Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

GulagDolls posted:

the type of survivor with unlimited night kills, that they can use

I wish, night kills would make my job a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
And she's dancing like she's never danced before

jon joe posted:

No, but it gives me an excuse to post a lot so I don’t die. Hey!

..... :psyduck:

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

My soul isn’t very much in this game. My heart, by force, but not my soul. I refuse to die though, so I’m making a calculated gambit for my own amusement.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

b-minus1 posted:

that is a good point. i'm pretty sure i've only played with Sal when he was town, and he was way more active in those games, and wasn't afraid to post reads even if they were wrong. would vote sal if he doesnt show up

##List 1:b-minus1 2:SalTheBard

I have a theory and I hope your tinfoil is secure as mine.

b-minus1 posted:

Would rather lynch one of the 10+ lurkers

I looked back at this after the trend in lurker deaths started, and I believe that commentary made by Berman and Sal betrays that they have knowledge that does not.

While, this post seemed innocuous at first it began to look concerning here:

b-minus1 posted:

It’s time to call out LURKING SCUM

Atomic Soda
Chic Trombone
Dead Cow
Iron Chef Ramen
jon joe
Li Dawny
PMush Perfect
Pththya-lyi
Tobbs Gnawed
Token Female

This too is in retrospect, but I feel like bee was trying to establish a narrative early on that the scum were lurking, when scum killed lurkers that night...

b-minus1 posted:

very strange nk choices.

b-minus1 posted:

I think hal was the scum nk, and eat the rich somehow died by visiting their watch target.
Seems oddly specific

b-minus1 posted:

to be honest, not much. i guess it could go either way, just seemed like hal actually provided a read. i really don't understand why out of all people, scum chose to nk a lurker.

summary of hal's posts: nominated kash and agreed with Gulag about token's scumread of ngo.
eat the rich made literally one game-related post, a vote to lynch kash.

that's it.
This explanation seemed fair I can't deny tjat, but the following self-aware suspicions post seems strange. I feel like I'm being buddied up to, and then bee gives their own meta justifications as well. It just reads off to me.

b-minus1 posted:

actually this is how i feel too.

AA has been one of my stronger town reads for most of the game, but I don't understand some of his posts/accusations directed at me

that's just simply not true. i only lurk when im scum and thats because im usually afraid to post. i give no less fucks about posting this game.

Sal is super weird this game. Really no scum hunting and he hangs on to every weird speculative theory like it's fact. Something is off.

SalTheBard posted:

Normally I would say cuddling a lurker is scummy but Tobbs has literally only posted 4 times so I would rather go that way than to miscuddle Kash who is actively playing.

SalTheBard posted:

It looks like LD and Iron Chef will be next. I think this idea of no scum team, race to the most posts or modkilled is great but then why give people investigative abilities???

SalTheBard posted:

I actually think this is totally plausible. Maybe our Wincon has something to do with the clubs.

50 was that your idea or was that Peras idea?

##Join:Gardening Club

SalTheBard posted:

50 did you come up with the idea of clubs or was that a directive for you? I wonder if one we set clubs this us going to turn into a club vs club thing, but that doesn't even make sense because that's public. My character sheet has a club on it. Does anyone else's?

Dead Cow
Nov 4, 2009

Passion makes the world go round.
Love just makes it a safer place.

Token Female posted:

I would be happy voting for following in no particular order:

Natural 20: There were a lot of posts about finding the president but none about finding scum. Didn't even vote for president. Never commented about how 50 totally has a made up role until now. Has been really impartial until that last post. Like on day 2 at some point I checked the OP to see if Natural 20 was a co-mod.

I literally did the same thing.

##LIST 1. SalTheBard 2.Natural20

Absolutely nothing has changed for me about Sal, and Nat20 has been doing the coasting on the non scum hunting parts of this game

I'm probably not going to hit the post count limit as I refuse to just spam the thread like JJ is doing

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer
Quick, more people react to my claim

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

JJ why the gently caress would you claim

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Is that alright JJ?

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

it's not like it's some huge administrative burden here :v: This is the single best presidential thing 50's done actually, imo. Ask people to make it very clear who their top 2 scum suspects are, it should cut through a lot of the white noise problem you were worried about?

So a lot of this comes from my thoughts having been scum basically all the time and from having modded a bunch of games now.

If what you're saying is correct, then our meta strategy D1 in mafia should be for everyone to post Lumpenlists and threaten to lynch anyone who doesn't.

But we don't do that.

This is because whilst open understanding of motivations enables town members to make better decisions, it is even more beneficial for scum, especially early in game. (At the moment my broad thought is that we're in an effective D1 for this game. D1 and D2 themselves are too muddled with presidential voting and our lynch in D2 was really uninformative. Having not hit scum and with the early days being a void this is effectively just a D1.)

Anyway, as a scum player, if everyone posts their motivations and suspicions ahead of time, you're much better able to plan out your ability usage. You can have a scum member people are sus on fail to act, you can kill people in such a way to cause their suspicions to form where you want them to.

If everyone posts lumpenlists honestly then it's a genuinely powerful tool for scum's long term game planning. And scum are better able to long term plan because of their informational and communicative advantages.

