Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

This title text is surprisingly sturdy.
When it comes to entertainment genres, I've always been prone to the lighter side. I'm working on getting more drama and general grittiness into my life, but I thought it would be more fun talk about the other extreme, Horror. Maybe it's because it's ultimately less grounded, idk, but there's something about it that I think I can appreciate.

When I was fourteen or so I read summaries for Nightmare on Elmstreet and Friday the 13th and found them strangely compelling, but not enough to actually watch teenagers getting stabbed. The campiness and cartoon violence is something I definitely understand so I'd really like to give the genre a chance. Then, I thought
Maybe there are some goons that can convince me that horror is great!

I grew up playing Nitemare 3D on my Grandpa's PC

and I'll never, EVER forget this horrifying image from Uninvited on the NES

This is the type of stuff that fascinates me about the genre, so tell me goons, what's good about horror? What should I watch/play? Why should I like it?

And hey! Send me $15 and you'll get more than just a forum thread about horror!

Starman Super DX fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 22, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
Alien isolation is a good horror game but on the higher difficulties the alien gets some real bs powers. Prey 2k17 is also good but that's more jumpscares with some existential horror mixed in.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Have Blue posted:

Alien isolation is a good horror game but on the higher difficulties the alien gets some real bs powers. Prey 2k17 is also good but that's more jumpscares with some existential horror mixed in.

I was going to play new Prey but without any notions that it could even be considered horror at all. Compare it to Dead Space for me as a reference. Dead Space being something less than a bare minimum of real horror.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
That's fair. It's a good game either way. Personally I got proper spooked a few times and the overarching plot left me uneasy.

Oh also the original alien movie is v good (duh) and I'd consider that horror too.

E: Harlan ellison's stuff is good, esp I have no mouth and I must scream

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Have Blue posted:

That's fair. It's a good game either way. Personally I got proper spooked a few times and the overarching plot left me uneasy.

Oh also the original alien movie is v good (duh) and I'd consider that horror too.

E: Harlan ellison's stuff is good, esp I have no mouth and I must scream

The last horror game that spooked me at all was PROBABLY Condemned.

That was some good poo poo.

e: oh! I did read I Have No Mouth and I Must Scream. Very good existentialist horror, if I have that correct. Please tell me if I'm not. Honestly.

Have Blue
Mar 27, 2013

Panther Like a Panther
You do have it correct. Theres actually a rather old adventure game based off of the story that I got a kick out of too

ProfessorMurder
Aug 27, 2003

I can wet the bed in the shape of Abraham Lincoln

Have Blue posted:

You do have it correct. Theres actually a rather old adventure game based off of the story that I got a kick out of too

Cool old game.

Zeluth
May 12, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfpDA7tc9Vs

Zeluth fucked around with this message at 09:12 on Jun 22, 2017

BIG PUFFY NIPS
Mar 7, 2007

College Slice
clive barkers books of blood collection has some brilliant and varied conceptual horror stories op i highly recommend

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
I've never liked horror, so I can't help you. I will tell you that movies like Friday the 13th arent really horror. Slasher flicks are more like very dark comedies. I recommend watching the Friday the 13th that takes place in Brooklyn. Is very funny.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar

I liked this game a lot. Cliver Barker's Undying was pretty fun too.

As far as horror movies go, I like pretty much anything that can be described as "found footage horror". Grave Encounters, As Above So Below, Trollhunter, etc I can never get enough of.

Jim Barris
Aug 13, 2009
Silent Hill 2 is a great video game and also genuinely horrifying, play that.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

I have a strange tradition of watching the worst slasher horrors with my cousin and brother during xmas time or whatever family gathering we can get away and find a TV with movies-on-demand. Used to be we would raid the Blockbuster for the shittiest slashers but such is life.

I've seen a lot of crap. Most of it pretty entertaining though. Leprechaun is my favorite horror series by far. Nightmare on Elm St dares to be a good movie. Never cared for Jason or Myers.

But what we are really after is poo poo like this:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0282163/

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo

Jim Barris posted:

I've never liked horror, so I can't help you. I will tell you that movies like Friday the 13th arent really horror. Slasher flicks are more like very dark comedies. I recommend watching the Friday the 13th that takes place in Brooklyn. Is very funny.

That one barely has any scenes in NY, it's mostly on a boat.

