Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jit3YhGx5pU

Walking Oscar statue Frances McDormand plays Mildred Hayes, an embittered mother fighting to have the truth about her daughter (tortured, raped, burned - you see a brief photo of her toasted marshmallow corpse) dug up by cops she considers complacent, among them Sherrif Willougby (Woody Harrelson) and local dipshit Jason Dixon (Sam Rockwell). To provoke them into action, she buys three billboards on the edge of town near her house from the local advertising agent (played by an adorably twinky Caleb Landry Jones) that read:

RAPED WHILE DYING
STILL NO ARRESTS?
HOW COME, CHIEF WILLOUGBY?

What follows is both expected and unexpected. Martin McDonagh, in his typical style, takes familiar story aspects (in clumsier hands the same story could be a weepy Lifetime original) and twists them with brutal, unflinching cruelty to highlight the spaces between people where kindness goes to die. McDormand plays Hayes with such ferocity it's kind of a surprise that she's able to form her rage into words, but she does, and she's got lots of them, and most of them are foul. The surprise is the degree to which that ferocity and unwavering need for revenge (and even martyrdom) is colored by uncertainty - it turns out, for example, that the lack of conclusions isn't because the cops are lazy or stupid, but because there simply weren't any leads, but Hayes pushes on regardless.

She, like most people, have an innate desire for closure, and as the town turns against her, it only stokes her indignation. Sometimes it feels good to spit back, but McDonagh doesn't let it become a story of righteous vengeance, which would be too simple and pat. In other words, he doesn't allow Hayes to be the only character with agency, and the best aspect of the film is the way it reflects our current broken political atmosphere. How many Thanksgiving dinners are going to be a mirror image of this film's tensions?

My main problem with this film is how drawn out it is. McDonagh insists on inserting endless soft country-music interludes, and I don't feel like he was able to stick the landing in his shifts from bleak, misanthropic social satire to more straightforward rural drama. I think this will function better for some people than others, but I couldn't shake off the feeling of absurdity (there's a scene with a deer that borders on Tennesee Williams parody). If the fusion works for you, then congrats! You've won the movie.

Anyways, this is either in wide release or it's rolling out presently, if it turns up you should definitely go see it. McDormand's performance is like watching a haystack burn, and McDonagh's sense of humor is well displayed.

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Nov 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Seven Psychopaths was brilliant and this looks drat drat drat good.

Zeris
Apr 15, 2003

Quality posting direct from my brain to your face holes.
drat fine writeup, OP.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Totally agree with that first post. There were a few disparate elements that dont weave together well, but maybe thats the point? I dunno. Still, drat fine movie to watch.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum
Saw this at Alamo tonight...I'll try to formulate up some deeper thoughts later...but man, it's was just a brutal film. I felt physically drained after watching it. Highly recommended

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

jivjov posted:

Saw this at Alamo tonight...I'll try to formulate up some deeper thoughts later...but man, it's was just a brutal film. I felt physically drained after watching it. Highly recommended

when I first saw it at a film festival a month back, I described it as the funniest movie that'll leave you completely shaken by the end.

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

when I first saw it at a film festival a month back, I described it as the funniest movie that'll leave you completely shaken by the end.

I've never seen an audience go from laughing to dead silent so fast as when they cut right to the pictures of the daughter's body in the case file.

Also I was not expecting that ending, but I really liked it.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Grizzled Patriarch posted:

I've never seen an audience go from laughing to dead silent so fast as when they cut right to the pictures of the daughter's body in the case file.

Also I was not expecting that ending, but I really liked it.

Yeah that's a really well-timed cut, it got gasps both times I saw it.

This ending for me is the new No Country for Old Men ending, where I feel like half the people who see it are gonna hate it but you can safely disregard those people.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
If you like you can pretend this is a prequel to Seven Psychopaths jack o diamonds :)

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
Something I really enjoyed was that while the trailers presented Mildred as being fully in the right and her case unfairly ignored by police...the actual film was so much more nuanced, and honestly felt more like an ensemble piece

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Yeah that's a really well-timed cut, it got gasps both times I saw it.

