Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
http://www.wctv.tv/content/news/Confederate-flag-to-hang-at-City-Hall-in-Fla-town-420348473.html

Today like the last 10 years the town will be flying the flag of a terrorist organization that invaded and tried to destroy America and our way of life. Come pay your respects to the people that hate America.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thomawesome
Jul 19, 2009
Belleview Florida is a poo poo hole. It's not like we don't have the giant flag on I-4 right outside of Tampa. One step outside of a major metropolitan area here and you're right in redneck city.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe
As a proud southerner I hate the confederacy and the slave economy it stood for those were our worst mistakes and hamstring us to this day.

Randarkman
Jul 18, 2011

I fail to see how they could have invaded themselves. I mean all the lost cause and flying the confederate flag stuff is offensive and stupid. But referring to the secessionists as a "terrorist organization" that invaded america is really dumb.

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Randarkman posted:

I fail to see how they could have invaded themselves. I mean all the lost cause and flying the confederate flag stuff is offensive and stupid. But referring to the secessionists as a "terrorist organization" that invaded america is really dumb.

agreed it was a misguided insurrection in the name of a monstrous cause imo

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:

Randarkman posted:

Well they can be considered domestic terrorists attempting a coup of the rightful American government and since they lost that's all they should be.
Texas at least can keep it's Lone Star thing because they willingly joined the Union.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

Well they can be considered domestic terrorists attempting a coup of the rightful American government and since they lost that's all they should be.
Texas at least can keep it's Lone Star thing because they willingly joined the Union.

Well I mean they voted to secede, some through direct referendums or some through their elected representatives in the congresses. Its not like some dudes blew up the state capital and said "We confederacy now".

Its really a weak attempt to conflate the two. Is Scotland a terrorist organization for holding votes to secede from the UK?

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

KakerMix posted:

The US (with its apperantly perfectly ok flag) also rebelled against its rightful government, engaged in chattel slavery and has historically been dominated by white dudes. Pretty dumb argument.

Its not uncommon for failed separatist movements to not die out and have some reverence for flags and veterans. Ask the Basques. The CSA is a really interesting part of history and :lol: at the current outrage over it.

Sebastien Lenorman fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Apr 26, 2017

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

KakerMix posted:

Texas rejoined the Union at gunpoint at the end of the Civil War with the rest of the South!

LiterallyATomato
Mar 17, 2009

Sebastien Lenorman posted:

The CSA is a really interesting part of history and :lol: at the current outrage over it.

-Said someone who DEFINITELY isn't black.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

TequilaJesus posted:

-said someone who DEFINITELY isn't black

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

TequilaJesus posted:

The United States also kept slaves. Even during the Civil War. It wasn't slave owning states vs. non slave owning states.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

The US (with its apperantly perfectly ok flag) also rebelled against its rightful government, engaged in chattel slavery and has historically been dominated by white dudes. Pretty dumb argument.

Its not uncommon for failed separatist movements to not die out and have some reverence for flags and veterans. Ask the Basques. The CSA is a really interesting part of history and :lol: at the current outrage over it.

Now tell us how the Civil War War of Northern Aggression was actually about State's Rights TM.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Now tell us how the Civil War War of Northern Aggression was actually about State's Rights TM.

don't be obnoxious

shovelbum
Oct 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Who What Now posted:

it was

the right of a state to allow slaves and create more states that owned them

Snow Cone Capone
Jul 31, 2003

podunk town in the South still flies their dumb racist symbol film at 11

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
The shooting war actually started over the legality of secession (there was no clause in the constitution that covered this) and the 'hill everyone chose to die on' was the giving up of forts etc physically located in the South. This isn't open for debate and anyone who says hundreds of thousands of white men in the 1800s fought and died to free black slaves is a retard of the highest order.

The reason the south wanted to secede was because they wanted to keep slaves.

TrustmeImLegit fucked around with this message at 19:10 on Apr 26, 2017

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TrustmeImLegit posted:

don't be obnoxious

I would, but I have this condition where I cant treat people who defend the CSA with any kind of respect. Unfortunately there is no cure for this disorder. Please don't be ableist.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

I would, but I have this condition where I cant treat people who defend the CSA with any kind of respect. Unfortunately there is no cure for this disorder. Please don't be ableist.

no one is defending the CSA go on Free republic or some poo poo if you want to argue with dipshits and don't poo poo up this thread.

