Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
I wanted to resist doing Nebraska; it's not so much about the schedule, but rather not having a clue what this team is capable of.

On offense, QB Tanner Lee could be a capable game manager — hell, maybe he is a future 5th round draft pick — but who the fuuuuuck knows. Looks like RB by committee, as Terrell Newby has graduated. Six of our 10 leading receivers from last season are gone, too. The line ... will probably be OK, I think.

On the other side, Bob Diaco, who I thought was a really good hire, is switching to a 3-4. I don't know if we have the depth up front for a smooth transition; we'll see. We had one of the better secondaries in the B1G before CB Chris Jones tore his meniscus a couple weekends ago.

*Deep breath, swig of gin*

9/2 Arkansas State — W, though I doubt it'll be comfortable

9/9 @ Oregon — Tossup, because who the hell knows what Oregon will do this season, too

9/16 N. Illinois — W

9/23 Rutgers — W

9/29 @ Illinois — :siren: FRIDAY NIGHT LIGHTS :siren: Oh who cares, gonna still say W

10/7 Wisconsin — L; even though this one's gone down to the wire the past couple of years, they'll be the better team

10/14 Ohio State — L Ouch

10/28 @ Purdue — W I figure Brohm won't have gotten it figured out by now

11/4 Northwestern — W, keeping the division's coveted second place slot up in the air for another week, maybe

11/11 @ Minnesota — Tossup, speaking of coaches having figured things out by now ... not sure what to make of this team, either.

11/18 @ Penn State — L; I have my doubts they'll be able to recreate last year's magic but still a good team in a lovely place to play

11/24 Iowa — like MV said, we're probably due for a win, but I'm calling tossup depending on what/if we have anything to play for at this point.

Best case: 10-2 and a potential backing-into of the CCG, depending on Wisky's season
Worst case: Total disarray, 4-8, a new AD and a Scott Frost homecoming.
Hold a gun to my head and I'll say: 7-5

Real Name Grover fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Aug 8, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
The counter to which has been "Yeah, but it was Tulane."

My fear is that he struggles enough in October that the pressure builds to start RS Frosh/almost-but-not-quite-blue-chipper Patrick O'Brien, who couldn't beat out Lee in the spring but has UPSIDE or whatever and we roll with the punches under the guise of building for the future

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

Oh i'm not saying he's definitely bad just because he struggled at Tulane, I just think the certainty that he's an upgrade on Armstrong is odd

No doubt, especially with the aforementioned departure of a lot of our skill position guys

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

kayakyakr posted:

A&M, Tennessee, UCLA, and Nebraska are the other major programs looking for new coaches.

Trying to be pragmatic as possible in stating this: It would take a 4-win or worse season or some sort of scandal (the latter seems especially unlikely) for Riley to be shown the door. If he gets fired for performance, it won't be at the order of the current AD, Shawn Eichorst, as he'll be gone as well.

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
... We're talking about Mike Riley here, right?

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
My reasoning's in the second sentence of that post. I cannot see a scenario in which Shawn Eichorst fires Riley for a lousy 2017 season, nor do I seen one in which Eichorst is also canned and a replacement is named who then subsequently fires Riley.

As for the "Yeah, but what about 2007" — Steve Pederson was ousted for other reasons as well (the athletic department was an absolute shitshow by all accounts)

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
TIMELINE

- Riley fired
- Interim HC Bob Diaco coaches team to Foster Farms Bowl victory; earns support of players for full-time gig
- AD hires Jeff Fisher as new head coach
- Bob Diaco returns to Lincoln as head coach in 2021

~And such is the circle of life~

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
He's not going loving 7-9 in FBS, that's for sure

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches
Is Nicholls State still not passing the ball, like, ever

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

MourningView posted:

They were like 50th in FCS in both rushing and passing offense I think they're pretty balanced

Ah. Years ago they were a strict AF option offense that threw like five times per game, tops

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

R.D. Mangles posted:

@Nebraska: Feels like a loss, although Nebraska and Northwestern always win road games

Hi, I'm the dimwit who's just now realizing that the road team has won this rivalry (sure, why not) since we joined the B1G in 2011, save for 2013, which we won on a hail fuckin' mary

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Real Name Grover
Feb 13, 2002

Like corn on the cob
Fan of Britches

Real Name Grover posted:

Nebraska

*Deep breath, swig of gin*

WRONG: It was bourbon

quote:

Worst case: Total disarray, 4-8, a new AD and a Scott Frost homecoming.

On track/happened/fingers crossed

• Locked thread