Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Penn State will win most, but not all, of the games.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Hippo
Aug 8, 2004

The Something Awful Forums > The Finer Arts > Batman's Shameful Secret > BSS Derailed Thread: Spider-Island

Ole Miss will not play in a bowl game this season.

Hotty dang toddy.

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

I appreciate reading the post of another UGA connoisseur :clint:

:cheers:

Most of the UGA people I'm seeing online are of the same mind on this team. There's no way we'll be disappointed now! (run off the field by Appy)

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
ALABAMA

TEXAS

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

I had a spergy long writeup about Houston and lost it. Better that way really. So here's the brief version -

The bad:
Tom Herman and all his assistants leaving
The season collapsing from October on
No running game whatsoever
Greg Ward Jr graduated
So did two drat good defensive backs
So did one drat good linebacker
That guy who stunk up Miami's defense is the new defensive coordinator

The good:
Major Applewhite got the head coaching job and not Lincoln Riley, because what UH needed was more coaching turnover
Intergalactic exchange student Ed Oliver still goes to UH
Both D and O lines come back intact
Good linebackers too
Always plenty of receivers to throw to
The schedule has no Oklahomas or Louisvilles this year

The scary:
New QB Kyle Allen, who hasn't done much since a runin with Bama
So much coaching turnover in the American there's no idea who will be any good
The first three games involve teams who are going to play UH like it's their Super Bowl, then there's Texas Tech and Temple.
The RB1 Duke Catalon is made of glass
I've got a bad feeling about this season.

Schedule -

@ UT San Antonio - A cupcake on paper but one that blew UH out three years ago...but UTSA has degraded since. Still this is their Super Bowl and the usual tryhard upset chance applies - 75%

@ Arizona - The Wildcats are a mess, RichRod is probably gone in December, and their already bad defense is gutted. Still, being a P5 they'll have more talent. - 66%

vs Rice - See the UTSA games, except every 10 or so years Rice upsets UH. It's been seven since. 75%

vs Texas Tech - Well this ought to be a boring affair with both teams very uninterested. (Watch this one) 50%

@ Temple - They're breaking in a new coach too but just like UH they've still got a good defense. Another toss up. 50%

vs SMU - gently caress a Pony forever. With no Big 12 letdown distracting it'll be time to put Chad Morris on the hot seat. 75%

@ Tulsa - Just like last year, Baylor Junior is going to put that defense to work. If the defensive backs aren't up to task by then it's going to be a loss. 50%

vs Memphis - Mike Norvell's on the way up as is Memphis. Expecting another very close game. 50%

vs East Carolina - Should have hung on to Ruffin, guys. 75%

@ South Florida - If USF is as good as advertised this should actually be a walk for USF. Much more physical and should continue to do so with Charlie Strong. 33%

@ Tulane - At this point in the year we'll know if Tulane's ever going to be able to get a program together. I'm betting on no. 66%

vs Navy - Because that rushing defense holds down that triple option so well. 33%

So...

Best case - Little to no dropoff post-Herman. Kyle Allen goes back to being the pre-Bama Kyle Allen, has plenty of big receivers to feed the ball, they find a RB2, and the new defense gels in San Antonio or Tucson. 9-3 and setting up for another run at a New Years Six bowl.

Worst case - UTSA, Arizona, and Rice all play out of their minds and upset the Coogs. Kyle Allen impresses nobody. Kliff revives his career with an impressive win. Temple, Tulsa, and Memphis are all complete disasters and the season is a total loss as clock runs out and SMU wins again. An embarrassing blowout to South Florida seals the fate for Major Applewhite's short head coaching career. 2-10

Realistic case - Drop one of Arizona and Tech, two of Temple, Memphis, Tulsa, and Navy, and write off the USF game. Add the usual team the Coogs have no business losing against and we get 7-5...which is going to heat Applewhite's seat.

Playoffs -
Sugar - Alabama over Florida State
Rose - Ohio State over USC
College Super Bowl IV - Ohio State over Alabama

Next four - Texas (you read right), Clemson, San Diego State, Wisconsin

AAC winner - South Florida over Memphis
G5 NY6 rep - San Diego State

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:08 on Jul 27, 2017

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Alabama and FSU both in the playoffs might be tricky.

korrandark
Jan 5, 2009

Randaconda posted:

If they play a close game, and then go on to win their conferences they will both be in. Losses early are more easily forgiven than losses late.

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

korrandark posted:

If they play a close game, and then go on to win their conferences they will both be in. Losses early are more easily forgiven than losses late.

