Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Capilarean
Apr 10, 2009
Silt Verses is amazingly made but I have to say, by season 3 It's starting to feel a bit grimdark, in a bad way.
Seems like you can't flush the toilet without making a human sacrifice in that universe and it does get a bit silly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

Capilarean posted:

Silt Verses is amazingly made but I have to say, by season 3 It's starting to feel a bit grimdark, in a bad way.
Seems like you can't flush the toilet without making a human sacrifice in that universe and it does get a bit silly.

I think that's the point. You know how the poor and marginalized are abused and exploited in our world? It's the same thing but in a world where you can literally create gods, saints, and angels through human sacrifices to fight wars. The "undesirables" are conscripted.

Which is why I love The Many Below so much. It subverts the whole process.

vortmax fucked around with this message at 05:36 on Nov 17, 2023

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Capilarean posted:

I'm a few episodes behind, but I feel that it's moving towards an apocalypse, that the current system can't sustain.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
One thing I’ve noticed about Silt Verses is that they’re no longer using monologues to set the scene - it’s all implied by soundscaping now. I’m going to be honest, I do miss the descriptions. Without them you get far less of the narrator’s personal reaction to the setting - we’re now watching them all from the outside.

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So yesterday I became obsessed with a new podcast discovery, "Modes of Thought in Anterran Literature". It mainly consists of lectures from a classical history college professor about a newly discovered civilization that predates known human civilization by tens of thousands of years (roughly 85,000 BCE). The civilization was discovered after a Chinese submarine had mechanical failure and crashed to the bottom of the ocean, where the civilization was discovered. What's fascinating about this podcast, besides the premise, is that this really does feel like a lecture in classical history. In fact because the professor wants to give context to the discovery, he also brings up real classical history examples as an illustration of how the Anterran civilization is so vastly different, yet we can also see some possible threads connecting the two. I've learned about The Antikythera mechanism (first analog computer estimated around 200 BCE), Euclidean Rhythm, the death ritual practices, political structures and divine pantheons of ancient civilizations, and more. It's fascinating to listen to has he compares what we know about history to this newly discovered civilization and it's sometimes vast differences, but also some similarities.

During the course of the podcast, things start to get "weird". Don't want to say much more for spoilers but it becomes pretty clear that this isn't just a reflection on an ancient civilization but somehow how this civilization is impacting us. The podcast has been out for a year so I feel we're just hitting the beginning of the overarching story so I'm not sure the direction it's going to head, but I'm really intrigued to see where it goes.

The main criticism I have is that while everything to do with the Anterran civilization is fascinating, the characters are pretty flat, except the professor where I think they've nailed how an eccentric professor would be. And if the meta narrative starts taking over more like it did The Magnus Archives, I could see myself losing interest when it's touching on the characters more than learning about this strange civilization. Also there's a conspiracy element about how the course is somehow taboo and the Chinese government is trying to clamp down on everything to do with Anterra that I don't think works well.

Still though, at least so far the vast majority of the podcast are the lectures, and all of that is completely fascinating to me.

Each episode is about 15 minutes and there's so far been 23 episodes so you can catch up pretty quick. It's a bit of a niche podcast, but if that niche fits you I think you'd love it.

theblackw0lf fucked around with this message at 21:40 on Dec 21, 2023

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Yeah, it's good stuff

Laughing Zealot
Oct 10, 2012

First two episode of the Magnus Protocol (the sequel/follow up to the Magnus Archives) are out.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Laughing Zealot posted:

First two episode of the Magnus Protocol (the sequel/follow up to the Magnus Archives) are out.

How do you do a sequel to that considering how it ended?

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

ImpAtom posted:

Magnus Podcast Universe?

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

It's pretty clearly set in an alternate universe, possibly the one the web moved to at the end of Archives, though that's just speculation on my part. There was also an ARG last year but I haven't really looked into it yet.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first two episodes. The writing of the statements is as good as ever, though I felt the horror was more implied than it was in the Archives, we'll see if it keeps being like that or if it's just a soft start thing. The meta plot characters are pretty fun so far and I'm glad they 've got their own personalities cause with this kind of sequel I'm always worried the main characters are going to be the original's main characters with the serial numbers filed off. Also the way they reuse John's and Martin's voices is funny.

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Droyer posted:

Also the way they reuse John's and Martin's voices is funny.

