Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

Imagine four 'mechs waiting in a queue. Time works the same way.
gently caress you I'm making a thread.

So way back when on ye olde internet, there were only a few mmos

Ultima Online
Everquest
Dark age of camelot
World of Warcraft this poo poo wasn't out yet

and like 50 billion bad muds

Some nerds decided to do a kick starter

Whaaat? way back then? Yah

They were called Glitchless and wanted to make a mmo called dawn and gently caress you I want to talk about this because it is funny

http://www.glitchless.com/dawn.html

Some nerds wanted something more in a video game and some other people figured, let us prank and then scam these guys. And so they did.

This poo poo is old, and stupid, and ignore it if you want. But TLDR some guys made a joke, then decided to scam people out of money, from what we can call a proto kickstarter

quote:

Currently in alpha stages of development, Dawn is set to revolutionize the way we think of and play computer games. By incorporating aspects from nearly every popular game genre (RPG, FPS, RTS) Dawn will be a reality in which players will have true freedom. With freedom comes responsibility, however. Dawn will not be a world of pre-made cities moderated by invincible GM's and respawning NPC's, instead it will be a vast unexplored, mysterious world in which players can cooperate to build their own cities and kingdoms. Set in an immensely large, spherical world the inhabitants will live a life of war, trade, and adventure. Unlike its predecessors (Everquest, Asheron's Call, Ultima Online...) Dawn will be a well balanced haven for both hardcore role players and gamers. Please click here to visit the required reading section to get a brief overview of some of the key concepts of the game. Also be sure to check out the Dawn FAQ for some quick answers to basic questions.

A closed but large-scale beta is aimed for Spring 2001. For an opportunity to be on the Dawn beta testing team email betatest@glitchless.com. Please include past gaming experience and where you learned of Dawn in the email.

A word from the creator:

Dawn will be strictly multiplayer. Those of you who are only familiar with Diablo type games and haven't played games like Everquest, Ultima Online, or Asheron's Call are probably not going to completely understand the exact nature of the game until you play it or one of those mentioned. In order to play you must log on to our servers which will contain thousands of other players. You will be part of an immense world filled with both friend and foe, all cooperating and competing to stay alive and advance themselves physically, mentally, and socially. Some will become rulers, some will take trades, and others will be adventurers and conquerors. Once the game begins it will never end, once you log on you will never want to log off. After all, 'reality' is merely what you perceive through your 5 senses, without them all you have is the ability to think. Dawn will flood two of those senses with such unbelievable sensation and genuine emotion that you may very well forget the other three, and believe me, you'll be thinking. So bid your friends and family farewell and start up the I.V., your destiny awaits you.

-Jeff Friedman
Lead Game Design

Look at this loving FAQ

https://web.archive.org/web/20001109012700fw_/http://www.glitchless.com:80/faq.html

Yah lots of words, but I hope some of that looks familiar. Same empty and broken promises current early access devs do to get your money.

They got so popular with a scam they made a mud to keep people strung along. Then finally this.

quote:

5/31/01 - Dusk: Dawn Tactics

The lack of Dawn updates in the past couple months has been due to our focus on our new title Dusk: Dawn Tactics. Because of the lack of confidence game publishers have in the soon-to-be-flooded MMORPG market, it has been onerous for us to secure the capital necessary to launch the Dawn Beta as scheduled. Certainly having NO intentions of aborting the project, Glitchless has decided to produce and release a prequel to Dawn in order to establish the credibility and capital needed to release such an expensive and 'risky' title. Glitchless is currently negotiating possible deals with several undisclosed international publishers for the release of Dusk.

Although a spin-off of Dawn, Dusk: Dawn Tactics is by no means a small scale game. Using the Dawn 3D Engine and much of the same media, Dusk offers nearly the same level of immersion and lore as Dawn, but in a Real Time Strategy (RTS) form. Like in similar titles (Age of the EmpiresTM, WarcraftTM, Red AlertTM, etc) different races controlled by both computer and human players will wage a to-the-death war for global dominance. Thanks to the incorporation of the Dawn 3D Engine, however, Players of Dusk will be offered the unique ability to view and control the game through the eyes of the actual characters as well as through the traditional 3rd-Person Isometric perspective. The game takes place, as the name implies, after Dawn, in the world of ruin that has been left after total chaos has all but destroyed the planet. The races (all 12 original Dawn Races) are strictly divided into separate warring parties each of which players have the ability to select and control.

