Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I've been able to do this for a really long time, decades. Even if I'm only a little bit lucid, if things go sideways, I either "revert" to an earlier "dream state" or just force myself awake if it's super upsetting (like, friends/wife dying upsetting)

It's cool try it sometime

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ein cooler Typ
Nov 26, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Sometimes

Leon Einstein
Feb 6, 2012
I must win every thread in GBS. I don't care how much banal semantic quibbling and shitty posts it takes.
I often do this. I'll "wake" up in my dream and realize I'm in a dream.

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014
I don't know, let me try.

*clicks out of thread*

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*
i can't. but one time my nightmare turned into a wet dream. i woke up stuck to my mattress.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
the nightmare is your life and you have always been trapped in it. so is this is an indirect way of asking if you should kill yourself?

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

Cnut the Great
Mar 30, 2014

Lauroon Kyanka posted:

i can't. but one time my nightmare turned into a wet dream. i woke up stuck to my mattress.

This happened to me. I remember my body being entirely covered by spiders, crawling over and around me and inside every orifice while I screamed in pain. I can't remember what the nightmare part was.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4ybHzYtF3ZM

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Lauroon Kyanka posted:

My wife turned into my nightmare

Hiyooo!

Inkfish
Mar 1, 2015

I fart myself awake every 20 mins anyway so it's not really an issue

Monos Bullet
Dec 6, 2016

Yea, and I say unto you, bringeth me a machiatto of caramel, with crickets on top.
if the bad dream comes within about 20 minutes of falling asleep yeah, but it's always with hypnic jerks. i'd rather have a bad dream than wake up with one of those.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

When I was younger and had nightmares often I could do this. If poo poo got weird I would pinch myself to check if I could feel anything or not, and if I didn't I would know I was dreaming. Then to wake myself up I would go through this weird process where it felt like I had two sets of eyelids: my dream eyelids which opened and shut easily, and an underlying layer of real eyelid which had to be pried open with some difficulty by getting them to sync with and 'stick to' my dream eyelids.

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

That eyelid process didn't work perfectly and would take multiple attempts, always done in a desperate panic to escape some terrible fate that was about to befall me in the dream. When I was more aware of the dream state I would think of it like jacking out of the matrix to escape agents, but if I was more deeply invested in the dream I thought of it as sticking a gun to my head to escape a worse death.

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*

Moon Atari posted:

That eyelid process didn't work perfectly and would take multiple attempts, always done in a desperate panic to escape some terrible fate that was about to befall me in the dream. When I was more aware of the dream state I would think of it like jacking out of the matrix to escape agents, but if I was more deeply invested in the dream I thought of it as sticking a gun to my head to escape a worse death.

hosed up if true

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

No OP usually I just have a massive succession of false awakenings where I wake up, think I'm doing my morning routine, something feels wrong, I'm still dreaming, then I wake up, think I'm doing my morning routine, something feels wrong, I'm still dreaming, then I wake up, repeat ad naseum about a dozen times.

This is the closest thing to a psychological hell I've experienced in my life.

bird with big dick
Oct 21, 2015

I usually wake up and think "Why am I stumbling around so much? Why am I so thirsty? Why can't I find any pants?" and then I get my poo poo together and drive to work and hope I'm at less than 0.08 BAC but I don't know for sure and I'm constantly scanning the rear views and if I see a cop I get so nervous it basically guarantees I'll get pulled over cause I'll start shaking. But then I make it to work, sometimes after pulling into a parking lot and sitting there for 5 minutes and having some water. And thinking "maybe I should call in sick and then just walk to the nearest breakfast place to sober up and then I'll use the rest of the sick day to fix that leaky toilet and reorganize the garage."

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

scrubs season six posted:

I usually wake up and think "Why am I stumbling around so much? Why am I so thirsty? Why can't I find any pants?" and then I get my poo poo together and drive to work and hope I'm at less than 0.08 BAC but I don't know for sure and I'm constantly scanning the rear views and if I see a cop I get so nervous it basically guarantees I'll get pulled over cause I'll start shaking. But then I make it to work, sometimes after pulling into a parking lot and sitting there for 5 minutes and having some water. And thinking "maybe I should call in sick and then just walk to the nearest breakfast place to sober up and then I'll use the rest of the sick day to fix that leaky toilet and reorganize the garage."

Don't be afraid if you get pulled over it's likely the policeman only wants to use the radiating warmth of your vibrating car hood to do sex acts with his partner.

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*

JebanyPedal posted:

Don't be afraid if you get pulled over it's likely the policeman only wants to use the radiating warmth of your vibrating car hood to do sex acts with his partner.

omg why does that make so much sense

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

JebanyPedal posted:

No OP usually I just have a massive succession of false awakenings where I wake up, think I'm doing my morning routine, something feels wrong, I'm still dreaming, then I wake up, think I'm doing my morning routine, something feels wrong, I'm still dreaming, then I wake up, repeat ad naseum about a dozen times.

This is the closest thing to a psychological hell I've experienced in my life.