As the game goes on and it becomes harder to cover actions lumpenlists become a stronger tool to force people to engage since motivations are more strongly tied together, but broadly I think they're very bad early game.

So the only option a town member has if they want to avoid this is to lie on their lumpenlist to avoid a scum advantage, which renders the entire point, town dissemination of motives absolutely pointless. Additionally if they expose this, they're then accused of lying and are more likely to die.

So yeah, basically it's also a bad idea that generally helps scum.

As an aside, my list is basically meaningless, I haven't done a thread reread and won't until I get home today, at which point I'll make notes and keep my thoughts to myself.

You know what a much better mandate would be?

Case a single player of your choice. Start the post with ##case. It doesn't matter whether you come down on the player as Town or Scum, but I expect the post to have 200 of your own words minimum.

Emmideer
Oct 20, 2011

Lovely night, no?
Grimey Drawer

give head or get dead posted:

JJ why the gently caress would you claim

It all started when I was born. You see, my mother decided to...

give head or get dead posted:

Is that alright JJ?

Yes thank you.

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor
AA the tinfoil hat looks good on you. but seriously everyone, AA is town and those cases and against me (and sal) are genuine. no way aa is scum imo. however, I'm not scum either. no idea about sal, but it's not looking good for him. and btw I'm not purposely trying to buddy up to you. you were one of my early town reads and nothing you've posted has changed that read.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
##list 1. bread 2. also bread

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Does this look like the face of mercy, kupo?
##List: 1.bminus 2. AA

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

So a lot of this comes from my thoughts having been scum basically all the time and from having modded a bunch of games now.

This was a cool post just to ponder overall Mafia theory, but it's not like 50's asking for full lumpenlists. He's just after everyone's top 2 suspects, and that can leave a lot of people's other opinions out. I know I got a lot of other people I'm looking at as kinda scummy.

I think in this particular case it's also to directly aid him in deciding the best person to use his download cop on.

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

curiousCat posted:

This is exactly my point.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Anomalous Amalgam posted:

This is exactly my point.

huh, what point

b-minus1
Jul 24, 2008

She's a maniac, maniac
on the floor

curiousCat posted:

this is the best one yet

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

This was a cool post just to ponder overall Mafia theory, but it's not like 50's asking for full lumpenlists. He's just after everyone's top 2 suspects, and that can leave a lot of people's other opinions out. I know I got a lot of other people I'm looking at as kinda scummy.

I think in this particular case it's also to directly aid him in deciding the best person to use his download cop on.

I still think these listings are going to be really strong for scum. I know people are smart enough to hide motivations, but it's a lot of free information to operate from.

Especially given the cop requires him to die and he can always delay by saying he can get more people as long as he lives. (But then I'm super skeptical of the entire claim to begin with)

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

There is a very specific reason the lists were asked for.

Unlike the club shenanigans this will have direct impact on the game.

## vote nat20

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

It's almost like their responses are coordinated or something

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

hmmmmm
why would that be

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

I still think these listings are going to be really strong for scum. I know people are smart enough to hide motivations, but it's a lot of free information to operate from.

Especially given the cop requires him to die and he can always delay by saying he can get more people as long as he lives. (But then I'm super skeptical of the entire claim to begin with)

man I thought the common wisdom was you don't go spilling all your town reads too quickly so it lets scum know who they can't mislunch, this "don't share your scum reads" either thing is pretty alien to me :v:

I don't think people are gonna want 50 to hang around too long. We know how long his presidential deathproof phase is (2 nights). After that it's probably best for him to fall on his sword and share what he has straight away, in case scum got a jugg or something. Hanging around longer would be better, but not at the cost of losing his info. His fault for coming out and claiming for no reason instead of trying to lie low.

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby
##list 1. nat 20 2. ngo

nat 20's play reminds me of shine. also no one told you you couldn't vote or nominate you decided that yourself?

ngo i feel a little less sure after his response re: aliens but has been posting alot with not a lot of content.

jj claiming survivor makes me feel better re the setup, has mostly been white noise so would vote to test claim. would also vote are lil d, b-minus tho i read him completely wrong in twewy. cat popping in and out w/o much casing is not good.

feeling better about ghgd. flerp seems weird this game, i've only seen him as tonw. sal should post more tho i don't necessarily think he is scum. i don't really trust bread but what you gunna do?

gene x id love to hear your case

##vote n20

give head or get dead
Feb 16, 2010

Can we have the opposite. I want the gardening club to have a direct impact on our game :sun:

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Natural 20 posted:

I don’t buy that any possible scumteam has the meta-knowledge required to know how specific players will react to specific deaths based solely or even primarily on readlists

I further think that the idea of everyone revealing suspicions being more of a scum-aid than a town+ is dumb, and that the ability to ask people why their reads changed when they change is quite nice (because it’s even harder to bullshit than a read alone.)

