Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Nintendo Labo is a new line of learning toys/games from Nintendo for the Nintendo Switch.

Make: You assemble a simple cardboard thing, called a Toy-Con, and then insert the Switch Joy-Cons. The accelerometer, gyroscope, and IR sensor on the Joy-Con combine with the Toy-Con to create a unique video game controller.

Play: Using the Toy-Con you then play a game on the Switch.

Discover: Then you learn the mechanical and scientific principles which make the Toy-Con work

The first two Labo things will be released on April 20th

Toy-Con 01: Variety Kit comes with a piano, two RC cars, a fishing rod, handlebars, a house, and a Switch cartridge with the instructions and games for them.

Toy-Con 02: Robot Kit comes with a robot control system and a Switch cartridge with instructions and the robot game.

The Labo Customization Kit includes some stickers and tape for prettying up your Toy-Cons

Guy Goodbody fucked around with this message at 23:31 on Jan 21, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
I can't believe the WiiU was replaced with cardboard.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

Hello! I see you.

No "Box" tag (), voting 1

That aside, I love watching ~serious gamers~ having meltdowns over Labo on Twitter and various forums. Labo isn't something I'd be into, but it looks like a fun thing for kids and it's not like Nintendo's shutting down all their game development to focus on cardboard toys so whatever.

DMorbid fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Jan 21, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Doc Morbid posted:

it's not like Nintendo's shutting down all their game development to focus on cardboard toys so whatever.

Well, not yet.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i hope they do :twisted:

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I really hope to see what some enterprising people in the community can do with the fact that reflective strips are used to read the Labo gadgets.

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
1st page in a cardboard thread.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Doc Morbid posted:

That aside, I love watching ~serious gamers~ having meltdowns over Labo on Twitter and various forums. Labo isn't something I'd be into, but it looks like a fun thing for kids and it's not like Nintendo's shutting down all their game development to focus on cardboard toys so whatever.

it will, actually, just like amiibo prevented them from releasing the best zelda game in 25 years

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:
So uh, what happens when the templates get uploaded an hour after they go on sale?

Forgot it came with a cartridge. Nevermind. :doh:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

How long will the cardboard last is you don't wear gloves when handling it?

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
i wonder if they'll have some sort of "replacement cardboard" option for verified owners of the game or some such

because come the gently caress on, it's cardboard. don't be cheap, nintendo

Vakal
May 11, 2008
I'm sure the cardboard will be treated with the finest chemicals industrial china can produce.

cuntman.net
Mar 1, 2013

i bet theyre hoping bill watterson dies soon so they can make the calvin and hobbes licensed game

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Nintendo Brand Duct Tape

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

SelenicMartian posted:

How long will the cardboard last is you don't wear gloves when handling it?

You need to wear gloves when you handle cardboard? How sweaty are your hands?

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

If those games get intense, then sweat and oil coupled with friction are going to kill the cardboard handles pretty fast.

Bieeanshee
Aug 21, 2000

Not keen on keening.

Grimey Drawer
I thought the ROB had a really cute gimmick, when the NES was new. This reminds me a lot of that, only not as godawfully finicky, and really actually clever. Almost makes me want a Switch just for this.

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

The idea to make an rc car out of a piece of cardboard and the joy-cons rumble features, while also using the console itself as the rc controller, is goddamned genius and worth it for that alone.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

I'm stoked, even at 2-3 hours of entertainment, I'll consider it worth while as a grown man, desperate to recapture the gaming joy of his youth.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

^burtle posted:

I'm stoked, even at 2-3 hours of entertainment, I'll consider it worth while as a grown man, desperate to recapture the gaming joy of his youth.

I'm waiting for the day when, like the Cards Against Humanity people, Nintendo decides to release a cardboard box containing nothing but bullshit and revels in making millions from its broke-brain fans going :shepspends:

Oh wait, that day is here.

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

LuiCypher posted:

I'm waiting for the day when, like the Cards Against Humanity people, Nintendo decides to release a cardboard box containing nothing but bullshit and revels in making millions from its broke-brain fans going :shepspends:

I guess I don't understand this mentality of roasting people for spending their cash how they want? $60 is a few beers and a meal out one night compared to a few hours of entertainment?

