Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

So to save the other two wargaming threads getting shitted up with WoWP stuff, here's a place where you can talk about, well, World of Warplanes.

As I am an utterly talentless moran, I am also going to shamelessly steal from DemonR6 and Ensign Expendables WoWS and WoT threads but not so you will notice;

World of Warships Warplanes is a product of our Russian friends at Wargaming. Same dudes as World of Tanks and the aborted baby called World of Warplanes World of Warships. It is a naval air combat themed WWII arcade sim MMOG.

Ahem...

In reality WoWP has been around for a few years and other than about 20 utterly drooling spergs it was roundly denounced by everyone that tried to play it and languished for years as Wargaming's child they kept in the attic and didn't talk about. However that all changed a couple of weeks ago with patch 2.0 which basically revamped the game completely and made it actually fun! No seriously.
It's still pretty basic gameplay, capture points for various bonuses, shoot reds, and if you are looking for a flight sym then this isn't for you, but there is no getting away from the fact that it is now actually fun to play. Also games take like 6 minutes tops so it's very easy to jump in and out of.

Here's a couple of well known Wargaming shills being paid to hype the game well respected community contributors getting all moist about airplanes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VbNjhXS8QXU&t=2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vkLX6wDa7Tc&t=764s

There are 5 distinct types of planes in the game;

Fighters - Your ME109, Spitfire etc are these. Very fragile but very fast and agile and with decent guns. There role is basically to provide protection for the capping planes by shooting anything that moves which is coloured red. They are the stuff that sits just above your ground attack planes and gives them cover.

Heavy Fighter's - MOSQUITO motherfuckers, P38 and the GODLIKE BEAUFIGHTER are in this line. Multi-engined multiple cannon platforms. They hit very hard, have good stamina, but you will be very lucky to win a low level duel with a fighter. Normally come with external bombs and rockets so can contest caps. These are high altitude planes that take out bomber strikes and also carry out "swoopy dives whilst unleashing loads of cannons at poo poo way below them".

Multirole Yak yak yak. These are not quite full out fighters as they carry external bombs or rockets but are not as tough as heavy fighters and not quite as agile as full blown fighters. They are very good at low level fighting and like to slap ground attack aircraft.

Attack Planes STURMOVIK!! Very tough, very heavily armed with big cannon, rockets and bombs, slow and handle like a flying breezeblock, excel at shooting up ground targets. Can't dogfight supposedly but if you charge one head on with your fighter you are going to learn very quickly that they pack a punch. Also possible to ram damaged fighters and live :haw:

Bombers Currently only 3 in game, the Blenheim, RB-17 and A26-B. They are only available from loot boxes which you get as mission rewards or that you can buy so many each day. Incredibly tough, very high flying, massive bomb damage, very little defensive armament, their bomb loads re-spawn very quickly and they are kings of point capping. They take a lot of killing and I have heard that it's really stupid to follow one down onto the deck as they can drop a bomb while you chase them and it will kill you in your fighter with splash damage. So I've heard... :shifty:

The main point about this game is that, surprise sur-loving-prise, there's a rather steep learning curve with no tutorial to speak of. From the last couple of days post by people I have had no end of :doh: moments in regard to very simple aspects of game play.

Such as;

JuffoWup posted:

There was talk on discord and I assume elsewhere concerning respawn behavior in World of Warplanes. Sometimes, you get several respawns, other times, you get nothing (had a game earlier in the i-15 bis aka rocket biplanes where I never got a chance to respawn). So I went looking and found a wargaming tutorial on the conquest map. Something that should have been on their headline news, but isn't.

https://worldofwarplanes.com/tutorials/wowp-2-0-info/

Basically, you know that squall line warning? Being from warships, I expected it meant a drop in sight lines like warships does. No, that squall warning is the countdown to the end of respawning. That is what the commander means when he says they'll no longer be able to support you.

That. Now the fact that you can re-spawn several times before that weather window pops up should be a major component of game play that people should really know about wouldn't you have thought?

Also;

JuffoWup posted:

So was I. I got another tip for ground attack work. This one was gleaned from reddit. When capturing bases, a lone ground attack plane can capture a base pretty drat quickly if they know what they are doing.