True, and they both, on paper at least, have pretty tough schedules, so that always helps.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
"It's good we made a bad hire because now no one will steal our coach" is definitely a unique take

dirty shrimp money
Jan 8, 2001

Randaconda posted:

Tricky but no more tricky than any other scenario as long as it's the only loss FSU takes - and I think it will be.

The trickier part is having a one-loss Pac-12 champion that is going to make the Rose Bowl howl for the Big10-Pac12 matchup. I think USC is up to the task - if Texas is as good as I think it will be (ask me what makes me think this) then USC's non-conference schedule is really nice and can forgive one loss in the Pac 12. The trickiest part then is the CFP allowing a rematch and not giving into the intense lobby to put that really good Texas at #4 instead.

dirty shrimp money fucked around with this message at 15:36 on Jul 27, 2017

a neat cape
Feb 22, 2007

Aw hunny, these came out GREAT!

Korranus posted:

Next four - Texas (you read right), Clemson, San Diego State, Wisconsin

AAC winner - South Florida over Memphis
G5 NY6 rep - San Diego State

I like you

John Brown
Jul 10, 2009

DJExile posted:

this is phenomenal

Same

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Kansas Jayhawks

12-0

buddhanc
Feb 16, 2010

Probably Magic posted:

Kansas Jayhawks

12-0

The only thing I know for sure about this season is that Herman is going to try to drop 100 on you guys.

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.

buddhanc posted:

The only thing I know for sure about this season is that Herman is going to try to drop 100 on you guys.

Texas is in a rebuilding year, they'll only be able to put up 76.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

I hope Texas loses to Kansas by the exact same score as last season.

I. M. Gei
Jun 26, 2005

CHIEFS

BITCH

Somebody else do a Texas writeup before me. My writeups tend to be hopelessly optimistic.

Edward Mass
Sep 14, 2011

𝅘𝅥𝅮 I wanna go home with the armadillo
Good country music from Amarillo and Abilene
Friendliest people and the prettiest women you've ever seen
𝅘𝅥𝅮

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Somebody else do a Texas writeup before me. My writeups tend to be hopelessly optimistic.

FINE.

The Texas Longhorns are the football team of the school I took a few summer classes at, so I have some claim to them. As a citizen of Austin, I am emendated with Longhorn news.

vs. Maryland - W
vs. San Jose State - W
at Southern California - L
at Iowa State - W
vs. Kansas State - W
N Oklahoma - W
vs. Oklahoma State - L
at Baylor - W
at TCU - L
vs. Kansas - W
at West Virginia - W
vs. Texas Tech - W

Best case: 11-1, CAKE IS BAKED
Worst case: 6-6, and a loss in a bowl game
Most likely case: 8 or 9 wins

Scionix
Oct 17, 2009

hoog emm xDDD
heres my texas writeup: we're probaly gonna lose four or five games and hom terman is going to kiss osme dudes. david ashb tich

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
The 2017 Michigan Wolverines

Big year for the Maize and Blue, as Michigan Man Jim Harbaugh is in year three! With rivals at home, and an experienced QB, a big year is coming for Michigan!

GOOD THINGS: DL Rashan Gary will have a bigger role up front with Mo Hurst, as Michigan replenishes a defense with Harbaugh's recruits, while QB Wilton Speight will lead an inexperienced offense full off top fight recruits. Also, Michigan's head coach is once again Jim Harbaugh, no better coach in the nation, in terms of pure coaching and intensity.

BAD THINGS: 17 guys went to the NFL, including 11 draft picks, more than any other school. All-Americans Jabrill Peppers, Jake Butt, and Jourdan Lewis are gone, along with 10 of 11 defensive starters. Also, I still have to spend a Saturday watching Michigan play Rutgers.

MAJOR LOSSES: LB Jabrill Peppers, CB Jourdan Lewis, CB Channing Stribling, DE Taco Charlton, DT Ryan Glasgow, TE Jake Butt, WR Amara Darboh, WR Jehu Chesson, RB De'Veon Smith.