CYBER GHOSTS. The best kind of ghosts

Also I think the cast are a little too cutesy for now but I just know they're all gonna be emotionally broken wrecks by the end of the first season and continue to break even further so I'm all for it :allears:

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

There doesn't seem to be a Kickstarter podcast feed? Unless I'm missing something they actually expect me to manually go to a website to get my ad free episode

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Droyer posted:

It's pretty clearly set in an alternate universe, possibly the one the web moved to at the end of Archives, though that's just speculation on my part. There was also an ARG last year but I haven't really looked into it yet.

Anyway, I enjoyed the first two episodes. The writing of the statements is as good as ever, though I felt the horror was more implied than it was in the Archives, we'll see if it keeps being like that or if it's just a soft start thing. The meta plot characters are pretty fun so far and I'm glad they 've got their own personalities cause with this kind of sequel I'm always worried the main characters are going to be the original's main characters with the serial numbers filed off. Also the way they reuse John's and Martin's voices is funny.

Yeah I enjoyed it a lot although the second story in the first episode was a bit structurally awkward because of reading the username, date, time and thread title every single time. Definitely something that looked fine written down.

Agreed on the characters, and the sound of an old school PC booting up was a lovely bit of nostalgia.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Ep 1 felt pretty awkward to me with getting the setup across but I'm being nitpicky, it's not trivial to get the exposition across and that it was only awkward is still pretty good. Very curious to get on this ride, I really liked archives and loved its building metaplot stuff but havent really thought about it since it ended.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
Have to say I did enjoy it more than I thought I would - for some reason I was fully assuming that Magnus Protocols would be milking the concept way past the time it should have naturally come to an end.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

codswallop posted:

Have to say I did enjoy it more than I thought I would - for some reason I was fully assuming that Magnus Protocols would be milking the concept way past the time it should have naturally come to an end.

Despite the basic premise being the same it does feel surpringly fresh to me. It might just be because there's been a few years since Archives ended, I suppose.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

It does help that we overhear the gang from a variety of sources. Makes it seem like the whole of the new institute is already poised against them, and it isn't just the same recording media type.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Interesting too that the institute is now near Manchester instead of central London. I assume it's supposed to be another universe but I wonder why there.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

Fil5000 posted:

Interesting too that the institute is now near Manchester instead of central London. I assume it's supposed to be another universe but I wonder why there.

Maybe it’s time for them to dig deeper into the mundane areas of other cities in England rather than just focusing so much on London?

A lot of the stories from Magnus Archives were set in London - I spent the entire time listening going “oh yeah, I know that place, and there… is that the bus I get too??” and getting way too spooked out by how accurate all the geographical/cultural details were. Literally the only detail I noticed was inaccurate in the entire run was that in Episode 12 (First Aid) the nurse giving her statement never calls her hospital “Tommies”, like people working in the London hospital networks do.

That’s such a tiny little detail as well. Other parts of the country deserve the same mundane/horrifying experience.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

codswallop posted:

Maybe it’s time for them to dig deeper into the mundane areas of other cities in England rather than just focusing so much on London?

A lot of the stories from Magnus Archives were set in London - I spent the entire time listening going “oh yeah, I know that place, and there… is that the bus I get too??” and getting way too spooked out by how accurate all the geographical/cultural details were. Literally the only detail I noticed was inaccurate in the entire run was that in Episode 12 (First Aid) the nurse giving her statement never calls her hospital “Tommies”, like people working in the London hospital networks do.

That’s such a tiny little detail as well. Other parts of the country deserve the same mundane/horrifying experience.

Wow, only 16% of the population of England lives in London, I'd thought it be larger.

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!

Hughlander posted:

Wow, only 16% of the population of England lives in London, I'd thought it be larger.

Yup, 1/6th of the UK population is here. We've got more people than Scotland and Wales combined... but if you go by the UK media's representation you'd think we were 5/6ths of the country.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

London kind of distorts the rest of the UK around it. Which is actually kind of Magnus y now I think about it.

Samovar
Jun 4, 2011

I'm 😤 not a 🦸🏻‍♂️hero...🧜🏻

I have to admit, I'm finding Alice quite grating.