Anomalous Amalgam
Feb 13, 2015

by Nyc_Tattoo
Doctor Rope

Bifauxnen posted:

huh, what point

that the buddying has associated me with bee man who is aggressively trying to clear me as town. I mean, I am town, and I appreciate the read, but that reinforcement and continual "OH, AA IS SO TOWN, MY STRONGEST READ" it seems fake, esp. when everyone is usually like, "AA you scumbo, gitgud"

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

bif get off of li dawny
people get off pmush
they die in 6 and a half hours unless they each come and post 15+ times why even bother

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

Natural 20 posted:

this first para is an interesting position

curiousCat
Sep 23, 2012

Atomic Soda posted:

. cat popping in and out w/o much casing is not good.

I don't really case but in this game the only people we've really seen die are kashuno and lurkers
the only logical reason for that from my perspective is that there are scum in high postcounts helping to lead discussion
and those two have been doing a weird half-buddying thing for a day and a half

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

curiousCat posted:

bif get off of li dawny
people get off pmush
they die in 6 and a half hours unless they each come and post 15+ times why even bother

yeah, I'm liking some of the cases on Nat20 now but it makes me sad :(

##vote Nat

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Bifauxnen posted:

yeah, I'm liking some of the cases on Nat20 now but it makes me sad :(

##vote Nat

Bif you don't want to do this.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

vote sal instead

Iron Chef Ramen
Sep 15, 2007

HA HA! YOU HAVE CHOSEN POORLY!
##List: 1. b-minus1 2. Natural 20

b-minus feels like he's been all over the board trying to get something to stick. Natural 20's post about not sharing thoughts and information in thread, our only method of sharing thoughts and information, seems really bizarre, and I feel he's been around long enough to know that's terrible advice for town.

Jen X
Sep 29, 2014

To bring light to the darkness, whether that darkness be ignorance, injustice, apathy, or stagnation.

Atomic Soda posted:

yeah agreed.

i'm nominating gulag cause he seemed to be at least attempting to find scum, he's not buddying up to ppl to get votes, and i feel more comfortable with him than kash (as the two then vote leaders). not really wanting to nominate asiina at this stage what with the rampant gifs, feels like smokescreening, i don't think posting more than usual is a great tell to go off esp when so many posts have been content-less.

either way we need to pick, scum must be loving this.

Hey I think I found the reason why I have a bad feeling about AS

Gulagdolls posted a bit about asiina prior to this and also defended dead cow a tad, the actual scumhunting came later. Meanwhile the attribution of “smokescreening” to asiina’s dog gifs just doesn’t strike me as legit, there’s an implication that she’s hiding behind them when the day was spent with Asiina specifically not doing so, turning them into an afterthought

In other words I don’t think either read expressed here is genuine or accurate

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.

Iron Chef Ramen posted:

##List: 1. b-minus1 2. Natural 20

b-minus feels like he's been all over the board trying to get something to stick. Natural 20's post about not sharing thoughts and information in thread, our only method of sharing thoughts and information, seems really bizarre, and I feel he's been around long enough to know that's terrible advice for town.

Jesus christ.

Sharing information is fine. Sharing explicit motivations about two players in a clear, easy to Excel format is bad.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Saviour of Hallownest.
Like seriously, does nobody actually use excel to remember things from game to game? I'd forget half the people I'd ever played with if I didn't have it.

GulagDolls
Jun 4, 2011

i don't and then at the end of the game i usually say something that informs everyone that i had no idea what was happening at all, during the game.

Bifauxnen
Aug 12, 2010

Curses! Foiled again!

Natural 20 posted:

Jesus christ.

Sharing information is fine. Sharing explicit motivations about two players in a clear, easy to Excel format is bad.

what do you mean, "sharing motivations"? Do you mean saying exactly WHY you think they're scum? ...so like scum can try and correct what they're doing? idk, course over-correction can also be a tell :v:

Natural 20 posted:

Like seriously, does nobody actually use excel to remember things from game to game? I'd forget half the people I'd ever played with if I didn't have it.

Well obvi- wait, from game to game? Are you talking like meta poo poo? Oh, no, I got my hands full enough just doing up spreadsheets for individual games.

flerp
Feb 25, 2014
wasnt the whole point of the list thing to get people to post their scum reads in easily readable formats so we could look at them and judge them easily???

also im lost as to why this favors scum in any way more than town. its just posting reads which people should be doing anyways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Atomic Soda
Jun 9, 2005

drink this baby

GeneX posted:

Hey I think I found the reason why I have a bad feeling about AS

Gulagdolls posted a bit about asiina prior to this and also defended dead cow a tad, the actual scumhunting came later. Meanwhile the attribution of “smokescreening” to asiina’s dog gifs just doesn’t strike me as legit, there’s an implication that she’s hiding behind them when the day was spent with Asiina specifically not doing so, turning them into an afterthought

In other words I don’t think either read expressed here is genuine or accurate

gulag actually paid attention re: ghgd, which i liked despite now changing my read. i stand by the bit re: asiina though i think her recent posting has been fine. your case seems fake and incorrect.

flerp posted:

wasnt the whole point of the list thing to get people to post their scum reads in easily readable formats so we could look at them and judge them easily???

also im lost as to why this favors scum in any way more than town. its just posting reads which people should be doing anyways.

exactly getting lots of reads from many people is good for towm or am i going mad?

• Locked thread