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

LuiCypher posted:

Labo is actually multiple cardboard boxes containing simple cardboard machines that interact with the technology in the Joy-Con to create unique video game controllers

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
Gyromite was awesome

HuntSAC
Jan 10, 2014
Oh Nintendo, what will you be marketing next. The worst part about it is that it looks kinda fun.

Asclepius
Mar 20, 2011
Childish adult checking in. Feeling bad for all the people who really want some cardboard in their life but don't have enough disposable income, and their cognitive dissonance is causing them to badmouth this neato idea.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

The thing with the durability is that on average cardboard can be recycled 6 - 7 times before it won't hold up anymore. Things like electronics packaging is right at the start of that. Think how hard to can be to get an SD card out of its packaging, or other electronics. Shipping boxes are more towards the middle, and pizza boxes are cardboard on its last legs, basically good for nothing but being turned into pulp.

:lol: if you don't think Nintendo is going to be actively manufacturing the cardboard for this. Why would they recycle it and have crappier durability?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Labo looks cool.
I am excited for Labo.

Labo

LABO

LABO!

Mans
Sep 14, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

^burtle posted:

I guess I don't understand this mentality of roasting people for spending their cash how they want? $60 is a few beers and a meal out one night compared to a few hours of entertainment?

jesus christ where are you going out at night?

^burtle
Jul 17, 2001

God of Boomin'

Mans posted:

jesus christ where are you going out at night?

Minneapolis / Des Moines / Ann Arbor area. 2 drinks and a meal each for the lady and I. I'm not saying it is $60 spot on but just ball parking.

The Lobster
Sep 3, 2011

Massive
Avian
Rear
Images

^burtle posted:

Minneapolis / Des Moines / Ann Arbor area. 2 drinks and a meal each for the lady and I. I'm not saying it is $60 spot on but just ball parking.

I went out for dinner with my dad tonight and he got a beer (I drank water). App for him, two entrees, and two desserts, came to $80 after tip. I live in rural WV. It's totally possible dude.

E: Mid-tier family owned restaurant, nothing super fancy. The lady at the table next to us was wearing a sweatshirt. More interestingly, the little girl at the table behind us was playing Odyssey on her Switch.

The Lobster fucked around with this message at 09:43 on Jan 24, 2018

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
new deets from Kotaku

When Nintendo Labo launches this April, it will come with a feature called Toy Con Garage that lets you use rudimentary programming to build and customize your own cardboard robots, Nintendo announced today. Some of the custom toys Nintendo showed off included an electric guitar and a basic game of electronic tennis.

At an event in New York this afternoon, Nintendo representatives demonstrated this Toy Con Garage, which uses simple “building blocks” to let you program your devices. They’re essentially “if-then” statements. When you open up the program, you can select from a number of blocks based on input options for your Switch’s controllers, then connect them to other blocks based on output options. For example, you can connect the left Switch controller’s up button (input) to the right Switch controller’s vibration feature (output), so whenever you press up on the left Joy Con, the right Joy Con will buzz.

This is how Nintendo Labo users will be able to expand beyond the six types of cardboard creations included in the Variety Set or the one included in the Robot Set. Instead of making a piano, you can make a guitar. Instead of making a toy car, you can build a little cardboard man who falls flat on his face. You can mix and match different programs’ functionality—using the fishing rod to play music, for example—and you can even add extra Joy Cons to build even more elaborate programs.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Looks like the motorbike game will let you create your own tracks

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
Imagine if they ported Monster Hunter World and added Labo support together with a new kit that lets you build your own Switch Axe and Charge Blade that actually transform

caldrax
Jan 21, 2001

i learned it from watching you
I'm listening to the Wired spoken edition podcast about this thing and the dude reading the article aloud thinks it's called "LARBO" and it's driving me a little nuts.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Al Borland Corp. posted:

Japanese Labo trailer. All of these look a ton more detailed with more modes than I imagined

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qpw4cazw7lM

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
You can create original fish

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oPlR42UqRFg

Pharohman777
Jan 14, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
I cant wait to see what multi Joycon monstrosities are going to be made with Toy-con Garage and a 3d printer.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
Japan getting more tape

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
I wish I was actually 12. Or 8. 8, would be better. Then this thing would be awesome.

As it is, it looks like each "game" would be fun for 3 minutes.

• Locked thread