The key here is that individual structures don't count. Structures are grouped into little units. If all structures within a unit is destroyed, then it counts to yours capture total on the base. In other words, shooting the aa gun will silence it, but it won't affect your base capture. Shooting the aa mount and then destroying the 3-4 little buildings next to it will give you base capture points. Targetting tightly packed building sets with your bombs and then carpet bombing correctly will net you a lot of capture points. As a ground attack plane, this will also add to your xp. I just had a game where I turned a somewhat messy start by my team into a full on win by us when I nearly solo capped the lone airfield before I died. When I came back, I was able to return and finish the job, then worked down the remaining garrisons. The garrison that was being a mixed fight was because my team was shooting the aa guns, but leaving the support structures. With those destroyed, the capture rapidly filled up.

Now this one I knew about as if you fly anything with bombs or rockets such as the GODLIKE BEAUFIGHTER, you notice that, if like I do, you fly to a cap point and use your outboard ordnance to take out all the AA guns that you get very close to actually capturing the whole thing.

Nordick posted:

Something that might also be worth mentioning/clarifying in the OP: Destroying ground targets isn't the only way to directly contribute to capturing a base. Shooting down the AI-controlled base defence aircraft (these are clearly labelled as such and have a distinct icon) also builds up capture points. So if you're flying a fighter with no ground attack capability, just go after these.

Anyway I have probably missed tons of stuff so feel free to add whatever you like.

So stuff I have found out so far.

Cannons are better than machine guns.

Long lasting boost [go faster button] is a VERY GOOD THING.

Joystick control is a lot harder than using your mouse, [This may be more the fact I am an idiot] but it is supported, as is a gamepad.

You can re-spawn multiple times, each spawn time taking progressively longer.

Your pilot getting hit affects all aspects of your plane's performance. Carry a first aid kit you monster.

Ramming doesn't automatically kill you. unless you are a fighter. :haw:

6 minutes is average game time.

If there are not enough human players the game will fill with bots. The longest I have queued for a game was 30 seconds and when it started there were 4 players and 26 bots called Kevin.

Like WoWS, the bots play better than a lot of the humans. This is where the Terminator films should have started.

It's very easy to level up to tier 5. A bit too easy actually. You kind of advance faster than your flying skills do.

+/-1 matchmaking. WHAT???!!!! Yep.

Please note. We all know it's not Warthunder so keep that dick waving out the thread if you don't mind.

Here's a link to recommended equipment to fit to your planes and also your pilot skills. I'm not 100% sure about this, as without actual numbers on any of the skills I think it's all a bit of pot luck, however, it does give you a start.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/13DIVUGShzs34cAG7iSNKvvuSfWFerKSbJEtagA-QfdU/edit#gid=694642458

Burt fucked around with this message at 14:41 on Nov 19, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Have not played for 5 years in the beta before it became unfun, but kinda tempted now.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

-MOST AMMUNITION EXPENDED ON CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT
-WORST KDR VS CIVILIANS 2015-PRESENT

BASE TYPES AND HOW TO IGNORE THEM
All base types generate 3 points/sec I believe

Command Centers or whatever they're called spawn waves of bombers at high altitude at the edge of the map. These waves of bombers fly to enemy bases as indicated by the line leading from the command center to the enemy base. Upon successfully reaching an enemy base, the bombers proceed to bomb the poo poo out of it, removing a large amount of the enemy's control of the base and letting you capture it more easily. These are massively powerful. Capture these first when possible (at least one map spawns one team next to a command center while the other team spawns next to an airfield and a garrison).

Rocket Sites (or military bases or whatever they're called) launch V-2 rockets at enemy and neutral bases, removing chunks of enemy capture progress. Capturing one of these early can make it harder for the enemy team to capture bases if they're bads because the rocket will just reset their capture. Capture these as early as possible.

Airfields can be clicked on while waiting to respawn to set your spawn point there instead of the edge of the map. Capture these early.

davejk posted:

There's two types of airfield. Without the wrench icon, they're just spawn points. With the icon, they not only repair friendly planes, they also let you change to any other same-tier plane in your hangar when you respawn.

Mining Sites (or whatever the hell the mine is actually called) generate a massive amount of points every two minutes. This can turn the tide of the battle quite handily. You can press LAlt or whatever the default expanded info key is to see its timer showing how long until it dumps points all over the controlling team. You want to be in control of this when that happens. Capture these early.

