Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

"Carbons? Purge? What are you talking about?!"

I don't know why anyone was surprised by this, since pokemon go's basic features barely work at the best of times, but apparently there's some big loving thing going on in Chicago that turned into a giant mess of angry chanting and stuff. This would be hilarious on its own because the only thing funnier than someone getting really mad about a phone app is chicagoans getting really mad about...well, anything. Still, what pushes it over the edge into truly gutbustingly funny for me is that apparently some starry eyed morons actually flew out to the Windy City specifically to partake in this mess.

Anyone seen any particularly salty tweets? Anyone have "boots on the ground" that can help me experience this schadenfreude vicariously?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
There is a 20 minute line to leave." I'm sorry but I'm almost crying laughing at that one. Condolences to attendees, truly. This is turning into the Fyre Festival of the gaming world.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/insert...o/#823199954539

edit : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4BbGQPJkkN4

Motorola 68000
Apr 25, 2014

"Don't be nice. Be good."
Has anyone gotten shot yet OP?

Literally A Person
Jan 1, 1970

Smugworth Wuz Here
Hopefully Ja Rule is in no way attached to Pokemans Yo.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
heh, maybe they should Pokémon Go to the polls instead

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Lime Tonics posted:

There is a 20 minute line to leave." I'm sorry but I'm almost crying laughing at that one. Condolences to attendees, truly. This is turning into the Fyre Festival of the gaming world.

Lmao holy poo poo that "almost crying laughing" line is actually from the Forbes article

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo

Lime Tonics posted:

Nice paywall

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
*runs flailing into the thread*

POKEMON GO gently caress YOURSELF!!

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
DEVELOPING!!!!!

http://chicago.suntimes.com/news/chicago-pokemon-go-fest-draws-thousands-to-grant-park/

truly a dark day.

emoji
Jun 4, 2004
I find it hard to believe anyone used that app longer than a week after it came out, OP.

Tinestram
Jan 13, 2006

Excalibur? More like "Needle"

Grimey Drawer

Lime Tonics posted:

truly a dork day.

FormerPoster
Aug 5, 2004

Hair Elf
lol I saw someone on twitter talking about how they spent a ton of money and vacation time to fly out to this, hope they got their money's worth in refunded pokecoins

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

emoji posted:

I find it hard to believe anyone used that app longer than a week after it came out, OP.

apparently there was like a 3 mile long line to get into this thing lol

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

emoji posted:

It was really fun the first few weeks. Around my area, there were thousands of people playing and every time you went outside there would be people on their phones hunting for Pokemon. You'd go to a hot spot and people come up and say "Soo, what Pokemon have you captured today?" It was bizarre but fun.

Too bad it got old fast.

Rasta_Al
Jul 14, 2001

Well that's my story.
Fun Shoe
The amount of people in that event that have ever had sex without paying for it is probably astounding.

*posted from my iPhone at the Chicago Pokemon Go event*

vudan
Dec 11, 2010

Pawn 17 posted:

It was really fun the first few weeks. Around my area, there were thousands of people playing and every time you went outside there would be people on their phones hunting for Pokemon. You'd go to a hot spot and people come up and say "Soo, what Pokemon have you captured today?" It was bizarre but fun.

Too bad it got old fast.

Yeah I certainly thought it was weird but a kind of nice experience.

Gumdrop Larry
Jul 30, 2006

I would have thought by this point they would have managed to implement actual gameplay in some form or another

ElectricSheep
Jan 14, 2006

Well that's my story.

Naerasa posted:

lol I saw someone on twitter talking about how they spent a ton of money and vacation time to fly out to this, hope they got their money's worth in refunded pokecoins

They're getting a hundred bucks in Pokecoins tops according to that Forbes article

lol.

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Gumdrop Larry posted:

I would have thought by this point they would have managed to implement actual gameplay in some form or another

tbh I still fire it up from time to time if I'm just chilling at a park or whatever, and the new raids are kinda fun when you get a bunch of people

but like I said in the op even basic features of gyms are so loving buggy they barely work, how anyone was at all surprised that this turned into a quagmire is actually beyond me

Rockman Reserve
Oct 2, 2007

Have there been any shootings/stabbing over this? I'm guessing not, just because everyone is angry at their phones instead of each other, but being Chicago I figured it's still worth asking.

nigga crab pollock
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

emoji posted:

Counterpoint: it's extremely popular still and I see people playing it daily

Tumble
Jun 24, 2003
I'm not thinking of anything!

