Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

I'll be another one for Your University of Georgia Bulldogs

LAST SEASON
Transitional year with a new staff, freshman QB, atrocious OL, hype RBs who just weren't as great as they used to be, and WRs that were either 4'11" or couldn't catch the ball. I predicted 7-5 going into the year and Georgia...was 7-5, albeit in the weirdest way possible. Should've beaten Tennessee, should've beaten Georgia Tech, but also should've lost to Missouri, and could've lost to Kentucky and SWEET BABY JESUS Nicholls State, in the worst game I've ever seen Georgia play ever. This was a bad team to watch on TV, a bad team to watch in person, though one that still beat Auburn, which lol. Kirby Smart recruits like a beast but the jury's still out on him from a gameday perspective, something our nutso fanbase will tolerate a slow learning curve with HAHAHAHAHA no they won't. Defense was occasionally great, offense was normally bad, special teams were as lousy as they ever were in the Richt Era, even with a dedicated ST coach. There seems to be much much more momentum for UGA as a program off the field than on it, and it's here where I note that Urban Meyer's first championship came with Ron Zook's players, so watch yourself Kirby.

THIS GUY WILL PROBABLY BE FIRED AFTER 2017
Offensive coordinator Jim Chaney. The charitable reading of him is that he wasn't able to do what Kirby wanted well because the OL was the scrapheap that Richt left behind, but if Georgia's going to be throwing Bama money at coordinators and assistants and ballboys and such, the OC better have a higher ceiling than "OK, I guess, when he has the players."

PLAYERS TO KNOW
RBs Nick Chubb and Sony Michel both enter their 9th year in Athens, and both appear to be 100% healthy at the same time for the first time since the 2014 opener. This means that ACLs will soon be torn and weed will soon be smoked. QB Jacob Eason had a better season last year than Matt Stafford did in his first two, but Georgia fans are gonna Georgia fan, so people are clamoring to see the new shiny freshman QB, Jake Fromm. That'll do well for Eason's confidence. OLB Lorenzo Carter is still in Athens, still showing first-round-draft-pick potential every 6th play or so. DT Trent Thompson is good, and hopefully will be good to go after a weird drug reaction (OD? who knows...nobody's talking) episode in the offseason. Safety Dominick Sanders is another one of those he's still here? types who could set the UGA interception record in his senior year. This team's a weird mix of youth and guys who have been here forever.

THE SCHEDULE, CHANCES OF WINNING
Appalachian State – Jesus, why. Great opener, guys, reaaaaal smart. I would say at least it's a night game, but ask Tennessee how that worked out last season. 80%
@ Notre Dame – Ha ha, Notre Dame was 4-8 and lost to Duke and NC State last season, but it was a highly unlucky 4-8, and I don't think Brian Kelly's unlearned how to coach, enormous jackass or not. Road game, night game. Tough. 40%
Samford – Spoiler alert: UGA's home schedule is just the pits. In light of this, they've raised the ticket prices. Our AD is awesome. This should be 100% but again, and forever, GEORGIA ALMOST LOST TO NICHOLLS STATE LAST SEASON 95%
Mississippi State – Overrated journeyman DC and big ol' horse's rear end Todd Grantham makes his return to Athens; the last time Georgia faced him was in the '14 Belk Bowl where Georgia's TE coach called plays after Bobo left and Nick Chubb ran for about 300 yards. State does more with less, but sans Dak it's not that much more. 75%
@ Tennessee – I have been in the stands for Georgia's Hail Mary loss to Auburn, Georgia's Hail Mary loss to Tennessee, and also Devon Gales getting paralyzed; clearly I should stop going to games. From 2011-2014 Georgia sneaked out wins over UT and our bill to Satan was overdue I guess. UT should be demoted to the Sun Belt until they fix their ACL-massacring, WWI trench-cosplaying turf. 35%
@ Vanderbilt – Oh, I was also in the stands for this turd last season. Georgia let Vandy have exactly one (1) offensive drive of any heft and lost anyway, see: "This Guy Will Probably Be Fired After 2017." UGA usually plays terribly in Nashville, so expect a baffling 1-score...win, hopefully. 70%
Missouri – I forget who it was, but someone on the tweets said UGA's win in Columbia last season was like holding up a bank with a banana labeled "GUN." Sorry Mizzou, but you owed us for 2014. I figure home field takes it; hopefully a more watchable affair than 2015's 9-6 Schottenheimerfart. 70%
Florida @ Jacksonville – There's no use talking about this one anymore. 0.1%
South Carolina – UGA/USC last year was exactly the type of game that gives Kirby a stiffy. The offenses didn't really move the ball, the defense looked good, Georgia had about two long drives, special teams made a nice play, and that was enough. Also, it was short, and oddly drama-less given UGA's struggles in Williams-Brice. Muschamp was a lowkey good coach last season, but still, 65%
@ Auburn – Scratch that, this was the game that gave Kirby a stiffy last season. 13-7, no offensive scores for the Dawgs, and Auburn didn't have a first down in the second half. Richt quietly kinda owned Auburn other than a couple Hail Marys and a generational talent in Cam, and even UGA in its lowest point of the season made the Tigers look uuuuugly. I'm still going with the home team, but if UGA's got some big mo the second half of the year, we'll see. Auburn's got a tough back end to their schedule. 40%
Kentucky – Last year's win in the now-minted Kroger Field (snicker) saved UGA's season from really going off the rails; UK hasn't been good enough lately to do anything other than put up an honorable fight in a clear loss in Athens. 80%
@ Georgia Tech – Georgia was up 13 with the ball at midfield with about 10 or so minutes left last season and lost anyway, see: "This Guy Will Probably Be Fired After 2017." My first year at UGA was 2001 and the Dawgs have never lost to Tech in Atlanta as long as I've been a fan. Kirby knows what not to do, I would hope. 65%

BEST CASE
SEC East title, trip to Atlanta to get dumptrucked by Saban. We will also accept barely losing the division but getting a NY6 bowl anyway. Like the 2014 team was going to do until Richt called for a squib kick against Tech...there were legitimate tangible reasons why he was fired, people. Whether or not Kirby is the answer going forward depends on stuff like avoiding...

WORST CASE
Another 7-5 stinker with unwatchable offense and we're back to the Liberty Bowl.

LIKELY CASE
8-4/9-3, OK bowl, setting the stage for a must-be-awesome 2018.

D.N. Nation fucked around with this message at 22:32 on Jul 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

HannibalBarca posted:

I appreciate reading the post of another UGA connoisseur :clint:

:cheers:

Most of the UGA people I'm seeing online are of the same mind on this team. There's no way we'll be disappointed now! (run off the field by Appy)

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

LeeMajors posted:

No you won't.

You'll live forever tormented knowing that Clemson won two titles since your last....and those titles were 35 years apart.

Only the super old fart UGA fans dislike Clemson; I was certainly rooting for them against Bama.

I'll live forever tormented knowing that the Dawgs massacred Clemson in 2014, but of those two ships passing in the night, it was UGA who was heading for the waterfall.

2014 UGA scoring average: 40.5 ppg
2016 UGA most points scored in a game all season: 35

D.N. Nation
Feb 1, 2012

General Dog posted:

9/9 Nicholls State - W

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHjlM5A1jME

• Locked thread