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

It feels like she's meant to be

DarklyDreaming
Apr 4, 2009

Fun scary

Fil5000 posted:

It feels like she's meant to be

I also feel like they're Going Somewhere with her "Don't worry about the million obvious red-flags, it's just a job" attitude

codswallop
Dec 26, 2012

BABIES EVERYWHERE!
Yeah, hopefully this is the beginning of a character arc for Alice and not her set personality. I can take people being grating, but not if the story expects me to find them endearing.

I’m taking it on trust here that she’s going to change, as Jon was also deliberately a grating personality at first (though a different “difficult” archetype)

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

She’s very clearly trying whatever the spider is in this version of the story — inuring herself to confusion by not caring to understand. I guess the question is whether that catches on or it’s a strategy that’s going to fail. I’m betting a bit of both.

Remember that the whole thing with classic Magnus was that the eye had indentured institute staff so they couldn’t leave, and the spider had inflitrated the eye to spoil its fun

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Len posted:

There doesn't seem to be a Kickstarter podcast feed? Unless I'm missing something they actually expect me to manually go to a website to get my ad free episode

You’re definitely gonna want the ad-free episodes too, it’s loving five minutes before and after. Eat poo poo, Acast

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
Acast is a loving pox.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I think for anything with Acast I just set my podcaster to skip the first and last 3 minutes of each episode and it becomes shockingly tolerable.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Did Dead Signals ever release 'Wavelength'? I can't find it online and only thing I see about it was from 2 years ago that it's coming in Feb.

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hughlander posted:

Did Dead Signals ever release 'Wavelength'? I can't find it online and only thing I see about it was from 2 years ago that it's coming in Feb.

Not so far as I can tell. Their patreon has a post from July with an update (can't afford to subscribe right now to see what it is) but that's the last communication I can find about anything from them, Wavelength or otherwise. If it dropped patreon only I figured there would at least be something there, even if I couldn't see what it is.

I sincerely can't wait for literally anything they're doing. I assume that Archive 81 is dead forever, either because Netflix has the rights to it or they're so soured by the experience with Netflix that they're not going to go back. At least it didn't end on a cliffhanger, even if I desperately want more.

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Azathoth posted:

Not so far as I can tell. Their patreon has a post from July with an update (can't afford to subscribe right now to see what it is) but that's the last communication I can find about anything from them, Wavelength or otherwise. If it dropped patreon only I figured there would at least be something there, even if I couldn't see what it is.

I sincerely can't wait for literally anything they're doing. I assume that Archive 81 is dead forever, either because Netflix has the rights to it or they're so soured by the experience with Netflix that they're not going to go back. At least it didn't end on a cliffhanger, even if I desperately want more.

That's so weird. Wonder if it's something with Netflix contracts. They posted, "Hey in 3 weeks we're dropping a 10 episode season" and then nothing for 2 years?

Azathoth
Apr 3, 2001

Hughlander posted:

That's so weird. Wonder if it's something with Netflix contracts. They posted, "Hey in 3 weeks we're dropping a 10 episode season" and then nothing for 2 years?

Yeah, the whole thing smacks of some kind of bullshit like that, and I'd say that's as good of a guess as any.

Antitonic
Sep 24, 2011

Invented By Gandhi
Qwerpline is back for Season 3: https://youtu.be/7PLQqaoSkN8

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

Azathoth posted:

Len posted:

The Archive 81 patreon posted an update for the first time in years so I gave them a dollar to see it.

Not entirely sure why that had to be behind a paywall, but hey it's not a bad time to go through all their stuff again

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

Hey in better(?) news, Terry Miles has a feature film coming https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28015371/ staring Felicity Smoak as calamity jane, and Oliver Queen as Wild Bill...

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

Hughlander posted:

Hey in better(?) news, Terry Miles has a feature film coming https://www.imdb.com/title/tt28015371/ staring Felicity Smoak as calamity jane, and Oliver Queen as Wild Bill...

Wonder how he'll cope with telling a complete story in one go with no opportunity to pad the run time with recaps of previous bits and teases for future bits

AstroZamboni
Mar 8, 2007

Smoothing the Ice on Europa since 1997!

Hughlander posted:

He's made several. Dude was making mediocre movies before he was making mediocre podcasts.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hughlander
May 11, 2005

AstroZamboni posted:

He's made several. Dude was making mediocre movies before he was making mediocre podcasts.

My bad, I thought they were all shorts, this looks like something that may see a theater outside of a festival circuit.