I was just about to write about this as well. Those looping false awakening dreams happened to me when I was on antidepressants. But rather than fully going about my morning routine it was like I was desperately trying to force my unresponsive body out of bed only to fall back into it, or if I had managed to make it out of the bed though intense effort I would be sucked back across the room into it again. While this was happening people would walk into my bedroom and act out these David Lynch style surreal dream logic scenes over and over again. It really did feel like being in hell.

Lil Swamp Booger Baby
Aug 1, 1981

Moon Atari posted:

I was just about to write about this as well. Those looping false awakening dreams happened to me when I was on antidepressants. But rather than fully going about my morning routine it was like I was desperately trying to force my unresponsive body out of bed only to fall back into it, or if I had managed to make it out of the bed though intense effort I would be sucked back across the room into it again. While this was happening people would walk into my bedroom and act out these David Lynch style surreal dream logic scenes over and over again. It really did feel like being in hell.

In the grogginess of my post false awakening torment, when I finally meet my true awakening, I sometimes believe that this hellish procedure is proof that there is some kind of multiverse connecting all the disparate yet similar brains of your endless selves, you are experiencing all their awakenings, and then finally after you've been expelled from a dozen minds that see you as an alien interloper, you finally come back to your true self, and awaken.

And then I realize that it really just is my subconscious trying to own me because I am a retard.

Jesustheastronaut!
Mar 9, 2014

Lipstick Apathy
There is no waking up from this nightmare

Lowtax
Nov 16, 1999

by Skyl3lazer
I can, I literally think something like "boy this dream has gotten retarded" and change it.

ClamdestineBoyster
Aug 15, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Yeah it's p easy just consciously vocalize something. I try to get a good "gently caress you" out when I need to wake myself up.

scott zoloft
Dec 7, 2015

yeah same
I'll trip over some innocuous poo poo in a dream and shudder awake irl. don't know why.

Lauroon Kyanka
Sep 17, 2017

*trips on a ladybug*

*dies of old age*

Lowtax posted:

I can, I literally think something like "boy this dream has gotten retarded" and change it.

too bad you can't do that with your podcasts

(USER WAS BANNED FOR THIS POST)

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Lowtax posted:

I have that when my dreams are pulling from memories that are too old. Like I'll be dreaming that I'm in high-school again, but then I recognise I'm a grown man so my dream tries to rationalise itself by saying something like "oh we administered one of your exams incorrectly so now your entire class has to come back a decade later and repeat", which is too retarded to accept so it breaks immersion and I wake up, criticising the writing in my own dream.

NO FUCK YOU DAD
Oct 23, 2008
I hold breath and jump in the air like something out of Wizard of Oz. It's worked in every nightmare I've had since I was 8, but one day the monster will be real and people will think I died trying to interpretive dance it to death.

FaradayCage
May 2, 2010
OP what was your worst nightmare answer honestly.

Altared State
Jan 14, 2006

I think I was born to burn
Yes but I don't. I like watching the horror unfold.

Sir John Feelgood
Nov 18, 2009

Yep.

Crash_N_Burn
Apr 19, 2014

No. Any nightmare where I was in a dangerous situation I would wake up right when I was about to die.

I haven't had a dream or nightmare that I can remember in years though and I do not miss that poo poo

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free
if I realize I'm having a nightmare, I do this... weird jump / sudden hard movement thing in the nightmare, it almost feels like I'm trying to jump out of my own skin I guess, but it's always worked

that said I haven't had a nightmare in a long time and I really miss the days I used to lucid dream a lot, bye

Fur20
Nov 14, 2007

すご▞い!
君は働か░い
フ▙▓ズなんだね!
no, i can recognize a nightmare as i'm having it but can't wake up from it. it's the worst. 28 days later gave me some weird trauma as a teenager and my sleep was plagued by fast undead nightmares four, five times a week for nearly a decade. and then i'd wake up and fall back asleep and the frickin' thing would resume what kind of dream picks up where it left off after you wake up god drat

Code Jockey
Jan 24, 2006

69420 basic bytes free

The White Dragon posted:

no, i can recognize a nightmare as i'm having it but can't wake up from it. it's the worst. 28 days later gave me some weird trauma as a teenager and my sleep was plagued by fast undead nightmares four, five times a week for nearly a decade. and then i'd wake up and fall back asleep and the frickin' thing would resume what kind of dream picks up where it left off after you wake up god drat

lol I had that happen a few times in high school / college, I'd wake up from a nightmare, think "oh good, just a nightmare", go back to sleep and gently caress right back where I left off

Mr.Acula
May 10, 2009

Billions and billions of fat clouds

I was lucid dreaming once and when I realized it I tried going super saiyan and it felt really good so I recommend trying this

coke
Jul 12, 2009
kill yourself

the dream will usually end when you do that and you will wake up instantly

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
The more woke i get the worse the nightmare get. pls send help oh god trump

big dyke energy
Jul 29, 2006

Football? Yaaaay
last night i had a dream where i had to eat a bunch of hair and it triggered my gag reflex so hard i woke up gagging so that was pretty cool i guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Medieval Medic
Sep 8, 2011
I have experienced my own death as well as the death of the universe in my nightmares, nothing scares me anymore, so I don't need to wake up.

When I dream of monsters and ghosts, I literally charge them looking for a fight.

• Locked thread