Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Twenty Four

This is the season for giving and receiving gifts, and over the years I have learned a knack for figuring out what is in a box. Sometimes it takes a shake, looking at the size, or some intuition, but more often then not I can figure it out!

Now I could use my skills to ruin the magic and surprise of a great gift, but instead, I would like to help my friends out. Everyone has that strange family member or friend who you know will give you something odd. You know who they are.

So instead of looking disappointed and asking "so, umm, what is it?" or just going "um, uh, thanks?" just post in this thread and I will guess what your present will be and you will be prepared for the holidays!

Then you will know what you are in for, can take it in stride, and say "Thank you" without having that awkward moment!

No promises on the gifts being anything great, as they probably won't be anything but strange and hopefully funny, but at least you will know what you are getting into when you sit down and unwrap them!

So post ITT for a visit from the Gift Whisperer and find out what your weird holiday gift is!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Koishi Komeiji

So be it, make your attempt op :c00lbert:

wearing a lampshade

When I was a child I found where my parents kept the Christmas gifts and discovered I was gonna get Thomas the Tank engine, a toy I really, desperately wanted, and I was so excited. But Christmas morning I had to pretend I didn't know I was getting it, which was very taxing as I was focused on trying to appear genuinely shocked and amazed, and I realized I didn't have the same enthusiasm as when I found the toy originally. Had I simply waited until Christmas morning, I would have been overjoyed, yet as I unwrapped it and tried to yell things like "oh wow! Thomas?! This is so great!" I couldn't help but be conscious of the fact I was a fraud. I overanalyzed my every action, my shouts of joy, the speed at which I unwrapped the present, questioning whether or not I should play with it immediately or continue on to other gifts. All the while I watched my parents' faces; did they know that I had found Thomas the week before? Had they known this whole time? Or did they at least suspect? I think maybe if I had known they were playing along with my ruse, it would have lessened my feelings of guilt - but they seemed none the wiser. They were happy with my "excitement", blissfully unaware that what they were witnessing was just an empty performance, a farce. It was a lesson to never spoil the surprise.

But now I usually just get gift cards or wine or whatever, so guess away!

Twenty Four

albany academy posted:

When I was a child I found where my parents kept the Christmas gifts and discovered I was gonna get Thomas the Tank engine, a toy I really, desperately wanted, and I was so excited. But Christmas morning I had to pretend I didn't know I was getting it, which was very taxing as I was focused on trying to appear genuinely shocked and amazed, and I realized I didn't have the same enthusiasm as when I found the toy originally. Had I simply waited until Christmas morning, I would have been overjoyed, yet as I unwrapped it and tried to yell things like "oh wow! Thomas?! This is so great!" I couldn't help but be conscious of the fact I was a fraud. I overanalyzed my every action, my shouts of joy, the speed at which I unwrapped the present, questioning whether or not I should play with it immediately or continue on to other gifts. All the while I watched my parents' faces; did they know that I had found Thomas the week before? Had they known this whole time? Or did they at least suspect? I think maybe if I had known they were playing along with my ruse, it would have lessened my feelings of guilt - but they seemed none the wiser. They were happy with my "excitement", blissfully unaware that what they were witnessing was just an empty performance, a farce. It was a lesson to never spoil the surprise.

But now I usually just get gift cards or wine or whatever, so guess away!

I am sorry for your guilt, but, I think your parents would forgive you and find the story adorable and you should just be okay with it!

Twenty Four

As for now, I see you getting a box full of $8.27 of loose pennies, but one of them is vintage and worth about 50 cents, if you want to sort through them all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Twenty Four

Koishi Komeiji posted:

So be it, make your attempt op :c00lbert:

*Shaking your present around a bit* It seems to be three goblets, or chalices. One brings eternal happiness, but the other two make you gassy forever.

• Locked thread