Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Osric
Sep 25, 2012
Straight brawl in an enclosed alleyway...Chinua Achebe (Circa 1980) versus Chimamanda Adichie (Circa 2017). Scoring is 50% physical fighting prowess and 50% literary talent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Loden Taylor
Aug 11, 2003

$50 on Achebe, Adichie has spent too much time in the US and it has made her soft.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

How does a handicap work here? Because I don't know the people you are talking about or what is involved. So, put me down for a penny.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Heart of Darkness was good and not as racist as most people think

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Things Fall Apart was a p good book

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Things Fall Apart was a p good book

It's a book?! I only know the poem! Is the book about the poem?

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Achebe's kekkei genkai, Arrow of God, is simply too powerful for any opponent to overcome

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

I.C. posted:

How does a handicap work here? Because I don't know the people you are talking about or what is involved. So, put me down for a penny.
I expect any and all SA's SJWs to be familiar with Nigeria's two most famous literary figures. Unless you are hypocritical fucks?

For normal people sincerely interested Chinua Achebe is a man born into colonial times in an Igbo tribe who distinguished himself as a writer and academic. He captured the dilemma of west Africans forced to submit to this new political reality whilst still wanting to hold on to the status of their culture. His writing is evocative and engaging.

Adichie is a younger woman who has described Biafra well and has more of the modern preoccupation with the personal but occasionally comes out with stupid poo poo. She gives some amazing uncomfortable descriptions of her early life and anxieties, certainly worth a read, no pair of writers are more interesting to me right now.

Osric
Sep 25, 2012

I.C. posted:

Sorry, references poem in title, not about poem but shares themes.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
What rough beast slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
drat I thought this thread was going to be about William Butler Yeates.

I.C.
Jun 10, 2008

Osric posted:

I expect any and all SA's SJWs to be familiar with Nigeria's two most famous literary figures. Unless you are hypocritical fucks?

For normal people sincerely interested Chinua Achebe is a man born into colonial times in an Igbo tribe who distinguished himself as a writer and academic. He captured the dilemma of west Africans forced to submit to this new political reality whilst still wanting to hold on to the status of their culture. His writing is evocative and engaging.

Adichie is a younger woman who has described Biafra well and has more of the modern preoccupation with the personal but occasionally comes out with stupid poo poo. She gives some amazing uncomfortable descriptions of her early life and anxieties, certainly worth a read, no pair of writers are more interesting to me right now.

Thank you for letting me know!

VikingSkull
Jan 23, 2017
Look Viking you're a trash Trump supporter what the fuck makes you think you can have an avatar that isn't what I decide? Shut your fucking trap and go away. Your trolling is tiresome and just shits up the forum.
gently caress off, gurf

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Harald posted:

Heart of Darkness was good and not as racist as most people think

People think it's racist?

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

I.C. posted:

The Second Coming has like a few different titles in it, it is apparently a poem lots of writers like.

SIDS Vicious
Jan 1, 1970

im gay

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008
Things Fall Apart.

sometimes some scrub would be like "yo did that girl really use magic to find stuff cuz you said this was supposed to be realistic and magic isn't real," and Chinua was like, "Maybe you idiot white people just don't know every drat thing so get off my balls."

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

OXBALLS DOT COM posted:

People think it's racist?
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heart_of_Darkness

quote:

Heart of Darkness is criticised in postcolonial studies,[18] particularly by Nigerian novelist Chinua Achebe.[19] In his 1975 public lecture "An Image of Africa: Racism in Conrad's Heart of Darkness", Achebe described Conrad's novella as "an offensive and deplorable book" that de-humanised Africans.[20] Achebe argued that Conrad, "blinkered...with xenophobia", incorrectly depicted Africa as the antithesis of Europe and civilisation, ignoring the artistic accomplishments of the Fang people who lived in the Congo River basin at the time of the book’s publication. Since the book promoted and continues to promote a prejudiced image of Africa that "depersonalises a portion of the human race," he concluded that it should not be considered a great work of art.[21][18]

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

8-Bit Scholar posted:

The Second Coming has like a few different titles in it, it is apparently a poem lots of writers like.

Wow, outrageous that such an important work was originally written by a Nigerian and then stolen by the British

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

hosed up if false

Gone Fission
Apr 7, 2007

We're here to make coffee metal. We're here to make everything metal.

Three-Phase posted:

WHICH rough beast slouches towards Bethlehem to be born?

fixed that

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

Uhh... the big one. Second to the left.

Cumslut1895
Feb 18, 2015

by FactsAreUseless

postcolonial studies major: A Thing Is Racist.

Harald
Jul 10, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Cumslut1895 posted:

postcolonial studies major: A Thing Is Racist.

This thread is about Chinua Achebe circa 1980, what could be more relevant?

R-Type
Oct 10, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
WHO???

Revins
Nov 2, 2007

tune the FM in to static and pretend that its the sea
Other than both of them being poco, they're two very different authors that explored very different themes and experiences. It's a very diverse literary field. Adiche is kind of like post-post colonial lit imo

Achebe though, to answer the implied question

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy

Loden Taylor posted:

$50 on Achebe, Adichie has spent too much time in the US and it has made her soft.

Agreed, close thread

Zorodius
Feb 11, 2007

EA GAMES' MASTERPIECE 'MADDEN 2018 G.O.A.T. EDITION' IS A GLORIOUS TRIUMPH OF ART AND TECHNOLOGY. IT BRINGS GAMEDAY RIGHT TO THE PLAYER AND WHOEVER SAYS OTHERWISE CAN, YOU GUESSED IT...
SUCK THE SHIT STRAIGHT OUT OF MY OWN ASSHOLE.

BUY IT.
Sometimes I feel like Achebe gets credit for Yeats's poem

STABASS
Apr 18, 2009

Fun Shoe
What ever happened to good old names like Michael and Susan?

20 Blunts
Jan 21, 2017
I really loving hate that overtly-hostile attitude towards Heart of Darkness. I worked with a PhD who had been to Africa as a relief worker, studied colonialism and the whole nine yards and he had a nice tempered-analysis: the book is all about the breakdown of narrative, it makes everyone look bad because its true - something very very bad was going on (colonialism).

Some academics just talk about Heart of Darkness like they want every copy burned, I don't get it. Something something liberals dying on the wrong hill daily.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

I.C. posted:

How does a handicap work here?

wow, ableist much????

Mariana Horchata
Jun 30, 2008

College Slice
im not putting anything down until i can get a good look at both of the competitors

a hole-y ghost
May 10, 2010

Osric posted:

Straight brawl in an enclosed alleyway...Chinua Achebe (Circa 1980) versus Chimamanda Adichie (Circa 2017). Scoring is 50% physical fighting prowess and 50% literary talent.
Ah. I think I'm going to give you a swirlie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

marijuanamancer
Sep 11, 2001

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Achebe cause they made us read that in the day

• Locked thread