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

TrustmeImLegit posted:

no one is defending the CSA go on Free republic or some poo poo if you want to argue with dipshits and don't poo poo up this thread.

You know this is GBS and not D&D, right?

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Who What Now posted:

I really hate to get embroiled in this dumbass thread but not a single person has defended the Confederate States of America, nor have they "respected" it, you're just retarded and see red whenever a Bad Thing is brought up

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

walgreenslatino posted:

I really hate to get embroiled in this dumbass thread but not a single person has defended the Confederate States of America, nor have they "respected" it, you're just retarded and see red whenever a Bad Thing is brought up

Talking about how the North had slaves too is like CSA defense tactics 101. Maybe dont use the same arguments slavery apologists use and you won't get called a slavery apologist.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
I rest my case

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
traitors and secessionists should be hung from the neck until dead IMO

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

Talking about how the North had slaves too is like CSA defense tactics 101. Maybe dont use the same arguments slavery apologists use and you won't get called a slavery apologist.

Facts have a well known racist bias - Forums user who what now

Sebastien Lenorman fucked around with this message at 19:49 on Apr 26, 2017

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
According to a youtube comment confederate cavalrymen had a dozen guns attached to their waists via lanyards and would just unload ammo whenever they got into battles but emptying one gun and then moving on to a new loaded gun and kept firing.

That is my confederate states of america thanks for reading.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
If you want to fight people who advocate slavery without leaving the website might I suggest whatever the current Communist theorycrafting thread Dnd has up? Happened all the time in there. Just ask them if they see that their economic plan requires 500 people work in this mine but only 250 are willing to work there, what then? Then have fun.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
people who died to keep slavery are scum tbh

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

EorayMel posted:

According to a youtube comment confederate cavalrymen had a dozen guns attached to their waists via lanyards and would just unload ammo whenever they got into battles but emptying one gun and then moving on to a new loaded gun and kept firing.

That is my confederate states of america thanks for reading.

Sounds like a great plan for a nation without much domestic arms manufacturing blockaded on all sides. I wonder why they had trouble getting enough guns to arm their troops.

Prorat
Aug 3, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
It's just a flag. Burn it, fly it, do what you want.

We are talking about the American flag right?

Checkmate liberals :v:

turn off the TV
Aug 4, 2010

moderately annoying

Look, I'm not a Nazi. I just own and fly a Nazi flag above my house because I think that it's an interesting part of history. I have a nazi flag liscence plate because it's just an interesting part of history. Nobody is really trying to defend Nazis here. And anyways, World War 2 wasn't even about the holocaust, it about Germany's authority to conquer other countries and exterminate their Jewish populations. Furthermore

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

XMNN posted:

people who died to keep slavery are scum tbh

Careful, saying slavers are anything but noble heroes fighting to defend their way of life is frowned upon ITT.

CRIP EATIN BREAD
Jun 24, 2002

Hey stop worrying bout my acting bitch, and worry about your WACK ass music. In the mean time... Eat a hot bowl of Dicks! Ice T

Soiled Meat
everything sherman did to the south was justified imho

Sebastien Lenorman
Apr 12, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Counterpoint: Atlanta is a thriving metropolis with tons of industry, the legacy of slavery and racism still effects and harms people to this day.

:smug: Checkmate, Yankees

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth

CRIP EATIN BREAD posted:

Sherman didnt go far enough.

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

yeah but we won

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
All flags have reasons to be burned, to be honest

Ride The Gravitron
May 2, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Who What Now posted:

War against souther terrorism :colbert:

Brother Tadger
Feb 15, 2012

I'm accidentally a suicide bomber!

Anti-flag? That doesn't mean anti-the American flag, does it?!

Riiiiiggggghhhtttt oooon

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

Judakel posted:

yeah but we won

I know you are a ultra mega commie or something but generally speaking we dont brutally suppress people who we disagree with.

• Locked thread