Sep 2 vs Florida - W. If Jim McElwain can't keep his cool when deflecting discussion away from his sharkfucking, there's no way he can outduel Jim Harbaugh on a neutral site.
Sep 9 Cincinnati - W. This will be a win, as Michigan's depth starts to show over an overmatched Cincinnati team.
Sep16 Air Force - W. Don Brown's defense contains the fun and unique Air Force offense, and Michigan wins a game that seems close after the first quarter.
Sep23 at Purdue - W. This will be a win, not much to explain.
Oct 7 Michigan State - W. This will be a blowout win, setting the tone for the next decade-plus of this matchup. Michigan is just too powerful for Michigan State, especially after MSU got even weaker after last year.
Oct14 at Indiana - W. Indiana fired Tom Crean, Jim Harbaugh's brother-in-law. This game is in Indiana. Will Jim keep the playcalling brisk, to run up the score to embarrass a school that made itself a family enemy. Yes, absolutely.
Oct21 at Penn State - W. Michigan blew out Penn State last year, and the Nittany Lions played well beyond their skill towards the end of last year. Michigan always beats up on Penn State, that will hold true to form.
Oct28 Rutgers - W. No need for explanation.
Nov 4 Minnesota - W. Michigan hangs onto the Little Brown Jug, outpacing a scrappy Gopher team in the second half.
Nov11 at Maryland - W. While there is respect of DJ Durkin, a former Harbaugh assistant, Michigan wins comfortably.
Nov18 at Wisconsin - W. A night game in Madison ends with Michigan winning by four.
Nov25 Ohio State - W. Michigan wins with the last score of the game, and a defensive stop to seal the victory.
Dec 2 Big Ten Championship - W. Holding off the pesky northwestern wildcat, Michigan wins by two touchdowns to seal a berth in the Rose Bowl.
Jan 1 Rose Bowl - W. Michigan returns to Pasadena by blowing out USC, as God intended.
Jan 8 CFP National Championship - W. Michigan wins its first national championship in 20 years with a close but comfortable victory, ending the game with Harbaugh's playcalling outdueling Nick Saban.

15-0, national championship, Wilton Speight nominated for the Heisman.

AsInHowe fucked around with this message at 04:40 on Jul 29, 2017

R.D. Mangles
Jan 10, 2004

lmao

AsInHowe
Jan 11, 2007

red winged angel
BONUS PREVIEW:

2017 Michigan State Spartans

That fell apart much quicker than expected!

GOOD THINGS: It isn't 2016, and there's not much further down that Michigan State can go.

BAD THINGS: Every highly-touted recruit somehow got arrested for sexual assault and kicked off the team, recruiting tanked, and Penn State retook Michigan State's spot of The Third Team In The Big Ten East That Isn't Michigan or Ohio State.

MAJOR LOSSES: DL Malik McDowell, DB Montae Nicholson, LB Riley Bullough, TE Josiah Price, Larry Nassar MD

Sep 2 Bowling Green - L
Sep 9 Western Michigan - L
Sep23 Notre Dame - L
Sep30 Iowa - L
Oct 7 at Michigan - L
Oct14 at Minnesota - L
Oct21 Indiana - L
Oct28 at Northwestern - L
Nov 4 Penn State - L
Nov11 at Ohio State - L
Nov18 Maryland - L
Nov25 at Rutgers - W

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Texas A&M

8-5

Nick Starkel, Kellen Mond, and Jake Hubenack all get at least one start

General Dog fucked around with this message at 18:28 on Jul 29, 2017

Judgy Fucker
Mar 24, 2006

General Dog posted:

Texas A&M

8-5

So does Sumlin get fired mid- or post-season?

Duckaerobics
Jul 22, 2007

Lipstick Apathy
Auburn

Auburn is in an interesting position this season. I want to believe Auburn will go undefeated and four of their players will share the Heisman (QB, 2RBs, and the kicker). Realistically I think they go 10-2. Auburn returns most of it's talent on offense and defense. The biggest issue they have is depth in the secondary. Stidham is almost guaranteed to take the starting QB job from White, and White will make a much better backup than Auburn has had in a while. Despite the QB hype and the change in OC, Auburn will still be a majority run team. probably 60-65%. Pettway will get over a thousand yards on the ground and Kerryon Johnson will have close to a thousand.

Schedule
vs Georgia Southern - Win, but it could be a more difficult game than people think if they have gone back to the triple option.
@ Clemson - Toss up, Clemson lost their QB, but should still have a great defense. Never easy to play the defending National Champion at home.
vs Mercer - Win, should be an easy game.
@ Missouri - Win, I think Auburn is the better team and wins this game, but I think Missouri is going to be better than people expect. They have one of the better QB's in the SEC and this will be the first time Auburn has played there.
vs Miss State - Win, Auburn won last year, and while I think both teams get better Auburn stays ahead.
vs Ole Miss - Win, Potential trap game, but I think Ole Miss is going to end up falling apart this season.
@ LSU - Toss up, Auburn hasn't won at LSU since 99. I think Auburn could be good enough to get it done this year, and I'm not completely sold on DaCoachO. That said their new OC could put up some big numbers with all the talent they have.
@ Ark - Win, It won't be a blowout like last year, but I think Auburn gets it done.
@ aTm - Win, The away team has won every game in this series and I think that streak continues. Sumlin gets fired if he hasn't been already.
vs UGA - Toss up, Gus has not done well against Georgia, but Auburn would have won the game last year if they didn't attempt any passes. I'm not really sold on Smart as a head coach. He can obviously recruit, but the team was very inconsistent last year.
vs ULM - Win, Easy game that will hopefully be a needed break for some starters.
vs Bama - Toss up, Auburn has done better against Alabama at home, but they should be a good team and this will probably decide the West.

