Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Oh, whoa! Check out the Viewing Globe, shorty!

Who's the kid with the spiky hair?

Oh? Well, his name is Shobu, but this game is not about him! As near I can tell, Duel Masters for the PS2 plays like the real life TCG. You are of course intentionally limited in your selection of cards, for the sake of the game design, but aside from that. And there's also a really weird story with “anime” cutscenes made in delicious 2000s Adobe Flash, but aside from that.

How's the let's play gonna go down?

The game requires us to play through all five campaigns to get the true ending, and well, the true ending is kinda the only ending... so we're gonna be spending a long time playing loving Duel Masters, here. On the bright side, I will not painfully commentate the minutiae of every single duel. Thanks to the magic of editing, each duel will be more like an overview of the opponent in question and the strategies I employed to defeat them. This way, none of us will want to die.

Videos

GamesAreSupernice fucked around with this message at 17:33 on Aug 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014
I actually have this game and was into Duel Masters when it was alive in the US, I even supported the reboot Kaijudo: Rise of the Duel Masters.

By the way this game is not US exclusive, it was actually released in Japan as well.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 05:42 on Feb 21, 2017

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Holy poo poo I thought you made that chapter card in MSpaint but no it's really like that :suspense:

Monk E
May 19, 2009
This games cut-scenes seem like exactly the sort of thing the english dub of the anime existed to mock too bad the writers from that didn't get their hands on this too.

Yapping Eevee
Nov 12, 2011

STAND TOGETHER.
FIGHT WITH HONOR.
RESTORE BALANCE.

Eevees play for free.
Oh boy, this is the Duel Masters game I played. Pretty sure I finished it too, despite having basically no exposure to the series beyond this.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!
Oh just recently got this game again. This ought to be good.

Benach
Aug 15, 2013
Did...did the tutorial text loving drop "Kohai" there, multiple times? Didn't you say it was NA only? It uses "Rusty" too, is there something I'm missing??

Never having paid much attention to the card game, glad to see I don't need to care.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

By the way this game is not US exclusive, it was actually released in Japan as well.

Are you sure it's not a separate game with the same name? I know there are two games just called Duel Masters, but this one was developed by an American studio.

SSNeoman posted:

Holy poo poo I thought you made that chapter card in MSpaint but no it's really like that :suspense:

I'm flattered that you think I can draw a Newgrounds.

Monk E posted:

This games cut-scenes seem like exactly the sort of thing the english dub of the anime existed to mock too bad the writers from that didn't get their hands on this too.

Yeah this isn't even remotely as self aware.

mateo360 posted:

Oh just recently got this game again. This ought to be good.

Did you lose it somewhere?

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

GamesAreSupernice posted:

Are you sure it's not a separate game with the same name? I know there are two games just called Duel Masters, but this one was developed by an American studio.

Actually, this game's official name is Duel Masters: Cobalt. And while several DM games were released internationally, none of them were exclusive to the west.

Don't assume that a game is US exclusive just because it was developed by an American studio.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Actually, this game's official name is Duel Masters: Cobalt. And while several DM games were released internationally, none of them were exclusive to the west.

Don't assume that a game is US exclusive just because it was developed by an American studio.

"Japan had separate release with no differences except for their packaging."

Ah, that's probably why I got confused! And that's a fair point.

AmewTheFox
Oct 7, 2015

I AM THE STRENGTH
Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Duel Masters (the actual TCG) shut down by WotC because it was too similar to Magic? Or am I thinking of something else?

Though, it is interesting to see that something had the "goal attacking" type of life before Vanguard/Battle Spirits did it.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

AmewTheFox posted:

Correct me if I'm wrong, but wasn't Duel Masters (the actual TCG) shut down by WotC because it was too similar to Magic? Or am I thinking of something else?

Though, it is interesting to see that something had the "goal attacking" type of life before Vanguard/Battle Spirits did it.

Considering Wizards of the Coast helped develop it, I don't think this is the one you're thinking of. I could be wrong though.

Warmal
Aug 12, 2011

I really enjoyed this card game. This game looks like something though. Whether it's something good or not is yet to be seen. I still have my old decks kicking around somewhere. Built a pretty decent Blue/Green deck. The anime always stood out to me because of the use of CG, which is clearly where all it's budget went. Also because the voice actor for Shobu was Tai from digimon.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

The "animation" in this game reminds me of this lovely Canadian not-anime cartoon I was forced to watch once.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NG3cbghjYPY

Yapping Eevee posted:

Oh boy, this is the Duel Masters game I played. Pretty sure I finished it too, despite having basically no exposure to the series beyond this.

