Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic
I don't think so

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fluffy Bunnies
Jan 10, 2009

as a southerner: no

Omnikin
May 29, 2007

Press 'E' for Medic

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

Thank you for your input

Are there any Northerners who can chime in? Is mac & cheese ruining the sanctity of the turkey a culture thing?

Mr. Meagles
Apr 30, 2004

Out here, everything hurts

at least half the dishes at both of my thanksgiving dinners involved cheese so

the children at my evening dinner mostly ate cheesy potatoes, mac and cheese and some kind of cheese...garlic bread stuff and didn't eat the turkey, stuffing or vegetables. this is what children eat I guess.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

More like "Bulges Adventure"
I've never had it at Thanksgiving, but I see no reason why it shouldn't be. Full disclosure, I am a displaced American in a country that doesn't celebrate Thanksgiving who settled for McDonald's, so my opinion probably doesn't hold as much water as others.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
only if you put a cut up hotdog in it

RestingB1tchFace
Jul 4, 2016

Opinions are like a$$holes....everyone has one....but mines the best!!!
My sister has made baked macaroni & cheese the past two thanksgiving. I see no problem with it as a side. From Minnesota.

Otto Von Jizzmark
Dec 27, 2004
At Canadian thanksgiving they call it kraft thanksgiving dinner.

Hector Beerlioz
Jun 16, 2010

aw, hec
mac and cheese is great and is welcome at any meal

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

Depends if you make it or use instant.

givepatajob
Apr 8, 2003

One finds that this is the best of all possible worlds.
Yes, unless you're one of those retards who puts onions in it.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug
I do a jalapeno mac and cheese that goes over pretty well. Can always add bacon/ground sausage/shredded chicken, but that feels like overkill for thanksgiving.

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

givepatajob posted:

EdwardSwifferhands
Apr 27, 2008

I will probably lick whatever you put in front of me.
If you're OK with Mac and cheese you may as well go full garbage and serve chicken nuggets, hot dogs, ketchup to put on all three dishes and some Oreos for dessert. I don't see much difference. Garbage food for garbage people.

Disco Godfather
May 31, 2011

If the only mac and cheese you've ever seen came out of a box you are the garbage hick you're describing.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Only if it contains more butter than either Macaroni or Cheese.

NorgLyle
Sep 20, 2002

Do you think I posted to this forum because I value your companionship?

Disco Godfather posted:

Depends if you make it or use instant.
If you'd put instant mac and cheese on your table you're probably already eating gravy out of a jar (or packet) and there's no point in even pretending. Mac and cheese is fantastic with traditional Thanksgiving dinner and I am forever indebted to the coworker who introduced me to the idea nearly ten years ago.

DoubleCakes
Jan 14, 2015

It's not a main dish but you can serve it alongside some turkey potates, carrots, and maybe some ham, stuffing, and perogi casserole, but don't be that guy that puts it second place to turkey.

Don't be that criminal.

fishing with the fam
Feb 29, 2008

Durr
Probably gonna make baked mac and cheese for Christmas. It goes so well with ham.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Hector Beerlioz posted:

mac and cheese is great and is welcome at any meal

yes

Disco Godfather posted:

If the only mac and cheese you've ever seen came out of a box you are the garbage hick you're describing.

yes

Bogus Adventure
Jan 11, 2017

I imagine that Mac & Cheese + Turkey Stuffing = Deliciousville

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope

Omnikin posted:

Are there any Northerners who can chime in? Is mac & cheese ruining the sanctity of the turkey a culture thing?

i am a third-generation new yorker, and mac & cheese is essential for all holiday feasts

i am also black, and my entire extended family is also black, if that's a factor

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
i think that so long as you have a nice spread no single item is gonna make or break a holiday meal.

walgreenslatino
Jun 2, 2015

Lipstick Apathy
If it's homemade yeah

Duke Pukem
Oct 23, 2010

Three cheers for dark beer!