Pawn 17 posted:

Too bad it got old fast.

Yea it was a lot of fun for the first few weeks, it's too bad it couldn't keep that momentum up. My buddy and I would take his dog for a walk at like 2 in the morning and see a ton of people out playing at shooting the poo poo. It's

mind the walrus
Sep 22, 2006

Gumdrop Larry posted:

Why? They're still making their money without it. Unrelated, I love your av.

Lime Tonics posted:

DEVELOPING!!!!!

Life goals

emoji
Jun 4, 2004

nigga crab pollock posted:

Counterpoint: it's extremely popular still and I see people playing it daily

They're not actually playing it because basic 'playing' features like gyms have never worked.

Hometown Slime Queen
Oct 26, 2004

the GOAT
I knew people were still playing it but I didn't know they were throwing festivals and poo poo for it.

I hope the kids had fun at least.

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

food court bailiff posted:

Have there been any shootings/stabbing over this? I'm guessing not, just because everyone is angry at their phones instead of each other, but being Chicago I figured it's still worth asking.

White nerds don't get stabby too often

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJG4aEtKeUw

EnvyJ
May 4, 2017

by FactsAreUseless

why does the charmander backpack have a charmander head

Panamaniac
Jun 18, 2007

HEROES NEVER DIE
I know a bartender that does laps around the square in town after closing since it's a small area with a gently caress ton of stops and gyms all in that area.
So someone still plays apparently.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Great idea to trick people into visiting the Midwest

Katamari Democracy
Jan 19, 2010

Guess what! :love:
Guess what this is? :love:
A Post, Just for you! :love:
Wedge Regret
And to think many restaurants and business had comments from nerds wanted them to put up pokemon lures to attract more business lmao

This shitstorm should be a nail in the coffin.

WatermelonGun
May 7, 2009
I hope they all die

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
If so many people went to Chicago for Pokemon go then how come the Democrats couldn't get people to Pokemon GO to THE POLLS

Crazyweasel
Oct 29, 2006
lazy

It's sad because I bet none of these people getting hosed over are having the normal adult light bulb moment of.... "gently caress it, let's just go to a bar" but instead are chanting and being all upset their virtual anime pets aren't getting UPGRADED

William Henry Hairytaint
Oct 29, 2011

Hemingway To Go! posted:

If so many people went to Chicago for Pokemon go then how come the Democrats couldn't get people to Pokemon GO to THE POLLS

Probably the most clumsy ham-fisted attempt to turn a thread about Pokemon into a Trump thread the world has ever seen.

Xotl
May 28, 2001

Be seeing you.
A friend of mine is a 911 dispatcher and when Pokemon Go broke he started getting all sorts of hilarious calls related to the game, like people tearing through residential neighbourhoods at 120, driving over lawns and such trying to get to spawn points in time. My favourite was the call of a suspicious looking group climbing the fence into some private business, and so the police show up and cordon off the area but before they bring in the dogs they realize it's a bunch of 10-year-olds who are stupidly excited that they caught a whateverizard and just can't wait to tell the cops all about it.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

One of my coworkers was required to go to this even as part of work reasons. I'll ask him monday how loving terrible it was as well as what unfathomably expensive thing he comped for his time out there.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before

Crazyweasel posted:

It's sad because I bet none of these people getting hosed over are having the normal adult light bulb moment of.... "gently caress it, let's just go to a bar" but instead are chanting and being all upset their virtual anime pets aren't getting UPGRADED

A good post

Pokemon go was cool for around a week until the gimmick got old, the fact that so many people still play to the point where a gathering of them brings down the mobile network is astounding to me

ArtIsResistance
May 19, 2007

QUEEN OF FRANCE, SAVIOR OF LOWTAX

Crazyweasel posted:

It must suck to have all the autonomy of being an adult but instead of doing a bunch of cool poo poo with your time and money you catch the nearest plane to Chicago for pokemon go fest

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Raider
Sep 2, 2006

food court bailiff posted:

the real bad boy poo poo was like a calendar year ago iirc

• Locked thread