Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Imo it's dumb that people need to join the military to get financial security in the first place.

It's a jobs program.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

The american war machine is a giant make work program and is the most consistently progressive program in american history. Only bourgeoisie scum would suggest it be dismantled

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

"I CAN'T BELIEVE I ATE THE WHOLE THING"
Buglord

Blue Train posted:

Hurt Locker is one of the worst movies I've ever seen and has a 97 on Rotten Tomatoes

Heh, I haven't even seen the Hurt Locker. :smuggo:

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just saying it seems useless to pile onto one soldier with who knows what background who joined up probably right out of school when the older wealthy and supposedly well educated politicians voted in are the ones making the decision to bomb hospitals and sell arms to the Saudis.

He didn't make the decision to go to war in Iraq.

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 22:06 on Jan 22, 2018

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
What's dumb is that the choice for the modern American trying to pay for college is either don't go, take on crippling debt with no salary/income promises on the other side, or join the military.

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Blue Train posted:

The american war machine is a giant make work program and is the most consistently progressive program in american history. Only bourgeoisie scum would suggest it be dismantled

also it is the core driver of the american high tech economy, using tax dollars to develop the technology that will in a few years be handed over to private industry so they can use it to gouge consumers

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

I'm just saying it seems useless to pile onto one soldier with who knows what background who joined up probably right out of school when the older wealthy and supposedly well educated politicians voted in are the ones making the decision to bomb hospitals and sell arms to the Saudis.

He didn't make the decision to go to war in Iraq.

if you voluntarily joined the american military you are a criminal full stop

paul_soccer10
Mar 28, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Moridin920 posted:

What's dumb is that the choice for the modern American trying to pay for college is either don't go, take on crippling debt with no salary/income promises on the other side, or join the military.

if you choose option #3 , you are a criminal

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011

paul_soccer10 posted:

:hai:

Teriyaki Koinku
Nov 25, 2008

Bread! Bread! Bread!

Bread! BREAD! BREAD!

Moridin920 posted:

Imo it's dumb that people need to join the military to get financial security in the first place.

It's a jobs program.

Huh, it's almost as if economic necessity functions as a pseudo-draft. 🤔

Dr. Carwash
Sep 16, 2006

Senpai...

General China posted:

Why were the peasant farmers in south east asia such a threat?

This question should be easy to answer because you lost btw

That image is really really loving old and was supposed to be alluding to WWII.

Magnitogorsk.
Nov 14, 2004

Global warming is barely a big deal at all compared to the trajectory we used to be on. We'll have to do a lot of environmental engineering projects along certain shorelines and it will be a little warmer and wetter in some places, big fucking deal.

Moridin920 posted:

If you don't have salary/income promises on the other side then you picked a clown degree for idiots. If you take on crippling debt you just plain hosed up. Go to community college for 2 years then transfer to the cheapest in-state school available. With the money you make from internships you should come out with an easily manageable amount of debt.

Back to the topic on hand, the government is full of incompetent dumbfucks because it is full of Americans, aka people who take on 6 figure debt for a degree they know up front is worthless

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord

Magnitogorsk. posted:

If you don't have salary/income promises on the other side then you picked a clown degree for idiots. If you take on crippling debt you just plain hosed up. Go to community college for 2 years then transfer to the cheapest in-state school available. With the money you make from internships you should come out with an easily manageable amount of debt.

Back to the topic on hand, the government is full of incompetent dumbfucks because it is full of Americans, aka people who take on 6 figure debt for a degree they know up front is worthless

All so easy. :smuggo:

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
Yeah, if you're unsuccessful in America (of all places) you might want to check yourself into the dumb house

Cough Drop The Beat
Jan 22, 2012

by Lowtax

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

"Yeah, if you're unsuccessful in America (of all places) you might want to check yourself into the dumb house" - Papa John's founder John "Papa John" Schnatter

Oscar Wild
Apr 11, 2006

It's good to be a G

paul_soccer10 posted:

But you're part of the biggest, most well funded criminal syndicate in the history of earth. That's pretty cool.

tenspott
Aug 1, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Everyone knows the problem is the Democrats yet nincompoops keep voting for them in hopes of freebies and handouts.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Magnitogorsk. posted:

If you don't have salary/income promises on the other side then you picked a clown degree for idiots. If you take on crippling debt you just plain hosed up. Go to community college for 2 years then transfer to the cheapest in-state school available.

A lot places (most places?) don't have a jr college program with guaranteed transfer deals.

And also supply demand exists if every single college grad for the next 3-5 yrs gets a stem degree lol if you think they'll all be making six figgies

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm just saying most people aren't educated to how hosed up poo poo really is when they are at enlistment age ya know

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
You're telling every 14 year old you know to get stem just like everyone told me at that age to get a law degree then turns out lol everyone got one and unless you went to a top 10 in the nation you're probably waiting tables or chasing ambulances

Lol this country is full of incompetents all the way down

Nerses IV
May 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Moridin920 posted:

You're telling every 14 year old you know to get stem just like everyone told me at that age to get a law degree then turns out lol everyone got one and unless you went to a top 10 in the nation you're probably waiting tables or chasing ambulances

I was gonna say a stem degree is actually useful in the real world no matter what, but then I remembered the 'm' stands for mathematics :smuggo:

A_Bug_That_Thinks
Mar 16, 2011

ASK ME ABOUT HOW MUCH I LOVE BIG SAGGY POKEMON TITS
T and E degrees are fine for a four year bachelor's. If you're S or M it's a Mandatory PhD or you'll spend your career tickling someone else's rear end. Even then, if youre not a good phd you'll still be tickling their fronts.

Instruction Manuel
May 15, 2007

Yes, it is what it looks like!

