Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.

OwlFancier posted:

drat if only there were some kind of... control... that the state could enforce over rents.

rent control has serious downsides re housing availability

it's not a panacea

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.

boner confessor posted:

nah, in most of the us the problem with housing is cost not supply. the shortage is affordable housing, not housing in general.

boner confessor posted:

outside of a few urban enclaves which are heavily represented in this forum, there's plenty of housing. just not housing that is located anywhere anyone wants to live, which is why it is affordable. vacancy rates nationally typically remain pretty level
I'm confused because first you said there's a shortage of affordable housing but now you're saying outside "a few urban enclaves" the housing is actually affordable. Which one is it?

And yeah at first I thought you were focusing on the booming metros where housing costs have gone up so much, because I agree that there's lots of parts of the country where housing is still affordable because there aren't many good jobs.

Malcolm XML posted:

it's not a panacea
Rent control seems sanely implemented in Germany where I live now. On the other hand you have Stockholm where you have to wait like one or two decades to get an apartment in the city.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

it's not a panacea

I mean I'm perfectly willing to drive private landlords out of business and have the state take over instead :v:

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Malcolm XML posted:

it's not a panacea
Huh, how? If the direct reason the rent is going up is due to universal income people have more money to compete over rent, how does rent control to prevent landlords from colluding to capture that extra money have any impact on availability? Neither demand nor supply has changed in this scenario.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

twodot posted:

Huh, how? If the direct reason the rent is going up is due to universal income people have more money to compete over rent, how does rent control to prevent landlords from colluding to capture that extra money have any impact on availability?
1. It limits how lucrative being a landlord can potentially be (which is the whole point) which naturally means reduced incentive to build more housing.

2. By making renters immune to market rate increases, you remove an incentive for them to vote for looser zoning regulations that would increase housing supply. If you're in a rent-controlled apartment in SF, what do you care if limited supply is making prices shoot through the roof? This is similar to the impact of property tax increase restrictions like Prop 13 in California.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Cicero posted:

1. It limits how lucrative being a landlord can potentially be (which is the whole point) which naturally means reduced incentive to build more housing.
It means identical incentive to build more housing to what existed before the universal income.

quote:

2. By making renters immune to market rate increases, you remove an incentive for them to vote for looser zoning regulations that would increase housing supply. If you're in a rent-controlled apartment in SF, what do you care if limited supply is making prices shoot through the roof? This is similar to the impact of property tax increase restrictions like Prop 13 in California.
Who said anything about immune to market rate increases? We just need to control them enough to prevent capitalists from capturing the extra money people have from a universal income.
edit:
Like I get why "rent control as a mechanism to create affordable housing" has problems, but that's not what was being proposed.

twodot fucked around with this message at 23:23 on Jun 28, 2017

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

Cicero posted:

I'm confused because first you said there's a shortage of affordable housing but now you're saying outside "a few urban enclaves" the housing is actually affordable. Which one is it?

i'm saying that where there is a shortage, it's due to unaffordability and not lack of units. you originally said housing is more constrained than food which isn't untrue but doesn't discount my comparison because it's extremely rare to find an area with 0% vacancy rates compared to one where housing goes vacant because landlords are holding out for wealthier tenants. and in much of the us there's plenty of housing, which often drives down cost

Cicero posted:

2. By making renters immune to market rate increases, you remove an incentive for them to vote for looser zoning regulations that would increase housing supply. I

nobody votes for this, you show up at board meetings or charettes and use public comment to advocate your views. renters hardly ever do this because they often don't care as much about specific local regulations compared to homeowners

in my experience the only people who show up are older homeowners, chronic gadflies, and unmedicated persons worried about agenda 21. not a single person will ever respond to financial incentive to show up a the bimonthly planning board meeting or whatever

boner confessor fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Jun 28, 2017

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Again what if the state could, like, do things without waiting for the free market to stop failing to do it because it's not profitable to the right people?

Like either it is not possible to produce enough stuff that everyone in the country can live somewhere, or there is a problem with the system you're using to distribute that productivity. I'm inclined to suggest it might be the latter.

boner confessor
Apr 25, 2013

by R. Guyovich

OwlFancier posted:

Again what if the state could, like, do things without waiting for the free market to stop failing to do it because it's not profitable to the right people?

Like either it is not possible to produce enough stuff that everyone in the country can live somewhere, or there is a problem with the system you're using to distribute that productivity. I'm inclined to suggest it might be the latter.

you'd have to rewrite federalism pretty much because housing policy and land use controls are at the absolute tippy top of poo poo that is firmly in the "federal government not allowed to do anything about this" side of the 10th amendment

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

boner confessor posted:

you'd have to rewrite federalism pretty much because housing policy and land use controls are at the absolute tippy top of poo poo that is firmly in the "federal government not allowed to do anything about this" side of the 10th amendment

Sorry about your broken country.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

OwlFancier posted:

Sorry about your broken country.