Garrisons generate the same 3 points/sec as every other base type and do gently caress all else. They're still important, but capture these last because other base types will often be present.

edit: do be aware that i've only played up through tier 5 and also haven't played in like two days so all this is coming from my lovely memory
edit2: added davejk's helpful post!

Ferrovanadium fucked around with this message at 01:40 on Oct 22, 2017

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Question, where do you bomb the AA to take out the AA and the buildings? Does it have to be both bombs?

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
add a cool gif of something cool in game happening and you might have my attention to install this :thunk: im still not sure yet also is there any stupid planes in the game like really fast and small that is really annoying to try and kill? that sounds fun if there is

Turmoilx fucked around with this message at 13:08 on Oct 21, 2017

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

I could've gone to Blatherwycke

I played this way back when but it must have been on the EU server as I don't have my F4U and Bf-110 from then. Nevertheless, it is much more fun than I remember and I've been particularly enjoying flying the Tier III A5M 'Claude'. Doesn't have great guns but it seems to fly rings round everything else.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

RandomPauI posted:

Question, where do you bomb the AA to take out the AA and the buildings? Does it have to be both bombs?

I think it depends on the size of the bombs. I struggle to take out the entire site with 2x100lb or 2x250lb. I usually go for the flak gun with the bomb(s) and then come back round and strafe the buildings. I am far from an expert, there might be some pinpoint bombing experts out there.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alright, I'll go the bomb and strafe route.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
OP should mention the current bonus codes to attract players:
https://www.reddit.com/r/WorldofWarplanes/comments/760z6k/codes_giveaways_contests/

davejk
Mar 22, 2007

Pillbug

YellerBill posted:

Airfields can be clicked on while waiting to respawn to set your spawn point there instead of the edge of the map. Do this. If there's a little wrench icon in/around the airfield on the minimap then it can repair friendly planes who are flying near it? Or something like that? Capture these early.

There's two types of airfield. Without the wrench icon, they're just spawn points. With the icon, they not only repair friendly planes, they also let you change to any other same-tier plane in your hangar when you respawn.

space pope
Apr 5, 2003

The corsair code is great 3x premium tier 5 planes.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Turmoilx posted:

add a cool gif of something cool in game happening and you might have my attention to install this :thunk: im still not sure yet also is there any stupid planes in the game like really fast and small that is really annoying to try and kill? that sounds fun if there is

Who am I, your mother? :fuckoff:

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

the code WARPLANES works on EU, gives you a British Supermarine Type 224, a tier III which has superb handling but mediocre everything else and a German tier II, an AR67 which looks about the same, but you can, unlike most other premiums use these as crew trainers.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

Nice, an Il-2 mod., SE 100, and XFL-1 to add to the XP-77, Me 210, and Pegasus I got from being in the Alpha, the I-15 bis.DM that was a birthday reward, and a Hawk III that I apparently got for logging in over Xmas 2013? At least the game is fun now, even if it doesn't look like I'll grind enough gear for the new bombers.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Oct 21, 2017

Lord Koth
Jan 8, 2012

Burt posted:

Ramming doesn't automatically kill you. unless you are a fighter. :haw:

As far as I can tell, even this isn't true. It seems like the game just looks at which plane had more HP at the time of the ram, and whichever one is higher survives and takes some minimal damage. For example, I've rammed multiple heavily shot up bombers from a single Command Center raid with a fighter and survived (barely).

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
Heh, checked the wowp forums, the salt mines are being emptied by the old guard it seems, with discussions about how to ruin the game for new people so that WG will turn back to 1.9. :v:

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback
The controls are definitely different from War Thunder, but not aggressively loving bad like they were. Playing in Arcade reminds me a bit of WT back when it started before bombs became complete garbage and emphasis was taken away from arcade dogfights/ground attack and skewed towards blowing up bases.

Rincewinds posted:

Heh, checked the wowp forums, the salt mines are being emptied by the old guard it seems, with discussions about how to ruin the game for new people so that WG will turn back to 1.9. :v:

Well I mean I guess if anyone is stupid enough to think old WoWP was better than 2.0 it would be the folks rabidly broke-brained enough to have played it all this time

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Sometimes (a bit like WoT) you can have those games where everything you do is golden.

LostCosmonaut
Feb 15, 2014

You're not mentioning the best part of this game, which is that allchat is enabled (unlike WoT), so you can farm salt from the other team.

edit: And yeah, sometimes you get the perfect storm and just go apeshit on everything.