In any case Jason X is the best Friday the 13th movie. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mF629C5WRqU

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.

Jim Barris posted:

Silent Hill 2 is a great video game and also genuinely horrifying, play that.

The Silent Hill series is excellent at three very important components of horror:
1. Audio/score design
2. Tension/suspense
3. Turning the known into the unknown

I was particularly enamored with the execution of PT. You've only got a small space to explore and naturally, you familiarize yourself with it very quickly. The game then begins tweaking your familiar space until you're second guessing yourself and scrutinizing every small detail to make certain of whether it's really changed. It comes to the point where something as minute as the color of lighting or whether it's raining makes you scared to look around the corner. It's really ingenious. Unfortunately, OP, you can only watch playthroughs as Konami employed a scorched earth policy of all things Kojima.

For something a little more low-tech and available, the Chzo Mythos games were pretty fun and you can play them for free.

It's Lovecraftian horror done almost entirely by one goony dude. And at one point, a torso jumps out at you!

Drunk Nerds
Jan 25, 2011

Just close your eyes
Fun Shoe
If you want an insanely good horror movie with very few jump scares, It Follows is streaming on Netflix and blows my drat mind every time I watch it

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
Come play Friday the 13th with goons, it's more fun than scary but also can be scary fun.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless

Drunk Nerds posted:

If you want an insanely good horror movie with very few jump scares, It Follows is streaming on Netflix and blows my drat mind every time I watch it

that movie is amazing. i also think it comes at night is totally dreadful in a great way, so go see that in a theater near you!

also there's some jason game right now that's making waves where you got 8 people playing camp counselors and one playing jason, so if you want to be the movie instead of watching the movie, maybe look into that

Volcott
Mar 30, 2010

People paying American dollars to let other people know they didn't agree with someone's position on something is the lifeblood of these forums.
I always thought it was odd how the game is called i have no mouth and i must scream when that's just one of the endings, and you really have to cock things up to get said ending.

Soup du Journey
Mar 20, 2006

by FactsAreUseless
yeah the game would have been more accurate if the short story it was based on was called "i have no mouth and i must scream when that's just one of the endings, and you really have to cock things up to get said ending"

Sjs00
Jun 29, 2013

Yeah Baby Yeah !

yeah I eat rear end posted:

As far as horror movies go, I like pretty much anything that can be described as "found footage horror". Grave Encounters, As Above So Below, Trollhunter, etc I can never get enough of.

yup your reflection is horrible alright

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Sjs00 posted:

yup your reflection is horrible alright

Look at the URL. That was the only shivers image I could find that would let me link to it without downloading it and uploading to imgur myself.

Plus if I had it still it definitely wouldn't be unopened and I'd be trying to figure out how to make it work on my computer right now.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

Wanted to read everyone's replies in earnest before responding.

Anything done by Sierra in the 90's has my vote. Found footage sounds good to me, actually. I watched a bit of Marble Hornets up until he went to the hotel and it started to get weird and less good.

Das Boo posted:

The Silent Hill series is excellent at three very important components of horror:
1. Audio/score design
2. Tension/suspense
3. Turning the known into the unknown

I was particularly enamored with the execution of PT. You've only got a small space to explore and naturally, you familiarize yourself with it very quickly. The game then begins tweaking your familiar space until you're second guessing yourself and scrutinizing every small detail to make certain of whether it's really changed. It comes to the point where something as minute as the color of lighting or whether it's raining makes you scared to look around the corner. It's really ingenious. Unfortunately, OP, you can only watch playthroughs as Konami employed a scorched earth policy of all things Kojima.

For something a little more low-tech and available, the Chzo Mythos games were pretty fun and you can play them for free.

It's Lovecraftian horror done almost entirely by one goony dude. And at one point, a torso jumps out at you!

This looks very much like my poo poo.
My GF has also been bugging me about Silent Hill for months. Are both 1 & 2 good? She also wants to play Clocktower. Here is a boxart picture because pictures are fun.

Also to Jim Barris, you're right. Thinking about it, I'm less interested in seeing kids get characterized and then are just lined up for wacky Freddy deaths. I should really watch the first one though because it's my understanding that one's the most legitimate horror. Jason Takes Manhattan sounds a little more entertaining.

Tinfoil Papercut posted:

Come play Friday the 13th with goons, it's more fun than scary but also can be scary fun.