This ending for me is the new No Country for Old Men ending, where I feel like half the people who see it are gonna hate it but you can safely disregard those people.

I like that the movie sells the ending as this kind of like, "heck yeah!" moment but it's actually just really sad and hosed up.

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

God drat this movie goes from funny to dark to really funny to holy poo poo this is dark to man this is great to man this is horrible for everyone involve gently caress.

What an amazing movie. There are so many golden moments in it and everyone is great in it.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
SAY GOODBYE TO TELEPHONE SEX
Plaster Town Cop
very weird to see Mac's mom from It's Always Sunny as an even less likable character

Grizzled Patriarch
Mar 27, 2014

These dentures won't stop me from tearing out jugulars in Thunderdome.

Also anyone that liked this should check out McDonagh's plays, finding The Pillowman in my middle school library probably traumatized me.

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
his short Six Shooter is excellent intro to his sense of humor/themes: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=T9w9BJXeL4E

Happy Noodle Boy
Jul 3, 2002

Oh I will say that the letters from Willoughby were all pretty god drat funny and sad. The one for his wife was heartbreaking. The one for Mildred is hilarious. Him starting them with “hi. Dead Willoughby here” was just this really dark appreciation of where he was headed and how committed he was to it. How he takes the billboards and makes them his own post death was a pretty great gently caress you. “I hope they don’t kill you” got a pretty big laugh from the theater. The absurdity of Jason being oblivious to the fire while reading this heartwarming letter was great.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
It feels like the identity of the killer is incredibly obvious, is that the case and does it make the movie less good?

Specifically: We know Peter Dinklage is in the movie, but he's only in one shot in the trailer, so it seems like a gimme that he's the killer

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

precision posted:

It feels like the identity of the killer is incredibly obvious, is that the case and does it make the movie less good?

Specifically: We know Peter Dinklage is in the movie, but he's only in one shot in the trailer, so it seems like a gimme that he's the killer

Well if you want spoiled the killer is not revealed and is probably not a character in the movie but the short answer to your speculation is no

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
OK good. I hate it when things get meta-spoiled like that.

whatis
Jun 6, 2012
this is a good movie. i recommend this movie

lizardman
Jun 30, 2007

by R. Guyovich
This is the kind of plot that seems like it should be based on a true story. In fact I'm a little bit shocked that it apparently isn't. It just nails that "truth is stranger than fiction" vibe.

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

The scene that stays with me the most is the sudden cough bit. There's all this tension and we see Hayes and Willougby inch towards becoming enemies, only for this sudden moment that brings them back to earth. It's both relieving and incredibly sad to watch.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Gavok posted:

The scene that stays with me the most is the sudden cough bit. There's all this tension and we see Hayes and Willougby inch towards becoming enemies, only for this sudden moment that brings them back to earth. It's both relieving and incredibly sad to watch.

That scene didn't work for the audience I was with at all because everyone laughed when it happened.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

That scene didn't work for the audience I was with at all because everyone laughed when it happened.

ngl that is a very strange audience reaction

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
my audience applauded loudly after Mildred's monologue to the priest

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

ngl that is a very strange audience reaction

Different audiences have different energies.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Different audiences have different energies.

For sure, that's still bizarre though. I saw the movie twice with two very different audiences (a film festival crowd and a general release art house crowd - film festival crowd was way better) and both times that bit got gasps.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

For sure, that's still bizarre though. I saw the movie twice with two very different audiences (a film festival crowd and a general release art house crowd - film festival crowd was way better) and both times that bit got gasps.

It’s not bizarre if you have an audience that’s really enjoying the black comedy elements, and it can easily scan as a moment of shocking, dark hilarity.

edit

LAUGHED AT MOVIE
AND STILL NO REMORSE?