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

you aint no southerner

Antiquated Pants
Feb 23, 2011

Oh god I'm so lonely in here...
:negative:

Had some Shells N Velveeta at our Thanksgiving spread. Everyone loves it and it's an easy extra side to mix things up a bit.

Even the green bean casserole was pretty good? Maybe the recipe is newer because I wouldn't touch the stuff when I was younger. My extended family members are all trying to eat healthier in recent years and the food has gotten better for it!

Skypie
Sep 28, 2008

givepatajob posted:

Wait people put onion in mac and cheese?

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
Think of how much better everything in the United States would have been if the Italians landed at Plymouth Rock instead of the wacko Puritains.

I know Mac and Cheese isn’t really authentic Italian but my point stands.

feller
Jul 5, 2006

Antiquated Pants posted:

Had some Shells N Velveeta at our Thanksgiving spread. Everyone loves it and it's an easy extra side to mix things up a bit.

Even the green bean casserole was pretty good? Maybe the recipe is newer because I wouldn't touch the stuff when I was younger. My extended family members are all trying to eat healthier in recent years and the food has gotten better for it!

you think healthy food tastes better? u might be trying too hard here

Bust Rodd
Oct 21, 2008

by VideoGames
You guys wanna hear some hosed up rear end bullshit?

TOO BAD HERE GOES: my uncle Gary cooks one dish that he not only brings to every family event, but makes for himself multiple times a week.

It's a steam tray of spaghetti (like plain spaghetti) with slices of Kraft Singles stirred in.

A steam tray

of Spaghetti

with slices

of Kraft Singles

mixed in

I've personally watched him consume 3 plates of this at Thanksgiving dinner, with only the bare minimum amount of Turkey on his plate so as to not arouse suspicion

I asked my Stepdad about it and he just said "man, dang it, Gary and his mac n cheese sure is something isn't it?"

The Fuzzy Hulk
Nov 22, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT CROSSING THE STREAMS

Oregon here and there is no way I’d serve macaroni as a thanksgiving side. I make it from scratch a couple times a month anyway, and thanksgiving dinner should be special. Adding mac and cheese to it would make it more like a regular dinner, since it is eaten year round.

A lovingly prepared, brined and smoked turkey intended to be shared as a family shouldn’t be served with the same side dish that middle school cafeterias have for lunch every Tuesday.

KakerMix
Apr 8, 2004

8.2 M.P.G.
:byetankie:
Yo Thanksgiving is about stuffing your gob and taking a nap on the couch you should eat whatever you'd like

GORILLA BASTARD
Jun 20, 2005

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Yes, for children & southerners.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

SLICK GOKU BABY
Jun 12, 2001

Hey Hey Let's Go! 喧嘩する
大切な物を protect my balls

IMO macaroni & cheese has no business at a thankgiving dinner unless it has beans in it.

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum
smoked a turkey breast, breasts are best

Tony quidprano
Jan 19, 2014
IM SO BAD AT ACTUALLY TALKING ABOUT F1 IN ANY MEANINGFUL WAY SOME DUDE WITH TOO MUCH FREE MONEY WILL KEEP CHANGING IT UNTIL I SHUT THE FUCK UP OR ACTUALLY POST SOMETHING THAT ISNT SPEWING HATE/SLURS/TELLING PEOPLE TO KILL THEMSELVES

Omnikin posted:

I don't think so

Nice thread jackass, I wonder where you got the idea.

berth ell pup
Mar 20, 2017

I am a business magnet.
thanksgiving food is bad food but mac n cheese is good.

1500quidporsche posted:

go get probated again plz

let it mellow
Jun 1, 2000

Dinosaur Gum

1500quidporsche posted:

don’t be mad dude since nobody knows wtf u talking about anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

A Tad Ghostal
Dec 2, 2014

give the original topic the respect it deserves you stupid meatball

biting other thread should be a Cardinal Sin

• Locked thread