At the very least you should have this exposure to it, as well.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hv44gh2OnxM

Duel Masters (Englush dub of season 1) is pretty great, at times.

mateo360
Mar 20, 2012

TOO MANY PEOPLE MERLOCK!
ONLY ONE DIJON!

Did you lose it somewhere?

No I sold it to gamestop some time after I beat it.

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Benach posted:

Did...did the tutorial text loving drop "Kohai" there, multiple times? Didn't you say it was NA only? It uses "Rusty" too, is there something I'm missing??

Never having paid much attention to the card game, glad to see I don't need to care.

The dub, to make the series more interesting I guess, kept several Japanese terms and made them actual game terms. Characters would constantly shout "IKE!" while attacking and "TODOMEDA!" as the final attack, for example. And you know, following Kaijudo (the way of the monsters), which I'm pretty sure was outright invented for the dub.

Also this game looks awful, holy poo poo. Not only the cutscenes, the interface is horrendous. Old YGO games looked better than this. It couldn't be that hard to make an interface that wasn't this ugly.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
I didn't realize when I asked for this what I was getting into. These animations are something else!

Genocyber posted:

Duel Masters (Englush dub of season 1) is pretty great, at times.
Season 2 has some pretty great moments too.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Warmal posted:

I really enjoyed this card game. This game looks like something though. Whether it's something good or not is yet to be seen.

It gets really repetitive but, I mean, it is just dueling non-stop. All things considered they tried pretty hard.

Genocyber posted:

The "animation" in this game reminds me of this lovely Canadian not-anime cartoon I was forced to watch once.

I'd like to give Duel Masters: Cobalt credit for not airing on TV.

Blaze Dragon posted:

Also this game looks awful, holy poo poo. Not only the cutscenes, the interface is horrendous. Old YGO games looked better than this. It couldn't be that hard to make an interface that wasn't this ugly.

It is pretty overwhelming at first, but after playing the tutorial enough times you get used to it.

Shoeless posted:

I didn't realize when I asked for this what I was getting into. These animations are something else!

Most of the game is done with in-engine graphics -which you haven't even seen yet- and those are a a little better.

Leal
Oct 2, 2009
Hey man good try with the animation, its nice seeing someone who just goes for it rather then sitting on their dreams wondering "What could of been"

Wait, that wasn't you? That was officially made for the game? Oh dear...

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Leal posted:

Wait, that wasn't you? That was officially made for the game? Oh dear...

It's kind of great how many people are surprised by the game's production values.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

It's kind of great how many people are surprised by the game's production values.

Or lack thereof.

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010
Sweet, it's this game! Let it be known that all the DM games Atari made were good for one thing only: the gameplay. The graphics in this and the GBA games had like zero effort put into them. But it worked as a TCG simulation at least? They'd be way outdated though, DM is still going over in Japan.

WOTC tried to reboot this card game, but they made it a hundred times worse so it didn't last a season.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

Sweet, it's this game! Let it be known that all the DM games Atari made were good for one thing only: the gameplay. The graphics in this and the GBA games had like zero effort put into them. But it worked as a TCG simulation at least? They'd be way outdated though, DM is still going over in Japan.

WOTC tried to reboot this card game, but they made it a hundred times worse so it didn't last a season.

Actually it lasted two seasons and I'd argue that Kaijudo's mana system was an improvement since you didn't have to use a Mana card of a specific color to summon creatures/cast spells, you just had to unlock that color in the Mana zone. The reason I consider this an improvement was because being forced to use specific colors for any sort of summoning/casting is completely idiotic in my honest opinion.

Chimera-gui fucked around with this message at 07:16 on Feb 22, 2017

Ephraim225
Oct 28, 2010

Chimera-gui posted:

Actually it lasted two seasons and I'd argue that Kaijudo's mana system was an improvement since you didn't have to use a Mana card of a specific color to summon creatures/cast spells, you just had to unlock that color in the Mana zone. The reason I consider this an improvement was because being forced to use specific colors for any sort of summoning/casting is completely idiotic in my honest opinion.

Psssh, specific colors? Try MTG where an entire third of your deck is taken up by cards that function only as mana. 12-year-old me stayed way the hell away from MTG just for that alone, though obviously MTG is the game still around outside Japan.

But that is a good improvement, it's what this PS2 game does in fact. There aren't even any "phases" either.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

Ephraim225 posted:

Psssh, specific colors? Try MTG where an entire third of your deck is taken up by cards that function only as mana. 12-year-old me stayed way the hell away from MTG just for that alone, though obviously MTG is the game still around outside Japan.