Where is this happening?

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
PT is basically the best horror game in existence and it sucks that the only way most people can play it is if they buy someone's PS4 off ebay

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

CharlestonJew posted:

PT is basically the best horror game in existence and it sucks that the only way most people can play it is if they buy someone's PS4 off ebay

Just read about this. That actually makes me furious. What purpose is there in removing this game entirely from existence? It annoys me to think that there was a piece of artwork that's been permanently deleted because of some superficial corporate board decision. I guess it would be massive face loss if they had to call it "the teaser for a canceled game". It's silly, but I can't help but think there's something really hosed up about having to buy a whole new console with the game preloaded on it and that's literally the only way it can be played as things stand.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

Starman Super DX posted:

Just read about this. That actually makes me furious. What purpose is there in removing this game entirely from existence?

Konami top management is extremely petty and vindictive and they hated Hideo Kojima enough to burn it all down just to spite him

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009

Starman Super DX posted:

Just read about this. That actually makes me furious. What purpose is there in removing this game entirely from existence? It annoys me to think that there was a piece of artwork that's been permanently deleted because of some superficial corporate board decision. I guess it would be massive face loss if they had to call it "the teaser for a canceled game". It's silly, but I can't help but think there's something really hosed up about having to buy a whole new console with the game preloaded on it and that's literally the only way it can be played as things stand.

Konami sucks

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Hell yeah, Shivers was dope as gently caress. Shivers 2 was pretty good, a little weird and not quite as good as 1 but I liked it a lot

Vastarien
Dec 20, 2012

Where I live is nightmare, thus a certain nonchalance.

Buglord
The first three Silent Hill games are absolute perfection. The series takes a draaaastic nosedive afterwards. So, yeah, stick to the first three. And stay away from the HD collection. That thing was a loving mess.

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
Pumpkin Hills from Sonic adventure battle 2 is the epitome of the horror genre

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LIsQuFX9Xk

Vakal
May 11, 2008
Ripper for the PC was a bog standard FMV game that had a few horror elements.

That said, the game is amazing and should be played by everyone due Christopher Walken completely haming it up in every scene he's in.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

Xaris posted:

Hell yeah, Shivers was dope as gently caress. Shivers 2 was pretty good, a little weird and not quite as good as 1 but I liked it a lot

I never actually played the sequel. I'd like to but last time I tried I couldn't get the original to work on windows 10 so I doubt the sequel would either.

Sierra really made great games in that era, from kings quest to shivers to torins passage to betrayal in antara. Too bad people decided in modern times games shouldn't be fun anymore and have to be suitable to ~esports~ or they never get made.

Starman Super DX
Oct 17, 2011

I never actually played the sequel. I'd like to but last time I tried I couldn't get the original to work on windows 10 so I doubt the sequel would either.

Sierra really made great games in that era, from kings quest to shivers to torins passage to betrayal in antara. Too bad people decided in modern times games shouldn't be fun anymore and have to be suitable to ~esports~ or they never get made.

aw yeah son slughetti and peatballs all day everyday :hfive:

e: Torin's Passage wasn't horror but it was definitely unsettling in it's own way.

cda
Jan 2, 2010

by Hand Knit

Starman Super DX posted:

and I'll never, EVER forget this horrifying image from Uninvited on the NES

I had it in black and white on my family's Mac and you're right. I will never shake this image. It's where all my troubles began.

I don't know why my parents let me play this game.

Egbert Souse
Nov 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mLm7ZAJUe5o

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I'm having a great time playing resident evil 7 on psvr

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
I really liked Alan wake. I know a lot of people didn't but I liked the light gimmicks and really enjoyed the writing

fr0id
Jul 27, 2016

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!
Holy poo poo all these people who are recommending video games for getting into horror. Horror should be something you watch with no way to control it or go through an inventory menu, imo.

So your classic slasher franchises are of course Friday the 13th, Nightmare on Elm Street, and Halloween. Of those, the Friday movies probably have the best batting average of quality, although the Nightmare movies have some fun visuals and effects. Like someone said, they're more about dark comedy and funhouse thrills. Halloween is a bit more serious, but the only good ones are the first one, maybe part 2, part 3 which has nothing to do with the series, and the second rob zombie remake.