So my prediction is 10-2 with Auburn loosing 2 out of Clemson, LSU, UGA, and Bama. The interesting thing to me is I think there is a definite chance Auburn could go 10-2 and fire Gus if those losses are to UGA and Bama.

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

KKKLIP ART posted:

UGA gonna win the natty y'all go dawgs sic'um

No you won't.

You'll live forever tormented knowing that Clemson won two titles since your last....and those titles were 35 years apart.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.

Duckaerobics posted:

The interesting thing to me is I think there is a definite chance Auburn could go 10-2 and fire Gus if those losses are to UGA and Bama.

Ah, the old Mark Richt treatment.

pillsburysoldier
Feb 11, 2008

Yo, peep that shit

FSU goes undefeated and everyone celebrates and Ohio State is liquidated following dozens of RICO takedowns due to Urban Meyer's clandestine support of Assad via organized crime

Randaconda
Jul 3, 2014

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

pillsburysoldier posted:

FSU goes undefeated and everyone celebrates and Ohio State is liquidated following dozens of RICO takedowns due to Urban Meyer's clandestine support of Assad via organized crime

Also. Gators only win one games vs. Tennessee, spoiling the Vols chance to win the East.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

Texas A&M Aggies

Last year left a lot to be desired. We started off okay, but after making GBS threads away the lead in the Tennessee game, I think some of us saw the writing on the wall (despite the fact that we won that game). The defense was pretty bad, but the offense had trouble sustaining drives and, more often than not, went 3 and out. Trevor Knight helped stop the runaway locker room attrition which had plagued us the previous few years, but whether his influence is lasting-- we'll see.

The Good

Christian Kirk returns. We finally have some solid running backs who, with what should be improved o line play, should be able to make our offense a little less one-dimensional (and take pressure off of the QB). On defense, the pass rush will take a step back, but DL play will likely be a lot better.

The Bad

Offense: we couldn't string together consistent drives last year (see bow game vs. Kansas St.), and, from what I hear about Mazzone at UCLA, I'm not confident that's going to change. Myles and Mack are gone. Receiver corps since Morehead came on has been really bad with sloppy route running and dropping catches. Also, we have three QBs.

Schedule:
@UCLA: L. Going pure gut feeling on this one.
Nicholls St.: W
Louisiana-Lafayette: W
Arkansas: W maybe? We've barely scraped by against them recently. This one could go either way, especially since they have a qb
South Carolina: W
Bama: L
@Florida: L
MSU: W
Auburn: L
New Mexico: W
@Ole Miss: L. I think we go 1 for 2 on the Mississippis this year.
@LSU: L we got clobbered by dacoacho last year imagine how bad it'll be when he's had the whole season

Record: 6-6.

Ceiling: 9-3 if we beat Auburn, UCLA, maybe Fla and both Mississippis. I'd love to see Sumlin pull the team out of this rut and establish some stability.

Basement: 5-7? We could very well lose to MSU and either Arky or SC.

Cnidario
Mar 22, 2013

TipTow posted:

So does Sumlin get fired mid- or post-season?

If he has the same late season swoon, post season. If he loses to Louisiana Lafayette, mid.

KKKLIP ART
Sep 3, 2004

LeeMajors posted:

No you won't.

You'll live forever tormented knowing that Clemson won two titles since your last....and those titles were 35 years apart.

counterpoint: them dawgs is hell don't they

Scarf
Jun 24, 2005

On sight
:siren: YOUR DEFENDING 2016 NATIONAL CHAMPION CLEMSON TIGERS :siren:

Kent State W The biggest beat-down to ever happen to Kent State, occurring off-campus.

Auburn W Most likely a night game, in Clemson... If it was an away game, I'd be worried.

@Louisville Toss-Up Louisville is gonna be playing with a chip on their shoulder. They'll score early... But Clemson will be able to hang.

Boston College W BC is always a few years away from a great team. I think they're still a few years away...

@Virginia Tech Toss-Up VT will have something to prove this season, they're hungry. See the results of Louisville above though.

Wake Forest W Nothing personal, I like you Wake. This will only make you stronger.

@Syracuse W I'm sure they're going to be saying how their lack of A/C will be our downfall again :jerkbag:

Bye

Georgia Tech W GT and their drat triple option... But as long as Venables is our DC, I'm confident we can handle it.

