Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

Bareback Werewolf posted:

Is it legal to hunt Canadian Geese? I have a hunting license and on the test they asked whether it was legal to hunt Canadian Geese and I said yes but I honestly don't know. My father's friend gave me the test and I honestly think he passed me because of my father.

Apparently you can get licenses to hunt them and if you own land you can get a special permit to do anything to get them off the land like kill all the geese and then smash all the eggs. We've hosed with the ecosystem to the point they're way overpopulated and if we don't shoot a whole bunch there will be even more.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

extra stout posted:

It's a confusing topic no one seems to agree upon in terms of government and law, I would guess this could be because some think their migration is vital, they're on the Canadian money or some poo poo, but then many find them to be an invasive species. This isn't entirely uncommon, but it is weird to imagine some counties gassing geese then others having to pay 10 dollars to shoot a few a year, make up your minds scientists who sleep at their new government jobs

From a quick Google it looks like a classic case of too many government rules and not enough time/money to figure them out. The geese are at once covered under the criteria for invasive species and require a cull, but also protected under the Migratory Birds Act and no one's really changed it. Parks and Conservation Canada or whatever department it fell under was pretty gutted under the last government and the new Prime Minister couldn't possibly advocate for killing animals publicly so it's going to stay like this forever.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
GooseChat reminded me of a goose cull story and the cheapest way to kill them. My old man worked in a furniture plant run by Mennonites. Part of some deal they had with the Mennonite brotherhood is that they would help bring in Mennos from South America. A few of them had...issues...adjusting to the Canadian way of life, which is to say they were not used to the tyranny imposed by regulation.

So, an old menno guy and one of his sons are experiencing their first Canadian spring, wherein all the geese come back. They're living in a house in a nicer new development with one of the guy's other kids who'd lived in Canada for a while now. If you're not from a flood plain you might not be familiar with drainage ponds. They're a low point in a development that fills up with water so it doesn't flood your basement. For whatever reason they're supposed to be desirable to live near as it's ~urban lake front living~ if your lake was a shallow pool of filthy groundwater. It's goose paradise basically.

So the two new immigrants see all these geese who totally lost their fear of humans, and they come up with a plan. They hammer in some stakes and roll out chickenwire so it's like a big flat net juuust slightly higher than goose neck height. On top of the wire they chuck all kinds of bits of bread and veggies. So the idiot geese reach through the netting by jamming their heads in, but since their necks are fully extended they become stuck. So next thing the two guys do is just get some garden shears and start decapitating geese.

Apparently they got into tons of poo poo when a Conservation officer came by after someone called in about a goosocaust happening and were found with a freezer completely full of geese.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
One time in late May I was longboarding down one of the three hills in my city and I didn't realize until after I'd committed to the drop that the entire tail end of the slope was covered in goose poo poo. I could either bail and definitely get poo poo all over me or just tough it out and see what happens. I ended up getting finely misted with moist goose poo poo that came off the wheels. Not a great day.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
it was like 200 metres of pure goose poo poo, I tried to slalom at first and it kind of worked but it was just too much

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
LOL you're not even allowed to fly a drone unless it's a crazy lightweight one anywhere near a city/town without a license and flight plan and all kinds of poo poo.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Tannerite is fine. Go far enough North and I'm sure you could drop barrels full of tannerite onto geese from a float plane

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
The drone IED idea is so wasteful. It's exactly the kind of thinking that loses wars. So you're out at least $20 per goose for supplies, assuming you successfully reuse the drone. There are too many geese, infinite geese. You can't spend that kind of money per goose. Get the homeless together, tell them whoever brings you the most dead geese by the end of the day will get a hot meal.

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
where the gently caress is bushman, I wanna hear his take on this spear vs. IED idea

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe

mind the walrus posted:

Geese are up there with mosquitos, ticks, bed bugs, centipedes, and possums as animals I would happily see go extinct provided nothing worse would rise up in their place. Gas 'em, explode 'em, drone 'em, gently caress 'em to death, read them a bedtime story, I don't care just get rid of them.

gently caress you bud, possums are rad. They eat ticks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

autism ZX spectrum
Feb 8, 2007

by Lowtax
Fun Shoe
Just leave him alone with the geese for 10 minutes.

• Locked thread