Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Can you attack other bases ala Phantom Pain, or is online stuff purely coop?

And how are the micro transactions?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Do you feel the game is designed around having extra teams and is there a way to get them with ingame currency?

I can take or leave vanity stuff, and save slots aren't an issue, but if the boosts are needed for anything more than day to day progress I'll be pissed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
That's reassuring to hear, cheers. Is there PP level of loving about with base personnel, or is it more linear than that?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Quicksilver6 posted:

Pretty much TPP/PW with a couple wrinkles. you can change their name. Yes, you can make everyone Dongs or Goku. Their life is actually a stat, and too many injuries/illnesses can kill them. Everyone has an employment history that hints what they would be best at. Their overall performance over time is measured on a graph and marks job changes so you can deduce what jobs are best suited. There are a lot of little intricacies

Oh, and they wear different clothes too. Mr. Business suit has no problems farming, however.

Oh my god

Sold.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This is going to be arriving tomorrow. Is there a point in the campaign where its suggested I work up to before dicking about, or is the game pretty open with its systems early on?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks guys. I have a horrible urge to break free of the story ASAP, but CJacobs video made me think that'd just gently caress me over. :ohdear:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yeah, appreciated. As someone who spent an ungodly time recruiting soldiers in Phantom Pain, all the footage I see is hitting my buttons.

If nothing else it gets me away from.monster hunter for a bit. :v:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
They really need a random codename generator for chargen.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Jesus, game doesn't gently caress around. Sneaking around for the second and third memory boards - single noise brought down the entire base, not good when I only have a spear.

What's the death penalty, if it at all exists?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Huh, figures the game would kick you while you were down. Guess not. :haw:

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This game is not endearing itself to me. I'm at the small base north east of your home camp, and I just cannot get a handle on how to infiltrate. There are so many wanderers with so many overlapping patrol routes that the distraction bottles draw hordes from around corners I'm hiding behind, and if I'm spotted and run away the zombies don't shift back to their original area so I now have groups completely blocking the two entrances.

Im at a loss here. Clueless as to why I'm so terrible.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Running past them just lead to the problem of a Horde waiting for to come back. :v:

But yeah, bitching about it seems to have done the trick and I got in without trouble. Still trying to shake the idea they're undead MGS guards, I guess.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
So now I have no food, water has given me the shits and aaaaaag

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Does the game ever lose that pace? Rush rush rush us a bit disappointing.

CJacobs posted:

I'm going to tell you this right now because the game never ever mentions it: Survive starts off every new save with 5 or so of each cure item. Check your storehouse at your base for them.

You are wonderful. Stopping to puke my rear end out was getting me killed. Understand its to make a later supply of clean water meaningful, but holy moley.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Hey thanks for all the advice guys. I'm dealing with much larger wanderer groups now, and am slowly shaking off habits a platinum in Phantom Pain formed.

Still pussy about the clean water thing, mind.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I can now boil water. Oh baby now we're talking.

Just need more potatoes and I'll be happy on longer excursion

E: When's a good point to do salvage missions, and whats that little WiFi signal next to my food and thirst bars?

poptart_fairy fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Mar 1, 2018

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

TheBlandName posted:

The little WiFi signal means that your position is currently displayed on the map, and you can set and view waypoints to reorient yourself. It's caused by A: being in a map grid that you explored in a previous trip, or B: being in a map grid that counts as a path near an activated teleporter.

Oh man, I assumed it was a collectibles thing and was running around looking for stuff when I saw it.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Something clicked and I'm now a survival badass. :smug:

Rough start but man I'm seeing the potential here. Want to dive into multiplayer before it inevitably dies.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Lexorin posted:

I like how in all the co-op missions I've done, I routinely kill far fewer mobs than anyone else and yet always come in first place for points. I assume because I'm the only one doing the side quest things and picking up the rainbow orb thingies in between waves.

Any tips for MP so I'm not a liability?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the advice guys. I'll push further in the story before MP I think. The level difference made me feel daft even if I can contrubute other ways.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is anyone making good use of the CQC skills? I'm just poking everything with a spear and that seems to do the job well enough.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Thanks for the feedback guys. Lot more to this game than I thought there'd be.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is it ever possible to carry multiple back weapons? The Trench shovel is never coming off my hip, but choosing between a spear and bow drives me mad.

Also I love all the dangly belts and poo poo keeping your items on the character.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a tool to help track loot crates, or is it purely the (pretty awesome and atmospheric actually) sky lights?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Roughly how long does it take for cooked food to spoil?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Aww man, do distress signals respawn? I got one from Miranda, but the dude died because there was a sheer cliff between him and the base, with no way down there through the dust.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
As long as I can play metal gear base management I'm happy.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Yikes, I have to crawl across the entire map to unfog it. That's a little concerning but also a bit exciting.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I start every session by running West with 50 bottles and the intent to punch some sheep.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Tagging and mapping is weirdly addictive.

Metal Gear Surveyor when.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
It doesn't seem to do directly, but the noise made will ensure they're lured in regardless.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
This game is what I wanted Fortnite to be. Something about it all has just clicked.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
My only issue is with the vomiting being a stun. That's a little bit harsh for so early - the other penalties reinforce that you can't just cheap out with no consequence.

Also how do the craft able flags work, exactly? Do they work in the dust?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cool. Time to put all those sacks to good use.

Also I'm a little confused by multiplayer. I nabbed a couple of machine gun turrets from side missions, but I couldn't find them in my inventory and nobody else seemed to use them. What gives?

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Ooooh poo poo, that makes "sense" then. I should probably wait until I'm much higher level before doing this then. Those waves are brutal.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Speaking of the plot, I've only just met Chris but I'm getting intrigued. All these recycled Mgs5 assets aren't just a meta thing, Methinks...

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Dammit, there's a limit on the map stamps. How can I satisfy my brain without being able to mark literally every resource?!

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
I'm guessing the exploration teams are intended as a resource supplement more than anything else? The stuff I can get is pretty drat common anyway.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Cheers for the clarification.

And man, the compound bow is a bit disappointing. No appreciable damage gain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Is there a way, besides "don't get hit stupid", to avoid being knocked down? I keep getting a nasty Wanderer combo where they knock me down onto the floor with a super quick swipe, and get in two nasty hits before I can start getting up again.

• Locked thread