Magic: the Gathering was at least built around using specific mana colors to do everything as the cards outright state how much of each color was required to perform a specific action. In Duel Masters however, the specific color requirement for summoning/casting was an artifact of the fact that in the original manga, the characters were actually playing MtG.

Wizards of the Coast commissioned a manga to tie into Magic: the Gathering but weren't fond of the approach Shingenobu Matsumoto took for it so when the subject of an animated adaptation came up, it was allowed but on the condition that Magic would not be used for it so the game Duel Masters was created to fill-in for MtG in the anime.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Chimera-gui posted:

Magic: the Gathering was at least built around using specific mana colors to do everything as the cards outright state how much of each color was required to perform a specific action. In Duel Masters however, the specific color requirement for summoning/casting was an artifact of the fact that in the original manga, the characters were actually playing MtG.

Wizards of the Coast commissioned a manga to tie into Magic: the Gathering but weren't fond of the approach Shingenobu Matsumoto took for it so when the subject of an animated adaptation came up, it was allowed but on the condition that Magic would not be used for it so the game Duel Masters was created to fill-in for MtG in the anime.

You are incredibly knowledgeable about these things.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
Can I step in and say that I think that Duel Masters' mana mechanic is neat? I like that you can turn any card into mana, it makes sure you can always charge mana on your turn as long as you have at least 1 card in your hand so you never worry about not drawing enough lands in your starting hand. It also prompts interesting decisions, about what cards you sacrifice to use as mana instead of holding onto to cast/summon once you have enough.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer
what the fucl is this and now do I get in on commentating the unedited versions of this poo poo

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Herr Tog posted:

what the fucl is this and now do I get in on commentating the unedited versions of this poo poo

If you seriously want the files I have so far for some reason I can send them to you. But I assure you the editing will be essential.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

If you seriously want the files I have so far for some reason I can send them to you. But I assure you the editing will be essential.

I concede to your point and thank you for your generosity. let's...just do uh editted. Man this was based on MtG? Now I wanna read this

The Shame Boy
Jan 27, 2014

Dead weight, just like this post.

Man did they ever release Duel Masters standalone on DVD or something? I remember loving the hell out of the show when it was on i think Toonami back in the day.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011

HOOLY BOOLY posted:

Man did they ever release Duel Masters standalone on DVD or something? I remember loving the hell out of the show when it was on i think Toonami back in the day.

Sadly no, from what I can tell with a quick bit of googling. There's some DVDs Hasbro released covering the early bits of season 1, but they tend to cut or edit episodes to make them fit ~80 minutes per DVD.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Original Length Before Editing: 46 Minutes

Blaze Dragon
Aug 28, 2013
LOWTAX'S SPINE FUND

Oh god, it's not just the animation, even the models are terrible, moving in something that's meant to represent human movement but instead looking like lifeless, stretchy robots with no joints. You could reskin some of these and use them for a horror videogame.

Keep Darkness McEdgeLord as he is though, that's perfect.

GamesAreSupernice
Jan 3, 2014

Blaze Dragon posted:

Keep Darkness McEdgeLord as he is though, that's perfect.

All will come to fear the name Marcus.

Shoeless
Sep 2, 2011
He's got the most terrible, un-intimidating voice. Like, this is the voice you give your cool dark edgy blind guy?

jimmydalad
Sep 26, 2013

My face when others are unable to appreciate the :kazooieass:

AGDQ 2018 Awful Block Survivor
While the animation for the cutscenes and non-duel mode is absolutely awful, I really enjoy the models for the monsters in the game as well as their attacks. My personal favourite has to either be the futuristic light things or the hosed up black monsters.

Herr Tog
Jun 18, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Original Length Before Editing: 46 Minutes

everything in this post makes me hesitant to click that there link.

Chimera-gui
Mar 20, 2014

jimmydalad posted:

My personal favourite has to either be the futuristic light things or the hosed up black monsters.

Each of the five Civilizations had a motif: Light is very alien and robotic, Water is obviously aquatic but is also cybernetic, Darkness is very gothic and horror themed, Fire is heavily weaponized though the their technology isn't as advance as that of Light and Water to do them being being hosed over by volcanic activity, and finally Nature is tribal and the most primitive of the five.

Relationship-wise each Civilization has two allies and two enemies:
    Civilization - Allies - Enemies
  • Light - Water & Nature - Darkness & Fire
  • Water - Light & Darkness - Fire & Nature
  • Darkness - Water & Fire - Light & Nature
  • Fire - Darkness & Nature - Light & Water
  • Nature - Light & Fire - Water & Darkness

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Shoeless posted:

He's got the most terrible, un-intimidating voice. Like, this is the voice you give your cool dark edgy blind guy?

cool dark edgy, or just into bondage

• Locked thread