Including a new hat type: Masks! From Tiki masks to Dramatic Theatre masks to technological marvels like the Gas Mask, now you can finally hide your shameful face from the world!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
But the most important thing is that this update gave me an excuse to draw a scary Sea Monkey:

Which is all I could ever want, really.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

This week we're experimenting with a new sub-set of smaller scale updates that we can push out more frequently between the big ones. This time around we're focusing on pumping up the way interior combat feels with better feedback and random Diablo 2 style mini-bosses, and we also made a new item - The Water Pump!

Check out the full deets here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/665811147993291100

Some folks have already started showcasing some of the funny scenarios coming out of the new mini-boss system - like this monstrously large Boar taking up the entire Navigation room:

or this giant monkey that apparently took four people to take down:

Of course these are just screens of the "giant" mini-boss variant, I've just yet to see folks capturing screens of the smaller speedy varieties.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
Can you now have five crew in a sub?

The water pump was something I thought should have been in the game when the thread got put up.

Can you cook gibs for health?

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Scalding Coffee posted:

Can you now have five crew in a sub?

The water pump was something I thought should have been in the game when the thread got put up.

Can you cook gibs for health?

Right now there's actually a BUG that allows 5 players in a crew (if multiple people join at once, somehow it gets through Unity's default systems for limiting player numbers) that we're currently working on fixing so technically yes though 5 player sessions are horribly overpowered at the moment since the game wasn't designed for it.

And indeed, the water pump has been an often requested item since day one, but hey - it's finally here! Works pretty wonderfully too!

As far as gibs go, while you can't "cook" gibs, the Butcher Knife item does allow you to slice up edible gibs from enemies for health, so we do indeed have one way or another to make yourself up some sushi.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

New Update Ahoy! We're running almost a full week late getting this one out due to the major restructuring that came with putting a new submarine in our game, but alas, it is here! :v:

Full deets available here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/665812545839183248

Update Summary:

A New Submarine: The Requin! - The militaristic Requin is here, and offers a new larger sprawling layout better suited for 4-man crews, and is armed with two cannons at the expense of shielding capabilities!

Refurbished Biome: The Cursed Waters! - The haunted shallows of The Cursed Waters biome has gotten a complete visual and mechanical overhaul, with new environment art and new enemies inspired by Pirate lore such as the Voodoo magic driven shrines and abominations, cursed shipwrecks, and more, along with a TON of balance changes! This one in particular has been something I've been meaning to rework for aaaages and seeing streamers repeatedly get frustrated at the previous incarnation was what pushed me over the edge to finally get it done.

A few screengrabs of some of the new Cursed Waters stuff:

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!
Oh god this game looks adorable and fun. Bookmarked the thread, a little too broke to grab it right now but this seems like exactly the sort of thing I would pull people together to do some videos for my YouTube channel for.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Oh god this game looks adorable and fun. Bookmarked the thread, a little too broke to grab it right now but this seems like exactly the sort of thing I would pull people together to do some videos for my YouTube channel for.

Thank you! Indeed I understand the money dealie; let me know what you and friends think of it if you ever get a chance to pick it up!

Meanwhile, as a heads up, our month update for May is looking... unfortunately less exciting than some of our other updates. Between finally forcing ourselves to get around to a multitude of bugs and all of our college semesters coming to a close which has given most of us little time for development, it's definitely gonna be on the more technical side than others. There's one cool feature I'm hoping we can get in in time though if we can swing it. I just gotta recover from a surprisingly gnarly root canal this week after some commission work to get the art done for it. :suicide:

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Hey! So May's update came and went but I decided to wait until our next mini-update before posting it here since I don't want to be double/triple posting all the time, but since it is relevant to the thread here's a little May Update Catchup. As of today we have released two updates largely focused on variety and balance:

http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/1308704057369113576

Our content update notably added Relics, a new type of rare cave drop that introduces our first bit of story content via these little snippets of collectable lore. It also introduced the much-requested Leaderboards and fixed a crap ton of stuff.

http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/1272676528363829179

Our most recent smaller-scale update focused on overhauling some long-standing balance issues regarding roles and progression. Long gone is the full time "Torpedo Loader" position, and in its place a more involved Power Management role, with the introduction of new power mechanics such as the EMP. Also character upgrades in the form of elixirs!