Magic Hate Ball fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Nov 27, 2017

china bot
Sep 7, 2014

you listen HERE pal
Plaster Town Cop
I noticed that Red Welby was reading A Good Man is Hard to Find in his first scene, and looking at Wikipedia brought me to this (spoilered to be safe):

Wikipedia posted:

There are varying opinions of "A Good Man Is Hard to Find." Most of this discrepancy centers on the grandmother's act of touching The Misfit.

The dominant opinion is that the grandmother's final act was one of grace and charity, which implies that "A Good Man Is Hard to Find" was written to show a transformation in the grandmother as the story progresses. In the beginning, she was more concerned about looking like a respectable person than being one. This is shown by her selfish desire to go to Tennessee instead of Florida and, more importantly, by her attempts to save her own life, even as her family continued to die around her (made things worse if she had kept her mouth shut, none of them would have been killed). In the end, she realizes she has not led a good life and reaches out to touch her killer, The Misfit, in a final act of grace and charity. This "epiphany" resembles the grandmother's newly found redemption. Even though she fails, her attempt is not lost on The Misfit, who remarks that through enduring a constant infliction of violence, she would have been a good woman.

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

Dinosaur Gum
The woman two seats over from me did a loud *GASP* at every possibly tiny "twist" the film had. It sucked.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

It’s not bizarre if you have an audience that’s really enjoying the black comedy elements, and it can easily scan as a moment of shocking, dark hilarity. You seem to be taking this scene really personally.

Film festival audience was super into the black comedy bits. Not sure where you're going with the "you seem to be taking this personally" thing, I'm just observing that laughter is a weird reaction to that scene.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Film festival audience was super into the black comedy bits. Not sure where you're going with the "you seem to be taking this personally" thing, I'm just observing that laughter is a weird reaction to that scene.

If you'd been in the audience I was at, it wouldn't have seemed weird. An audience reaction can create an atmosphere that influences the film - this is why sometimes a play flops one night and sizzles the next. It's not like we were all yukking it up over Schindler's List.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

It's a less extreme example but it just reminds me of stuff like all the stories of people cracking up at Hateful Eight showings when JJL got punched in the face or people dropped racial slurs on Samuel Jackson. Which is to say, I can see it in a "nervous laughter" type way but not a "now that's funny!" type way.

I guess i have been in crowds where if a movie has a lot of jokes, they get so into laughing that they also laugh at ings that aren't jokes.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

It's a less extreme example but it just reminds me of stuff like all the stories of people cracking up at Hateful Eight showings when JJL got punched in the face or people dropped racial slurs on Samuel Jackson. Which is to say, I can see it in a "nervous laughter" type way but not a "now that's funny!" type way.

I guess there are some crowds where if a movie has a lot of jokes, they get so into laughing that they also laugh at ings that aren't jokes.

Equating laughing at a dark comedy scene with laughing at a racial slur is really loving weird of you, ngl.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Equating laughing at a dark comedy scene with laughing at a racial slur is really loving weird of you, ngl.

Okay dude I apologize for calling your audience weird, willing to entertain the possibility that I am also weird

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
My audience also laughed at the blood cough, but then got quieter as it settled in what was happening. My initial thought was maybe he does that a lot due to the cancer, and coughed on her on purpose. But five seconds later it's clear woody wasnt pranking

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

Okay dude I apologize for calling your audience weird, willing to entertain the possibility that I am also weird