Beyond that John Carpenter movies are pretty great. The Fog is fun, but light on gore. The Thing is a masterpiece. In the Mouth of Madness is uneven but fun. He also did the original Halloween which is great but I'd recommend you watch it first because it basically created a lot of the cliches that other horror movies use now.

I personally really like found footage, and if you like the gimmick of a horror video game you might like found footage. I love VHS and VHS 2, though the second may be easier for a viewer to get into.

Honestly, just googling a list of "the best horror movies" will get you a lot of classics. Watch them. When critics and the general public agree about a horror movie being good that is over 15 years old, that's because it is actually a very good movie. You could also look up They Shoot Zombies Don't They for a list of 1000 of the best horror movies. Or wait until October, and check for a thread called the Scream Stream in the Cinema Discusso where controversial goon Lurdiak streams horror movies every weekend of the month.

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Babadook is a great horror film. It's not particularly gory but if you can connect with characters on some level, it will gently caress you up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Soul Reaver
Mar 8, 2009

in retrospect the old redtext was a little over the top, I think I was in a bad mood that day. it appears you've learned your lesson about slagging our gods and masters at beamdog but I'm still going to leave this av up because i think its funny

god bless
Right, let me list some things that come to mind and hopefully haven't been mentioned yet. I dislike slashers and prefer films with growing, tense, supernatural horror.

Movies:

Dark Water (2002 Japanese version)
My favourite horror film, full stop. About a woman undergoing a divorce and struggling to keep custody of her daughter. She shacks up in a crummy cheap apartment. Water starts to drip from the ceiling. Tense and ratchets up the horror wonderfully. Not for you if you don't like the asian horror style stuff, which has unfortunately probably been overdone at this point. If you're new to horror though, watch this.

Ring (1998 Japanese version)
I found this scarier but less good overall than Dark Water when I saw it. It's had way more exposure so at this point you probably know too much of what happens. But if you've been living under a rock it might be worth a watch.

The Woman in Black (2012)
Some people might not like this one because it's fundamentally a generic 'haunted house' flick. I like it precisely because there are almost no good 'generic haunted house' flicks being made anymore - almost all of them have to have a twist or a gimmick or are just sucky. This one doesn't and isn't. I actually really enjoyed it, though it's got a few too many jump scares for my liking.

The Innocents (1961)
If you can stomach the somewhat melodramatic acting and initially somewhat slow pace, this is a marvellously tense and unsettling film. A woman is sent to be a nanny for two children in an isolated manor. Creepy things occur. There's a scene that pretty much made my stomach drop.

The Others (2001)
This is an excellent haunted house film all around, but (for reasons I won't go into) didn't quite scratch my itch quite the way The Woman in Black did. I still strongly recommend it.

The Descent (2005)
A bunch of people trapped in caves underground. They're not alone. Great horror movie if you have claustraphobia. A lot bloodier than some of the others on this list but parts have really stuck with me.

Comedy option
Tucker and Dale vs Evil (2010)
This is the movie that 'Cabin in the Woods' wishes it could be. It's a spoof of your typical slasher movies and their cliches, and it's a good one. I found it hilarious.

Games:

Firstly: I second Silent Hill. I probably found 1 slightly scarier than 2, but both are excellent and 2 has by far the better plot. Play 2 at the very least.
Secondly: Clive Barker's Undying is also very good, though it's uneven and loses the horror a bit in the second half. When its scary it's scary though, and the plot is great.

Amnesia: The Dark Descent
No weapons, just you in a scary castle with some really scary things roaming about. Darkness can hide you, but your character also has a fear of the dark so you can't stay in it too long... Has both health and sanity mechanics. Story becomes very disturbing too as you puzzle it out.

System Shock 2
I didn't play the first one, but I did play this. It's not a horror game per se, and as you get better at it/better at defending yourself it becomes somewhat less horrifying over time. But this is one of the few games that scared the crap out of me repeatedly. You wake up in a faster-than-light ship with the crew apparently dead or infected by some sort of alien organism and and the AI apparently not being all there anymore... and there's worse to come. Fantastic sound design.

EDIT: I also thought about mentioning The Babadook, like Colonel Cancer did above (but then left it off because I felt I had enough on the list). But he's right, it's good.

Soul Reaver fucked around with this message at 12:27 on Jun 23, 2017

• Locked thread