The latter update is the big scary one since it involved stripping out and reworking the core Weapon Console mechanics, so far which has been receiving mixed feelings from players. I'm hoping it's a step in the right direction though, so if y'all get the chance to do a run or two this week, please do let me know what ya think of these new changes!

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Owwwwwwns

Waffle House
Oct 27, 2004

You follow the path
fitting into an infinite pattern.

Yours to manipulate, to destroy and rebuild.

Now, in the quantum moment
before the closure
when all become one.

One moment left.
One point of space and time.

I know who you are.

You are Destiny.

Gonna subscribe to this thread for next payday. 3-4 is the usual number of pickup players I can find for any one game at a time, and this looks just the kind of frantic party game I need.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Update day is here once again!

This time around, the focus is on Items. We've had the same batch of items for a couple months now, so it was high time we sprinkle in as many as we could to get the game-to-game variety and potential strategies up. As you can see in the image there we've got a new wrench type, an electrifying Tesla Gun, explosive room-clearing dynamite, and three others which aren't seen here, but my favorite of which is the Syringe:

Which was added somewhat on a whim (literally implemented in full a day before the update) after the concept made us laugh. But basically it's a healing/combat hybrid item that does decent damage to enemies, heals players, but has a very small chance of harming them.

Additionally there's a whole bunch of other cool stuff like new sub upgrades, responsive cave AI that spawns supplies based on need, and lots of tweaks and fixes.

Full update can be read here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/1335728569290614353

ijzer
Apr 12, 2013

it's friday i'm in love with ice cream

Coolguye posted:

if this is a thing you're still interested, i would definitely be willing to buy a couple copies to make it happen. just shoot me a pm.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Thanks to ijzer, I just spent a few good hours with this game. A couple initial observations:

1) I adore the way the co-op is handled in this game. Pilot, gunner, and engineer all have critical roles and they all need to be on their toes as the game heats up.
2) The music owns.
3) The combat is also cool in terms of figuring out the best way to dismantle enemies with the tools you have on hand.

A couple suggested improvements:

1) Sounds, especially on the ship, should be more stereo than they actually are. Engineers need to prioritize breaches in the pilot and gunnery sections to keep the ship moving, and right now it can be super difficult to tell where they need to be.
2) Voice really needs to be in the game natively. Typing simply isn't sufficient after you get beyond about 2000 fathoms. I imagine that's on the roadmap but that would be huge for me.
3) The guns currently reward people who have a turbo-press script like crazy. I realize this might be intended but a bit of familiarity with Auto Hotkey is currently insanely overpowered.

All in all, huge props, Bert in The Forest! This game is insanely fun.

Scalding Coffee
Jun 26, 2006

You're already dead
I am guessing you won a Friday the 13th giveaway?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

no but i did get to 20k fathoms:

i needed to take my dog to the dog park and the rest of the crew was fatiguing out so you see us in the middle of our 'gently caress 'em let 'em come' final moments

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Coolguye posted:

Thanks to ijzer, I just spent a few good hours with this game. A couple initial observations:

1) I adore the way the co-op is handled in this game. Pilot, gunner, and engineer all have critical roles and they all need to be on their toes as the game heats up.
2) The music owns.
3) The combat is also cool in terms of figuring out the best way to dismantle enemies with the tools you have on hand.

A couple suggested improvements:

1) Sounds, especially on the ship, should be more stereo than they actually are. Engineers need to prioritize breaches in the pilot and gunnery sections to keep the ship moving, and right now it can be super difficult to tell where they need to be.
2) Voice really needs to be in the game natively. Typing simply isn't sufficient after you get beyond about 2000 fathoms. I imagine that's on the roadmap but that would be huge for me.
3) The guns currently reward people who have a turbo-press script like crazy. I realize this might be intended but a bit of familiarity with Auto Hotkey is currently insanely overpowered.

All in all, huge props, Bert in The Forest! This game is insanely fun.

Hey thanks Coolguye! I appreciate the kind words! :v:

Good point about the stereo stuff! It can definitely be weird finding breaks. I know we've run into some funky hard-set limitations on some level of this stuff, though we simply haven't looked into it further yet so it's something we'll try and keep in mind.

As far as native voice support goes, that's by far and away one of the most out-of-our-league tasks at hand, so we are looking into potential third party solutions that may be able to integrate with the game by default or something (Discord working with developers more, being our best option at the moment). Unfortunately with a team this small, voice support that actually works and doesn't sound like hot garbage is simply far out of our abilities, though I agree that having SOME kind of easier native way to communicate other than typing will be a huge boon going forward.

