Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Lucky there's a family guy
Lucky there's a man who positively can do
All the things that make us
Laugh and cry

Navin Johnson posted:

Confession.....never owned a new car. Typical goon, no?

i think typically millenial. hand-me-downs or cheapo used cars is pretty typical. not necessarily goony but since most goons are millenials i guess it works.

i think everyone has had it drilled into their head "dont buy new, you lose 20% of your value just driving off the lot!" but i really dont know how much that's still true, recently been shopping for either used or new cars and honestly the used prices for something say 2014, even if you could haggle a k or so, are pretty loving insane and not a whole lot differnt than just buying a nice new 2017 model that it seemed like it doesn't make a whole lot of sense unless you're really pinching pennies. maybe it was just the models i was actually interested in tho (i.e. no chevy or chrystler or ford gm stuff)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
That would be ideal but I really didn't see any, basically everything was like 30-60k+ miles per car year, and it actually had less than that it was still sizeable 5 figgie priced.

But this is the bay area and uber drivers and poo poo have probably hosed up a lot of the markets too with for newer used car demand so idk. granted I also wasn't constantly f5-ing and scouring craigslist every hour of the day to see if something popped and mostly looking at trucar and casually browsing some used dealerships and stuff.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Waffle House posted:

4th gen accords are ridiculously long-lived, mine lasted ~360k before we sold it

manuals are the best

maybe those were better but I have an 2001 accord and technically it works, but i've had to replace the tranny and several other major parts that just hosed up so its kind of a franken-car by now. idk for being a honda it had a surprisingly lot of problems 9 years later, with really not that many miles. I dunno if that was just a particularly bad year or what.

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry
really 2001 is not that old though. i would hope it would still keep running. i think it's more impressive when 80s or even some 90s cars keep on kicking

*then again technically my '01 accord needed a transmission rebuild which was almost not worth it but eh

Xaris
Jul 25, 2006

Laugh and cry

Outrail posted:

Can someone please explain why an ancient piece of poo poo appears to be part cockroach even during blatant attempts to kill it, but whenever I really need a car/van/truck to survive more than a year it promptly has a weird untreatable issue? It's like some sort of spiteful amalgamation vehicle-cat-horse.

Edit: My current vehicle is a 99 Pathfinder. Previously I had a POS Astro van that I spent far, far too much time and money fixing up that blew some electrics and had to be scrapped. So I buy this crappy SUV off a friend of a friend and it immediately needs tires, clutch CV joints, ball joints and an AC recharge, but whatever it was cheap to start with. Thing is I needed the camper-van becasue I'm going to do a huge cross country trip and I can't sleep in an SUV. So out comes everything down to bare metal except the front seats. A plywood platform goes in with a mattress and it's the world's shittiest most cramped camper conversion ever.
Uh partly confirmation bias, everyone always says "man they made things so much better back then!" (be it houses, cars, electronics, whatever) but it turns out all the poo poo things were scrapped and long-gone so it's just the cream of the top that still keep around and will probably keep doing so for awhile longer.

but also probably mostly that most trucks and suvs are built like garbage for idiot americans to pay 200% mark-up on hoping they break and buy another one because they are idiots. Unless of course you go the correct route and you get a toyota tacoma or subaru suv-- those things are godly immortal beasts.

• Locked thread