LostCosmonaut fucked around with this message at 17:14 on Oct 21, 2017

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Something that might also be worth mentioning/clarifying in the OP: Destroying ground targets isn't the only way to directly contribute to capturing a base. Shooting down the AI-controlled base defence aircraft (these are clearly labelled as such and have a distinct icon) also builds up capture points. So if you're flying a fighter with no ground attack capability, just go after these.

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

Rincewinds posted:

I have noticed quite a few "platoons" in low tier games that are obviously seal clubbers as they stick together and gang up on anyone who seems to know what they are doing. I'm guessing more than a few of these are bittervets.

Also added Nordick's comments to OP.

Nordick
Sep 3, 2011

Yes.
Also I'm starting to buy into Burt's Beaufighter hype, because I'm having a great time with the tier 4 Blenheim F and this thing is basically a ghetto Beaufighter.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
One downside to WoWP: That Wargaming game center it insisted on installing? I have been getting something unseen for a while, blue screens of death. I also changed some hardware so it may be unrelated, but the easiest thing to test was removing the WGGC. The downside to this is it apparently destroyed the WoT and WoWS launchers when it installed, so while I can still launch the games directly I will not be able to patch without reinstalling them or the center :/

Rincewinds
Jul 30, 2014

MEAT IS MEAT
I given up trying to install the wargaming center, it just says an error occured when its downloaded, and ask for a new download.

Edit: Actually, my anti virus says its trying to install a Trojan virus. :D

Rincewinds fucked around with this message at 19:29 on Oct 21, 2017

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

That'll do

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

JuffoWup posted:

That'll do

Nice.

So am I correct in thinking;

Lightning bolts = creds
Medals = exp?

You get medals for stuff that affects the amount of combat points you get, like bombing bases, killing NPC planes that are defending a base and killing players attacking a base?

I am seriously a bit confused about scoring in games as when I think I have a good game killing loads of players I get poo poo exp but then when I drop a couple of bombs, shoot an AA post and knock a few bombers down I get way more?

Also the bombers. I got the Blenheim and how you play it is get to 3000m, press left shift to open up your bomb sight, and rain destruction on bases with your very rapidly respawning bombs. Anyone even tries to attack you, you use your 60 second boost to just fly even higher and zoom away. It's WoWP's version of carriers/arty :haw:

Turmoilx
Nov 24, 2015

I possibly could of done something more effective with this money but I'm not sure.
all chat? downloaded. im gonna play on EU since NA is probably dead

NerdyMcNerdNerd
Aug 3, 2004

Lol.i halbve already saod i inferno circstances wanttpgback

Turmoilx posted:

all chat? downloaded. im gonna play on EU since NA is probably dead

I was going to give you a playercount for NA but there doesn't actually seem to be any kind of counter like on WoT or WoWS.

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012

Burt posted:

Nice.

So am I correct in thinking;

Lightning bolts = creds
Medals = exp?

You get medals for stuff that affects the amount of combat points you get, like bombing bases, killing NPC planes that are defending a base and killing players attacking a base?

I am seriously a bit confused about scoring in games as when I think I have a good game killing loads of players I get poo poo exp but then when I drop a couple of bombs, shoot an AA post and knock a few bombers down I get way more?

Also the bombers. I got the Blenheim and how you play it is get to 3000m, press left shift to open up your bomb sight, and rain destruction on bases with your very rapidly respawning bombs. Anyone even tries to attack you, you use your 60 second boost to just fly even higher and zoom away. It's WoWP's version of carriers/arty :haw:

This only works with the blenheim and a-26 bombers. And it is the reason I didn't bother even attempting the t8 one (also, the cost is about twice the planned gold cost post event will be). By t8, heavy fighters will regularly be hanging out around your ceiling as well and their cannons can and will gently caress you up in a hurry. On the other hand, you do have quad jets to make a quick escape I suppose.

That said, is there a t8 premium I should keep my eye out ofr to grab if it comes up? I assume the collector's pack thing isn't worth it?

Mainly, I need a way to make more money. I can break around 100k at best and that is with my bombers.

Edit: as for bolts versus medals. As far as I have been able to tell, bolts is raw damage which affects credits. Medals is reward for doing your plane's role. I have no idea how that rolls in, but that is what affects it.