Give us time, we have to exhaustively try all the shitiest options first.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
If you want an example of what happens when you throw money into a relatively fixed supply, just look at higher education costs in the US. Easy loans didn't make college more affordable: it just made it more expensive, and permitted a trade of education for decades of debt.

UBI is a really interesting concept that needs research, but if you assume that money goes towards rent, then it will increase the cost of shelter.

lllllllllllllllllll
Feb 28, 2010

Now the scene's lighting is perfect!
Is it... ethical to treat people humanely?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

If you want an example of what happens when you throw money into a relatively fixed supply, just look at higher education costs in the US. Easy loans didn't make college more affordable: it just made it more expensive, and permitted a trade of education for decades of debt.

UBI is a really interesting concept that needs research, but if you assume that money goes towards rent, then it will increase the cost of shelter.

That's not what happens when you throw money into a relatively fixed supply, that's what happens when you give anyone who wants it money but mandate that it can only be used to buy one particular thing. Not only did the price of that thing go up, but the colleges poured money into expensive projects designed to attract more students and their guaranteed money, which drove prices up further as they paid for those expansions and additions. It's not particularly a supply issue - while colleges do have finite capacity, they also like to reject a lot of applicants to make their selectivity statistics look good (and therefore seem higher-quality and more exclusive to potential customers students).

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Ynglaur posted:

College education also has the benefit of never being able to discharge such debt, which is a lot more the reason for their inflated cost.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008
I am worried about a large proportion of the population being made entirely dependent on the State without extremely firm rights being enshrined in the constitution or similar. What's to stop the gutting of the UBI?

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

the trump tutelage posted:

I am worried about a large proportion of the population being made entirely dependent on the State without extremely firm rights being enshrined in the constitution or similar. What's to stop the gutting of the UBI?

The fact that no one wants to be the deciding vote to kick off Civil War II?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

All I want to know is what the hell you're supposed to do when all the good jobs are in the city yet getting a place with less than a 45~60m commute costs buttloads of money. You get to choose between decent paying jobs or affordable housing.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Build more housing? Both private and public. The latter funded through progressive means.

Build more high-quality transit and bike paths so in addition to lower housing costs you also have lower transportation costs.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

Why are you more scared of citizens being dependent on the state than you are of citizens being dependent on employers? Governments, at least in theory, have an obligation to their citizens. The vast majority of the population is completely dependent on larger, wealthier entities no matter what.

Dead Reckoning
Sep 13, 2011
It's much easier to find a new employer than to up and find a new government. The power welded by governments is also significantly different than private employers.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's much easier to find a new employer than to up and find a new government. The power welded by governments is also significantly different than private employers.

We're talking about pure monetary dependence here, though. Receiving a check from the government doesn't meaningfully give the government more power over you than an employer. The government arguably has far less influence over your life if it's a non-conditional benefit like a UBI.

Edit for a little more clarity on where I'm coming from-

The problem I have with this line of discussion is that no one who isn't extremely wealthy is really independent in any way that matters. When most people talk about dependence on the government, what they're really saying is that they're afraid those dirty welfare moochers won't build skills for the "real world." And that's kind of a nonsense argument too, because employers in mid/high salary industries aren't going to care if you were working at McDonalds or collecting a welfare check since both are equally irrelevant.

Paradoxish fucked around with this message at 06:10 on Jul 22, 2017

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
The issue would be that people with UBIs probably couldn't afford coastal cities where the housing stock is already bought up and someone making a working class salary already can't really afford to live there. While in midwest/rustbelt there is usually enough housing stock, and increases in rent would be relatively marginal.

The solution if anything would be what the Soviets (and other countries) did after the war and simply build giant dormitory districts connected by rail/public transportation so people in coastal cities have a UBI.

The problem with a UBI, isn't redistribution, but the idea you just need to throw cash at the problem and the free market can handle it. If anything I would like to see more state investment in housing/transportation/education than a check. Sometimes it makes more sense to have a targetted investment in something with social value than just let the market handle it.

That said, I would prefer a UBI on top of that than something like price controls which just don't work.

unlimited shrimp
Aug 30, 2008

Paradoxish posted:

We're talking about pure monetary dependence here, though. Receiving a check from the government doesn't meaningfully give the government more power over you than an employer. The government arguably has far less influence over your life if it's a non-conditional benefit like a UBI.

Edit for a little more clarity on where I'm coming from-

The problem I have with this line of discussion is that no one who isn't extremely wealthy is really independent in any way that matters. When most people talk about dependence on the government, what they're really saying is that they're afraid those dirty welfare moochers won't build skills for the "real world." And that's kind of a nonsense argument too, because employers in mid/high salary industries aren't going to care if you were working at McDonalds or collecting a welfare check since both are equally irrelevant.
Don't get me wrong, I think UBI is good and I'm not worried about whether or not people "deserve" their social benefits. But I am worried about people with no alternative to a UBI being ground to dust by tomorrow's Freedom Caucus because we didn't have the foresight to write the entitlements in stone.

That doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue it regardless.

WampaLord
Jan 14, 2010

Don't get me wrong, I think UBI is good and I'm not worried about whether or not people "deserve" their social benefits. But I am worried about people with no alternative to a UBI being ground to dust by tomorrow's Freedom Caucus because we didn't have the foresight to write the entitlements in stone.

Look at how much people are freaking out over the ACA being potentially repealed. Now imagine that but 10x harder because instead of a nebulous thing like "healthcare" it's money in your pocket.

It would become the new third rail of politics, no one would ever be able to gently caress with it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Or look at the NHS in britain, the tories have spent decades trying to dismantle it and all they've managed is to shift some of it off to profit making companies while keeping it free at the point of use, and also scuppering their election chances when faced with someone who says "actually spending money on it is good".

Things that people come to depend on have serious sticking power, you might as well suggest that women shouldn't have the vote because what happens if the government tried to take it off them?

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

That doesn't mean we shouldn't pursue it regardless.

Fair enough. I usually assume the worst when I see someone worrying about people becoming dependent on the government, so my bad for thinking that you were saying something worse than you actually were.

Still, a big part of the argument for the universality of a UBI is that it's much harder to take away something that everyone is receiving. The ACA is incredibly hard for the Republicans to deal with because almost everyone who isn't super rich is getting something out of it, even if they aren't on the individual market or Medicaid. Republicans would have the same problem eliminating something like a UBI or a more robust EITC (or even something like the Canada Child Benefit) because any non-partisan analysis would immediately reveal that a repeal would leave people worse off.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Dead Reckoning posted:

It's much easier to find a new employer than to up and find a new government.

The subtext here being you're ok with employees running a gauntlet, bouncing from job to job until they find the one that pays well and treats the employee well.

When most of those jobs are bad and all the actually good ones are taken, having a basic income and risking the political gauntlet seems like a better deal.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

WampaLord posted:

Look at how much people are freaking out over the ACA being potentially repealed. Now imagine that but 10x harder because instead of a nebulous thing like "healthcare" it's money in your pocket.

It would become the new third rail of politics, no one would ever be able to gently caress with it.

my concern is less that it would be repealed, and more that it would never be adjusted.

minimum wage used to be a lot higher (adjusted for inflation)

especially since lolbertarians will seize on ubi as an excuse to get rid of the minimum wage

i worry about and end state where you can either live in borderline poverty with a bunch of roomates or work 80 hours a week for slightly better, while mark zuckerberg owns an entire dakota.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

As opposed to now, which is very different from that.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

maskenfreiheit posted:

my concern is less that it would be repealed, and more that it would never be adjusted.

minimum wage used to be a lot higher (adjusted for inflation)

especially since lolbertarians will seize on ubi as an excuse to get rid of the minimum wage

i worry about and end state where you can either live in borderline poverty with a bunch of roomates or work 80 hours a week for slightly better, while mark zuckerberg owns an entire dakota.

If UBI is high enough, why would you need a minimum wage? If it's not high enough, then has society truly grown wealthy enough to afford it? Not asking rhetorically.

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Ynglaur posted:

If UBI is high enough, why would you need a minimum wage? If it's not high enough, then has society truly grown wealthy enough to afford it? Not asking rhetorically.

The problem is inflation. We can set a "high enough " value now. Will it be high enough decades later?

rudatron
May 31, 2011

by Fluffdaddy
Ideally you would peg it to inflation or cost of living.

Ratoslov
Feb 15, 2012

Now prepare yourselves! You're the guests of honor at the Greatest Kung Fu Cannibal BBQ Ever!

rudatron posted:

Ideally you would peg it to inflation or cost of living.

Which immediately results in sneaky gaming of cost of living stats so cost of living goes down constantly while it gets more and more expensive to live.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Chain cpi my rear end.

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Ynglaur posted:

So do you think the EITC is useless and that we should get rid of it because we aren't a wealthy enough society to afford it? Something like a UBI can be used to address poverty without necessarily needing it to be $20k/year or whatever arbitrary number we decide is high enough to ditch the minimum wage. It would still provide a solid floor of financial stability, especially at the low end.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010
If the UBI is insufficient or politicians try to cut it back, then the same political forces and conditions that got it passed in the first place will quickly reassert themselves. It's a self-solving problem.

stone cold
Feb 15, 2014

OwlFancier posted:

I mean I'm perfectly willing to drive private landlords out of business and have the state take over instead :v:

mao wasn't wrong

maskenfreiheit
Dec 30, 2004

Main Paineframe posted:

If the UBI is insufficient or politicians try to cut it back, then the same political forces and conditions that got it passed in the first place will quickly reassert themselves. It's a self-solving problem.

So you're saying :airquote: the market will sort it out :airquote:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Society and politics are not markets.

• Locked thread