Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I've just recently returned to the early shift after a hiatus on nights. This means waking up at 0430 every morning so I can be in the office and sitting at my desk scowling at my computer by around 0530. The streets and traffic are a strange beast that early in the day, a combination of last night's dedicated drunks still hanging on and all the other early risers wandering around in their fugue state. To accomplish this task, I also have to be in bed around 9 every night and then I drive myself crazy continually waking up and checking the clock to calculate how much sleep time I have remaining. I can't be the only person who does this. This is a thread for other goons who get up early like me to tell their stories.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Too close to home man :(

Sponge Baathist
Jan 30, 2010

by FactsAreUseless
I haven't slept for days.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I claw my way to waking in the dark hours of the morning, where it is safe. Here I woke when the sun had already risen for the first time in many weeks, and it alarmed me.

Hardawn
Mar 15, 2004

Don't look at the sun, but rather what it illuminates
College Slice
I piss outside every morning on some rocks. Watch your step :grin:

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

Hardawn posted:

I piss outside every morning on some rocks. Watch your step :grin:

Pissing outside owns. Every morning I let the dogs out, light a smoke, and enjoy a nice morning wiz outside in the cool air and it's awesome.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
That schedule sounds loving horrible OP, I'd rather kill myself than go through that every week day.

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

new phone who dis posted:

I drive myself crazy continually waking up and checking the clock to calculate how much sleep time I have remaining.

I have normal hours but I also do this. If the clock shows that I have less than an hour left I pretty much can't fall back asleep because my brain and/or body are broken and stupid I guess.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

it's rad when you occasionally have like a week of working early and can commute at like 120mph in the open roads

BlueBlazer
Apr 1, 2010
I get up at 430 to row boats in the cold wet and dark. All those early morning joggers can suck it.

Also I want to die this morning.

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

a bone to pick posted:

That schedule sounds loving horrible OP, I'd rather kill myself than go through that every week day.

If the money is right it's completely worth it.

a bone to pick
Sep 14, 2011

by FactsAreUseless

Honky Dong Country posted:

If the money is right it's completely worth it.

Yeah that's all anyone bases their life decisions on, time and money, its really sick, makes me want to kill myself even harder.

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001

goons love suicide because it's the only activity they can afford

Honky Dong Country
Feb 11, 2015

a bone to pick posted:

Yeah that's all anyone bases their life decisions on, time and money, its really sick, makes me want to kill myself even harder.

I would agree if weekends and days off didn't exist. But I also only run a schedule like in the OP when I'm under contract in spring/fall except I do it six days a week, 12 hrs a day. Once I land a permanent gig I'll mostly be working 5:30-4:30ish mon-thurs except occasional weekends and nightshift week.

E: even once I land a permagig I'll still work those hours spring and fall though. An outage is an outage whether you're in-house or a contractor like I am. Nuke plants are fun.

Honky Dong Country fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Feb 22, 2017

new phone who dis
May 24, 2007

by VideoGames
Morbid Hound
I have a government pension, excellent benefits and make enough to rent an apartment a couple of bocks from the pacific ocean in my hometown by myself with just an Associate's Degree. This is the price I pay for not going into massive debt for a degree with worse employment prospects. Everything in life has a trade-off. Eventually I want to settle down and have a family and this job enables that, too. I've been working at this place for 13 years, and 10 of them have been with this schedule. It never gets any easier. To the person who said they wake up with less than an hour to go and can't fall back asleep, I'm right there with you.

Added difficulty level: I don't drink caffeine of any kind because it makes my anxiety go crazy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

unpleasantly turgid
Jul 6, 2016

u lightweights couldn't even feed my shadow ;*
wait op are you a bird?

• Locked thread