Polyakov
Mar 22, 2012

Nordick posted:

Also I'm starting to buy into Burt's Beaufighter hype, because I'm having a great time with the tier 4 Blenheim F and this thing is basically a ghetto Beaufighter.

The Beaufighter is loving nuts, its just got so much firepower.

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King
Question about the game, currently going through and clearing out the tier 2 American planes, but I've noticed for some planes, I'm only able to upgrade one of the two guns? What's up with this? Is the extra damage at a different optimal distance worth it? Edit: also is there a goon channel like the other world of games?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I ventured into the forums to see if there was any info on the differences between the lines. It turns out the old players with 30k games hate the change. I was an alpha tester and kept giving up on the game in alpha and closed beta and open beta and general release because the game sucked. But no, the game that was probably a money sink was obviously perfect because it was more like a flight simulator.

A flight simulator controlled by a mouse and a few key bindings that don't reflect the actual flight experience. Christ.

biglads
Feb 21, 2007

Greggorian posted:

Question about the game, currently going through and clearing out the tier 2 American planes, but I've noticed for some planes, I'm only able to upgrade one of the two guns? What's up with this? Is the extra damage at a different optimal distance worth it? Edit: also is there a goon channel like the other world of games?

It's usually separated between cowling guns and wing guns with only one sort being upgradable.

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King

biglads posted:

It's usually separated between cowling guns and wing guns with only one sort being upgradable.

Yeah, I see that with the Hawk 75M. There's the wing mount guns, which can be upgraded after the frame upgrade, but there's also 2 seperate Synchronized machine guns, both in the nose. But only one can upgrade to a 12.7mm machine gun. It seems so weird you would change one gun, but not the other.

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Greggorian posted:

Yeah, I see that with the Hawk 75M. There's the wing mount guns, which can be upgraded after the frame upgrade, but there's also 2 seperate Synchronized machine guns, both in the nose. But only one can upgrade to a 12.7mm machine gun. It seems so weird you would change one gun, but not the other.

Some prewar US planes featured mismatched synchronized guns because ???

Usually a .30 and a .50 in the nose, and then the inevitable upgunned variant would have an additional pair of .50s or .30s in the wings.

Greggorian
Feb 28, 2003
Teh Slacker King

YellerBill posted:

Some prewar US planes featured mismatched synchronized guns because ???

Usually a .30 and a .50 in the nose, and then the inevitable upgunned variant would have an additional pair of .50s or .30s in the wings.

That's dumb and it makes me uncomfortable

MREBoy
Mar 14, 2005

MREs - They're whats for breakfast, lunch AND dinner !
So is there any consensus as to when it's worth bothering to put equipment upgrades onto a plane ? I've already plowed thru to Tier 3 on one of the American lines and I'm thinking it would be a bit of a waste to put something on a plane that might see maybe 10 missions maximum. Also, are there any viable mods or modpacks out there ?

Ferrovanadium
Mar 22, 2013

APEX PREDATOR

Greggorian posted:

That's dumb and it makes me uncomfortable

It gets really fun in War Thunder when you're juggling different ammo counts for each gun (the .30 usually gets ~500 rounds while the .50 gets 200)

I'm glad that's not a thing in this game, because i'm bad at planes

Burt
Sep 23, 2007

Poke.

MREBoy posted:

So is there any consensus as to when it's worth bothering to put equipment upgrades onto a plane ? I've already plowed thru to Tier 3 on one of the American lines and I'm thinking it would be a bit of a waste to put something on a plane that might see maybe 10 missions maximum. Also, are there any viable mods or modpacks out there ?

Put it on the first plane you level, then when you upgrade don't sell it, dismount it, ok I know it's 10 gold, but it's worth it.

The equipment goes up in stages, so you can use the same stuff from tier 1 to tier 3, then when you get a tier 4 equip it then use it until it no longer fits. I use the stuff that gives you a few more HP% points and extra armour plates as they make you a bit more survivable.
I'm pretty sure at the higher tiers this may not be the optimum way to go but for sure low tier is all about just staying alive.

Also worth putting on your premiums obviously.

Talking of which, when I swap a pilot into a premium it says I get pilot exp but that specialisation is halted. Anyone know if this means anything?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JuffoWup
Mar 28, 2012
I always get the gun/bomb optics on my planes. Like camo net in tanks, they can be freely dismounted.

• Locked thread