In addition to the media added to the graphics section, more information will be released about the title on June 5th, 9pm EST at the Stratics hosted House of Commons IRC chat. As always the chat will be held in #DawnHOC on irc.stratics.com If you require more information on how to connect visit here.

They decided to actually make a game but because they had nothing to really show anyone nor any skills, they decided to make a RTS to get enough money to make a mmo of the scale you have never seen before.

But wait, we can still milk this. Lets check nov 2001

quote:

Current Product List

The following products are available for our title Race War Kingdoms

ALL Plane Access - $100
Dungeon Plane Access - $50
Sky Plane Access - $50
Water Access - $20
Dungeon Moutain Access - $20
Sky Cloud Access - $20
100,000,000 Gold - $50
300,000,000 Gold - $100

To order, or for more information on the products listed please visit our SSL secured order page here. Note: You must have a Race War Kingdoms account before placing orders. There are no refunds.

At some point they remembered people remembered their older promise to build a mmo, so nothing like a good name change.

quote:

Project X, now better known as Nodiatis, promises a world of unparalleled adventure and excitement for those who enjoy complex and strategic character development as well as the thrill of actually being able to test your character's power relative to the thousands of others who play alongside you. Nodiatis is a classical style RPG in an MMO setting, however, you will be surprised to find that the PvP aspect of the game is anything but classic. The release of Nodiatis will mark the end of boring PvP grinding with no risk and little reward. Based somewhat on the ideas conceptualized first for Dawn, the ability to become a permanent player killer - allowing you to attack anyone at anytime and steal some of their items - comes with the ultimate price upon death: no resurrection. The ability to risk all both in no rules PvP and structured duels and deathmatches is what will set Nodiatis apart from the hordes of carebear MMO's competing to best cater to the most casual of gamers.

The PvP of Nodiatis may be where it outshines other MMO's the most, but don't be foolish enough to underestimate the attention paid to PvE. In the land of Nodiatis all deity worship has been abandoned. Due to the extreme hardship of over 100 years of deceipt, corruption, and depravity, the people of Nodiatis have given up on worship after having received nothing but anguish in return. A thriving world once ruled by man has become a wasteland overrun by hordes of orcs, ogres, and even less sightly creatures. Faced with the constant threat of starvation, rape, and murder, the inhabitants of Nodiatis have only one goal in mind: to survive until tomorrow. With no deities to worship and no leaders to turn to they are a lost people on possibily their last leg of existence. Perhaps you will be the one to guide them out of darkness and into the light and present them an idol worthy to bow before.

Lets go all star citizen like 6 years later

quote:

Hope on the Horizon 3/31/07
The face of MMO's has changed since work began on Dawn and Project X. As the new titles have rolled out tailored for mass consumption they have been increasingly dumbed-down with both less risk and less reward. Glitchless makes no promise or prediction of when, but the 'what' will not change - a polished game with hardcore game mechanics. Any effort on our part to attract casual gamers via game description or advertisement is in hopes of showing them the light.

In the end though, they did make a product

https://nd1.nodiatis.com/

a web based mud with pictures and voice acting

I only just recently remembered this thing and how funny it was and I figured I would share some crazy poo poo with you guys since it turns out early access and scamming people was way older than I remembered.

Oh yah here are some dumb pictures

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Marxalot
Dec 24, 2008

Appropriator of
Dan Crenshaw's Eyepatch
That looks like a really really bad morrowind mod or something. Christ.

Mr. Pickles
Mar 19, 2014

glitchless is the developer who runs the browser game "Nodiatis"

That guy makes the most outrageously P2W games there ever were.

