Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nothus
Feb 22, 2001

Buglord

I haven't seen a dedicated thread for this podcast yet, so here we go. If you love biting, acerbic takes on contemporary politics and especially on the DC media class, this is the new podcast for you.

The Hosts

Matt Taibbi

Currently has a regular gig at the Rolling Stone serving up long-form hot takes on American politics, but Matt has a pretty impressive pedigree. He's probably most famous for being one of the founding members of the Exile along with Mark Ames and John Dolan (see also: The Radio War Nerd Podcast), which was an English-language newspaper published in Moscow that covered the reality of post-Communist Russia throughout the 90's and early aughts with an irreverent, HST-esque bent until it was shut down by Putin. After returning to the states, Matt wrote a series of books covering Wall Street corruption during the lead-up and aftermath of the financial meltdown, the most famous of which is probably Griftopia: A Story of Bankers, Politicians, and the Most Audacious Power Grab in American History .

Alex Pareene

Alex has been a gadfly of the DC media establishment since he started writing for Wonkette during it's heyday in the mid 2000's. He's written for Salon and Gawker, and now writes for Kinja and I think is starting up a new media company with some of the remains of Gawker called Shattered Media.

Patreon: They have a Patreon, of course. https://www.patreon.com/tarfureport

So far they produce one free episode a week with bonus interviews and such for Patreon subscribers. One of their running bits has been reading David Brooks columns while huffing helium, which is now unexpectedly edgy with the recent suicide of GOP operative Peter Smith (or is that a "suicide"...) by helium asphyxiation.

The hosts have great stories and takes when they're on, but like any new podcast hosted by people who don't come from radio or TV, they're still a little rough around the edges. Stay tuned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

the chip
Mar 10, 2002

Fun Shoe
I've been listening to this and just subscribed on Patreon. So far I have really enjoyed the segment with Jia Tolentino on "Large Adult Sons" and the conversation with David Cross.

emdash
Oct 19, 2003

and?
this pod owns and should be getting a lot more attention

Taintrunner
Apr 10, 2017

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Fantastic podcast, really smart pair of dudes and they're quite funny. You'll definitely be smarter for hearing this through your ears.

Tambreet
Nov 28, 2006

Ninja Platypus
Muldoon
Just discovered this a week or two ago and I'm finally caught up. It's now my most anticipated after Chapo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NoEyedSquareGuy
Mar 16, 2009

Just because Liquor's dead, doesn't mean you can just roll this bitch all over town with "The Freedoms."
Been reading Taibbi's books and Rolling Stone articles for years, so this was an easy listen once I learned of its existence. Not as familiar with Pareene but he seems to be a decent co-host from what I've heard so far.

• Locked thread