Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Ads?
Yay
Nay
View Results

• Locked thread
Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

Advertisements in the new media. You'll be browsing online and see banners ads for some service or whatever and may or may not click it. You'll be playing a mobile game or listening to music when the option is given to you to watch an ad for free currency or some ad-free listening time. Do you like ads?

I personally HATE ads. I use uBlock Origin and Ghostery cause I never want to see an ad ever again. I even used to use NoScript for some added security. There are also ad-blockers on mobile devices that you have to learn about through the grapevine, as Google and Apple ban ad-blockers on their respective app stores. I bring this up because I have been noticing a "push back" of sorts from those who use advertisements to get money. Websites will now annoy you with anti-adblock banners encouraging you to disable your plugins. This can range from kindly asking you enable ads to straight up restricting your access to a website. YouTube in particular has had a severe cut to ad revenue from "controversial" videos or whatever but I can personally care less about those guys. Those who use Ghostery may have noticed a thinly-veiled poll pop up asking about what it would take for you to white-list advertisers, which makes me worried for the future of the plugin.

Do you approve or disapprove of advertisement practices? Are internet ads more or less malicious than they were 10 years ago? What alternate methods would you suggest websites use to get paid?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
No ad should last more than 5 seconds.

Nut to Butt
Apr 13, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I voted "yay" because I love to consume products.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
you suck op

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

bloom
Feb 25, 2017

by sebmojo
I use ublock but only to block the OP's posts.

Tinfoil Papercut
Jul 27, 2016

by Athanatos
What does the OP say?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

I want a page blocker, that blocks everything except ads.

EorayMel
May 30, 2015

WE GET IT. YOU LOVE GUN JESUS. Toujours des fusils Bullpup Français.
Is there an adblock for anti adblock messages?

loving thing's like pathogens adapting to penicillin. First it worked fantastic, now the few ones survive and can't even be removed with vanilla adblocker, so you need something much stronger and probably gently caress up your browser to remove them in the process.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

i would never do anything to upset my capitalist pigdogs overlords

Zajajaja
Jan 10, 2008
Ad's are malware containers, however now that massive corporations like alphabet have basically 0 oversight malware is the norm. Either way please god use noscript

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

I want a page blocker, that blocks everything except ads.

:yeah:

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

EorayMel posted:

loving thing's like pathogens adapting to penicillin. First it worked fantastic, now the few ones survive and can't even be removed with vanilla adblocker, so you need something much stronger and probably gently caress up your browser to remove them in the process.

You can use uBlock Origin to block specific elements. Right click the icon and select "block element". It's pretty powerful but not powerful enough to block my posts.

I used to use it to block the bottom banner on SA until BYOB advertisements came up.

That Robot
Sep 16, 2004

ask me anything about robots
Buglord
most internet advertisers are scum and I enjoy the epic butthurt they have after no one with adblock sees their lovely popunders, the "one weird trick" ads and the ones that fool less sophisticated users into installing malware

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I can't wait until noscript gets blocklists and the entire internet malware advertising scheme is destroyed.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

Ads? I call them bads, because they are bad

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

EorayMel posted:

yea

first, use ublock origin instead of garbage bitcoin miner/malware adblock plus. then install ublock protector and make sure to sub to the lists ublock origin. i think its adblock warning removal, anti-adblock killer, and ublock protector list.

theres also some tampermonkey scripts but didnt seem to work well.

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Blue Train posted:

Ads? I call them bads, because they are bad

FisheyStix
Jul 2, 2008

This avatar was paid for by the Silent Majority.
Lol just lol if u are made aware of goods and services available to u

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Washington Post wont let you browse articles if you have an ad blocker so i dont read Washington Post!

cynic
Jan 19, 2004

My current job involves forcing as many ads down millions of peoples throats, and if you install an adblocker, we flash up an obnoxious banner that takes up most of the screen asking you to turn it off, I am a terrible person.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

Washington Post wont let you browse articles if you have an ad blocker so i dont read Washington Post!
works fine for me with ublock origin and ublock protector.

but you are right don't read wapo anyways, it's really bad

Ultimate Shrek Fan
May 2, 2005

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

works fine for me with ublock origin and ublock protector.

but you are right don't read wapo anyways, it's really bad

I used AdBlock for chrome. it's never given me any issues before

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
I don't think they'd go to all the trouble and expense of putting those ads up if they just wanted you to block them OP.

