Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
Hi everyone, looking for some advice.

I currently work as a transformation project manager for the NHS, principally using Lean, but also some good old fashioned cajoling/bribing/persuading. The NHS is rather stressful at the moment, my Trust's CFO and COO have just resigned with no notice and the clinical teams I work with are overwhelmed with just keeping the service going. I've been here 18 months, and I've never felt quite "right" right here, despite knowing and liking my boss and director (two separate people). I suffer from on and off depression (it's very much on at the moment), and I'm worried that the job at the moment is just plain bad for me. I'm not performing at the levels I can, I'm putting on weight and I'm pretty unhappy.

So, I'm looking for alternatives. I'd like to do something a bit less stressful, and possibly less people orientated, mainly in the interest of preserving my mental health.

I've spend 4 years as a lean project manager, and 2 before that as a governance analyst type. I've got a law degree and am technically a barrister, though it was over 5 years ago and I never got a pupillage so I can't practice. Also have a biochem undergrad degree. I enjoy most of my job except the persuading people to change and holding them accountable if they don't. I've not got any real experience of directly line managing anyone.

I currently live in South London and would like to remain there, and have enough savings that I can afford to take a pay cut for a bit, or even retrain. I'd kinda like to not retrain again though. I value stability, and would prefer not to set up as a sole trader consultant or anything like that. Ideally would prefer something without too much travel.

Given the above, what other careers/jobs could I do?

Happy to field questions from the hivemind if that will help you help me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

• Locked thread