Good to know about the turbo-press stuff! I'll be honest, but I never even knew that was a thing before you mentioned it. That most certainly sounds like something that would totally break the balance on our gun system so we'll look into fire rate limits for pressing as well as holding.

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Yeah, after further experimentation it seems like the gun scripting only works for people who aren't host. The fire limiter works great for the host. This actually makes complete sense with the Unity stuff you guys are dealing with. The life cycle, I imagine, looks like this:

1) Host sends a fire command.
2) Game acknowledges, host fires.
3) Cooldown is logged
4) Extra presses are stopped

1) Client sends a fire command.
2) Host acknowledges, and fires.
3) Client sends ANOTHER fire command before the cooldown is logged properly
4) Game acknowledges, host fires.

This sort of race condition is also allowing people to dupe torpedoes by fanning the hammer on E instead of Space right now. They both seem like Unity-isms. I'll do a little research on the matter if I have time to see if there's a best practice around or something. I can intimately sympathize with working with a small dev team; the company I own's been slowly putting together a huge feature set over the last two years for our product, but with only two real devs things go slow.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Thanks for the extra info CoolGuye! We're still looking into it but in the meantime..

We Need To Go Deeper is on sale for 35% off! Woo momma! This is our first sale since launch so have at these sweet savings you heathens.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/307110/We_Need_To_Go_Deeper/

To go with it, we also have a new Crate Update that adds Brigs, Cloud Saving and Rebindable keys, and we've kicked off our Aztec Mummy-themed Summer Event!

Full update deets here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/2072067834407105271

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
hey bert of the forest, someone in one of the discords i hang out in was playing your game and i mentioned i know you so he brought up this bug:

"Hm the update yesterday, it made the number of caves in the first level basically zero. For the new submarine The Requin? Sometimes the torpedo and the bed on the right do not work at all. There is also this bug that makes certain rooms hurt you for no reason"

kloa
Feb 14, 2007

I don't have any friends. Can I play this alone?

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

not effectively. but the cats they have in their discord are super friendly so it's not hard to get into a crew with people.

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

The White Dragon posted:

hey bert of the forest, someone in one of the discords i hang out in was playing your game and i mentioned i know you so he brought up this bug:

"Hm the update yesterday, it made the number of caves in the first level basically zero. For the new submarine The Requin? Sometimes the torpedo and the bed on the right do not work at all. There is also this bug that makes certain rooms hurt you for no reason"

Hey thanks for forwarding that along! Sorry about the belated response; anyway - looks like a few of the things he mentioned have been patched, though the rooms hurting you thing is quite new to me! I'll forward that along to the rest of the team and see if anyone has any ideas for what that might be about. Thanks man!

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Aaaand another month, another new Content Update:

This one turned into a huge mess logistically but we managed to wrangle it together to release it only a day late this time. :v:

Some new notable features include our new smaller sub The Perle, designed to be suitable for 2-person voyages, a new balance feature in the form of Fuel, which is required for engines and EMP's to function at max capacity, and a bunch of other cool random features like place-able Batteries for Power Consoles and Native Voice Chat!! Which I know CoolGuye was achin' for, so here it be!

Full update log/feature list can be found here: http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/1438188152909674283

Tamayachi
Sep 25, 2007

Did you think about it?

Yes. Yes you did.
Just picked up the game, now I need some friends to play this with.

http://steamcommunity.com/id/Oldstoneface/

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

oh drat son that looks awesome! i gotta get in the discord tomorrow night.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bert of the Forest
Apr 27, 2013

Oh poo poo! I drat near forgot to update the thread on the new update. Well shyiiiiiiiit. Let's fix that eh?

Full Changelog: http://steamcommunity.com/games/307110/announcements/detail/1452827317619015121

This month we focused quite a bit improving our proc-gen features. Better cave generation algorithms, sub-biomes, better resource spawns, new egg-hatching enemy types, etc. Lots of content milking in general. I'll admit it's not our sexiest update, but by golly was it one of the most effective/important ones. We also revamped the Fuel system AGAIN to try and balance out the way people use and think about the new resource that I'm sure y'all will agree is an improvement over the last iteration of the concept.

Meanwhile I'm gonna be getting married this week so my time to work on our next update is severely limited, though I can say that the rest of the team is workin' double-time whipping up some real sweet poo poo for our next update!

As always let me know what y'all think of the changes!

• Locked thread