AntifaSupersoldier
Jul 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
Hell Gem

cynic posted:

My current job involves forcing as many ads down millions of peoples throats, and if you install an adblocker, we flash up an obnoxious banner that takes up most of the screen asking you to turn it off, I am a terrible person.
Any metrics on the # of users with adblocking software? Is it a big problem?

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Xaris posted:

yea

first, use ublock origin instead of garbage bitcoin miner/malware adblock plus. then install ublock protector and make sure to sub to the lists ublock origin. i think its adblock warning removal, anti-adblock killer, and ublock protector list.

thank you now I can browse cnbc without ads and play videos

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

I hate how noscript loving breaks everything and even if I give permission it doesn't always fix the problem. On the other hand, it's made me way too aware of all the bullshit background scripts that even a lot of legitimate sites run to ever turn it off. I just wish it had better sorting and whitelist/blacklist features so I don't keep having to guess which of the half dozen gibberish script names is the one that will make my imbedded video play.

Also, it's made me realize that some sites, like the onion, are running a grotesque number of hidden scripts and maybe just aren't worth it.

bring back old gbs
Feb 28, 2007

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
all my piracy tv show sites do popups that try to install browser extensions now. gota be quick on the alt+f4but not too fast so u close the main browser window.

Sophy Wackles
Dec 17, 2000

> access main security grid
access: PERMISSION DENIED.

I use a pi-hole on my network. No ads on my computers, phone, tablet, etc. No telemetry data sent to microsoft. No need for browser plugins.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

Xaris posted:

yea

Can you back up a bit here? Why is adblock bad, what is ublock, and why is it better?

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Duckbag posted:

Can you back up a bit here? Why is adblock bad, what is ublock, and why is it better?

i was exaggerating there but it's not uncommon for plugins to be bought out by russians and converted to malware. adblock was bought by by some unknown party a year or two ago iirc and now they allow advertising thru that people pay them for and stuff. ublock origin was basically old good adp and works a lot better, less annoying popups and thigns, and much more resource efficient (even if you don't care about acceptable ads thing you should care about how bloated adp is).

https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-origin/cjpalhdlnbpafiamejdnhcphjbkeiagm?hl=en

then you can also subscribe to ublock protector (and enlist the ublock protector list and adblock warning removal lists under 3rd party list options) to get rid of sites nagging you about using it
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/ublock-protector-extensio/ggolfgbegefeeoocgjbmkembbncoadlb

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

Ublock's a ton faster for one.

myDad
Jan 20, 2010

ce n'est pas ma mère
College Slice

Pawn 17 posted:

I use a pi-hole on my network. No ads on my computers, phone, tablet, etc. No telemetry data sent to microsoft. No need for browser plugins.

Very cool!

TwoDogs1Cup
May 28, 2008

DOUGIE DOUGIE DOUGIE! MY LOVE, HE MAKES MY EMPTY HEART FULL! DOUGIE! THE BEST FOREVER THE BEST DOUGIEEE! <3 <3 - TwoDougies1Cup
Ublock Origin all the way

Chrome is pure aids though on mobile since you can't get adblock the cunts

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Advertisements are manipulative brain worms

ColoradoCleric
Dec 26, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
is there a ublock protector for firefox?

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO
Feb 28, 1985

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

Try Brave.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
its amazing whenever i use my bosses laptop with IE or something and need to look something up how bloated and terrible the internet is. or maybe i'm just spoiled. it's like giant banners and ads on top and right with lovely bing listing 50 ads before any results with maybe 20% of your screen available for reading actual stuff in the middle-bottom-left

i think SA is the only site i see ads on at, and probably because they're on the bottom

Fog Tripper
Mar 3, 2008

by Smythe

Ultimate Shrek Fan posted:

I wonder if Drudge gets kickback for linking to them.

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

the banner ads on SA crash chrome on my home computer LOL

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Putty
Mar 21, 2013

HOOKED ON THE BROTHERS

TwoDogs1Cup posted:

https://block-this.com/

This is the ad blocker I use for android. It works pretty well for the most part but things occasionally slip through the cracks. It used to be on google Play and had premium features until it got kicked off, now it's open source and 100% free.

• Locked thread