A_Bug_That_Thinks posted:

you'll spend your career tickling someone else's rear end.

Whoa, how do I get in on this action

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
This whole question of college degrees seem kinda moot when most of the projected job growth in America is in industries that do not require a college degree.

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

quote:

Imagine the average young person, and a few characteristics come to mind: tech-obsessed, college graduate, employed at a Silicon Valley startup.

Yet, only around thirty percent of this generation are likely to receive four-year undergraduate degrees. And few of the "jobs of the future" are to be found in sectors glamorized by television like tech or artisanal brewing. The Bureau of Labor Statistics projects that between 2012 and 2022, the fastest-growing occupations are now and will continue to be dominated by health care jobs. Meanwhile, the top ten jobs with the greatest numerical growth are mostly jobs with lower wages and few skill requirements. Six of the ten occupations with the most job growth -- personal care aides, retail salespersons, home health aides, food preparation workers, janitors and cleaners, and construction laborers -- require less than a high school education.

The typical Millennials, then, will be neither tech geeks nor startup entrepreneurs. They will be Americans with high school educations or less working in service sector occupations at jobs that pay relatively low wages and provide few or no benefits.

https://www.vox.com/2014/10/27/7072485/stem-and-startups

BrutalistMcDonalds
Oct 4, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
Basically the U.S. is turning into Brazil with a small elite that has all the money and a mass proletarianization of everyone else, with politics becoming a reality T.V. show spectacle of warring celebrities. This is the future you were promised.

I'm ready for Oprah 2020 while I transition to a new career shoving consumer products into packages at an Amazon conveyor belt.

Moridin920 posted:

Well it's not bad advice to get a STEM degree if you can manage it, but your point is correct. The economy actually and physically cannot create enough STEM jobs to employ everyone. In fact it can only employ a relatively small number of the population.

More:

quote:

The vast majority of new jobs will not require the skills associated with workers in the lucrative but small high-tech sector. It would have been absurd in the 1930s to teach all American schoolchildren the essentials of electric wiring, on the theory that the nation had entered the Age of Electricity and most Americans would soon be electricians. It is equally absurd to say that success in the information age for most American children—and not just those who grow up to join the small segment of the workforce in the tech sector—will depend on their ability to write code or take part in a tech startup.

We have a good idea of what the real “jobs of the future” are—and very few of them are tech sector jobs that require STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering and Math) education. According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the occupations with the greatest job growth between 2014 and 2024 will be personal care aides, registered nurses, home health aides, combined food-preparation and serving workers (including fast food), retail salespersons, nursing assistants, customer service representatives, cooks (restaurant), general and operations managers, and construction laborers. There is not a conventional tech job in the Top 10 list, though one can be found if you go down to No. 14—software developers (applications).

Of the top 10 jobs of the next decade, only registered nurses and general and operations managers require education beyond high school and limited training. And with the exception of registered nurses, with a median annual wage of $66,640, and general and operations managers, with a median annual wage in 2014 of $97,270, the other occupations with the most job openings pay between $18,410 a year (combined food preparation and serving workers) and $31,200 a year (customer service representatives).

The most recent job creation data confirms the predictions of the BLS. Between January 2015 and January 2016, here are the sectors that added the most jobs: education and health (620,000); professional services, defined as accounting, engineering and entertainment (620,000); hotels, restaurants and entertainment (458,000); and construction (264,000). In contrast with these sectors, the manufacturing sector beloved by populists and labor liberals alike added few jobs (45,000)—while the information (telecom, publishing) sector added even fewer (28,000). The financial services sector enjoys a disproportionate share of income, but created only 149,000 jobs in 2015. Government created only 78,000 jobs, giving the lie to conservatives and libertarians who claim that public sector employment is exploding and crowding out private enterprise. All of these sectors—manufacturing, information, financial services, and government—combined added fewer jobs than retail alone (301,000).

https://www.politico.com/magazine/story/2016/03/trump-is-wrong-213651
Keep in mind that "health" doesn't just mean doctors. Think more changing bedpans at assisted living facilities as the Baby Boomers retire en masse.

Software engineers are not even in the top 10 in terms of job growth, although they are at number 14.

BrutalistMcDonalds fucked around with this message at 00:27 on Jan 24, 2018

BigBadSteve
Apr 29, 2009

OP, do you govern from home?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Well it's not bad advice to get a STEM degree if you can manage it

No it's def not but I just dislike the "lol just get a STEM degree idiot what's the problem if you fail in the USA you're just stupid" mentality.

Blue Train
Jun 17, 2012

BrutalistMcDonalds posted:

Basically the U.S. is turning into Brazil with a small elite that has all the money and a mass proletarianization of everyone else,

Looking forward to my sweet favela

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Families sleeping in the cars in the southwest
No home, no job, no peace, no rest

Well the highway is alive tonight
But nobody's kidding nobody about where it goes
I'm sitting down here in the campfire light
Searching for the ghost of Tom Joad

Blockade
Oct 22, 2008

If we all study real hard and get STEM degrees, then everyone can all make a facebook and be millionaires and live in mansions with servants. Why are you whiny millennials not getting this?

Kuato
Feb 25, 2005

Buglord
Pro athletes make bank. Maybe some of them dumb poors should think about doing that instead of being poor. Morans!

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

quote:

Leave this field, leave this prison
Tell you motherfuckers where to kiss 'em
I wanna be all broke up, moving all old and slow
I wanna be a alcoholic just like Broadway Joe
I wanna be a sideshow, kinda like Iron Mike
Used to have a few Bentleys, now I just ride a bike

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

Don't forget the classism against people who didn't go to 4 year colleges.

• Locked thread