Looks like he's now trying to make a shroud of the avatar-like scam

Do NOT spend a single dollar

e: Oh, yeah op. Well he's scamming people as we speak, even if that game never becomes a thing. I played Nodiatis for a week, it's full of addicted people with potato computers who can't run anything else... Believe it or not they do give him money for ingame perks. He has a system, whenever someone buys something p2w, the game rewards the whole playerbase that is online at the time with some gold. So no matter how p2w the game scam is, the addicted playerbase LOVE it when someone buys something, because they too get a crumb. If you look at the forums, the #1 rule of playing nodiatis is: Always be online, don't miss out on the free gold from every p2w transaction. He's a good scammer, glitchless. Hats off

Mr. Pickles fucked around with this message at 12:50 on Dec 16, 2017

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

That is good that he has continued to scam people since 2001.

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

Shut up, Nick! You're not Twilight.
He has a proven track record! That means its going to be good right?

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord
so you're telling me they never added fetuspults?

but... I thought the company was at steak...

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I thought fetuspults was Dark and Light. Was it actually this game?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

Yeah, it was.

Third World Reagan
May 19, 2008

It is amazing how similar this is to other early access games that will promise it all. I am happy that the craft of fetuspults has evolved.

daslog
Dec 10, 2008

#essereFerrari
SADF

malhavok
Jan 18, 2013
poo poo, i thought this was coming back. Was looking forward to the entertainment value.

macdonal hamborkles
Mar 29, 2010

Twerk it good!
Who's rear end do I need to tickle for early access to this?

jiggerypokery
Feb 1, 2012

...But I could hardly wait six months with a red hot jape like that under me belt.

rear end tickling is one of several features due to be implemented in the pre-alpha version.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
Have they finally implemented horizontal digging?

housemaster!!1
Oct 6, 2015

DUNT 4GEHT 2 FLAAHP UR ARRMAZ
looks like an early version of darkfall

clone on the phone
Aug 5, 2003

I fired up this Nodiatis for a laugh and one of the classes is Alcoholic so it's basically GOAT.

Thursday Next
Jan 11, 2004

FUCK THE ISLE OF APPLES. FUCK THEM IN THEIR STUPID ASSES.
Holy gently caress I thought I was the only person alive who remembered "Dawn". Back in the age of Stratics and Lumthemad.net, everybody and their drat mother was making an MMO. I remember even Stratics - the site that breathlessly covered obvious vaporware like Rune Conquest - was skeptical of Dawn.

The main scammer behind Dawn was some idiot who had all these great ~ideas~ like being able to dig.

Digging was going to be very important. Very, very important. Yessiree. Digging.

See, you were going to be able to dig dungeons (?) and your friends could go through them somehow? But people pointed out that the whole world would be dug out in a matter of days. The scammer had a solution to this: you could only dig vertically!

Also, female toons would get pregnant and have babies and that would be your next character; you had to have a baby in order to make a new char. What if the lady gamers didn't want to have a character they couldn't use for several in-game months? Too bad! The baby would be an object while it was "growing up", so you could trade it or... use it as ammunition on a catapult.

I could never find anything about Dawn ever again - it's such a generic name for a non-existant bit of embarrassing history. And so many video games have Dawn in the title (Dawn of War, Red Dawn, etc). Sometimes I thought it was just a weird fever dream of mine, or an amalgamation of Rune Conquest and ???.

Rune Conquest was another bit of vaporware from the same time, see, only there's actual records of that debacle.

This time, the head guy was the rich son of some golf equipment maker - PURESTROKE. The kid did the usual interviews about the game, promising the usual set of impossible features: real consequences, a living world, massive customization, large-scale battles, player housing, full PvP, hundred-player raids, etc. Except, unlike Dawn, this guy was actually rich so he managed to scam a few php developers to work for him, so it was totally going to be real, so real, you guys!!!!!1

After months of empty promises and faked screenshots and forum wars, the rich kid melted down one too many times and finally scared off the last true believer. If I recall correctly, his insanity had real-world consequences as his rich daddy finally noticed where those few million had gone off to, and sent an embarrassed post shutting the whole thing down.

Man, early 2000s were the poo poo for crazy MMOs!

Edit: http://www.escapistmagazine.com/articles/view/video-games/issues/issue_12/77-Chasing-Phantoms

The whole story seems to be lost from the Internet, but that's a decent overview. Rich people are insane.

Thursday Next fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 13, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DapperDraculaDeer
Aug 4, 2007

I cant find it now, but I could swear there was an NPR show that did an interview with the Baumanns about their project. It might even have been Radiolab.

• Locked thread