Well, it's interesting because I think that's why the film's turns towards more earnest drama fell flat for me, because that key scene in particular failed to act as a signal that the story would be shifting its genres. I'd kinda like to see it again because it might land better with a different audience - the whole second half felt incoherent, and someone behind me said "oh..." in a really puzzled voice when the credits came up. I do earnestly think that this film needed another script pass to trim it down and assemble itself better, particularly in organizing its own allegiances for and against its characters. McDonagh cripples himself by playing so fast and loose with an ensemble cast, which makes the turns of character that could be dramatic feel simply like comical flip-flops and muddles the ending. Or at least it did for the audience of psychopaths I saw it with.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Well, it's interesting because I think that's why the film's turns towards more earnest drama fell flat for me, because that key scene in particular failed to act as a signal that the story would be shifting its genres. I'd kinda like to see it again because it might land better with a different audience - the whole second half felt incoherent, and someone behind me said "oh..." in a really puzzled voice when the credits came up. I do earnestly think that this film needed another script pass to trim it down and assemble itself better, particularly in organizing its own allegiances for and against its characters. McDonagh cripples himself by playing so fast and loose with an ensemble cast, which makes the turns of character that could be dramatic feel simply like comical flip-flops and muddles the ending. Or at least it did for the audience of psychopaths I saw it with.

I can definitely see how it plays different with a different audience. Like I said, the general release audience I saw it with was way less fun than the film festival audience - it was a very art-house crowd and they seemed to be treating it as a Very Serious Movie with some jokes as opposed to the caustic black comedy that it is.

Disagree on the second half feeling incoherent though. I'm curious what you mean by "allegiances for and against its characters". I don't really see the film as having any, or needing any. That's part of what I like about it actually, although I can see why it turns some people off.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

I can definitely see how it plays different with a different audience. Like I said, the general release audience I saw it with was way less fun than the film festival audience - it was a very art-house crowd and they seemed to be treating it as a Very Serious Movie with some jokes as opposed to the caustic black comedy that it is.

Disagree on the second half feeling incoherent though. I'm curious what you mean by "allegiances for and against its characters". I don't really see the film as having any, or needing any. That's part of what I like about it actually, although I can see why it turns some people off.

I was going to write something less productive but actually I'd really prefer just to hear your interpretation of the last half. How are we meant to take her decision to decide, on the road, whether or not to kill the rapist? Is the soft-hearted drama meant to be funny, or sad? My sense was that McDonagh was aiming to trick the audience by making them think she was on her way to redemption, before pulling the rug out and saying "haha, just kidding, she learned the wrong lesson and now she's a misguided vigilante. I just couldn't tell why we were assaulted with multiple soft-country interludes, if they weren't meant to be parodic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Magic Hate Ball posted:

I was going to write something less productive but actually I'd really prefer just to hear your interpretation of the last half. How are we meant to take her decision to decide, on the road, whether or not to kill the rapist? Is the soft-hearted drama meant to be funny, or sad? My sense was that McDonagh was aiming to trick the audience by making them think she was on her way to redemption, before pulling the rug out and saying "haha, just kidding, she learned the wrong lesson and now she's a misguided vigilante. I just couldn't tell why we were assaulted with multiple soft-country interludes, if they weren't meant to be parodic.

Aaaack most of my reply got deleted but lemme try and more or less recreate it:

Like most of McDonagh's stuff, particularly his movies, it's supposed to be both funny and sad.

I don't think McDonagh is trying to trick the audience at all. I do think that he is pointedly denying the audience the catharsis they want or expect not just from the mystery, which isn't solved, but from the revenge, which not only do we not get to see and take part in, we don't even know if it occurs at all - clearly neither Dixon or Mildred really have their hearts in it at the end, and it seems equally likely they'll turn around and call it off as go out in a Rolling Thunder style blaze of glory. If I had to pin it down to one thesis or statement (which I don't really wanna do, because I like the ambiguity of it), it's that if someone is dealing with a loss so great, you really can't say for them what's the right way or the wrong way to deal with it

As far as the country interludes, I didn't catch this on my first viewing, but they take place at the beginning and end and are both different versions of the same Townes Van Zandt song, one which deals heavily with feelings of losing someone and how the singer is dealing with those feelings or failing to, so I think they make nice bookends to the movie and to Mildred's shifting feelings on losing her daughter. At any rate, I think they're sincere.

Uncle Boogeyman fucked around with this message at 04:18 on Nov 28, 2017

• Locked thread