@NC State W Another huge chip on their shoulder due to last year's almost-upset. I don't think they have the talent though.

FSU L Not even a chip... FSU mad about last year. They're def more seasoned that us at this point. I hate admitting a home loss... It'll be close tho.

The Citadel W Take your relic of the old south wannabe-military school and shove it up your rear end :patriot:

South Carolina W :byewhore:

Best Case: Clemson runs the table and makes it to the CFP again. More of an up-hill battle this year, but it can be done.
Worst Case: 8-4 or 7-5. Our inexperience at key positions will have us teetering on the edge of mediocrity all season.
Likely Case: 10-2 or 11-1. Inexperience but great talent... We'll have a great season, just not as great as last year.

Scarf fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Jul 30, 2017

Jordanis
Jul 11, 2006

Oregon Fighting Willies:

gently caress, who knows. I'm going to go with 8-4 overall, with definite losses to Washington and Stanford, and two more of Nebraska, Wazzu, Utah, and whichever of the Arizona schools is better this year.

At that level, Pac-12 bowl tie ins are a clusterfuck and we may be laughably overmatched or laughably undermatched.

MourningView
Sep 2, 2006

Is this Heaven?
Pretty sure both Arizona schools are gonna be serious trash this year

blugu64
Jul 17, 2006

Do you realize that fluoridation is the most monstrously conceived and dangerous communist plot we have ever had to face?

Dr. Gitmo Moneyson posted:

Longhorns v Cowboys in the Super Bowl

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Like any other years, the University of Florida Fighting Sharkfuckers will probably be ballah on defense, mediocre on offense.

We will win the east, and then let Saban gently but convincingly turn us inside-out on the artificial turf in Atlanta.

Sunrise, sunset.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

MourningView posted:

Pretty sure both Arizona schools are gonna be serious trash this year

Yep. I get the feeling RichRod was already on a short leash and now there's a new AD. Graham is already really missing Mike Norvell and I doubt he's long for that job either.

Kim Jong Il
Aug 16, 2003
Rutgers

Washington - L
Eastern Michigan - W
Morgan State - W
@Nebraska - L
Ohio State - L
@Illinois - tossup - we're better than them, and the game last year was really fluky.
Purdue - W - and it won't be particularly close. Not an indictment of Brohm, he just inherited nothing.
@Michigan - L
Maryland - tossup - Durkin inherited a lot more than Ash, but they were secretly really bad last year.
@PSU - L
@Indiana - tossup - they're going to fall off a loving cliff.
MSU - tossup - yes they skullfucked us last year, but they were horrible otherwise. On paper they lost a ton.

Rutgers will play a bunch of freshmen who will be way more athletic than the garbage Kyle Flood players from last year, but won't have any idea what they're doing. The most likely scenario, with a ton of variance, is they'll show signs of life in the second half of the season, and will be passable in 2018.

The one game I see as sneakily competitive is Nebraska, who I don't think very much of. I also see PSU coming down to earth, but we don't have a chance there.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mouse Cadet
Mar 19, 2009

All aboard the McEltrain
Next Stop: Atlanta
Florida Gators

Michigan (Arlington) - L - Close game for 3 quarters but Michigan pulls away in the 4th to win by 10
Northern Colorado - W - Traditional sacrificial home opener
Tennessee - W - Gators win a close game with a late field goal set up by a pick
@ Kentucky - W - Streak hits 31 years
Vanderbilt - W - Might be close?
LSU - W - Toss up, but its at home and Florida seems to have some voodoo magic against LSU
Texas A&M - L - Another toss up. With Sumlin's job on the line the Aggies pull out the road upset
Georgia (Jax) - W - After Georgia scores a touchdown on its opening drive, the entire Dawg bench rushes the end zone and performs the shark hump dance. A fired up Gator team goes puts on an offense showcase scoring 3 field goals and wins 9-7.
@Missouri - W - Gators grind out a road win
@South Carolina - W - gently caress Muschamp
UAB - W - The Blazer's Back from the Dead tour swings through Gainesville to pick up a fat check and probably a whoopin
FSU - L - Probably another blow out. Maybe Florida can score an offensive touchdown for the first time in 3 years?

Best Case - 11-3, loss to FSU, SEC W champ, and NYC 6 bowl game
Worst Case - 6-7 L to UM, Tennessee, LSU, A&M, Georgia, and FSU. Lose bottom tier bowl game to AAC opponent.
Most Likely - 10-3 L to UM, A&M or LSU, and FSU. Beat a B10 team in the Outback Bowl.

• Locked thread